PDA

View Full Version : It's official; Lee will be releasing an "upside down" bullet sizing press.

Pages : [1] 2

NoZombies
10-30-2019, 11:46 AM
I just got done talking with Kathy at Lee Precision, and she confirmed and clarified a few things for me, and I figured you guys would appreciate the information.

What I can tell you: The press will be available as a plain model and a deluxe model. The deluxe model will have a built in bullet feeding assembly. I believe the plain model will have an easy upgrade path to the 'deluxe' features. The press will use a new low cost sizing die bushing set-up. It will be launched officially at the end of December.

What I don't know: The MSRP (I suspect $100-$150 but that's pure speculation on my part), whether they'll offer a collator of any kind (I would guess no) or actual ship dates, but I assume they will have some stock on hand at launch.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-30-2019, 12:40 PM
NEAT.
Can't wait to see one

JBinMN
10-30-2019, 02:46 PM
Thanks for sharing the news, but it is a bit too late for me as I have already modified one of their C presses to be able to flip it right side up to upside down like using a receiver hitch on the back of a vehicle.

It will be nice though for those who do not have such a press for sizing.

I like how I can turn mine back & forth do either do regular reloading on it, or flip it to size easier/faster, and it would be nice & a good idea if they make theirs the same & be able to have the "dual purpose", but I reckon we will all have to wait to see what they came up with.

Thanks again for the news!
:)

NoZombies
10-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Well, it looks like within an hour of my call, they've announced the press on the site!

Looks like it will also work as a reloading press, and brass processing press. No bench overhang for the handle, and cheaper than I guessed.

https://leeprecision.com/app-automatic-processing-press/

joe leadslinger
10-30-2019, 03:09 PM
I think it will fit on my bench nicely. :D

NoZombies
10-30-2019, 03:13 PM
The press in question:

guywitha3006
10-30-2019, 03:22 PM
I wonder how well the bullet/case feeder work...if they work well enough, I may have to look into getting one and adding either pneumatic or electric power to it. Automatic deprimer/swager and bullet sizer has a nice ring to it.

DukeInFlorida
10-30-2019, 03:56 PM
While it looks like it will size bullets, it has no facility to LUBE same bullets. Powder coaters will like it, but the Lyman 450 series or Magma Star are still the option for lubricizing cast boolits.

I'll be interested in seeing how they feed bullets. Might be a way to automate something like Dillon 550.

Dimner
10-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Wow. I am really liking this whole APP setup with the swager and the sizer. I sold my single stage and bought a turret a couple years ago. Been wanting another single stage for brass prep. This would fit the bill.

The only thing I am confused on is... how does this thing attach to a bench?

NoZombies
10-30-2019, 05:19 PM
Wow. I am really liking this whole APP setup with the swager and the sizer. I sold my single stage and bought a turret a couple years ago. Been wanting another single stage for brass prep. This would fit the bill.

The only thing I am confused on is... how does this thing attach to a bench?

In the photo there's a protrusion to the right with 3 holes for bench mounting.

Dimner
10-30-2019, 05:22 PM
In the photo there's a protrusion to the right with 3 holes for bench mounting.

So most of the press is over the side of the table?

jessdigs
10-30-2019, 05:25 PM
I'm hoping they offer more sizes of bushings. I. Don't mind honing lee sizing dies in the lathe, but it would be nice to have say .308,.309,.310,.311,.312
.355,.356,.357,.358 etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NoZombies
10-30-2019, 05:28 PM
So most of the press is over the side of the table?

I haven't seen the press in person, but I believe that the image doesn't represent the base angles accurately. The other photo I saw seemed to indicate that most of the press is on the bench with just the die portion protruding over the edge... but I could be dead wrong. Most of my reloading presses hang over the edge of the bench anyways, so I'm not sure it'll be much problem even if I am wrong.

RogerDat
10-30-2019, 05:54 PM
That big old bottle has to go someplace so my guess would be it goes over the side but thought I saw it doesn't hang over the bench.

Lee sizing dies work well if you tumble lube the bullets in alox or one of the variations instead of PC or stick lubes such as one uses with the lube-o-matic.

I think it is a neat idea but... you first. I think there are things I would rather purchase first and I'm good letting someone else help them find the bugs. It did seem that one could spend some coin getting the related items needed to get the most out of that press.

jonp
10-30-2019, 05:57 PM
I watched a video comparing presses online and saw a couple that worked like that but they were kinda expensive. Wonder if it's better

flyingmonkey35
10-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Well gusse what's on my Christmas list.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

richhodg66
10-30-2019, 07:08 PM
That's interesting, just not sure it would be an improvement enough over the stuff I already have to justify buying one.

gundownunder
10-30-2019, 07:16 PM
Sounds promising.
Now, who's going to guinea pig for us and tell us how well it lives up to the talk.
I'm willing to bet that by the time it gets to the southern hemisphere there won't be much change out of $200, so I won't be the first to buy one.

Littlewolf
10-30-2019, 08:04 PM
i've been using the push through (out the top) sizer dies for years but those canisters only hold so many. so now i have a second choice beside the mikeOZ reciprocating o-frame mod.

Mytmousemalibu
10-30-2019, 09:23 PM
What has me extremely interested is it being used as a depriming "machine".

I really prefer to have my brass deprimed for wet tumbling for a number of reasons. Mostly, it keeps all that nasty primer ash, dirt, and grit out of my Dillon. I take good care of that machine and keeping it clean is part of it. Of equal importance is brass can then be 100% tumbled clean, inside & out. Almost all of my reloading is for competition ammo. I would prefer to eliminate as many variables and potential reliability issues as I can. You can't argue that a 100% clean as new primer pocket is as trouble free as it gets. Zero chance old residue can effect function. Also, complete drying is insured. I have seen trapped water in wet tumbled brass cause problems.

Currently I use a heavily modified Lee Pro 1000 as a depriming "machine". It has its foibles and headaches. It does 9mm relatively well but .38 Super Comp,.38/.357 is an effort in frustration. Perhaps this new Lee machine will be the solution to everything!

dverna
10-30-2019, 10:11 PM
I used to use feed tubes for the Star and it is an onerous task. So not a bug fan of feeders that use that method. Not too difficult to make a case collator...bullet collator is likely more challenging.

It looks like a good option for many and cost is very reasonable.

Looking forward to seeing reviews.

The Dar
10-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Only down side I can see is it comes with Lee Breech Lock bushings. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist as I see it.

megasupermagnum
10-30-2019, 10:43 PM
It looks like I'll have to do some more testing with Lee Alox lube. I haven't been nearly as thrilled with my Star sizer as some have been, even after I finally got it working right.

Daver7
10-30-2019, 11:08 PM
Thanks for sharing the news, but it is a bit too late for me as I have already modified one of their C presses to be able to flip it right side up to upside down like using a receiver hitch on the back of a vehicle.
Can I talk ya into showing us a picture of your set up. I'm kind of dense

mike69
10-30-2019, 11:14 PM
Looks very interesting just might have to add one to my bench . Should be able to use my NOE push through sizer dies in it .

JBinMN
10-31-2019, 07:03 AM
Can I talk ya into showing us a picture of your set up. I'm kind of dense

I think I posted some up before a while back in another topic discussing upside down presses, and I hope that this topic doesn't go off the rails about other types of upsidedown presses. If some folks wants to discuss other types instead of the New Lee one, please go search for the other topics discussing these presses & leave this topic for the New Lee AAP press.

Anyway, I did some searching & did not find the topic where I posted up pics before, so here you are:

Upside down

Right way up

Close up of the "receiver hitch set-up"

I don't want to sidetrack this topic, so if anyone wants more info about the receiver type "hitch" I have, please just PM. Thanks.

Dimner
10-31-2019, 11:57 AM
Only down side I can see is it comes with Lee Breech Lock bushings. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist as I see it.

Have you used the bushings? I far prefer them to the standard lock rings with Lee dies. It is much easier to keep your dies locked in with the bushings. This is especially helpful when I use the FL sizing die to bump my shoulders back 0.002" for max brass life, but also max accuracy. Re-dialing in the shoulder bump is a pain. So I would argue that for high accuracy loads these are very helpful.

RogerDat
10-31-2019, 12:22 PM
I use a Lee universal deprime die in a turret press with the index rod out so it works as a single stage. Like the hollow ram primer collection tube a lot. This new press has a bottle. Doesn't seem like enough improvement to justify cost.

For larger quantity batches it may be that the new presses special case holder that allows automated case removal and placing the next one in the holder may provide enough speed to prove to be of high value. Same for sizing. When the red plastic case gets full of sized bullets I take it off and dump them. Takes a moment. Why would dropping them in a bottle be better than pushing them up?

I'm more likely to purchase a plain single stage press for the duties this does on the basis of it works with all the tooling I already have. For myself 250 to 300 cartridges at a time is high production. Some folks that is just going to cover Thursday at the range.

The Dar
10-31-2019, 09:44 PM
Have you used the bushings? I far prefer them to the standard lock rings with Lee dies. It is much easier to keep your dies locked in with the bushings. This is especially helpful when I use the FL sizing die to bump my shoulders back 0.002" for max brass life, but also max accuracy. Re-dialing in the shoulder bump is a pain. So I would argue that for high accuracy loads these are very helpful.

I have a single stage Lee with the bushing. I use it for sizing cast bullets. I have no problem threading a different sizing die into the press. I'm used to it, I've been doing it with a Rock Chucker for 25 years. Others may find the bushings useful, I don't have a need for them.

Catshooter
11-01-2019, 12:12 AM
Wow. I think John Lee is giving his old man a run for his money! Richard Lee was a very talented engineer and when he died I figured the company would lay around in the doldrums as so often happens. Obviously not! What an ingenious tool. I can see some serious usages for that puppy.

Well done to John Lee!

Cat

lign
11-01-2019, 02:32 AM
Couldn't agree more with Cat. I thought the same thing when I read the announcement mentioning John Lee's patent for the new press. I think they are going to sell the daylights out of this when people realize they can use it for swaging. Seems crazy that you can get the whole setup with a press for the same money as other swaging-only solutions. Looks like the case feed tube will make it a lot faster than any other swaging solution (other than on-press swaging like Dillon 1050 or the 650/750 add-ons).

Love Life
11-01-2019, 08:06 AM
It looks like I'll have to do some more testing with Lee Alox lube. I haven't been nearly as thrilled with my Star sizer as some have been, even after I finally got it working right.

I concur on the star. I've owned 3 of them over the years, and have never found them to be the holy grail. Are they fast? Yes they are, but they can be annoying. I actually prefer the lee push through process. I prefer pushing down on the lever with a standard reloading press. Less wear and tear on the shoulder.

This new lee press has gotten my interest for case processing, specifically depriming with the case feeder. Lee needs to offer a X-Shellholder pack like they do with the regular shell holders and auto prime shell holders.

OS OK
11-01-2019, 08:22 AM
From looking at their information & specifications, it seems that Lee has put some time and thought into this as if they realized that they will get only one shot at getting it right. If they haven't thought it all the way through then another manufacturer can and prolly will jump in behind them and produce a press that is all of what they have but without the problems this new press may have.
I hope that this is not a typical Lee product from the past that'll require us handloaders to fine tune it to run like it should have right out of the box.

What I see as the weak link in this system...as far as speed of 'sizing' is concerned, is that the tubes have to be loaded to feed this press and that part of sizing is part of the overall time it'll take to complete the job when the cast come out of the oven.
So, it doesn't matter how fast you can crank the handle if that tube constantly is going empty.

https://i.imgur.com/zOEGfWE.jpg

Another question I have about the auto feed part is will it handle short, fat or skinny little pistol fodder and long rifle casts long/fat or skinny or is there more parts and pieces that have to be changed out to accommodate the various size/diameter/length casts.
must be several size tubes required to do this too???

Bookworm
11-01-2019, 08:31 AM
During sizing of alot of brass, it seems to me that the act of inserting the brass in the shell holder and taking it back out actually takes more time than the sizing itself. Using a case kicker speeds up the process significantly.

It looks to me that the real breakthrough in this press setup is the "pass through" shell holder. I think that loading case tubes would take less time than inserting single cases.

I may be wrong, as I've never used a case feeder.

JBinMN
11-01-2019, 08:58 AM
I would like to see a video of it in operation before I would buy it, and I bet there are others who feel that way. Like I said before, I do not need it, but I would still like to see how it works.

OS OK
11-01-2019, 09:19 AM
I would like to see a video of it in operation before I would buy it, and I bet there are others who feel that way. Like I said before, I do not need it, but I would still like to see how it works.

I can't wait to see it run too...I'm wondering if I might get a good 'sizing race' out of one of the fellas that get one?

