PDA

View Full Version : reloading bench?

HawkCreek
10-29-2019, 09:04 PM
I'll start by saying I've never had room to set up a proper reloading bench but I'm about to move into a larger place so it's finally going to happen! I have an old solid wood corner desk, it's HEAVY and must be moved in pieces. It's been in storage for years and apparently somewhere along the way I lost the brackets to hold it together. If the brackets dont turn up soon I may have to build my own out of angle iron or aluminum. Aluminum would be easier as I dont have a drill press and would be doing everything with a hand drill.

Not my picture but the main body of the desk is similar to this one. Mine is taller with a shelf about 18" above the main desk, equally heavy and sturdy. It also has a light color plastic covering laminated to the top of the desk and shelf which seems like it'd make cleaning up spills a cinch.
https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/07586726/resize-h600%5Ecompr-r85/1436/14366139/Five+Sided+Corner+Desk.jpg

It's roughly 42" along each side but being a corner desk makes it deep but limited it's usable workspace.

So my question is for the time and money should I buy angle and make my own brackets or just build my own bench from scratch? I can see this bench not being ideal as there isn't a long of room left for workspace once the press is mounted, but it's sturdy (it's heavy enough I don't think it'll move even though it wont be wall mounted) and it seems heavy duty enough.

Valornor
10-29-2019, 09:15 PM
I’ve done more with less...if your on a budget I’d use a couple 2x4 as “brackets”. You don’t need a bullet proof bench to reload on. They are nice, but it’s not always needed.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

gnostic
10-29-2019, 09:16 PM
I just bought a bench with a bunch of drawers from Harbor Freight for $150 bucks. I intend to mount my presses on steel plates, having ripped them off the bench in the past.

Rcmaveric
10-29-2019, 09:26 PM
Harbor freight has some goodies I would like to turn into a bench and a casting station.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rcmaveric
10-29-2019, 09:27 PM
My reloading stand.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191030/33367ebf0e14ae22c3a800cdcb7f4e37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-29-2019, 09:41 PM
Top looks too thin.

Winger Ed.
10-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Should work OK.

Back in the old days, I had to hold my single stage press onto the dining room table with 'C' clamps.

Kenstone
10-29-2019, 09:51 PM
I'll start by saying I've never had room to set up a proper reloading bench but I'm about to move into a larger place so it's finally going to happen! I have an old solid wood corner desk, it's HEAVY and must be moved in pieces. It's been in storage for years and apparently somewhere along the way I lost the brackets to hold it together. If the brackets dont turn up soon I may have to build my own out of angle iron or aluminum. Aluminum would be easier as I dont have a drill press and would be doing everything with a hand drill.

Not my picture but the main body of the desk is similar to this one. Mine is taller with a shelf about 18" above the main desk, equally heavy and sturdy. It also has a light color plastic covering laminated to the top of the desk and shelf which seems like it'd make cleaning up spills a cinch.
https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/07586726/resize-h600%5Ecompr-r85/1436/14366139/Five+Sided+Corner+Desk.jpg

It's roughly 42" along each side but being a corner desk makes it deep but limited it's usable workspace.

So my question is for the time and money should I buy angle and make my own brackets or just build my own bench from scratch? I can see this bench not being ideal as there isn't a long of room left for workspace once the press is mounted, but it's sturdy (it's heavy enough I don't think it'll move even though it wont be wall mounted) and it seems heavy duty enough.

There are a lot of ready made brackets used for wood connections and framing.
I would think you could find what you need without having to make anything, all for $20 or less.
Typical brackets:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/wood%2520connectors?NCNI-5

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-2-in-x-8-in-12-Gauge-ZMAX-Galvanized-Medium-L-Angle-ML28Z/308149436
Use construction screw for attaching the brackets...

I think you'd be way further ahead using the desk over building anything from scratch as it sounds like you have limited hand tools.
jmo,
;-)

HawkCreek
10-29-2019, 09:53 PM
Before this I've been using my press mounted to a table with clamps. It works but its a pain to set up and break down when I want to do some loading.

