PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Homemade Sand Bags Needed

alamogunr
10-28-2019, 01:44 PM
I'm getting ready to dispose of several pairs of denim jeans that became surplus when I lost weight. I've been thinking that cutting the legs off and having them made into sandbags would be a good use. I've occasionally seen posts of others doing this but I'm hopeless with the search function here. Also, I'll have to find someone that can sew up several for me. I don't sew and neither does my wife.

Any suggestions how to go about this or what size, features(zipper?), etc would be appreciated.

Winger Ed.
10-28-2019, 01:50 PM
It'll work, but you'll want some inner plastic, vinyl, rubber coating inside, or something
to keep them from having porous leakage of sand through the weave of the cloth.

I've made them before out of left over cloth from doing upholstery work with vinyl.
I sewed the sides, bottom, and about 3/4 of the top on a machine.

Then fill the bag, and sew it shut on the last bit by hand.
If loose sand gets down in the sewing machine, nothing good will come of it.

The public range I used to go to had sand bags made from the canvas bags shot comes in.
Size & all was about perfect.

They used some sort of sand that had a real coarse grain,
but wasn't quite gravel and didn't sift out through the bag..

Valornor
10-28-2019, 01:54 PM
The denim is the way to go, and it’s cheap to pick up a needle and thread. I doubt I could explain how to sew, I can barely do it myself. However I fill my sand bag to my desired level of fill and then see it closed.

I’ll also put the sand in a thin bag before putting it in the denim sack. That helps to seal it and keep it from leaking out, or from creating dust when you plop it down on the bench. It also helps “water proof” it from when your kid accidentally leaves it outside in the rain.

Old socks also make nice little mini bags, that can be useful when you don’t want to carry a big bag around but would like something to help cradle the front end of the rifle.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

lefty o
10-28-2019, 02:11 PM
old pants legs are cheap, and work. one word of advice, if you have revolvers dont rest the frame right on the bag, the cylinder blast will put holes in them very quickly.

GBertolet
10-28-2019, 02:33 PM
I have had good luck using plastic zip ties to close the end of a sand filled shot bag. It should work as well on cut off denim jean legs.

curator
10-28-2019, 02:58 PM
+1 on plastic bag liners for "sand-bags". I don't use sand instead buy rice when on sale (WalMart?) which works as well and is much lighter. A friend buys plastic "bead" stuffing that is used for manufacturing stuffed animals and beanie babies. If you absolutely can't sew (!?) it is possible to use fabric glue or to tie of the ends with string.

Omega
10-28-2019, 03:16 PM
I'd use rice or beans, then sew a basic overstitch which is the easiest hand stitch.https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gmD9vpo5Fso/maxresdefault.jpgplace the sand, rice or beans in an interior bag double over the end, then overstitch. Turn the jean leg inside out, do the same thing to one end, then reinvert it, place the inner bag in, sewn end first. Sew the open end closed in the same manner.

bob208
10-28-2019, 03:18 PM
I made up mine out of shot bags. but paint legs do work. I lined mine with plastic bags and used cat litter instead of sand.

when you cut the legs off save the other part sew the leg hoes shut put on a carry strap. sell them cot shopping bags.

EMC45
10-28-2019, 03:50 PM
I have one made from a denim pants leg that has been around for over 10 years and no leakage. I used masonry sand for it.

Drm50
10-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Most of mine are shot bags but I've got a few made from pants legs. We put common play sand into the plastic bag a loaf of bread comes in. This is just to keep sand contained while sewing. Wife sews acoss them double stich, then folds it back over itself and stitches again.

Petrol & Powder
10-28-2019, 05:51 PM
I have had good luck using plastic zip ties to close the end of a sand filled shot bag. It should work as well on cut off denim jean legs.
Speaking from experience I can say, "Yes, zip ties work just fine for that job". I can also say that simply placing a plastic trash bag inside the cut off blue jean leg makes a fine liner to hold the sand inside.

The best part of those types of sand bags is they are essentially disposable. They cost nearly zero to make and if you get a hole in one or leave it at a range, you've lost nothing. You can also make them to just about any size needed.

shortlegs
10-28-2019, 06:39 PM
I have used aquarium gravel and like that it doesnt leak out like sand.

Beerd
10-28-2019, 07:32 PM
I made mine with sawdust inside plastic bread sacks stuffed into bluejean legs.

A couple of replies up I read "used cat litter". Had to go back and read that one closer.

Wolfer
10-28-2019, 07:37 PM
Ive done all of the above with good results all around. Ive even used whole feed corn. For some to leave at the range I’ve cut a section of inner tube, folded one end and clamped with hog rings. The kind they used to put seat covers on with. We actually used them on the hogs but they have many uses. Put in desired amount of sand and repeat.