MONOTONOUS DUTY _ WANNA RACE?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvhKHVn7gU

Elkins45
11-01-2019, 09:45 AM
The pass-thru shell holder looks like it won’t get a very good grip on the rim since it only has one small contact point on each side. I hope the primer pocket swager is designed so it doesn’t stress the rims too much. It it works well I can definitely see using one of these just to size and swage.

Dimner
11-01-2019, 10:28 AM
I have a single stage Lee with the bushing. I use it for sizing cast bullets. I have no problem threading a different sizing die into the press. I'm used to it, I've been doing it with a Rock Chucker for 25 years. Others may find the bushings useful, I don't have a need for them.

ah yeah for sure, no need for bushings with that application.

Dimner
11-01-2019, 10:47 AM
i was able to get to the bigger pictures for all of us. so here they are!

https://leeprecision.com/files/categories/APP-PRESS-BULLET-SIZING.jpg

This one looks like it's a CAD image, not real production:

https://leeprecision.com/files/categories/APP-PRESS-DECAPPING.jpg

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/90951.jpg

https://leeprecision.com/files/categories/APPbulletsizingcloseup.jpg

Dimner
11-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Bigger pics of the accessories:

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/90511.jpg

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/91151.jpg

https://leeprecision.com/files/categories/XPRESS.jpg

primer pocket swager:

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/91562.jpg

RogerDat
11-01-2019, 10:55 AM
I have a single stage Lee with the bushing. I use it for sizing cast bullets. I have no problem threading a different sizing die into the press. I'm used to it, I've been doing it with a Rock Chucker for 25 years. Others may find the bushings useful, I don't have a need for them. The regular Lee Classic O press the threaded portion for the die is a bushing. Threaded on the outside to screw into press, inside to match dies. The Hornady locking die collars that are the Breech Lock equivalent use a bushing with the same outside threads as the Lee press has.

In short one can unscrew the steel die bushing from a regular Lee O press and screw in the Hornady bushing sleeve. The reason I mention this is I wonder if the Breech Lock challenger sleeve is screwed into the same threads as the classic O press. Manufacturing process would be simpler which makes me think that maybe the difference between a Lee Breech Lock and Lee Classic Cast O press is which bushing gets screwed in. One threaded for dies or one with twist lock for the Breech Lock version.

If the two die seating bushings are able to be swapped that would potentially allow one to use the regular threaded bushing in this new press. Avoiding the cost of twist lock collars for dies. I use a turret press and store my dies installed in a turret disk so my dies remain set up. Have done some research on adding the Lee Classic cast and possibly using the Hornady quick release system. I like the solid nature of fully threaded dies. The convenience of twist lock could be useful. So having both as an option appeals to me.
Whomever gets one it would be interesting to find out if the breach lock sleeve unscrews and a regular Lee press die bushing fits in it's place.

Dimner
11-01-2019, 11:29 AM
... I use a turret press and store my dies installed in a turret disk so my dies remain set up.

I do the exact same thing. Infact it's the only reason I switched to the turret press. I use it as a single stage, no indexer, and rotate as needed. Even more, I store my Push through sizer, decapper, and mouth flaring die in a turret, and another turret has a 2nd mouth flare for a different caliber and RCBS pullet puller.

As a re-loader who is constantly doing ladder testing or some sort of other testing, having all these dies setup all the time is a huge time saver.

megasupermagnum
11-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Oh boy, and they are coming out with a primer pocket swagging tool? If it will do 308 winchester, my RCBS primer pocket swaging dies, along with all my Lee bullet sizing dies are going up for sale. Now I just need to figure out a bullet feeder to supply the drop tube. I'm excited for this new press.

kevin c
11-01-2019, 01:57 PM
So it seems that there is a shuttle system from the tube to the dies, or you can feed by hand.

As far as loading those tubes being a rate limiting step, I can say that I have a CasePro with a similar tube, designed to fit a Dillon case feeder. I just feed the cases a couple to three at a time into the top of the mechanism, foregoing the tube all together, and I can size cases just about as fast as I can pull the handle. I think I might be able to do the same with Lee's setup, either directly (one boolit at a time) or with the shuttle mechanism (maybe a couple or more at a time placed into a cut off tube).

I don't know if this would be faster than the upside down Lee setup I use for sizing now, but I think it'd be at least easier sizing on the downstroke rather than the upstroke as I do now. Since I size thousands of casts regularly to feed my action pistol habit, and as the guy staring back at me in the mirror doesn't look like he's found the fountain of youth, I'm all for anything easier.

ETA: And if I get this, the sized boolits are going to drop into a container on a stool just underneath the press, like they do now - I'm not going to mess with detaching the bottle just to dump into another larger container and then reattaching the bottle. Lee's catch containers are fine for small runs, but not for high volume.

Moonie
11-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Oh boy, and they are coming out with a primer pocket swagging tool? If it will do 308 winchester, my RCBS primer pocket swaging dies, along with all my Lee bullet sizing dies are going up for sale. Now I just need to figure out a bullet feeder to supply the drop tube. I'm excited for this new press.

https://leeprecision.com/primer-pocket-swager/

Moonie
11-01-2019, 03:57 PM
I'm in for one that's for sure.

tankgunner59
11-01-2019, 10:05 PM
I'm saving up for it starting now. That sounds like a great press kit, I'm after the Deluxe.

lign
11-01-2019, 11:16 PM
If the casefeed tubes are the same as the ones on their Loadmaster press, I can say from experimenting that it will be much faster than feeding them one at a time by hand. It is surprisingly quick to fill up those tubes. I just wish it could handle 4 tubes at a time like the Loadmaster, so you can use the ten dollar collator and then just manually rotate to the next full tube. Those tubes do handle quite a few different sizes and calibers with a single tube size...

popper
11-01-2019, 11:54 PM
Dual sided arbor press, IMHO Needs
a 3rd leg.

Petander
11-02-2019, 06:16 AM
I just wish it could handle 4 tubes at a time like the Loadmaster, so you can use the ten dollar collator and then just manually rotate to the next full tube.

I was thinking the same.

I use Hornady LNL AP but I size and prime separately first. Mostly because of the primer tube thing, it will get empty in no time,causing you to spill powder from a primer hole,unnoticed. Soon you will notice because everything gets horribly wrong.

It takes forever to inspect and clean the mess and remove, re-fill and re-install the stupid single primer tube. So I prime first,this new Lee might fit the bill.

odfairfaxsub
11-02-2019, 07:38 AM

3006guns
11-10-2019, 09:52 PM
I too, would like to see a short video of this wonder in action. For one thing I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding how it works, since I was researching "upside down" presses at the time! If someone takes the plunge, PLEASE whip out a quick video showing the various functions........THEN I can get excited and buy "just one more" press.........:)

phantom22
11-11-2019, 03:49 AM
Looks very interesting indeed. Might be worth it just to speed up the bullet sizing.

dverna
11-11-2019, 04:34 AM
Feeding tubes is something I am not fond of. Did it with the Hulme feeder on the Star and the Star sizer feeder. A case feeder is not to difficult to make but bullet feeders are more complex. I wound up selling the bullet feeder for the Star and hand feeding bullets.

Little plastic bits shown in the pictures give me concern, but should be cheap enough to have spares for when they break.

I hope a few of the experienced people here do a review.

6bg6ga
11-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Bigger pics of the accessories:

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/90511.jpg

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/91151.jpg

https://leeprecision.com/files/categories/XPRESS.jpg

primer pocket swager:

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/91562.jpg

Looks like a lot of plastic that will sooner or later break.

Sorry but I understand why some of you will settle for a cheap machine when Magma manufactures one that will last your lifetime and several others. If its the price point ask yourself how much the plastic pieces are going to cost once its out of warranty. It does have a warranty, right?

Sure the Magma/Star costs more but have you ever seen one that was broken due to normal usage? I have a Star and a Magma with bullet feeders and bullet turret tubes and they will probably size with higher accuracy than the Lee. Yup they cost more but show me another product you can use for 20 or 30 years and probably get your original purchase price back.

megasupermagnum
11-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Yes my Star sizer broke (a steel part no less), and Magma is no help at all. Thankfully I bought it used, I would never buy new from them.

Lee on the other hand often sends out parts for free just from asking. If not, they have a lifetime warranty, you just have to pay shipping one way.

I'm not sure why people are so scared of plastic parts. I'm ham handed, and I rarely break things on my Lee products. My Lee Pro1000 has been working trouble free for a couple years now, zero broken parts. The case feeder looks a lot like the bullet feeder on this press.

I could buy hundreds of replacement parts and never come close to the cost of a Magma.

Honestly I'm equally excited about the Lee primer pocket swaging die. My RCBS set works ok, but I've always been less than thrilled with it. The separate cup can be a pain. If I could sit down in front of the TV and swage with either this new press, or the Lee hand press, that's a huge win in itself.

megasupermagnum
11-11-2019, 01:15 PM
To add, here is the full description. https://leeprecision.com/app-automatic-processing-press/

You've got the basic press MSRP $75, and the deluxe which presumably comes with the case/bullet feeder MSRP $110. At that price point you can't go wrong. If the plastic bits scare you, just feed bullets and cases by hand. The rest of the press is metal.

drac0nic
11-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Don't know that I would be too concerned about the plastic bits. I mean if they're flawed someone will 3D print some more that have improvements. I emailed FS Reloading about what their price will be and if they're going to do preorders. I'm looking to get the 5.56 Swage die as well as the deluxe press. I can probably get 100 bucks of value not having to swage cases. I wish they would have made a 2 stage press though tbh so you could decap and swage at once.

45workhorse
11-11-2019, 02:45 PM
:coffeecom

Kenstone
11-11-2019, 03:56 PM
I'm hoping they offer more sizes of bushings. I. Don't mind honing lee sizing dies in the lathe, but it would be nice to have say .308,.309,.310,.311,.312
.355,.356,.357,.358 etc

I use split laps, barrel laps and my drill press to "open up" sizing dies.
The old style one piece sizing dies come in 0.356/0.357/0.0358 but not 0.355/0.359/0.360 :groner:
Difficult to make a die smaller though [smilie=b:
:smile:

Kenstone
11-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Looks like a lot of plastic that will sooner or later break.

Sorry but I understand why some of you will settle for a cheap machine when Magma manufactures one that will last your lifetime and several others. If its the price point ask yourself how much the plastic pieces are going to cost once its out of warranty. It does have a warranty, right?

Sure the Magma/Star costs more but have you ever seen one that was broken due to normal usage? I have a Star and a Magma with bullet feeders and bullet turret tubes and they will probably size with higher accuracy than the Lee. Yup they cost more but show me another product you can use for 20 or 30 years and probably get your original purchase price back.

Thanks for posting BIG pics
That part with the pinch jaws looks a lot like the older bullet feeding die fingers, the bullet feeder that has proven problematic for many (me).
I had to MacGyver a spring onto the jaws for more grip:
Let's hope this newer design works better,
:mrgreen:

kevin c
11-12-2019, 01:04 AM
I just want a press to size on the downstroke and lets me feed downwards into the die. This looks to do it, and at no great cost.

drac0nic
11-12-2019, 01:19 AM
Emailed FS Reloading asking about this stuff. Here's what their reply was:

The Lee APP Press, Deluxe APP Press Kit and Primer Pocket Swager #4 are now online and available for preorder.

Prices are:
APP Press $69.99
Deluxe APP Press Kit $99.99
Primer Pocket Swager $27.99

To pre-order:

Go to our web site
Put your desired products in the cart
Check out as normal

Please be aware Lee Precision can't give us a firm estimated ship date on any of these new products. Lee expects to be shipping them towards the end of December or perhaps some time in January 2020 but won't guarantee a ship date. The estimated arrival date will be updated on our web site as we get more information from Lee Precision.

kevin c
11-12-2019, 01:36 AM
Even better price.

Phlier
11-12-2019, 11:49 AM
This press looks like it might benefit from an OpenBulletFeeder collator. Great way to keep the tube fed. For those of us that push-through size our boolits, this press and an OpenBulletFeeder collator might be a real game changer.