That's not actually a picture of my desk only one that is similar. The one I've got is 2" thick and solid (no pressboard). I removed the slide out keyboard holder from under the desk so there is room to add a few layers of 3/4 play or even 2x stock.

HawkCreek
10-29-2019, 09:59 PM
There are a lot of ready made brackets used for wood connections and framing.
I would think you could find what you need without having to make anything, all for $20 or less.
Typical brackets:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/wood%2520connectors?NCNI-5
Use construction screw for attaching the brackets...

I think you'd be way further ahead using the desk over building anything from scratch as it sounds like you have limited hand tools.
jmo,
;-)

I have plenty of hand tools but no shop tools (like a drill press) unfortunately. I've built several shop work benches but I have no other use for this desk. It's too ugly for anyone to want so I'm sorta stuck with it haha

onelight
10-29-2019, 11:17 PM
the knock down furniture like that in the pic that I have had experience with can barely survive being moved around a room and not break or come apart but would probably be fine to support everything but the press , a press on a portable stand next to it would work for me.
but it would not be difficult or expensive to reinforce that style desk with 2x4s and plywood if appearance is not to important.

Three44s
10-29-2019, 11:29 PM
I would try reinforcing and mounting your press on your intended table. A post arraignment under the press vertical and resting on the floor would help on the down stroke. It will take a bit more ingenuity to keep the press stable for the upstroke of the handle.

Three44s

DiverJay
10-29-2019, 11:49 PM
Not sure what kind of press you intend to mount on that but I would highly recommend the Inline Fabrication Ultramounts as advertised on this site. The will distribute the weight and raise the press to a better working height. Dan makes the Ultramount for just about every press imaginable. I highly recommend them.

RogerDat
10-29-2019, 11:59 PM
Before this I've been using my press mounted to a table with clamps. It works but its a pain to set up and break down when I want to do some loading.

That's not actually a picture of my desk only one that is similar. The one I've got is 2" thick and solid (no pressboard). I removed the slide out keyboard holder from under the desk so there is room to add a few layers of 3/4 play or even 2x stock. Good for people to note your desk isn't the press board one in the picture but just a corner desk with a design like the one pictured.

If I was going to reinforce the top I would do it with wood that is at a 90* angle from the top so it acts as a stiffener. Maybe a piece flat underneath with a stiffener mounted across the back of it. Cut the span of that big top down by providing a stiffening piece part way across it.

Can use wood or angle iron for a stiffener. Old bed frame angle can work but it is hardened so sort of a PITA to cut and drill. Cut off grinder wheel on 4" hand grinder easiest way to cut. It will eat the teeth off a hacksaw. Drilling is a bit of work even though the metal is thin. Cheap metal and doesn't flex.

Really not sure there is a whole lot of flexing going to take place in a 2" top.

Kenstone
10-30-2019, 12:39 AM
I have plenty of hand tools but no shop tools (like a drill press) unfortunately. I've built several shop work benches but I have no other use for this desk. It's too ugly for anyone to want so I'm sorta stuck with it haha
I still think beefing up that desk with either store bought brackets and/or 2x4s/deck screws would be the simplest/cheapest/fastest way to end up with a sturdy reloading bench.
You could then cover-up the ugly with loading equipment :popcorn:
;-)
edit: or something like this HF grinder stand for $26 would be a good start,
https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html

Here's one of mine with a riser/drill press on it:
If you decide on building something, here's 120 pages of ideas:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?12392-Loading-bench-pics

RogerDat
10-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Ok a clean garage AND a clean tool stand? Be afraid be very afraid! Whatever you do don't look at his reloading bench this close to holloween.

A lot of people have snagged those HF tool stands for reloading equipment. I thought about one for the reloading bench but dear wife already thinks I am man spreading to claim ever more of the basement.

kmw1954
10-30-2019, 08:12 PM
Yes, re-purpose that old desk. I have one that comes in handy, it was also an old computer desk. If needed aluminum angle can be bought at Ace Hardware, home Depot, Lowes. My main bench is repurposed kitchen base cabinets with the benchtop made from laminated 3/4" plywood then covered with a pcs. of hardboard.