Ive also used hog rings on denim jean legs but generally just sew them up by hand.

Slugster
10-28-2019, 07:47 PM
+1 on aquarium gravel.

alamogunr
10-28-2019, 07:47 PM
Post #7(Thanks Omega) reminded me that I have a spool of polyester .050 thread and needles to go with it. I think that I can at least sew one end and use a zip tie, which I have a supply of, on the other end. Plastic bags inside the jean legs sounds like a good idea too. I doubt that I'll be using them for 10 years though.

Thanks for all the tips.

JBinMN
10-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Well I was gonna offer something, and I still will for just a lil bit to think on, but it seems you have it covered...

I have used the "wire ties" that have the loops in the end & are twisted with a tool you spin around, as well as the wire we use in a spool & twist with a linesman pliers or the like, ( "safety wire pliers if ya have them work well too.) for tying rebar together, but if ya don't have such things, the zip ties sound like the easiest for ya. +10 on the use of some sort of plastic bag, but try to use something that is more than a few "mils" thick, or I think you will be disappointed.

I usually turn the pants legs inside out for the first 'Knot"/"tie off" & then stick a couple bread bags or something thinker in side after I have turned the pants legs back to right side out, fill & then seal the ends leaving a little "slack" of the fill. I think that little bit of "slack" inside helps them stack better & keeps them from splitting.

Anyway, Sound like ya have things under control & G'Luck! in the doins!
:)

CLAYPOOL
10-28-2019, 08:05 PM
I was reading some where while thinking about building some more. Suggested to use those beads that Air Soft shooters use...

txbirdman
10-28-2019, 08:41 PM
I make denim sand bags just like most here with sand or rice inside a plastic bag stuffed into the denim. I use to use zip ties but I didn’t like the long tails and if I cut them off the sharp ends were always poking my hands or arms. So I bought a bag of scrap leather strings and tie the ends with that after wrapping it around a couple of times. Seems like there’s always something else those scrap strings are good for such as holster hammer loops. I even drilled a hole in the end of my cross sticks and made a leather loop to go over my shoulder to make them easier to carry.

lead-1
10-29-2019, 03:24 AM
I made mine from shot bags filled with plastic beads that were for injection molding. I would get floor sweepings by the bucket, once they hit the floor they had dirt and other color beads mixed in so they were tossed. Too bad I don't have a couple drums of them to donate to fellow shooters.
Good weight to them and water doesn't affect them.

BigEyeBob
10-29-2019, 06:34 AM
I'm getting ready to dispose of several pairs of denim jeans that became surplus when I lost weight. I've been thinking that cutting the legs off and having them made into sandbags would be a good use. I've occasionally seen posts of others doing this but I'm hopeless with the search function here. Also, I'll have to find someone that can sew up several for me. I don't sew and neither does my wife.

Any suggestions how to go about this or what size, features(zipper?), etc would be appreciated.

I use vermiculite in my rest bags ,its very light wieght and doesn't crumble (it comes in a crumble form already )or create dust .Its used as an insulation medium and Iv seen it used as a packing material for aircraft parts .The foam beads used in bean furniture also works but with flatten out with time .

10-29-2019, 09:16 AM
BigEyeBob beat me to it. vermiculite or cat litter as a stuffing for shot bags or pant legs. Seal 'em up in a sturdy plastic to prevent dust on the bench.

elk hunter
10-29-2019, 10:03 AM
I use shot bags filled with crushed walnut shell, the kind used in sand blasters and brass tumblers. Light weight and cleaner than sand.

KCSO
10-29-2019, 10:19 AM
I fill mine with soy beans, during harvest you can find spilled beans at about every intersection. Works well lighter and if you get stranded at the range you can eat them.

Rapidrob
10-29-2019, 10:33 AM
I use shredded car tires from Home Depot gardening dept. Light weight, never seeps out of the bag and indestructible. If the bag gets oily/greasy it can be washed. I do use old shot bags but any tough bag can bee used as mentioned.
The shredded car tires are so tough I use it in my bullet trap to tear the fired bullet to shreds and the tires work 100%.
The steel belt cords have been removed so no hand punctures.

fiberoptik
10-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Dog food bags. Cat litter bags. Made of same stuff as tarps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conditor22
10-29-2019, 01:08 PM
I buy cheap nylons at the dollar tree (to contain the small pieces) and use plastic beads/BB's/chips .... then put the filled nylons in old socks (I have big feet :))

skeettx
10-29-2019, 06:43 PM
Use bank bags from your credit union or bank.
Get some wheat from the local co-op
Put plastic zip lock bags in the bank bags
Add wheat to desired amount.
Zip lock, and zipper
DONE

Mike

richhodg66
10-29-2019, 07:36 PM
My Dad made a set he sewed pieces of suede and filled with spent primers.

country gent
10-29-2019, 07:39 PM
One thing to do is if your using bread sack or bag liner is to fill it first and seal the end down with strong tape. I use the clear book binding / packaging tapes 2" wide. This will secure the media in the bags and seal them better from moisture. Then slide into the pants leg bags and stitch the bags ends closed. One method that hasnt been mentioned is using fabric glue to glue the ends closed glue legs end together for 2-3" wide section coat with glue and fold over 2-3 times. Makes a nice seam and should hold seal well. I have done this then stitched thru the glued seam for added strength.