44magLeo
11-12-2019, 12:03 PM
This is an interesting product. At the cost it is comparable to getting the reloader press and building something to turn it over. This you just mount and use.
RogerDat, On my Challenger press the breech lock is just threaded in the top of press. No big bushing like the Classic cast.
I would use the bottle to catch primers. Not really big enough for bullets. I like the way my Challenger catches primers. I run the tube into a Ice cream tube. You can spill spent primers if a bit clumsy. Gotta watch my feet. Unscrewing the bottle to dump seems pretty foolproof.
The X-press shell holder will work fine for just decapping, I wouldn't try it for any sort of sizing. Well maybe the Collect neck sizing die.
I'm with a lot of you and will wait to hear a few reviews before I invest.
Leo

megasupermagnum
11-13-2019, 12:01 AM
Hopefully they do some kind of fixed rate sale for black Friday. I'll be pre-ordering both the deluxe press and #2 swaging die.

no34570
11-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Will be awhile before they hit Australian shores,so would be interested in how they perform with you guys.
But definitely will be keeping an eye out for them,who knows,one might come home with me :smile:

GreenRiverBoy
11-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Been thinking of putting an inexpensive press in my garage; this may be the one. Looking forward to the youtube reviews by others.

onelight
11-19-2019, 05:09 PM
I use a Lee universal deprime die in a turret press with the index rod out so it works as a single stage. Like the hollow ram primer collection tube a lot. This new press has a bottle. Doesn't seem like enough improvement to justify cost.

For larger quantity batches it may be that the new presses special case holder that allows automated case removal and placing the next one in the holder may provide enough speed to prove to be of high value. Same for sizing. When the red plastic case gets full of sized bullets I take it off and dump them. Takes a moment. Why would dropping them in a bottle be better than pushing them up?

I'm more likely to purchase a plain single stage press for the duties this does on the basis of it works with all the tooling I already have. For myself 250 to 300 cartridges at a time is high production. Some folks that is just going to cover Thursday at the range.
I deprime the same way for the same reasons but if the 4tube case feeder and collator will adapt to this new press and the pass through shell holder works I'd buy it just to process brass , the bullet sizing and primer crimp removing would be a bonus for me.

Ausglock
11-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Will be awhile before they hit Australian shores,so would be interested in how they perform with you guys.
But definitely will be keeping an eye out for them,who knows,one might come home with me :smile:

Titan Reloading have them listed on their website.
I will have one coming to OZ As soon as they are released.

JBinMN
11-19-2019, 10:09 PM
These prices do not look to be very expensive, but I suppose that shipping to AUS or the like might raise the costs considerably...

Coming soon, shipping late December 2019. Taking pre-orders starting Monday, December 2nd.
Deluxe APP Press product 90933 110.00 MSRP
APP Press product 90951 $75.00 MSRP
Automation kit product 90511 $50.00 MSRP

Source: https://leeprecision.com/app-automatic-processing-press/

Racefiets
11-20-2019, 04:18 AM
Couldn't resist myself and pre ordered one with FS reloading. Shipping to the Netherlands with surfacemail was less than $10,-. The only thing with surface mail is the time. Usualy 4-5 weeks until it arrives.

cupajoe
11-20-2019, 04:54 AM
I'm in the "wait and see" mode. I would only be interested in using it to deprime brass and size bullets if I can use my existing Lee bullet sizer dies. The price is right enough. We will see.

Ring3
11-21-2019, 10:23 AM
I’ll likely get one when available. Looks and sounds like a great machine. Will be nice to see some videos and read some reviews.

jessdigs
11-30-2019, 12:03 AM
Posted in the other thread. I just pre-ordered. The deluxe is on sale for $78 down from $110. The non deluxe is $55 down from $75.
Black Friday saleshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191130/9c4a6acd33f5517f0709014befbcd2a0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191130/e258a6f9d534bf172c3ac2f65608f5db.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

kevin c
11-30-2019, 05:02 AM
I'm in at Titan's prices.

I have all the Lee sizers that screw into the presses with the standard threads. I don't have to buy the breech lock versions, right?

Petander
11-30-2019, 06:23 AM
Friday,bloody friday... are these "Black friday" prices,sort of?

Mihec got me already,oh man how I love to save money by casting my own bullets.

jessdigs
11-30-2019, 03:20 PM

jessdigs
11-30-2019, 03:30 PM
I use split laps, barrel laps and my drill press to "open up" sizing dies.
The old style one piece sizing dies come in 0.356/0.357/0.0358 but not 0.355/0.359/0.360 :groner:
Difficult to make a die smaller though [smilie=b:
[emoji2]I do the same thing with old lathe. Chuck them up, bore them if necessary, or just dowel and sandpaper them, then polish. If I had a better lathe I would just make my own. Mine is a late '20s cataract lathe, not the best threading and die making. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191130/5f26574f55478f460f7672173dbe499d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191130/ccc6fcf9d2f7ac7a63bac2e9c7da319e.jpg

sagebrush rebel
12-01-2019, 01:44 PM
I got to their web site yesterday and it was not listed for $78.49. Maybe they will relist it for cyber Monday.

JBinMN
12-01-2019, 02:44 PM
I got to their web site yesterday and it was not listed for $78.49. Maybe they will relist it for cyber Monday.

Look here at one of the CB.GL Forum Site Sponsors - Titan Reloading:
https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-presses/app-automatic-processing-press

And you will see some reasonable prices. Scroll down to the bottom of that webpage & you will see where you can order what you prefer...
;)

sagebrush rebel
12-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Thanks, I guess I didn't scroll down enough.

HATCH
12-01-2019, 03:23 PM
I will order one this week.

Phlier
12-01-2019, 04:50 PM
Look here at one of the CB.GL Forum Site Sponsors - Titan Reloading:
https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-presses/app-automatic-processing-press

And you will see some reasonable prices. Scroll down to the bottom of that webpage & you will see where you can order what you prefer...
;)

Thanks for that... kinda. ;)

I just can't decide if I want that new Lee press, which will be used primarily for sizing mass quantities of 9mm PC'd blammo boolits, or a new mold for Christmas. Wife says I have to pick one or the other.

Seriously though, JBinMN, I had missed the promotional pricing on that page just 'cause I was too impatient to scroll to the bottom as you suggested.

I just love the thought of loading up the tubes, then wildly pulling that handle as fast as I can to size large quantities of 9mm. Would be really nice to hook up an OpenBulletFeeder collator to it, but alas... I lack a 3D printer to do so. But man, can you imagine? Throwing a thousand boolits in the collator, and sizing them as fast as I can pull the handle.

I load between a thousand and five(!) thousand 9mm per weeks, so such an arrangement has a lot of appeal.

AR-Bossman
12-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Thanks for posting BIG pics
That part with the pinch jaws looks a lot like the older bullet feeding die fingers, the bullet feeder that has proven problematic for many (me).
I had to MacGyver a spring onto the jaws for more grip:
Let's hope this newer design works better,

Here was my design that had pretty good success. Hopefully the Lee allows me to replace it.

jessdigs
12-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Here was my design that had pretty good success. Hopefully the Lee allows me to replace it.

252214That's pretty slick. Do you have a video of it working?

kbstenberg
12-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know anything about the bullet sizers? It looks like they are different than their normal sizers. Price, sizes available

JBinMN
12-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Thanks for that... kinda. ;)

I just can't decide if I want that new Lee press, which will be used primarily for sizing mass quantities of 9mm PC'd blammo boolits, or a new mold for Christmas. Wife says I have to pick one or the other.

Seriously though, JBinMN, I had missed the promotional pricing on that page just 'cause I was too impatient to scroll to the bottom as you suggested.

I just love the thought of loading up the tubes, then wildly pulling that handle as fast as I can to size large quantities of 9mm. Would be really nice to hook up an OpenBulletFeeder collator to it, but alas... I lack a 3D printer to do so. But man, can you imagine? Throwing a thousand boolits in the collator, and sizing them as fast as I can pull the handle.

I load between a thousand and five(!) thousand 9mm per weeks, so such an arrangement has a lot of appeal.

Phlier,

Personally, I have no interest in "speed" to construct my rounds.

I am of the "camp" of "quality over quantity". ( Not saying that having a progressive is not quality, but the particular, "Making sure that every round is the same", when I am reloading is the4 "standard I use for myself...
( Some call that, "OCD".
I do not. I call it, "making sure I don't make mistakes that might cause catastrophic disassembly of my firearm(s) or harm to the shooter or those next to the shooter". The method(s ) "I" use, do not allow for mistakes. Using a SS press or even a turret. YMMV , of course. ;) )

I do not own anything faster than a turret press. ( Lyman TR Jr. , Lyman Spar-T & and a 4 hole Lee Classic Turret). SO, I do each step with paying attention to each round.

While using a Progressive press it is just fine for those who prefer Progressives to do their reloading, I just prefer the slower, "Making sure I am running at my own pace, & happy to do it that way", than trying to just push out as fast as I can to make sure I have enough for the next time I shoot, and not taking the chance I missed something, or just ran about 25-100 rounds( Or, 500 - 1000 rounds) that I need to be concerned about later.

Everyone has their own "pace" & "comfort zone" in that pace. I reckon I am just slower than others, but I am just fine "walking my own path & not worrying about if others go faster or slower than I do.". I will "get there" .. "In my OWN time" & be just as satisfied & happy as anyone else.
at least , IMO, of course.
;)

Do as ya like & buy what ya think will do what ya want to do.
;)

Best of Luck!

kevin c
12-01-2019, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know anything about the bullet sizers? It looks like they are different than their normal sizers. Price, sizes available
I think the drop in sizers that fit their quick change Breech Lock system are just one option. From my reading, I'm hoping I can use regular threaded dies; it'll just be slower to swap out if I want a different diameter sizer. I sure hope that's the case, as I am fine with the old Lee push through sizers I have.

For the other "automated" functions, I'm not quite clear on using older parts like shell holders. It seems like the shuttle system brings a new case over to their "X-press" shell holder which pushes the previously processed case through the cut out back side. I'd guess the standard holders would fit, but it'd mean manually removing the processed case before the shuttle brought the new one, and I don't know if the shuttle system allows that. Maybe in the "unautomated" manual mode without the shuttle?

Well, I'll know once my unit arrives.

AR-Bossman
12-01-2019, 10:45 PM
That's pretty slick. Do you have a video of it working?

I don't, sorry. That Lee bullet feeder can be a real pile of crap at times. I actually made a copy with my 3d printer so I could make any added calibers or adjustments to get it functioning better. But now with the new lee setup, it may all get scrapped. I don't even know if I can reuse my bullet sizers.

Kenstone
12-01-2019, 10:53 PM

Here's a cut/paste, with links to the bushings/die body(kit), of my post in a different thread:

Lee now sells sizing dies with interchangeable bushings and has a link on the sizing die page to order custom sizes.
Here's a link to that bushing type resizing die page:
https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-bullet-sizing-kit/

Edit: I don't see the die body that accepts these bushings "for sale" anywhere on the Lee site, only included in the press kit
Edit2:
OOPs, I think I found it:
https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit.html

AR-Bossman
12-01-2019, 11:11 PM
The more I look, the more I'm surprised by the complete lack of information from LEE. Hey LEE, why not tell us exactly what shell holders are included so we can order the ones that might be missing. Also how about letting us know if our older bullet sizers will work in this.

kevin c
12-01-2019, 11:28 PM
^^^

After wasting the better part of an hour looking through their site looking for the same info, I have to agree.

onelight
12-02-2019, 01:06 AM
the press will accept standard dies for reloading so i don't see why the old sizer dies would not work but they may not work with the bullet feeder just looking at the pictures of the new sizer dies it appears they have a bit of a funnel shape to let the bullet drop into the die when the feeder lets go of it
just a guess from looking at the pictures Lee has.

Lee give us a video in action , it would sure help .:veryconfu :popcorn:

jessdigs
12-02-2019, 02:06 AM
From the Lee site
"The top carrier and base are machined to accept Lee Breech Lock bushings, they will accept standard 7/8-14 dies of any manufacture. The APP also uses standard press shell holders from most manufacturers. Includes one Spline drive breech lock bushing and universal type shell holder quick-change adaptor."

So you can use your existing dies, and existing shell holders (or push thru sizing punches) with the included universal shell holders adapter, or you can buy the new style sizers and new style quick shell holders.

I'm gonna start with what is included and what j have, and start buying accessories as soon as they are available.

kevin c
12-02-2019, 05:09 AM
Reasonable approach, and what I ended up deciding to do myself by buying only the deluxe package and swaging parts in the current sale. My use will be sizing mostly one caliber, and the press, plus or minus the automation parts, should do that with the old style Lee sizers I have. Swaging primer pockets will be a new capability for me but is a secondary use and I can wait to check on the right shell holders for the cases I want to process.

I still think Lee could have ID'd the "three most popular" XPress shell holders that they are including.

ETA: well I went back to Lee's website because somebody mentioned something I didn't remember reading the first time through, and found they'd modified the text description with more info. The included X-Press shell holders will be #2 (45 ACP, .308 and 30-06), #4 (.223 Rem, 5.56 NATO, 300 BO), and #19 (9mm Luger and .40 S&W). That's exactly what I need. Thanks, Lee!

drac0nic
12-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Preordered the auto feeding version with a primer pocket swagger. We'll see how this turns out.

rbuck351
12-02-2019, 02:40 PM
I have been watching the talk on Lees new press and decided it has nothing to offer for me. I still use grease in my grease grooves and don't load crimped cases. My Star sizes on the down stroke nose first and adds grease and I have plenty of presses for reloading. Looks like it might work well for those that use Lee lube or have need of a crimp swager.