A member I know on another forum has an old metal tool cabinet with the double swing open doors that he took and also built a bench top to put inside it. When not in use he can close it up and lock it up.

nun2kute
10-30-2019, 08:51 PM
Since you are moving into a new/bigger place, is this desk you are thinking about going to fit the new space ? Would it be worth a little extra effort to construct a larger bench. You will not regret over building your reloading bench, weather you beef the one you have up or build something else. It wont hurt to start out smaller, you'll grow into it no matter.

"If I was going to reinforce the top I would do it with wood that is at a 90* angle from the top so it acts as a stiffener. Maybe a piece flat underneath with a stiffener mounted across the back of it. Cut the span of that big top down by providing a stiffening piece part way across it."

Rogerdat knows how, even 2" particle board will need some kind of reinforcement IMO. Whatever you do, post a pic in the Reloading Bench Picture Sticky so we can see

country gent
10-30-2019, 10:16 PM
I would use that desk using 2X4s in the corners including legs in the corners. Screwed and glued in place the desk will be very solid. 1 or 2 2x4s spaced evenly under the top and tied in to the frame again glued and screwed in place. This would make the desk capable of holding a lot of weight and or force. The frame cut and fitted inside would greatly strengthen it

poppy42
10-30-2019, 10:36 PM
A lot depends on what you reloading if you’re doing strictly pistol calibers should be fine you get into larger rifle calibers or sizing a lot of cast bullets that takes a little bit more force you could have a stability problem . I live in an apartment and I built my own bench out of four by fours two by fours and three-quarter inch plywood it probably weighs 200 pounds empty ( I have shelves underneath for storage which is where I typically store my dies my presses my sizers etc. ). I can tell you I have zero problems loading most of the calipers I load for but there have been times when I am resizing larger bullets cast from the harder our way that the bench does move. Ever so slightly. So the short answer to your question of will it work . Probably . But I would definitely think about adding some weight for stability. Possibly some cement blocks on the lower shelves .

Slugster
10-30-2019, 10:59 PM
Hey, that garage looks just like mine, except for the 6 tons of machine tools and all of the other stuff I'm going to use someday.

kevin c
10-31-2019, 05:39 AM
Will it be a dedicated reloading bench, or multipurpose (say, also used for gun cleaning, case cleaning/processing or other projects)? I leave my press mounted, along with a CasePro roll sizer, on a 54" bench I built to fit in the townhouse I lived in at the time. There's barely enough room at one end for small projects. Six feet or more of usable linear space, preferably with open ends, would be what I'd want next time around. That or multiple benches, one your or my size dedicated to the reloading press, and others, including a longer one, for other tasks. Mounting the press only when it's to be used is another option, but I dislike spending the set up and breakdown time doing something "nonproductive".

Baltimoreed
10-31-2019, 07:41 PM
Habitat stores are good places to look for material. Think outside the box, my reloading bench tops are office cubicle desks cut down and bolted to my 2x4 framing that’s lag bolted to the wall studs. Long deck screws and 3/8 bolts and nuts hold everything together.

44magLeo
10-31-2019, 08:11 PM
I'm with those that recommend getting brackets already drilled.
Once you get your corner desk assembled and in place you will soon find out if it needs reinforcement.
You can also add a few extra brackets underneath to attach to the wall to help stabilize it.
Adding more bench top off one or both ends as time goes by won't be hard to do.
Ask around at places that do bathroom and kitchen remodels. You mat find a good deal on a used counter and cabinets.
A lot of folks use Tee nuts in their benches. That way you can swap tools around as needed.
I have my main press mounted permanently. My other press and tooling is mounted on hard wood boards so I can put them where I need them.
Some I clamp in place others just set there.
Leo

