PDA

View Full Version : Homeadvisor.com is a fraud!

Idaho45guy
10-30-2019, 08:40 PM
I have a partial clog in my main drain at my house. Been doing it for a week or so. Called around and got estimates from $275 to $300. No one seemed to want my business.

I've been hearing those radio commercials for homeadvisor.com where you list the job you need done, they get bids, and you set it up online. They quoted me at $258. So I booked it a couple of days in advance on my day off and pre-paid with a credit card.

I've been waiting all day and no one showed up. The phone number for the "contractor" is a New Jersey number and goes straight to VM after being re-routed.

I called Home Advisor and after being on hold and routed to a barely English-speaking person, was told that the contractor stopped at my address and I wasn't home. I said that was a total lie and I've been by the front window watching the street for 10 hours.

They hung up on me.

So I just filed a dispute with my credit card company and now have to wait another week to get a clog cleared that is getting worse.

I absolutely hate liars and scam artists!

Do not use Home Advisor!

Winger Ed.
10-30-2019, 09:20 PM
I've gotten so frustrated at things like that, I've bought the tools and machines for less than having it done, and solved the problem myself.

If the clog isn't a real bad one, it might be worth getting a long 'sewer tape' from the big box store
and running it through your clean outs on a wall or out in the yard,
and maybe pulling a commode off the floor, or sink drain off past the 'P' trap, and running those lines too.

JBinMN
10-30-2019, 09:40 PM
I've gotten so frustrated at things like that, I've bought the tools and machines for less than having it done, and solved the problem myself.

If the clog isn't a real bad one, it might be worth getting a long 'sewer tape' from the big box store
and running it through your clean outs on a wall or out in the yard,
and maybe pulling a commode off the floor, or sink drain off past the 'P' trap, and running those lines too.

Ditto & particularly the bolded. Or, rented what I needed & spent less than having someone else do the work.

Thanks for sharing the info though. It should be worth someone knowing who might think to call them like you did & save them from the bad results from doing so.

Wayne Smith
10-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Why would you call a NJ number for local help?? HomeAdvisor.com that I contacted a couple of months ago for a small job sent me four local agencies to contact. They were all local numbers, and one was a perfect fit for my job.

My only problem is that they won't stop sending me e-mails ever since!

Idaho45guy
10-30-2019, 10:34 PM
Why would you call a NJ number for local help??

I think you may be confused. You book through home advisor and they assign a contractor. The contractor they assigned had a New Jersey phone number, which I called when he didn't show up.

gwpercle
10-31-2019, 08:49 AM
Call Roto-Rooter , that's their specialty .

I learned a long time ago...with sub contractors you don't want the cheapest one...remember that saying ...you get what you pay for ?
Gary

Shopdog
10-31-2019, 08:55 AM
Just an FYI, Roto Rooter's two main tools,and the ones that come off their trucks first are;

A Maglight and a plain garden hose. Fixes an awful lot of problems. Good luck with your clog.

MrWolf
10-31-2019, 10:04 AM
I think you may be confused. You book through home advisor and they assign a contractor. The contractor they assigned had a New Jersey phone number, which I called when he didn't show up.

I still have my NJ area code cell phone only because the number couldn't be transferred. Maybe something similiar but not calling back is strike three.

redhawk0
10-31-2019, 10:24 AM
I agree with shopdog...if you have access to your drain's cleanout....get the garden hose and run it down the drain through that cleanout....if you don't have a faucet connection in your basement for the hose, you can use the drain of your hot water heater to connect to.

redhawk

MaryB
10-31-2019, 06:00 PM
They use a water jet device on the end of the hose. It swells up and seals the line then lets a high pressure stream of water go by blowing out the clog. Simple to use, attach to hose, shove down the cleanout until it stops at the clog. Turn water on and it will seal the pipe(mostly, you will get some back flow) then send a high pressure jet of water into the clog.

https://www.amazon.com/G-T-Water-Products-186-Attachment/dp/B0000CBIWC/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=drain+blaster&qid=1572559107&sr=8-12

Winger Ed.
10-31-2019, 06:05 PM
They use a water jet device on the end of the hose.]

Any hard ware store or big box store has them. Ask for a 'blow bag' to go on the garden hose.

Bookworm
11-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Pre paying for a repair ? Not something I would ever do.

Ed K
11-02-2019, 08:07 AM
After your call they in turn broadcast your request to all of the qualified contractors in your area. They all pay the referral fee even if you've since decided to do the job yourself and nobody gets the work. Seems to me they should only collect a commission from the one actually getting the job