Phlier
12-02-2019, 03:21 PM
the press will accept standard dies for reloading so i don't see why the old sizer dies would not work but they may not work with the bullet feeder just looking at the pictures of the new sizer dies it appears they have a bit of a funnel shape to let the bullet drop into the die when the feeder lets go of it
just a guess from looking at the pictures Lee has.

Lee give us a video in action , it would sure help .:veryconfu :popcorn:

Or at least some larger pictures!

Man, it would really stink if you have to buy into the new breach-lock resizing system in order to use the press's automation for sizing boolits. Although looking at the cost of the die itself and then the appropriate sizing insert, it's not too painful. But it would be nice to use the ten or so Lee push through sizing dies I already have on the shelf with the automation on the press. : /

If I didn't have my son to help me size the several thousand rounds of 9mm I cast each week, I'd go nuts. I know that we both would really appreciate the time savings this machine has the potential of offering.

I hope you early adopters will fill us in with big pictures and lots of videos of the thing in action.

My wife made me decide between this press or a new boolit mold for Christmas. I chose the mold, as I still don't know exactly what this new press is capable of doing. Ah well, my birthday is in February... hopefully enough time to see what this thing will do. ;)

JBinMN
12-02-2019, 03:31 PM
Or at least some larger pictures!

Man, it would really stink if you have to buy into the new breach-lock resizing system in order to use the press's automation for sizing boolits. Although looking at the cost of the die itself and then the appropriate sizing insert, it's not too painful. But it would be nice to use the ten or so Lee push through sizing dies I already have on the shelf with the automation on the press. : /

If I didn't have my son to help me size the several thousand rounds of 9mm I cast each week, I'd go nuts. I know that we both would really appreciate the time savings this machine has the potential of offering.

I hope you early adopters will fill us in with big pictures and lots of videos of the thing in action.

My wife made me decide between this press or a new boolit mold for Christmas. I chose the mold, as I still don't know exactly what this new press is capable of doing. Ah well, my birthday is in February... hopefully enough time to see what this thing will do. ;)

Phlier,

I don't know if you have already run across this topic about Automating sizers, but it might be worth a look for your situation, as well as some video links, related links & such that are in the multi pages of this topic:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?384855-Automating-bullet-sizer

There are a few more topics around this CB.GL forum, but you will have to do a bit of searching in order to find them if you want more info.

G'Luck!
;)

P.S. - Here are some "related topics":

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238711-Home-made-auto-sizer

( Note - ^ The above topic has 19 pages. ;) )

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?86987-Lee-bullet-feeder-for-push-through-sizer

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?351907-Pneumatic-Sizer

I reckon there are more, but those should keep ya busy if ya want to go check them out...
;)

P.P.S. - The member here called, jmorris, has a lot of automated equipment for our pastime, and may be someone to whom youmight contact for more info as well.
;)

Mytmousemalibu
12-02-2019, 03:44 PM
I've got a deluxe version + swage'r die pre ordered! Can't wait to get it!

sagebrush rebel
12-02-2019, 03:47 PM
I was asked to delete mention of any bullet feeder. Thanks Don

AR-Bossman
12-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Karl Bibb's Reloadings has a bullet feeder that put the bullets nose down and he has one of the Lee APP presses on order so he can make an adapter for it to the Lee press. The feeder can be make to feed the bullets nose up also. He is great to deal with and I have no affiliation with him. His bullet feeder runs about $200. I just put this out there if any one is interested.

Does he sell them on facebook or a web site?

Phlier
12-02-2019, 04:30 PM
Karl Bibb's Reloadings has a bullet feeder that put the bullets nose down and he has one of the Lee APP presses on order so he can make an adapter for it to the Lee press. The feeder can be make to feed the bullets nose up also. He is great to deal with and I have no affiliation with him. His bullet feeder runs about $200. I just put this out there if any one is interested.

Does he sell them on facebook or a web site?
Facebook, unfortunately. That's the only reason I haven't ordered one from him already. I refuse to do the Facebook thing. : / If you have a 3D printer, you can actually print the whole shebang yourself. There are a ton of threads about it here and on other forums that'll really help you get one put together yourself if you have a 3D printer. If you don't have a printer, then supposedly the Karl Bibb thing is a great alternative.

If you have a 3D printer and are interested, just holler, and I'll supply you with links to pretty much everything you'll need... the thingiverse files, appropriate forum threads, etc. But only if you have a printer, as it's a bit of work to throw all of the information together. If you're just casually interested in it, a Google search for "OpenBulletFeeder" will get you started.

Phlier,

I don't know if you have already run across this topic about Automating sizers, but it might be worth a look for your situation, as well as some video links, related links & such that are in the multi pages of this topic:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?384855-Automating-bullet-sizer

There are a few more topics around this CB.GL forum, but you will have to do a bit of searching in order to find them if you want more info.

G'Luck!
;)

P.S. - Here are some "related topics":

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238711-Home-made-auto-sizer

( Note - ^ The above topic has 19 pages. ;) )

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?86987-Lee-bullet-feeder-for-push-through-sizer

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?351907-Pneumatic-Sizer

I reckon there are more, but those should keep ya busy if ya want to go check them out...
;)

P.P.S. - The member here called, jmorris, has a lot of automated equipment for our pastime, and may be someone to whom youmight contact for more info as well.
;)

I'm a big fan of Mr. Morris's machines, both here and on other forums, as well as his YouTube channel. Man, that guy is so very talented.

Thanks for all those links! :) I've read pretty much all of them all the way through over the past few years. And yet *still* I waffle... ;) This new Lee press looks to do a lot of the automation I'd like at a very attractive price point. That's why it really showed up on my radar. The possibility of relatively cheaply automating a lot of the drudgery of boolit sizing has a lot of appeal.

I'm actually procrastinating, sitting here posting/reading the forums; I have a little over 2,000 cast and PC'd 9mm boolits waiting to be sized. My son is getting out of sizing duty, as he's loading up 38 Special right now on the LCT.

megasupermagnum
12-02-2019, 04:43 PM
I just pre-ordered the deluxe press and #2 primer pocket swager from Titan reloading. I also ordered every size I thought I would need of the new sizing bushings from midway.

Phlier
12-02-2019, 04:58 PM
I just pre-ordered the deluxe press and #2 primer pocket swager from Titan reloading. I also ordered every size I thought I would need of the new sizing bushings from midway.

Congrats! Did the order confirmation email they sent ya include an estimated ship date? Just curious if the timeline on their web site jives with what they're saying on the order confirmation email. The press has been delayed a couple of times so far, just wondering what the very latest word is.

megasupermagnum
12-02-2019, 07:39 PM
no, it just says "order status-pending".

Racefiets
12-13-2019, 09:44 AM
Got an email from FS reloading that the expected date for the press to be in stock is 26 januari.

baragasam
12-13-2019, 04:12 PM
LOL, I modified a Lee Loadmaster by epoxying the plunger to a piece of 45ACP brass to fit into the 12L shell plate. Took out the indexer and now have a single stage sizing setup. It's not perfect but it gets the work done (as done so after thousands of bullets)

flyingmonkey35
12-13-2019, 05:49 PM
I pre ordered mine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jmar254
12-14-2019, 10:05 AM
I’ll be waiting for v2 or 3 and keep using my upside down press.

psychbiker
12-14-2019, 02:43 PM
I saw this on a casting facebook group and knew there'd be a thread on it.

I like that I can swage now with somewhat of a feeder. I was going to use my 650 with a Swage It kit but might just sell that now

Question:

I'm using a Lee press upside down with lee push through sizer dies. I've got about 10 of them. Will this press use my current lee sizing dies? Hopefully so. I'd hate to have to buy all knew sizing dies WITH the press.

AR-Bossman
12-14-2019, 02:47 PM
Anyone know how to embed the videos below to this forum?
Edit.. funny how preview don't show they are embedded..what a ***

I still haven't found out if my old bullet sizers will work or not.

https://vimeo.com/379362155
https://vimeo.com/379358431
https://vimeo.com/379353969

psychbiker
12-14-2019, 02:54 PM
^^ Yeah, I can't tell from the video if the original push through sizing dies will work. They will certainly thread in BUT might not side flush to allow the slider to seat a bullet.

It looks like it might might if you just thread the die down BUT probably wont be able to use the catch bottle.

Pic of the their new "BL" sizing die that's only to be used with the new 'Breech Lock Sizer Kit'.

https://www.titanreloading.com/image/catalog/Lee/APP/91505.jpg

Definitely different than the regular push through sizer that's threaded into the press.

shooter bob
12-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Ar Bossman sorry to say but the way I read it new push through size dies will have to be purchased

AR-Bossman
12-14-2019, 03:09 PM
The bullet catch bottle is a joke. Fill that up in 5 minutes. Should just have a tubing adapter so we can attach some tubing and have them drop into a bucket or something

I'm assuming the push post mount is part of the initial breach lock bullet sizing kit and then you buy your sizing dies. I will call Monday to get an idea what is going on.

Also

Update from John Lee:

The million-cycle fatigue test is complete, and I am delighted to report it was a complete success. There were no failures of any component and normal wear at the lever pivot points. The wear on the linkage does not affect the function of the press in any way. Simply adjusting the die into the press a little further to allow for the “slop” in the linkage restores the press to perfect operation. Had we lubricated the pivot points more often, the wear likely would have been reduced. We lubed the press when it began “talking” the proverbial squeaking wheel needing grease.

With the exception of large primer pocket swaging, no one will apply the amount of pressure that we applied during the fatigue test, and it is highly unlikely any reloader would cycle the lever a million times in a lifetime.

I have a little bad news to report, and that is, we are likely going to miss the end of year ship date that I originally predicted. Two components on the automation package required tool modifications and a material change that has pushed us into the holiday season and progress grinds to a halt during these festive days.

onelight
12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the update .
The catch bottle is a nice size for primers but like you say small for bullets but then I don't know how much weight the plastic threads would take , looks simple enough to put a bucket or other container under it for bullets and cases.

Phlier
12-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Anyone know how to embed the videos below to this forum?
Edit.. funny how preview don't show they are embedded..what a ***

I still haven't found out if my old bullet sizers will work or not.

https://vimeo.com/379362155
https://vimeo.com/379358431
https://vimeo.com/379353969

Thank you very much for posting those videos. That's exactly what I've been waiting for.. videos that actually show the press in use. Much appreciated. It's not looking like our library of Lee push through sizing dies is going to work with this press. That really <insert expletive of your choice here>. Not happy about having to purchase identical tooling. :(

The bullet catch bottle is a joke. Fill that up in 5 minutes. Should just have a tubing adapter so we can attach some tubing and have them drop into a bucket or something

I'm assuming the push post mount is part of the initial breach lock bullet sizing kit and then you buy your sizing dies. I will call Monday to get an idea what is going on.

Also

Update from John Lee:

The million-cycle fatigue test is complete, and I am delighted to report it was a complete success. There were no failures of any component and normal wear at the lever pivot points. The wear on the linkage does not affect the function of the press in any way. Simply adjusting the die into the press a little further to allow for the “slop” in the linkage restores the press to perfect operation. Had we lubricated the pivot points more often, the wear likely would have been reduced. We lubed the press when it began “talking” the proverbial squeaking wheel needing grease.

With the exception of large primer pocket swaging, no one will apply the amount of pressure that we applied during the fatigue test, and it is highly unlikely any reloader would cycle the lever a million times in a lifetime.

I have a little bad news to report, and that is, we are likely going to miss the end of year ship date that I originally predicted. Two components on the automation package required tool modifications and a material change that has pushed us into the holiday season and progress grinds to a halt during these festive days.

Completely agree about the catch bottle. It does look like it might be fairly easy to hook something up to it in the manner you describe, though.

Thanks for the update on the timeline, too.

It really does look like it'll be a handy little utility press, but having to re-purchase sizing dies sucks. Hopefully, enough guys will complain that they'll figure out some sort of adapter for our existing Lee Push Through Sizing Kits. I know they'll be hearing (politely, of course) from me about it.

Kenstone
12-14-2019, 06:24 PM
^^ Yeah, I can't tell from the video if the original push through sizing dies will work. They will certainly thread in BUT might not side flush to allow the slider to seat a bullet.

It looks like it might might if you just thread the die down BUT probably wont be able to use the catch bottle.

