PDA

View Full Version : Iver Johnson 3rd Model .38 Double Action Only?

rjbuilder
10-31-2019, 05:43 PM
Hi people:

I recently acquired a Iver Johnson 3rd Model in .38 S&W. Blue steel, Serial #H4011. (would like DOM if possible) It has the coil hammer spring and the 4 pins on the frame and an exposed hammer. It was sold to me as a double action only? revolver. Sure enough when I pull back the hammer it does not stay cocked. The only means of firing the gun is to pull the trigger in double action mode. I can't seem to find any info that this is normal. Every thread I've read says and shows this model can be cocked to fire single action. Was there a 3rd model .38 other than the hammerless design that was double action only? Old guy needs help. Thanks,
Richard

Dan Cash
10-31-2019, 10:12 PM
I think Bubba was somewhere in the area.

one-eyed fat man
10-31-2019, 11:03 PM
The exposed hammer guns were single and double action both. As Dan suggests, Bubba and his Dremel are the ususal suspects. The number visible on the trigger guard is only part of the serial number.

The whole number with its prefix will be visible on the left side of the frame after the grip is removed.

The DOM info you want is in this book. (https://www.amazon.com/Iver-Johnson-Cycle-Firearms-1871-1993/dp/0978708601)

rjbuilder
11-01-2019, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys,
I thought they were double and single also. The gun was so nice I couldn't pass it up though. I think I may have to remove the hammer and see if the single action notch has been filed off. If so I will order a replacement hammer.
Richard

rintinglen
11-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Check the nose of the sear also--it may be worn or broken.

rjbuilder
11-20-2019, 06:40 PM
rintinglen;
You were right. Someone filed down the nose of the sear. I think it must have been intentional to make the gun fire double action only. Maybe an agency firearm that mandated double action only. Hammer notches appear to be fine. I just received a replacement sear and spring and will install them tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Richard