Kenstone
10-31-2019, 08:28 PM
I'm with those that recommend getting brackets already drilled.
Once you get your corner desk assembled and in place you will soon find out if it needs reinforcement.
You can also add a few extra brackets underneath to attach to the wall to help stabilize it.
Adding more bench top off one or both ends as time goes by won't be hard to do.
Ask around at places that do bathroom and kitchen remodels. You mat find a good deal on a used counter and cabinets.
A lot of folks use Tee nuts in their benches. That way you can swap tools around as needed.
I have my main press mounted permanently. My other press and tooling is mounted on hard wood boards so I can put them where I need them.
Some I clamp in place others just set there.
Leo
Yep a hardwood "plate" under every press/tool with a with a standardized bolt pattern for the under-benchtop T-nuts would allow every press/tool to be swapped out onto the same place on the "bench".
It's what I did, except I used steel plates:
And attaching the bench(desk) to the wall can be as simple as an angle bracket screwed to the bench top and a wall stud.
The small one is what I used, the BIG one is pictured for those who overbuild their benches :kidding:
:D

PowPow
10-31-2019, 08:32 PM
I got this bench from Harbor Freight a few years ago and bolted it (8 fasteners on each side) into my basement wall cinder blocks. Solid.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/workbenches/48-in-workbench-with-light-60723.html

The built-in pegboard, lower shelf, light, and power strip are bonuses. I put drawer organizers into the two drawers. I don't think you can get much better than this for the price. It often goes on sale like most other things at HF.

GWS
10-31-2019, 09:12 PM
I design/build buildings for a living. I was asked once to design a bench that could be built easily, cheaply, and fast yet be near immovable strong. I came up with the torsion beam idea below.....liked it well enough that mine was rebuilt to copy it....and enhanced with some drawers.

If such interests you, you can download the plans here:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?resources/inexpensive-no-flex-bench-how-to.6/

onelight
11-01-2019, 08:58 PM
I design/build buildings for a living. I was asked once to design a bench that could be built easily, cheaply, and fast yet be near immovable strong. I came up with the torsion beam idea below.....liked it well enough that mine was rebuilt to copy it....and enhanced with some drawers.

If such interests you, you can download the plans here:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?resources/inexpensive-no-flex-bench-how-to.6/
very nice and simple design, great job !

1hole
11-02-2019, 08:52 PM
A good loading bench is perhaps the MOST important "tool" any of us can have. The top should be large enough to allow work without cramped work.

Ideally, the top should be high enough to allow the user to stand and fully depress his lever without having to bend down at the waist; his back will thank him! (Use a swiveling bar stool for working while sitting, check thrift shops to find a cheep one)

A bench top need be no more than 3/4" plywood but any bench needs a sturdy under structure directly under the press. A common 2"x4" leg gives all the compression strength that's needed. I like to use knee braces that leave plenty of foot/leg room under the press.

The suggested Lowe's/H'Depot steel connecting plates sold for house framing are moderately inexpensive and are more than strong enough for our bench needs. And use common "dry wall" screws instead of nails to affix the plates (and legs, and everything else).

RogerDat
11-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Mine is 2x4 framing with a half depth shelf on the bottom that stiffens the legs and has a lot of lead bullets on it. This helps keep the bench "solid". Reforming 30-06 brass to 8mm mauser brass can cause it to shake a bit. Not enough to bring down stuff from the pegboard but get it rattling a bit.

Any bottom shelf it can be useful to have it high enough for 30 caliber ammo cans to fit under. Storage for cast bullets or completed ammo.

Rich/WIS
11-03-2019, 09:53 AM
My first reloading bench was an office desk, old style heavy wood construction. It was painted orange but when stripped looks reddish in color, almost like cherry or mahogany. Worked well with a Lyman Spartan press and a 450 since both had the same hole spacing and all I had to do was unbolt one and switch. Later got two of the newer type office desks with heavy formica covered tops that sit on metal drawer units. You might try office supply/used furniture stores and see if they have something that meets your needs. The original desk is just used as a desk now in my reloading room and except for the two 3/8 holes would pass muster in a home office.

Wayne Smith
11-03-2019, 10:02 AM
If yours has a 2" thick desk top and the rest is equally strongly build just put it together - even using pieces of 2x4 as screw/glue blocks. I would space things so I had the opportunity to add bench space to one side or the other because you will need more space.

mf79
07-11-2020, 02:09 PM

Scrounge
07-11-2020, 06:18 PM

That's not actually a picture of my desk only one that is similar. The one I've got is 2" thick and solid (no pressboard). I removed the slide out keyboard holder from under the desk so there is room to add a few layers of 3/4 play or even 2x stock.