Pic of the their new "BL" sizing die that's only to be used with the new 'Breech Lock Sizer Kit'.

https://www.titanreloading.com/image/catalog/Lee/APP/91505.jpg

Definitely different than the regular push through sizer that's threaded into the press.

You'll need this BL Bullet Sizer Kit ($15) to put that bushing into:
Looks like this die/bushing "kit"can be used in a conventional press too, just Die on top, push punch on the bottom/ram.
;)

415m3
12-14-2019, 07:05 PM
I have one on pre-order also. Wonder if I'll be able to use my NOE bushing sizer on this?

dansedgli
12-16-2019, 07:07 AM
I cant wait to get one. It has to be more durable than my star sizer.

Hopefully the bullet feeder is robust and reliable.

AR-Bossman
12-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Talked to a Lee tech named Peter, and he said you have to get the new style bullet sizers for this press.

I also called Titan after a bit more research and there is no reason the old system won't work based on what info we have. He is going to email Lee and see just EXACTLY why the old setup won't work. If it's just about being able to thread the bottle on, almost nobody is gonna give 2 craps about that bottle.

Update: Confirmed you CAN use your old sizing dies. Apparently they have a little right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing over at LEE.

https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/InstallBulletSizingKitIntoAPPpress.pdf

Burnt Fingers
12-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Even though I have a Star I'm going to buy one of these....if the NOE sizing system will work with it, and it appears that it will.

drac0nic
12-16-2019, 02:43 PM
Looking at the way that the sizing stuff works my guess is going to be you'll be able to use your old sizing dies but you're not going to be able to use the collection hopper for this.

Actually, look at this kit:

It will be interesting to see if the hopper can be used with a second nut and a conventional die.

AR-Bossman
12-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Looking at the way that the sizing stuff works my guess is going to be you'll be able to use your old sizing dies but you're not going to be able to use the collection hopper for this.

It will be interesting to see if the hopper can be used with a second nut and a conventional die.

Nobody wants that hopper for bullets. It's way too small.

drac0nic
12-16-2019, 03:00 PM

I'm thinking about seeing if I can stick a piece of heater hose or vinyl tubing on the die and then having it slope downwards a bit into something like a 1lb powder canister or bigger as a catch can.

Mytmousemalibu
12-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Dang! Missing the projected date sucks, was hoping to be cranking on mine soon but looks like we're stuck with another 1.5 months. Well my Bday is at the end of January so perhaps a sweet gift to myself for it!

baragasam
12-16-2019, 04:58 PM

I wouldn't even use the hopper. I would put a container right below for the bullets to drop.

Phlier
12-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Talked to a Lee tech named Peter, and he said you have to get the new style bullet sizers for this press.

I also called Titan after a bit more research and there is no reason the old system won't work based on what info we have. He is going to email Lee and see just EXACTLY why the old setup won't work. If it's just about being able to thread the bottle on, almost nobody is gonna give 2 craps about that bottle.

Update: Confirmed you CAN use your old sizing dies. Apparently they have a little right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing over at LEE.

https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/InstallBulletSizingKitIntoAPPpress.pdf

Great information, thanks for this! Hated to think about replacing all of my Lee push through sizing dies just for the convenience of this press.

Dang! Missing the projected date sucks, was hoping to be cranking on mine soon but looks like we're stuck with another 1.5 months. Well my Bday is at the end of January so perhaps a sweet gift to myself for it!
Yup. Mine's in mid February. Wife made me decided between this press or a new mold for Christmas. Looks like I made the right choice by going with the mold. :) Ah well, my son can handle sizing boolits on the LCT for another couple months. ;)

I wouldn't even use the hopper. I would put a container right below for the bullets to drop.
I'm thinking I might re-purpose the plastic spent primer tube that came with my LCT. Use it to slow down and guide the sized boolits down to a container on the floor.

Kenstone
12-16-2019, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking about seeing if I can stick a piece of heater hose or vinyl tubing on the die and then having it slope downwards a bit into something like a 1lb powder canister or bigger as a catch can.

I do that with the one piece Lee sizers in a standard press, a piece of clear vinyl tube (might be 3/4 or 7/8") slipped over the top/knurled part of the die.
The bullets push along in the tube, over the natural arc in the tube, and fall out of the other end of the tube into a container on the bench, I never have to empty it.

Loudy13
12-16-2019, 06:14 PM
In action looks like fun

https://youtu.be/InOzvm2BnXQ

megasupermagnum
12-16-2019, 07:25 PM
I've been busy, and have not got a chance to try the new bullet sizing inserts yet. Just so everyone is aware, these do need a breech lock capable press to use. The breech lock is the assembly that holds the sizing bushings in. You can buy both a 1 1/4-12 and a 1 1/2-12 to Breech Lock adapters from Lee for around $10, likely less from other sources. I'll save judgment on the catch bottle until after I try it, but I too am not that impressed. I like the red bottle you got with their old sizing dies, they work fine, hold a decent amount of bullets. The new catch bottle looks smaller, but what I don't like is the first bullets are going to be falling a distance on each other. A ding in the bullet base is a destroyed bullet. A section of thread will be left exposed, so you could figure something out. A hose into a large container sounds like a perfect solution.

drac0nic
12-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Aaah cool, that's good to know. The idea these work in breech lock presses kind of infers the opposite in that if you have breech lock bushings you can use a standard die in the press. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but hey I prepaid so I'll be glad to validate my purchase. :P

megasupermagnum
12-16-2019, 08:01 PM
I am not all that amazed by the breech lock bushings. They are not a hindrance either. In presses like my Lee hand press that come with them, I simply leave them installed and thread the dies in. If I were to want to use these breech lock sizer bushings on a standard press like an RCBS rock chucker, I would get the 1/4-12 breech lock adapter, one breech lock bushing, and just leave it in. You can't use these sizing bushing in anything other than the specific breech lock assembly, which is just a bored out breech lock bushing, and has a step inside to hold the bushing.

Beetmagnet
12-16-2019, 08:41 PM

Got the update too late. I talked with a Lee tech this morning and he said you had to use the new sizer die. Seems he doesn't know per the updates above. Too late, I already order the new sizers and new breech lock bushings. Oh well.

Mytmousemalibu
12-16-2019, 11:24 PM
I very well might be sizing bullets with mine but for me by a LARGE margin, will be for decapping brass which looks like it will be a treat for that! I will make a drop tube to a bucket to collect the brass. Not worried about the bottle at all, I have a primer disposal system that collects all my presses to a single receptacle. I can create something for bullet collection. Probably use it for bulge busting .40 S&W brass when I get a Single Stack and Limited gun going.

Ill feed it brass with either the case feeder on my Dillon via feed tube or my feeder I built on my current depriming machine.

psychbiker
12-17-2019, 03:23 AM
Piece of PVC notched wouldn’t be perfect to cover the diameter of the hole, creating a Chute for sized bullets or brass.

I’m gonna wait a month and hop on this knowing my sizing dies will fit.

Might even use a Dillon case feeder for the swaging.

drac0nic
12-17-2019, 09:10 AM
I very well might be sizing bullets with mine but for me by a LARGE margin, will be for decapping brass which looks like it will be a treat for that! I will make a drop tube to a bucket to collect the brass. Not worried about the bottle at all, I have a primer disposal system that collects all my presses to a single receptacle. I can create something for bullet collection. Probably use it for bulge busting .40 S&W brass when I get a Single Stack and Limited gun going.

Ill feed it brass with either the case feeder on my Dillon via feed tube or my feeder I built on my current depriming machine.

I want to swage primer pockets. I have a stack of 5.56 that needs to get run through. I have the pocket reamer and typically stick it in a drill press and it's neither fast nor really that great IMO.

Mytmousemalibu
12-18-2019, 12:32 PM
I want to swage primer pockets. I have a stack of 5.56 that needs to get run through. I have the pocket reamer and typically stick it in a drill press and it's neither fast nor really that great IMO.

I forgot about that but I'll have the occasional run of swage'n to do too. I have a process to turn 5.56 brass into essentially .38 Super Comp, known as .38TJ, Todd Jarrett. I have buckets of 5.56 brass and can get more that ends up being way cheaper than Super Comp. Part of said process is swageing that crimp out.

Long as this new App Press is well made, sturdy, and feeds reliably, its going to be an awesome machine! Especially for the price. If my own beta testing goes well I'll probably buy another!

drac0nic
12-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Anyone thought about sticking a Dillon trimmer on this thing yet by the way? If I had $300 to blow that's what I'd do I suspect. Now that I've said it would it fit?

Phlier
12-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Anyone thought about sticking a Dillon trimmer on this thing yet by the way? If I had $300 to blow that's what I'd do I suspect. Now that I've said it would it fit?

I have a 1050 tool head set up for processing 5.56 brass with a Dillon trimmer mounted to it. Definitely something I'll be trying when I get the APP, but that's still a few months away for me.

Mollyboy
12-18-2019, 10:52 PM
Primer pocket swagger video is on the lee website looks fast also looks like it takes a pretty good push on the lever. I don’t know how to link the video

Kenstone
12-18-2019, 11:36 PM
Primer pocket swagger video is on the lee website looks fast also looks like it takes a pretty good push on the lever. I don’t know how to link the video

Here's a link to the page, scroll down, vids at the bottom:
https://leeprecision.com/deluxe-app-press.html
That vid of the primer pocket swage is a poor indorsement for Lee's press stand as it's flexing big time...
:?
I'm thinking all that push is to compress the Bellville Washers used to strip the case off the swagger pin.
:-)

megasupermagnum
12-18-2019, 11:47 PM

Compared to my RCBS kit, that Lee die looks like no effort at all. I especially like that you don't have to slam the handle up to force the shell off.

The only thing I'm wondering now is if the 4 tube case feeder from the Pro1000 will fit. de capping looks slick as snot with this press, and being able to load 4 tubes with that black magic case collator would be tops.

AR-Bossman
12-19-2019, 01:52 PM
That vid of the primer pocket swage is a poor indorsement for Lee's press stand as it's flexing big time...
I'm thinking all that push is to compress the Bellville Washers used to strip the case off the swagger pin.

That primer pocket video is so awesome. I can imagine a nice case feeder sitting up there and a giant bucket of brass being processed in a short amount of time.

AR-Bossman
12-19-2019, 01:56 PM

There's no way it would fit between the STOCK handle. But if a person had the will they could make an altered version that was wider and taller to accommodate that large trimmer motor and the vacuum attachment.

onelight
12-20-2019, 07:28 AM
I use that same stand for loading 9 , 40 , 45acp , 38 / 357 none of these are hard to resize but I don't get flex that I see in that video I did not notice the flex in the other videos . His stand may not be bolted together well , or the the pocket tool puts more pressure on the stand than what I load . It does appear to run nice and smooth compared to my RCBS tool , the videos are great to see it in action .

Kenstone
12-20-2019, 01:53 PM
I use that same stand for loading 9 , 40 , 45acp , 38 / 357 none of these are hard to resize but I don't get flex that I see in that video I did not notice the flex in the other videos . His stand may not be bolted together well , or the the pocket tool puts more pressure on the stand than what I load . It does appear to run nice and smooth compared to my RCBS tool , the videos are great to see it in action .

Good to know
You can see movement of the back leg where it bolts to the top, probably because the bolts are not tight.

I also am concerned about the "pass thru" shell holder distorting the case rim when subjected to the pressure generated while swaging the primer pocket.
jmo,
[smilie=f:
Edit2: After watching the vid, it looks like the shell holder is not subject to any forces during the swaging operation, and I'm no longer concerned about the case rim....now I'll have to buy one [smilie=f:
Edit: add pic of Bellville washers (green in this pic):

onelight
12-20-2019, 03:39 PM
Yup I would think it would be good to lube the pockets well , gonna be interesting to see some real world reviews, on my rcbs getting the tit out of the case was harder than pushing it in the springs in this one may help that.
One thing about it is that if it works like the videos show I will have several uses for it even if one of them does not work the way I want.

AR-Bossman
12-20-2019, 06:18 PM
Good to know
You can see movement of the back leg where it bolts to the top, probably because the bolts are not tight.

I also am concerned about the "pass thru" shell holder distorting the case rim when subjected to the pressure generated while swaging the primer pocket.
jmo,
[smilie=f:
Edit: add pic of Bellville washers (green in this pic):

Can't be any worse than that setup people are using on the XL650. That just straight up pushes up on everything, NO interior support. Some people rave about it a couple were not impressed.

tomme boy
12-26-2019, 04:55 AM
Jan. 24th, 2020 is the ship date now.

Has anyone talked to Lee to see if the multi tube case feeder will be able to go onto the feeder they have now? I ordered the deluxe and 4 sizers and the sizer kit. I need to order a few more parts yet. I think I will get the remainder from Titan.

