PDA

View Full Version : Pin Gauges

crabo
11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I just got my set today. Each pin is wrapped. Do I need to keep them wrapped up or can I leave them unwrapped after I use them?

Thanks,

357maximum
11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
do not make no difference...just protect them from the evil rust monster

crabo
11-07-2008, 01:28 AM
That is what I am wondering... do they rust easily?

JSnover
11-07-2008, 02:17 AM
That is what I am wondering... do they rust easily?

They can. Don't store them dry. I wipe mine with a dry cloth before use and an oiled cloth after.

Buckshot
11-07-2008, 02:43 AM
............They don't TEND to rust as they're a tool steel and hardened to between 58 and 62 RC. However, they will rust over time, sooner if handled, and quicker if handled and in a more humid area. Best thing is to take a lintless rag (T shirt material works great) cut a piece about 8x8 inches. If you have some spray oil like silicone, spray both sides of the rag. After handling a gage wipe it before placeing it back in it's hole. If no spray lube, fold the rag up loosely into about a 2x2" square and put a generous dollop of a light oil on it and place into a zip-loc baggie. Pu the baggie into the container with the gages. In a couple days you can take it out of the plastic bag. The oil should have migrated completely through it.

...............Buckshot

crabo
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks, that's what I need to know. Since I probably won't use them very often, I'll keep wrapping them until that paper is trashed, then I'll do the rag thing. But I suspect I will find more uses for them now that I have them.

KCSO
11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Warning... If you use blueing salts or muratic acid in your shop everything willl rust.

lathesmith
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Those little pieces of paper have a tendency over time to dry out and make an icky mess that can be difficult to clean off. This may take a couple of years though, and it depends on the conditions in your shop. High heat and humidity are the worst. Keeping them clean and covered is the main thing, and like others have posted here a light oiling is a good idea.
lathesmith