Could work, then. I had one similar to the one in your photo, and it was all pressed wood with KD fasteners. Ameriwood brand. Only about 3/4" thickness, though. It was not strong enough for my computer, not to mention a reloading press. I'd suggest 2x4's, glue, and at least 3" sheetrock screws or something similar. One of the quick-change setups, or a T-slotted cutout and plate would be nice. Something like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fb/3d/18/fb3d187128257ae6468465e99e2d65de--reloading-ammo-reloading-bench.jpg

Bill

Tweetyj
07-11-2020, 08:54 PM
http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/bench/

onelight
07-11-2020, 11:41 PM
That is a compact setup . Very handy in for certain situations.

Lloyd Smale
07-12-2020, 08:11 AM
264728264729 I use these I got from lowes the tops were only partical board so I bolted 3/4 in plywood to the top and used one long piece to tie the two benches together. Ive got one more I use for casting I put cermamic floor tile on top of the plywood. There actually very sturdy with the plywood on top and there reasonably priced.

tankgunner59
07-15-2020, 10:39 PM
You can buy steel corner brackets at the local home store pretty inexpensive.

onelight
07-15-2020, 11:15 PM
264728264729 I use these I got from lowes the tops were only partical board so I bolted 3/4 in plywood to the top and used one long piece to tie the two benches together. Ive got one more I use for casting I put cermamic floor tile on top of the plywood. There actually very sturdy with the plywood on top and there reasonably priced.
I could spend a day in there and have every case I own filled !
Nice setup.

chuck40219
07-18-2020, 09:38 PM

Has anyone here used anything like this? We just moved and I am still working setting up the garage and need to save some space compared to my old setup.

I reload 38, 357, 44 mag., 223, 30-30, and 45-70. no heavy duty resizing or case forming. I don't even resize my rifle cases, they are all single shot guns.

I was wondering about the stress that loading would have on the wall.

New patio home, hate to have the wife come out to the garage and tell me the sheet-rock just fell off the wall in her TV room.

chuck40219

454redhawk
07-18-2020, 10:54 PM

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

onelight
07-18-2020, 11:00 PM
If you are concerned go ahead and run the sides down to the floor to transfer part of the load to the floor ( will need to notch the back for base board )
But if your home is standard 16" on center wood studs if should be fine if you are concerned it could possibly be widened to add the support of another wall stud .

jsizemore
07-20-2020, 12:27 AM

You could buy sloted angle or use a 2x4 with construction adhesive and decking screws at inside joints. If it bounces or tips, I'd drill through the desk panels into wall studs.

07-20-2020, 08:53 AM
Lots of good table top to ground support (4x4's) and lag bolts into the wall studs for the back vertical would be my suggestion.

farmbif
07-20-2020, 09:36 AM
I made a press stand with an aluminum I beam, mig welded flat plates to each end and used 4 concrete lag screw to bolt it to floor. I always wanted one of those benches that 454redhawk posted, I think it is ideal if you have the space, but I'm I'm no cabinet maker.

shooterg
07-20-2020, 12:17 PM
If the OP's desk is actually all 2" for-real wood, it ain't gonna need much else ! Go to closest construction site and get some 2x4 scrap out of the dumpster for brackets , buy some screws, sounds like you may have a drilldriver, you're good. But you are now required to show us a pic ! Or it didn't happen !!

poppy42
07-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Funny I built my custom bench a few years back. Apartment sized. Used 4 x 4‘s for legs in bracing double Up two by fours made it extra strong. Are use peanuts to attach all my equipment for easy on easy off. At the time I built it thought it was Plenty big enough!! Now two years later and a couple additional presses, powder measures, bench primers, and other miscellaneous equipment! Big enough now? not so much! My wife says I’m like a yeast roll My stuff keeps growing!!!!!!Personally I think the bench must’ve got wet and shrunk or something!!! LOL oh well. I guess it’s time to design and build a bigger bench! I just got a build it and sneak it in when wife’s not around. Either that or I’ll be moving my stuff and me outside to little 8 x 10 plastic storage shed! Don’t want to have to do that cause that thing gets mighty hot in the summer and mighty cold in the winter! Ha ha ha