Do you really think you will need a separate primer swage for 9mm and 223? I do both now with a RCBS press mounted one.

megasupermagnum
12-26-2019, 12:07 PM
I don't load 5.56 or 9mm auto, but according to the Lee website the dies are different. I also see they make a shell holder adapter. You could likely buy that adapter, and buy shell holders for whatever small primer pocket case you want. I don't know if they always had them or not, but it looks like they have both standard and x-press shell holders for the whole spectrum of cases.

6bg6ga
12-26-2019, 12:15 PM
Just too much plastic on it to suit me. I'll stick to what I have.

Phlier
12-26-2019, 03:38 PM
Well, I jumped in. Just ordered the Deluxe APP off of Titan's site.

The Deluxe kit says that it includes the fingers needed for .22 cal bullets, but I'm gonna be sizing mostly 9mm's. So I ordered the fingers (https://www.titanreloading.com/9mm365-dia-to46-long-feed-die-fingers-?search=90886)from Lee's bullet feeder kit for 9mm. Hope they end up being compatible with this press, but it does look like the APP uses the same hardware from their existing bullet feeder lineup. Ordered them in all the various lengths for 9mm boolit sizing goodness.

AR-Bossman
12-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Well, I jumped in. Just ordered the Deluxe APP off of Titan's site.

The Deluxe kit says that it includes the fingers needed for .22 cal bullets, but I'm gonna be sizing mostly 9mm's. So I ordered the fingers (https://www.titanreloading.com/9mm365-dia-to46-long-feed-die-fingers-?search=90886)from Lee's bullet feeder kit for 9mm. Hope they end up being compatible with this press, but it does look like the APP uses the same hardware from their existing bullet feeder lineup. Ordered them in all the various lengths for 9mm boolit sizing goodness.

Phlier, I would call Titan and verify this. From my eye, NONE of the parts from the APP sliding setup share anything with the Lee bullet feeder setup. I'm pretty familiar with it and I don't see anything that looks like a crossover part.
At some point I think Lee will have the individual pieces for sale once initial sales needs are met and people start breaking stuff.

onelight
12-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Jan. 24th, 2020 is the ship date now.

Has anyone talked to Lee to see if the multi tube case feeder will be able to go onto the feeder they have now? I ordered the deluxe and 4 sizers and the sizer kit. I need to order a few more parts yet. I think I will get the remainder from Titan.

Do you really think you will need a separate primer swage for 9mm and 223? I do both now with a RCBS press mounted one.

I have not noticed any one mentioning if Lee has said if the 4 tube feeder will work. But looking at the videos I can't see a reason it wouldn't but who knows . I have a couple so it will be interesting to find out.

Phlier
12-26-2019, 08:20 PM
Phlier, I would call Titan and verify this. From my eye, NONE of the parts from the APP sliding setup share anything with the Lee bullet feeder setup. I'm pretty familiar with it and I don't see anything that looks like a crossover part.
At some point I think Lee will have the individual pieces for sale once initial sales needs are met and people start breaking stuff.

I was afraid that might be the case, but I'll still have use for those parts even if they don't fit... I'm going to mount a bracket on my son's 550 that will allow the Lee bullet feeder to work with his press. Kind of a poor man's DAA kit, but it's better than nothing. ;)

Yeah, being able to use them for another purpose is why I went ahead and took the chance.

I sure wish they'd make the 9mm arms for the APP available at launch, but then again, they don't even seem to be capable of getting the plastic bottle ready before then, either. ;)

Soundguy
12-26-2019, 08:54 PM
That big old bottle has to go someplace so my guess would be it goes over the side but thought I saw it doesn't hang over the bench.

Lee sizing dies work well if you tumble lube the bullets in alox or one of the variations instead of PC or stick lubes such as one uses with the lube-o-matic.

I think it is a neat idea but... you first. I think there are things I would rather purchase first and I'm good letting someone else help them find the bugs. It did seem that one could spend some coin getting the related items needed to get the most out of that press.

I tumble lube all my size/size and gas check boolits first, then I go back and pan lube the ones with grease grooves, ir re tumble the ones with micro grooves.

AR-Bossman
12-26-2019, 09:22 PM
Phlier, I have a gut feeling that the APP bullet feeder we see in the video is almost a universal, but that the 22 was just too small and needed it's own arms.

AR-Bossman
12-26-2019, 09:31 PM
I have not noticed any one mentioning if Lee has said if the 4 tube feeder will work. But looking at the videos I can't see a reason it wouldn't but who knows . I have a couple so it will be interesting to find out.

If you look at the videos, the adapter they are sending with the deluxe kit mounts with a threaded rod just like the Lee case feeder does and appears to have the same spacing. I can't imagine a world where they didn't think about people using their case feeder.

Phlier
12-26-2019, 10:12 PM
Phlier, I have a gut feeling that the APP bullet feeder we see in the video is almost a universal, but that the 22 was just too small and needed it's own arms.

Ah, that would be very cool.

kevin c
12-27-2019, 03:46 AM
They've changed the text description. Better in some ways, still not entirely clear (maybe just to me) in others.

The .22 bullet fingers or jaws are now explicitly included and can be seen in the picture showing the automation kit (don't remember if they were there before?). Another set of jaws can be seen already installed in the top left red colored device in the same picture; for all the other caliber bullets?

Now the three included X-Press shell holders are described: #2 (45 ACP, .308 and 30-06), #4 (.223 Rem, 5.56 NATO, 300 BO), and #19 (9mm Luger and .40 S&W). The three presumably also take the variants of those same cases, to account for the "over sixty cartridges" they work on.

mac60
12-28-2019, 07:12 PM
Ok - I'm in. Ordered most of the extra "bits and pieces" I'll need today from Titan. The primer pocket swagers were out of stock, but got most everything else. It was twice what I paid for the press. Oh, by the way Titan had the order shipped out within a few hours. Great outfit to do business with!

Phlier
12-30-2019, 10:48 AM
Has anyone heard if this kit will be coming with mounting hardware? Any news on whether or not it'll be compatible with Lee's Bench Plate (https://leeprecision.com/bench-plate.html)?

In the videos, it looks like they have the press mounted to the Lee Bench Plate base, but the plate that mounts to the press itself (that then slides into the base) doesn't look like the standard bench plate (https://leeprecision.com/steel-base-block.html).

Just trying to figure out how I'm gonna mount the APP. I'd like to swap it out easily with my LCT by using the Lee quick change system, but I have no idea what comes with the press, what else I need to get, etc.

kevin c
12-31-2019, 06:30 AM
I'm pretty basic in my construction skills (no metal fabrication and minimal carpentry knowledge to boot), but what has worked for me is bolting my presses and other reloading equipment to a 2x4 and bolting or clamping that in turn to what and wherever I want. I'm figuring on doing the same with my AAP. That may not suit you, I'd have to admit.

RedlegEd
12-31-2019, 10:46 AM
Has anyone heard if this kit will be coming with mounting hardware? Any news on whether or not it'll be compatible with Lee's Bench Plate (https://leeprecision.com/bench-plate.html)?

In the videos, it looks like they have the press mounted to the Lee Bench Plate base, but the plate that mounts to the press itself (that then slides into the base) doesn't look like the standard bench plate (https://leeprecision.com/steel-base-block.html).

Just trying to figure out how I'm gonna mount the APP. I'd like to swap it out easily with my LCT by using the Lee quick change system, but I have no idea what comes with the press, what else I need to get, etc.

Hi Phlier!
Mine is on order too, and I'm not sure what comes with it. I figure even if it's not completely compatible with the existing bench plate insert, I can make an extended one out of 3/4" plywood like I did for my upside down Lee sizing press. The original Lee Bench Plates came with wooden inserts instead of the steel ones. They even provided a template in the instructions how to make your own. In any event, I can't wait to get my APP and start playing with it. Ed

253945 253946 253947

Phlier
12-31-2019, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty basic in my construction skills (no metal fabrication and minimal carpentry knowledge to boot), but what has worked for me is bolting my presses and other reloading equipment to a 2x4 and bolting or clamping that in turn to what and wherever I want. I'm figuring on doing the same with my AAP. That may not suit you, I'd have to admit.
That sounds like a great way to, at least temporarily, get me up and running. Thanks!

Hi Phlier!
Mine is on order too, and I'm not sure what comes with it. I figure even if it's not completely compatible with the existing bench plate insert, I can make an extended one out of 3/4" plywood like I did for my upside down Lee sizing press. The original Lee Bench Plates came with wooden inserts instead of the steel ones. They even provided a template in the instructions how to make your own. In any event, I can't wait to get my APP and start playing with it. Ed

253945 253946 253947

Hey Ed, thanks for that. You know, I think I saw that Lee still makes "customize yourself" wood "plates" for their base... I'll have to look into it!

Edit: Found the Hardwood Blanks (https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-hardwood-base-blanks) for the Lee base plate. So I'm planning on using the hardwood blanks and the base plate to mount the APP when it comes.

Phlier
01-15-2020, 09:12 AM
Getting close! Should start hearing of guys getting their presses within the next ten days or so.

I'm building up a nice little stockpile of unsized boolits to break in the press. :)

rototerrier
01-15-2020, 10:25 AM
Getting close! Should start hearing of guys getting their presses within the next ten days or so.

I'm building up a nice little stockpile of unsized boolits to break in the press. :)

Was there an official release date somewhere that I missed? I Pre Ordered through titan back before christmas but haven't seen or heard a thing since.

Dimner
01-15-2020, 01:04 PM
Was there an official release date somewhere that I missed? I Pre Ordered through titan back before christmas but haven't seen or heard a thing since.

I have not heard anything either. I pre-ordered early December. I'm getting antsy though... It is getting closer and closer to CMP highpower season and I have 1000 primer pockets to swage and then that many or more bullets to resize.

mac60
01-15-2020, 06:13 PM

There was a post somewhere upstream that mentioned Jan. 24th as an expected shipping date.

Dimner
01-15-2020, 07:58 PM
I think the date may have changed. It's now showing:

Shipping in Early 2020.
We are taking Pre-orders now.

I think before it said "end of January". I'm not sure I like the change because who knows "early 2020" is. I may just go back to reaming my primer pockets, using my NOE bullet sizer and save the money for molds.

Phlier
01-15-2020, 09:31 PM
It was either Titan's or Lee's site that said January 24th was the expected ship date. I'll have to look and see if that has been changed now...

Edit: Just checked both sites, and neither of them have the January 24th release date on them now. Darn it, it looks like it's going to be even later.

megasupermagnum
01-15-2020, 11:21 PM
FS Reloading website says expected in stock January 20th, 2020, so not all hope is lost.

AR-Bossman
01-16-2020, 01:53 PM
Someone on another forum said they got a order processed and shipping from LEE themselves.

AR-Bossman
01-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Update. But FS has them listed as March 2020 now....

kevin c
01-16-2020, 06:05 PM
I just got off the phone, calling Titan on the status of my order. This is what I was told:

The regular APP press and the deluxe kit are still due on January 24th. The delay is related to a materials issue that has been resolved, but which put things back.

The primer pocket swager apparently has undergone a redesign which the Titan rep said will necessitate the use of the push through Xpress dies, (though I thought that was always the case). There is also a cost difference in the swager itself though I didn't get exactly what that would be. The swager is now listed as available on February 7th, and my order from Titan for the Deluxe APP and swager will be delayed to ship all together. The Deluxe kit includes the Xpress shell holders I need for the cases I want to process. I don't know if the cost change is going to affect the Black Friday pricing deal I got.

I'm used to waiting on things, so, while a bit disappointing to hear, my extra couple weeks, which isn't going to apply to everyone ordering the APP, is something I can put up with.

megasupermagnum
01-16-2020, 09:19 PM
Did you guys see they are also including a decapping AND FLARE die? Maybe not a game changer, but now I can skip an extra flaring step if I want to. Lee is cranking things way up this year.

kevin c
01-16-2020, 11:11 PM
Where did you see that, megasupermagnum? I don't see anything in the AAP descriptions on the Lee or Titan sites.

sagebrush rebel
01-17-2020, 04:54 PM
At the bottom of the Lee site for the APP press, it states Jan. 24 as due date.

mac60
01-17-2020, 05:01 PM
Where did you see that, megasupermagnum? I don't see anything in the AAP descriptions on the Lee or Titan sites.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-presses/app-automatic-processing-press/lee-app-primer-swage-tool/lee-app-primer-swage-kit

kevin c
01-18-2020, 05:03 AM
Ah, thank you. I blew right by that. Right now I work mainly with pistol but plan on loading rifle cases. I'm sure I won't really appreciate the decap and flare die provided until I experience first hand just how much more work rifle case prep entails.

