PDA

View Full Version : Popped back in after a long absence

chaos
10-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Haven't been around since the days of Carpetman. Place has changed.

Got a .350 Legend and it has me interested in getting back to casting.....with its retarded undersized .356 slug.

Many questions as things have drastically changed since I was here. I have about a bazillion .44 cal slugs cast up from the last time I casted. Will likely not run out. I had set myself up with a large quantity of Jalvelina alox lube, which I see is no longer available. Folks painting bullets now for lube? Where do I start over at?

Any good mould recommendations for the .355 legend?
Prefer something gas checked as its coming out of an AR pattern rifle.

lightman
10-31-2019, 08:41 AM
Welcome Back! Don't let all of the new stuff intimidate you. Everything that you used to do will still work just as well as it once did. Study the powder coating threads and give it some thought. A lot of us have started using a cheap hot plate to prewarm our molds. It does the same thing that setting your mold on the edge of your casting pot did back in the day that casting pots had cast iron liners. Many of us use a PID and they are nice are nice but you can still cast good bullets without one. Study and research the newer methods and make up your own mind about them.

chaos
10-31-2019, 09:34 AM
Welcome Back! Don't let all of the new stuff intimidate you. Everything that you used to do will still work just as well as it once did. Study the powder coating threads and give it some thought. A lot of us have started using a cheap hot plate to prewarm our molds. It does the same thing that setting your mold on the edge of your casting pot did back in the day that casting pots had cast iron liners. Many of us use a PID and they are nice are nice but you can still cast good bullets without one. Study and research the newer methods and make up your own mind about them.

Yes Sir, there appears to be a ton of new info out there.
Haven't really had time to read too much, but will rememdy that in the deer stand, hunting with my step daughter.

A PID......I feel like a dumb ****. I work in Industrial controls. Duh, makes sense. That and a weight on my Lee Leak-O- Matic are two things that have grabbed my attention with the skim reading. Those 2 things will be done before I even start to cast again.

Jesus.......
Looks like a lot of the more knowledgeable old timers have been BANNED or Passed on.

What happened to 44Man?
Junior used to Bust my Balls, but he was a good guy.

Markopolo
10-31-2019, 10:02 AM
we heard from Junior Bullshop not too long ago.. he was working up here in Alaska on some road project.... some of the old timers are still around... some have different accounts now.. some are in the RIP section...

dont worry about the pretty painted boolits... you got time... if you decide you like that sort of thing, there is a whole section devoted to just that now.

cant help on the 350 though...

chaos
10-31-2019, 04:17 PM
we heard from Junior Bullshop not too long ago.. he was working up here in Alaska on some road project.... some of the old timers are still around... some have different accounts now.. some are in the RIP section...

dont worry about the pretty painted boolits... you got time... if you decide you like that sort of thing, there is a whole section devoted to just that now.

cant help on the 350 though...

I read most of that 350 thread. Greek tradgedy the fellow trying to make brass for it. Its cheaply available now.
Maybe he will post up mould opinions. I dont want to step on his thread.