David2011
07-21-2020, 05:47 PM
I’m in the “use wood for the brackets” corner. That said, if you’re having trouble drilling steel with a hand drill your bit is dull. Replace it.

onelight
07-21-2020, 06:24 PM
If you let the top hang over the back 11/2 " you can screw a 2X4 the length of the bench on the bottom of the top and get the bench where you want it and screw the 2X4 to the studs in the wall . If it's in the a corner do bothe walls if you have enough depth on the bench to hit 2 wall studs deck screws are good enough here.
To keep it from racking just screw a pice of ply on the end . If the legs are set back 4" from the edge of the top you can add shelves or hang tools on the ply that ties the legs together

Scrounge
07-21-2020, 06:31 PM
I’m in the “use wood for the brackets” corner. That said, if you’re having trouble drilling steel with a hand drill your bit is dull. Replace it.

Or learn to sharpen it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qze0GyBxBRY This ain't the way I learned it in class, but it obviously works. You can do something similar with a pin vise and tiny drills on a diamond hone or classic sharpening stone.

CLAYPOOL
07-21-2020, 07:58 PM
I have one of those benches shown . You can send for the plans. I hired mine built several years ago because i am a DUCK BLIND GRADE CARPENTER...They are very nice..

CLAYPOOL
07-21-2020, 08:02 PM
My top is NOT secured to the bottom half. Never had a problem. BUT.....i am in the process of building a really heavy steel bar stool type of seat..

Zingger
07-22-2020, 08:34 AM
A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy an old NRMA-pattern and love it. Because it is my nature, I built my own for a bit more than I bought the original for, and didn't put the sliding doors on it. If you can read a tape, cut and have the basic tools it is a fairly straight-forward plan for a bench that will be a lifetime investment. There is a vintage RC and an RS on mine, as well as every accessory needed/wanted for basic reloading.
I had built multiple other benches in the 10 years I have been reloading seriously. Notched corners to fit better and have stronger joints, but none of them has a chance as compared to that NRMA pattern.

1hole
07-22-2020, 09:19 AM
I have made four loading benches for myself and helped make four others. To determine the best size for a serious shooter, I've concluded a new bench should be as big as you'll need and double it, OR as big as you have room for. I've never heard anyone say, "I wish my bench was a just a little bit smaller!"

Bench legs of 2x4s are more than sufficient; 4x4s sure aren't needed so they're just a costly waste. Install a couple of sturdy storage shelves under the top for assorted "stuff" and you probably won't even need to affix the legs to the floor.

country gent
07-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Last bench I built was extra heavy for in the shop. It has a butcher block style top of 2 X 4s and 2 X 8s 8' long. The top is 2 2x 4s 1 2 x 8, 3 2 x4s. a 2x8 3 2 x4s a 2 x 8 3 2 x4s a 2 x 8. 3 2 x 4s a 2 x 8 and 2 2x4s glued doweled and pinned together. the 08634 2 s24s of 2 x 8s make the sockets for the legs. Legs are 3 2 X 6 notched for the cross braces and glued a wedge to tighten joint then doweled long braves are 2 x 6s short are 2 x4s. end plates for bench top are 2 x 8s. No nails or screws used in construction of it. only bolts are the 3 holding the vise on. Bench top is 3 1/2" thick with 5 8" stiffening ribs. 3/4" dowels used to hold and 5/16" on edges of 3/4 dowels to lock them. this bench weighs just over 500lbs not wiggle wobble or shake when set and leveled 1 shelf on the cross braces. very heavy solid bench

-D-
07-24-2020, 01:51 PM

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

I built one of these 20 years ago. Probably have $300 into it. Very sturdy and customizable. Almost big enough for all my growing equipment and component pile. You'll expand to fill the space you have.

onelight
07-24-2020, 02:07 PM
I have made four loading benches for myself and helped make four others. To determine the best size for a serious shooter, I've concluded a new bench should be as big as you'll need and double it, OR as big as you have room for. I've never heard anyone say, "I wish my bench was a just a little bit smaller!"