Alferd Packer
01-18-2020, 07:46 AM
While it looks like it will size bullets, it has no facility to LUBE same bullets. Powder coaters will like it, but the Lyman 450 series or Magma Star are still the option for lubricizing cast boolits.

I'll be interested in seeing how they feed bullets. Might be a way to automate something like Dillon 550.
Tumble lube before sizing.

Phlier
01-18-2020, 02:25 PM

The Dillon 550 can be automated to use the Lee Bullet Feeder right now. I just ordered this plate (https://www.ebay.com/itm/DILLON-550-PRESS-LEE-BULLET-FEEDER-ADAPTER-PLATE-KIT/273354749822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)from eBay last week... should be getting it today. Bit anxious to see how well it works, really.

Dimner
01-18-2020, 02:35 PM
Wow.. decap and flare... comes with 22 and 30 cal. very nice.

Has anyone talked to titan reloading on how they are going to process pre-orders from us that purchased the old version of the tool (and old pricing) along with the APP?

jessdigs
01-18-2020, 07:01 PM
I'm wondering about this. I posted in another thread about it, but I ordered all three swagers and now there is only one.

The singles were cheaper, but the combo one is less than the three. So do I get a credit? Cash back? What happens?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200118/70513388c03748ed5d5fa46fefd70635.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200118/029bda24c993ad9a77217dcb17567c5b.jpg

megasupermagnum
01-18-2020, 07:22 PM
In my case I only ordered one swager. I'm not going to say a word. Lee will just have to take the hit, they did the pre-order after all. Once you get the order, return what you don't want.

AR-Bossman
01-18-2020, 07:55 PM
What in the world? I ordered way early on from Titan so they better let us know just *** is going on!! Now all they mention is 22 and 30 and no mention of pistol brass swaging. Of course there is NO INFORMATION... Lee has the worst PR people is existence.

megasupermagnum
01-18-2020, 10:55 PM
What in the world? I ordered way early on from Titan so they better let us know just *** is going on!! Now all they mention is 22 and 30 and no mention of pistol brass swaging. Of course there is NO INFORMATION... Lee has the worst PR people is existence.

Relax. There was a design change to the swagers. The APP press is still on time as of now, hopefully shipping next friday. If you want to know more, call Lee. They will answer, they are a great company.

AR-Bossman
01-19-2020, 01:18 AM
Relax. There was a design change to the swagers. The APP press is still on time as of now, hopefully shipping next friday. If you want to know more, call Lee. They will answer, they are a great company.

The same company that I called and the guy said I woudn't be able to use my Lee bullet sizers and would have to get the new style sizers to work with the APP? I think half that company is confused and may not even know they have an APP press.

415m3
01-19-2020, 01:46 AM
The same company that I called and the guy said I woudn't be able to use my Lee bullet sizers and would have to get the new style sizers to work with the APP? I think half that company is confused and may not even know they have an APP press.

Sounds to me like you should cancel your order and just make do with whatever process you had before the whole Lee vs AR-Bossman debacle began. They've definitely got it out for you and it sounds like Lee will not rest until they've driven you insane.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popc orn::popcorn::popcorn:

megasupermagnum
01-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Well they have pictures of completed APP presses going into boxes so...

Dimner
01-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Just received a message from Titan reloading... very happy with the way they are handling this:

Product Change on your Titan Order
Lee Precision has discontinued some of their new Pocket Swaging tools that affect your order.
You had ordered:
Item 91562 the LEE APP #4 PRIMER SWAGE TOOL

Lee has replaced these items with Item 91582 the LEE APP PRIMER SWAGE KIT for $36.25. The final version 91582 now includes the Universal Shell Holder Adapter 91564 that allow for the use of any standard shell holder as well as the new pass through X-Press shell holders and includes 22 &amp;amp; 30 cal. decap and flare die, swage push die, swage holder, 22 cal. and 30 cal. push rod, small swage punch and large punch, and shell holder adapter. You now only need one 91582 to swage all your primer pockets.

This Kit is an additional $6.25, please advise if you want the replacement kit and I will send a PayPal Invoice for $6.25 or a refund for the Primer Swage Tool.
Sincerely,

Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

tomme boy
01-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Lee finally released the instructions for the APP. Looks like they want you to buy an extra adapter if you are using a universal decapping die for 22cal. And they also say it is not recommended to size bottle next cartridges with the pass through shell holder.

Pretty sure they said NOTHING about not being able to use it for bottle neck cases. They actually said it is a good single stage reloading press and push it as being able to.

Typical Lee not letting anyone know what you need and then let everyone else do their development for them

https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/PA4336.pdf

megasupermagnum
01-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Lee finally released the instructions for the APP. Looks like they want you to buy an extra adapter if you are using a universal decapping die for 22cal. And they also say it is not recommended to size bottle next cartridges with the pass through shell holder.

Pretty sure they said NOTHING about not being able to use it for bottle neck cases. They actually said it is a good single stage reloading press and push it as being able to.

Typical Lee not letting anyone know what you need and then let everyone else do their development for them

I don't see where it says you can't use the press for bottle neck cartridges, or as a single stage reloading press. The only thing I see is on page 3, for the new X shell holders, they say it's not recommended to use these for bottleneck cartridges, but if you do, use lee dies and lee case lube. All it is, is that the new X shell holders have 1/3rd of the hold on the case rim. There is a lot more potential to rip the rim off on a hard sizing case. You will be fine with most cases, just don't try and full length size machine gun fired brass using butter for lube.

If that's not good enough, nothing is stopping you from using a standard shell holder.

Dimner
01-22-2020, 08:40 PM
Hmm.... that's disconcerting to say the least.

Manual quote: "...we do not recommend full length resizing rimless bottle neck cases"

How does that not come out before we all pre-order? I specifically purchased this for rifle brass. 308, 223, 30-06, 7x57, for fast processing during the CMP high-power season.

I have to admit I feel misled. They marketed this as a "Press" not solely a decapping, primer pocket swaging, bullet sizing device.

Now, I realize I'm gonna hear "but you can still do it". Sure I can do it at my own risk. But if I break something during the process, Lee has the right to deny my warranty request. They probably will, but I'm still using the press improperly.

I guess I don't like that I purchased a press that I did not know I would be using against the mfg recommendations. Especially when I was led to beleive it was intended that I could full resize rimless bottleneck.

Kenstone
01-22-2020, 10:06 PM

That push thru shell holder has way less rim under the shell holder top and would probably bend the rim rather than extracting a case from a bottle-neck sizing die.
I'm not surprised, and Lee is assuming most would use the standard shell holder if using the press for single stage reloading.
And I don't think this press has anyway to prime "on the press".
just sayin'
:-|

tomme boy
01-23-2020, 01:35 AM
But did you all also read the need for a special decapping rod. And it is not even available yet or a time frame for one. And you need different ones for different calibers. No one has them listed anywhere except Lee. It seems like they want to nickel and dime everyone to death. And think of the extra shipping you will now have to pay because they revised "did not work" the swagers

I have a feeling they sent some of these out to a few people and found out they did not work. They may have passed their 1 million cycle test but they never loaded anything on them. That is the test.

I am going to do some thinking on this. I might cancel my backorder at Midsouth and wait to see if they even work.

kmw1954
01-23-2020, 01:49 AM
I am going to do some thinking on this. I might cancel my backorder at Midsouth and wait to see if they even work.

That may be the best solution instead of having to keep coming back here and complaining. Once they are released and in use with user reviews you will then be able to make a more informed decision. It's what I would do. Just not worth getting all worked up over.

Lloyd Smale
01-23-2020, 07:40 AM
said id never buy another lee press but I will have to eat crow as soon as these are available. For the 80 bucks there advertised for on midsouth its worth the gamble and your not out much if there junk. Sure would speed up sizing pc bullets.

6bg6ga
01-23-2020, 07:46 AM
I'll have to stick firmly to "I'll never buy another Lee product." I have two sizer / lubricators one Star and one Magma and if I ever go the PC route I'll use them.

tomme boy
01-23-2020, 11:38 AM
That may be the best solution instead of having to keep coming back here and complaining. Once they are released and in use with user reviews you will then be able to make a more informed decision. It's what I would do. Just not worth getting all worked up over.
Complaining and informing at the same time. If people would not complain there would be a lot less information out there and not just for this.

kmw1954
01-23-2020, 02:31 PM
tomme boy I understand your point of view. Voicing a legitimate displeasure like you have done is fine and normal and mostly appreciated when there is a problem with a product. I'm just stating that at this point all we have is very sketchy information from Lee and a lot of speculation by end users that don't even have possession of this product yet. In my view even though I am a heavy Lee user it appears that Lee wants it's customers to do the Beta Testing. Which would be fine if they were honest and told people that's what they wanted from us.

This machine is a totally different concept of anything else on in the market, they are trying some things that have never been done before and for that I give them credit. So over the course of this development they have found some snags and things that just are not working out the way the wanted or intended, it happens. Then in this case everyone ordering this machine before it's release is basically becoming a Beta Tester.

For me I don't want to be a Beta Tester and will wait until it has been in use for a while and the bugs worked out. The only reason I would buy it would be to use it as a bullet sizer, everything else is already covered.

thraxx
01-23-2020, 03:24 PM
I got a shipping notice from Titan yesterday...

Phlier
01-23-2020, 04:27 PM
I got a shipping notice from Titan yesterday...

Do you happen to remember the date you placed your order? Mine was 12/26... no shipping notice yet.

tomme boy
01-23-2020, 05:51 PM
tomme boy I understand your point of view. Voicing a legitimate displeasure like you have done is fine and normal and mostly appreciated when there is a problem with a product. I'm just stating that at this point all we have is very sketchy information from Lee and a lot of speculation by end users that don't even have possession of this product yet. In my view even though I am a heavy Lee user it appears that Lee wants it's customers to do the Beta Testing. Which would be fine if they were honest and told people that's what they wanted from us.

This machine is a totally different concept of anything else on in the market, they are trying some things that have never been done before and for that I give them credit. So over the course of this development they have found some snags and things that just are not working out the way the wanted or intended, it happens. Then in this case everyone ordering this machine before it's release is basically becoming a Beta Tester.

For me I don't want to be a Beta Tester and will wait until it has been in use for a while and the bugs worked out. The only reason I would buy it would be to use it as a bullet sizer, everything else is already covered.

I understand totally. I was a beta tester for OMC on a $10K boat motor that blew up 6 times in 2 years. I ended up taking a loss and getting a Mercury and never looked back. Look up the OMC Ficht disaster and how it killed OMC and the whole company going bankrupt.

It seems that companies just put out garbage and let the people do the research for them. I have a LOT of Lee stuff. Some is very good. I guess I will just suck it up and wait to see what else I will have to buy just to get this to do what they promised.

kmw1954
01-23-2020, 06:37 PM
I guess I will just suck it up and wait to see what else I will have to buy just to get this to do what they promised.

Might be a good idea. Let things settle down and work out.

I grew up just 30min from the OMC plant in Waukegan Knew a number of people that had worked there. I still run OMC 2 cylinder outboards. Have a 30hp on a 15' Aluminum fishing boat.

jessdigs
01-23-2020, 07:38 PM
I pre ordered mine on black Friday and have not gotten a shipping notice. I ordered the swagers though, so I might have to wait.

megasupermagnum
01-23-2020, 08:06 PM
I pre ordered mine on black Friday and have not gotten a shipping notice. I ordered the swagers though, so I might have to wait.

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be distributed either tomorrow or Monday. Then hopefully it will be quick. I haven't heard anything on the swagers.

thraxx
01-23-2020, 11:08 PM
Do you happen to remember the date you placed your order? Mine was 12/26... no shipping notice yet.

i ordered 12/2, just the press. I must have added 2 day shipping(?) the tracking number says it will be here tomorrow.

rototerrier
01-24-2020, 04:51 AM
Mine will be here today! Unfortunately I was slow to order my Mr bullet feeder nose down conversion which won't be here until tomorrow. I'll just have to play with it in manual mode for a day.

midnight
01-24-2020, 08:41 AM
I was at Titan Wednesday to get some handles and asked to see the new press. They said they just got it in but hadn't had time to even unpack it.

Bob

Phlier
01-24-2020, 11:15 AM
i ordered 12/2, just the press. I must have added 2 day shipping(?) the tracking number says it will be here tomorrow.

Thanks!

Let us know what you think of the press?

dverna
01-24-2020, 12:35 PM
I use a RC to initially size machine gun brass and it can take a lot of force even with Imperial sizing wax. I doubt the Lee system will work well on that particular application.

I have a Dillon primer pocket swagger, and this tool should be faster, but swaging is a one time operation so not sure if I can justify it or the bench space for that one operation. It would be faster to swage primer pockets for 5.56 as a sperate operation on the 1050. That leaves .308 brass and I do not shoot much of it.