Bench legs of 2x4s are more than sufficient; 4x4s sure aren't needed so they're just a costly waste. Install a couple of sturdy storage shelves under the top for assorted "stuff" and you probably won't even need to affix the legs to the floor.
You are absolutely right for about 95% of us.....but we do have guys here that break cast iron presses and in general stress things a bit more than average :-D

1hole
07-24-2020, 08:47 PM
You are absolutely right for about 95% of us.....but we do have guys here that break cast iron presses and in general stress things a bit more than average :-D

Well, there is that; I suspect some folk can destroy an anvil with a spoon.

Seems every time someone makes a "fool proof" device a more capable fool comes along and ... poof! I've seen web photos of snapped top straps on Rock Chuckers; that takes some exceptional talent for destruction!

country gent
07-25-2020, 12:51 PM
I have said this for years, Nothing is fool proof the fools will always find a way. LOL. Nothing is more frustrating than a bench that wiggles shimmies or gives when working on it. I enjoy making things and building so I still do my wood working with out nails or screws. Dowels mortise and tenon joints dovetail joints and tapered take up pins Just like the old barns and furniture. :) More work but also more interesting to build.

The last bench required a little over 400 3/4" holes to be drilled on location. A Long with 1/2" holes and 5/16" lock pin holes. Much more work and time but also more satisfying when done. Im going to use it as is to clean up the machine tooling and things then plane the top flat and true. a few coats of oil and its done.

David2011
07-25-2020, 05:34 PM
Or learn to sharpen it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qze0GyBxBRY This ain't the way I learned it in class, but it obviously works. You can do something similar with a pin vise and tiny drills on a diamond hone or classic sharpening stone.

That’s different from the way I learned as well but it looks like it works. Thanks for posting. I also have a Drill Doctor but not sure that it works better than a good hand sharpening. It’s probably better with small bits that are harder to hand sharpen. I just recommended replacement because it sounded like the OP might not have a lot of tools.

sghart3578
07-25-2020, 09:40 PM
I went the cheap route. I spent $10 on Craigslist for a solid core door that someone was getting rid of after a remodel. Some 4x4's from behind my shed for legs.

It holds two progressives presses and a cast iron single stage press. It also doubles as my casting table, gun cleaning table and what ever else I need it to do.

Steve in N CA

onelight
07-25-2020, 10:04 PM
I went the cheap route. I spent $10 on Craigslist for a solid core door that someone was getting rid of after a remodel. Some 4x4's from behind my shed for legs.

It holds two progressives presses and a cast iron single stage press. It also doubles as my casting table, gun cleaning table and what ever else I need it to do.

Steve in N CA
That is what my bench top is to. A scratched door from a house I built . They make a good bench top.

LAKEMASTER
07-26-2020, 01:26 AM
I just turned my boat upholstery table into a reloading table. I have too many hobbies to make anything permanent.

So my table is 4"x11" ( if I count the sewing machine table. And I pulled the table away from the wall so you can access all surface area of the 4x8 plywood top.

The frame started life as a rolling stand for cutting stone countertops

LAKEMASTER
07-26-2020, 01:38 AM
I have $20 invested in the white paint I used for the table top and $12 in the grey primer for the steel frame...

There's a small fortune in steel and casters on this table, I got it for free, it was left abandoned at a neighbors house

onelight
07-26-2020, 02:53 AM
I have $20 invested in the white paint I used for the table top and $12 in the grey primer for the steel frame...

There's a small fortune in steel and casters on this table, I got it for free, it was left abandoned at a neighbors house
That is a nice bench . Good job !

murf205
07-29-2020, 04:04 PM
If the desk doesn't work out for you, and I think that it may, here is a pic of my bench that was easy to make and cheap too. As you can see, I used 4x4 legs and belted it with 2x8's. If you look closely, you can see the top has 2x4's running front to back and a piece of 3/4" smooth plywood on top of that. It is super sturdy and has worked for me just fine since I built it in 1978. My friend that helped me move it in 1986 said "never again".