Like another poster, I have a Star so I can already handle bulk cast bullet sizing operations, but the new Lee would be good for someone without a Star who uses BLL, tumble lubing or PC.

For someone without better options, this new Lee tool has a good size market and addresses the needs of many reloaders. And like all tools, it has its limitations and is not for everyone.

It is sad that Lee seems to have rushed it to market. My old adage was "under promise and over deliver". Too many companies over promise and under deliver. Once the bugs are worked out this tool should be fine and offer a very good value. Just give it some time.

jessdigs
01-24-2020, 05:22 PM
Well Titan is awesome. I emailed them and told them I bought all three swagers, but in different orders. I bought the press and 2 swagers in my fist order. Then I bought the last swager, bulge buster, and remaining shell holders that were not included with the deluxe kit in my second order.

I asked if they could ship the press now and ship the swager separately with my second order when the bulge buster and swager comes in. They said they would. This is their response:

Thank you for your email.

This product change by Lee Precision has affected many of our customers and we did not realize you had two orders pending.

On Order 191493, we had sent an email to you on 1/21.

Short version

You had ordered:
Item 91562 the LEE APP #4 PRIMER SWAGE TOOL and
Item 91563 the LEE APP #19 PRIMER SWAGE TOOL both for $27.49 each

We will make an adjustment to your order and issue a Refund for the difference.

We issued a refund for $18.73 to your credit card on 1/21

Order 192737, our email sent on 1/22

You had ordered:
Item 91561 the LEE APP #2 PRIMER SWAGE TOOL for $21.49
This Kit is an additional $14.76, please advise if you want the replacement kit, I should be able to re-charge your credit card. If you no longer want this product we will issue a refund for the Primer Swage Tool.
I will cancel the #2 Swage tool and issue a refund of $21.49 tomorrow morning.

On the next batch of APP Presses from Lee, we will send you yours with any other items we have been holding for you.

Then send the remaining balance (Lee APP Bulge Buster and APP Primer Swage Kit) when received from Lee.

Thank you for your business!

fjsusa1
01-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Hey. I got my press today from titan. It’s smaller than you think. But very cool looking. I’ll post again when I’ve played
with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rototerrier
01-24-2020, 06:21 PM
Setting mine up now. It's smaller than I'd expected. Just have to drill 3 counter sunk holes in my inline fabrication quick change bottom plate and I'll be good to go. I fiddled with it a little and it's pretty easy to setup.

I test fed 10 bullets thru the feeder and it became quickly obvious this thing is useless without a bullet and case feeder. It's too fast and the tubes are way too short!

I have a pile of bullets ready to go for tomorrow when my nose down conversion arrives for my bullet feeder.

jessdigs
01-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Hey. I got my press today from titan. It’s smaller than you think. But very cool looking. I’ll post again when I’ve played
with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Setting mine up now. It's smaller than I'd expected. Just have to drill 3 counter sunk holes in my inline fabrication quick change bottom plate and I'll be good to go. I fiddled with it a little and it's pretty easy to setup.

I test fed 10 bullets thru the feeder and it became quickly obvious this thing is useless without a bullet and case feeder. It's too fast and the tubes are way too short!

I have a pile of bullets ready to go for tomorrow when my nose down conversion arrives for my bullet feeder.Videos or it didn't happen!

rototerrier
01-24-2020, 10:18 PM
This is as far as I got. I'm done until I can get my nose down conversion for my feeder. I've filled it all the way up by hand and it functions very well.

I'll try to get a video up of it tomorrow once I'm in full production. I have a pile of 357 to process.

Tom Myers
01-25-2020, 12:24 AM
Does it look like it will work with Lee's multi tube bullet feeder?

tomme boy
01-25-2020, 12:29 AM
According to the instructions link I posted yes it will. Or supposed to anyway

rototerrier
01-25-2020, 07:34 AM
It's official, I had to make my first upgrade to this press. On the up stroke, the ram just slams into the nuts on the top. Makes a very loud clunk. Loud enough that the wife noticed up stairs.

Added washers and orings to dampen the impact. Much quieter now.

Tom Myers
01-25-2020, 07:48 AM
According to the instructions link I posted yes it will. Or supposed to anyway

I searched the instruction manual and could not find a reference to the Lee Bullet Feeder Multi Tube adapter. I see that it does supply 4 different sized tube diameters.
This adapter is designed to be used with the Lee Bullet Feed Die that is used on the progressive presses and my experience has been that it works quite well with the Bullet feeder.
I imagine that the APP Press feed plate would probably need to be heavily modified to work with the adapter.

tomme boy
01-25-2020, 03:28 PM
I take that back. It is the universal case feed that works on it. I have both. I will be trying to see if the bullet adapter can be made to work.

psychbiker
01-25-2020, 08:19 PM
How solid does it feel? Wonder how it will do if trying to size some fatty bullets.

OS OK
01-25-2020, 09:00 PM
A couple vids so far....an unboxing and assembly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXaV3JJkK0&t=0s

and a de-capping video fail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3kpbcq1Vwo

tomme boy
01-25-2020, 11:19 PM
It did not like those 308w cases.

Dimner
01-26-2020, 12:21 AM
That decapping video....yikes... maybe I should wait longer? Bottle neck rifle cartridges is the only reason I bought this badboy. I probably would do better with a hand deprive tool

AR-Bossman
01-26-2020, 01:32 AM
That guys primers were hanging half way out of his brass

tomme boy
01-26-2020, 04:18 AM
That guys primers were hanging half way out of his brass

That should not matter. It does not matter with all other shell holders

rototerrier
01-26-2020, 07:58 AM
Definitely not enough leverage for brass handling. IMO this is for small caliber bullet sizing only. It's just not big enough or robust enough for anything more.

But, it's exactly what I wanted it for so I'm thrilled.

onelight
01-26-2020, 08:15 AM
That should not matter. It does not matter with all other shell holders

I have some shell holders made without the grove and have occasionally run into the same problem.
I am not sure what brand the ones I have are they are for a standard type rcbs Lyman Lee press.
OS OK Thanks for posting the videos.

psychbiker
01-26-2020, 02:08 PM
I only want this for bulk swaging of 223/308 brass and bulk sizing of casted lead.

Decapping will be done on a 650 for me.

Phlier
01-26-2020, 03:54 PM
Definitely not enough leverage for brass handling. IMO this is for small caliber bullet sizing only. It's just not big enough or robust enough for anything more.

But, it's exactly what I wanted it for so I'm thrilled.
I'm not so sure about that... Look at the mechanical advantage that press has. You're moving the handle a very long distance while the press itself moves maybe 4 inches, tops?

I'll be loading up some 300 Win Mag ammo with it, and I'll let ya know how the resizing goes. ;)

OS OK
01-26-2020, 04:15 PM
Julio is starting to look at sizing casts now and has some thoughts about the old Lee sizing push through dies and NOE sizers too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8RHBGngJPg

rototerrier
01-26-2020, 04:34 PM
I'm not so sure about that... Look at the mechanical advantage that press has. You're moving the handle a very long distance while the press itself moves maybe 4 inches, tops?

I'll be loading up some 300 Win Mag ammo with it, and I'll let ya know how the resizing goes. ;)

I'm going to assume you've not gotten yours yet? You'll see. It's a tinker toy of a press and flexes like crazy even on a 9mm case. Wish you the best of luck. I certainly will not be doing any brass processing on mine after the testing I've done with it. I have much better tools for the job.

Here's a quick video of processing 357. My feeder can't keep up with it. 45 ACP keeps up a little better. This thing flat out flies for sizing.

https://youtu.be/YrKEK9__Nr0

Phlier
01-26-2020, 04:45 PM
I'm going to assume you've not gotten yours yet? You'll see. It's a tinker toy of a press and flexes like crazy even on a 9mm case. Wish you the best of luck. I certainly will not be doing any brass processing on mine after the testing I've done with it. I have much better tools for the job.

Here's a quick video of processing 357. My feeder can't keep up with it. 45 ACP keeps up a little better. This thing flat out flies for sizing.

https://youtu.be/YrKEK9__Nr0

Ah, I see.. darn it, I was hoping it would be useful for brass processing.

Loved your video... looks like you have the nose first adapter working great on your MBF!

rototerrier
01-26-2020, 04:50 PM
Here's a test I just did with 45.

https://youtu.be/RApVzqEGR38

And here's me running it about as fast as I possibly can. It's pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/TIwIdW4O03g

Phlier
01-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Here's a test I just did with 45.

https://youtu.be/RApVzqEGR38

And here's me running it about as fast as I possibly can. It's pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/TIwIdW4O03g

Great videos... thumbs up, and a new subscriber. I also found your video on how you have your MP 9mm mold setup with the sprue plate opposite of the handles. I have that same mold, and am going to go set mine up like that today. Noticed you also were using a Lee Bullet Feeder on an LCT press... did you have to do any modifications in order to get the LBF to work with the LCT? I just got a Lee Bullet Feeder yesterday, and was going to hook it up to my son's Dillon 550 (using a plate I bought off of ePay), but might also use it to size some of the mountain of 9mm's I have waiting to be sized with the APP.

Sorry for the OT stuff, gents, but rototerrier has some pretty darn good YouTube videos. :)

rototerrier
01-26-2020, 05:06 PM
This is all I had to do to make the LBF work on the LCT. Just needed to secure the driving rod to the plastic auto indexing collar. Nothing more. I've sized thousands with it, but this new APP is much better and clearly more reliable. You have to be careful to not go to fast with the LBF as it will sling the bullets from the fingers. No such issues with this need press. It'll handle any speed. I do wish there handle were a little longer. It could use a but more leverage. But I'm super pleased.

Phlier
01-26-2020, 05:14 PM
Really appreciate the information, thanks a ton!

I was hoping that I'd see the APP a bit sooner, so I haven't been sizing any 9mm's lately, and have gotten really behind. Going to have to size a few thousand before the APP shows up. Having the LBF hooked up to the LCT will help a lot.

rototerrier
01-26-2020, 05:23 PM
Really appreciate the information, thanks a ton!

I was hoping that I'd see the APP a bit sooner, so I haven't been sizing any 9mm's lately, and have gotten really behind. Going to have to size a few thousand before the APP shows up. Having the LBF hooked up to the LCT will help a lot.

I may do another casting video soon. I now run 3 molds at once and never stop casting. I've eliminated all down time and can drain that rcbs promelt with the quickness.

Phlier
01-26-2020, 05:35 PM
I may do another casting video soon. I now run 3 molds at once and never stop casting. I've eliminated all down time and can drain that rcbs promelt with the quickness.

Very cool. I'll keep an eye out for it. I now find myself exclusively using the MP mold for all of my 9mm boolits, so I guess I better just go ahead and get another couple of them so I can cast non-stop, too. Since sizing time is going to be greatly reduced with the APP, it makes sense to increase hourly production rate while sitting at the alloy furnace. ;)

Dimner
01-26-2020, 06:17 PM
Just so I'm understanding the very preliminary results... the APP is great at rapidly sizing bullets, but no go when it comes to resizing brass? If so, I may cancel and go a different direction. Or do you think there could be work arounds?

OS OK
01-26-2020, 06:42 PM
Julio has a work around for the shell holder not working on cases with extended primers when de-capping...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAevQrTlX2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhUzu6u2LUc

rototerrier
01-26-2020, 06:49 PM
I decided to try it out so I'm not guessing, and boy did I make a mess of it. Against my better judgement, I decided to go ahead and force it and the base of the case sheered off. Soooo, now I have to deal with that. I knew better! Immediately after I shut this video off I decided to double fist it and force it. It did size and deprime, but then I have to pull like hell and that's when the base sheerd. The shell holder doesn't get hold of enough meat and couldn't handle it. Oh well. I'll let you guys decide, but I'm definitely not trying this again and now I have to go work on getting that stuck case out of my die. Fun Fun Fun

Here's my attempt at sizing 308

https://youtu.be/YMv1KMTGI2g

Also, to be fair, these are lake city and definitely require a bit more effort than other factory brass.

Update: Was able to place the die in the lee classic turret and finagle a normal shell holder onto it and it pulled out no problem. So I'm all good now and learned a little in the process :)

Mollyboy
01-26-2020, 08:38 PM
https://youtu.be/YrKEK9__Nr0 This thing stupid fast

Dimner
01-26-2020, 08:42 PM
Guys I really appreciate your working with this and showing us what it can and cannot do.

Roto.. thanks again for showing us it's limits. Do you think it could size a 223 case? Or even a pstraight necked pistol case?

Dimner
01-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Another quick question....do you guys think it's gonna have enough leverage to swage primer crimps? Seems like that would take just as much ooomph as a resized bottle neck case.