Minerat
10-29-2019, 10:27 PM
I use squeegee (pea gravel) in old jean legs and use 30# braid fishing line to stitch them shut. Fill the section of leg about 2\3's full before stitching them.

P Flados
10-29-2019, 11:09 PM
Long ago, I bought a big bag of ground walnut shells (sold as litter in pet stores) for a tumbler. I don't use the tumbler any more, but I found that the ground walnut shells makes a great inert, dust free, medium weight shooting bag filler.

uscra112
10-29-2019, 11:12 PM
If you use cat litter, don't let it get wet. It will soon turn to mud.

Alferd Packer
10-31-2019, 05:35 AM
To avoid leaving a sharp end on nylon tie wraps, don't cut them.
After cinching a tie wrap down tight, grip the tie tail end wise with pliers up tight next to the locking collar and twist the tail in one direction, never letting go till it twists right off.
This usually results in a smooth wisp of a tail left with no sharp edge to gouge you.

tdoor4570
10-31-2019, 09:02 AM
denim jean legs+ plastic bags +sand or sawdust. cut off legs, flip inside out, sew one end closed , almost sew the other end closed flip back right side out , insert plastic bag fill with sand or sawdust tie off plastic bag and sew up remaning hole, made mine about 20 years ago and still going strong.

murf205
10-31-2019, 12:20 PM
I found some 25lb empty shot bags on ebay for a couple bucks apiece and used play sand in mine. Sew it like Omega's pic and then go find a raw piece of leather to lay over the bags when you are shooting handguns, especially revolvers. I tried rice but nothing stays put like play sand in a bag, for me anyway. I had an old welding jacket to cut up for my leather but check with a thrift store for a leather jacket. A revolver will split the cloth bag pretty quick, whether it is a pants leg or a shot bag without the leather protection. Magnum revolvers will also wreck the paint on the hood of a Ford Bronco!!

Mr_Sheesh
11-01-2019, 03:55 AM
A sneaky trick for your shot bags or pant legs to water proof them, is the 'SilNylon' trick;

DIY Tent and Hammock makers use this for their tent / hammock flys.

You dissolve a fair bit of Silicone Caulk in Mineral Spirits and soak the cloth in that. Then let it dry. (It can drip etc. so I wouldn't suggest doing this on SWMBO's favorite couch or anything like that, outside would be wiser.)

You can treat ripstop nylon with it, but I'd think any cloth would become more waterproof with this treatment, a very loosely woven cloth might require several coatings or very thick coatings (haven't tried that yet.)

Czech_too
11-01-2019, 04:46 AM
For those bags I've made, I used a lighter medium than sand such as crushed walnut. Sewing isn't something I'm adept at so I opt to use a hot glue gun on all the seams.

mjwcaster
11-03-2019, 04:21 PM
I have only made a few from jeans, need to make more.

Be sure not to fill them too much, more is not better.
Some of mine are more like bricks than sand bags.

And thanks for the tip on beans/corn.
I might have to throw a dust pan and bucket in the car, the elevator is only a few blocks away and all that spilled grain needs to be cleaned up.

I want to use something other than sand this time, any thing lighter would be nice.

I do have a bag of beans still in the plastic grocery bag that I have used for a few years as a top bag since my sand bags are mostly too full.

Meant to use it in jeans, just never got around to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac118
11-08-2019, 12:53 PM
++ for beans. Made one using denim pant leg and dried pinto beans. No liner needed, good weight and allows a rifle fore end to nestle right in.

Green Frog
11-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Plus 1 on the little plastic spheres (regardless of source.) While they may cost a bit more than robbing sand from the kids’ sand box out back, the leakage factor is eliminated, and getting the bag wet doesn’t matter... it will dry. Also the bag will shape nicely under your gun, it weighs much less, etc, etc. :D

I use “official” sand filled leather bags for formal matches where they are required, but they are much more expensive and don’t do well with getting wet! :groner:

Froggie

wnc435
11-20-2019, 10:48 PM
Have to start posting somewhere so here is my sand bag concoction I used shot bags and filled them with the colored gravel from the fish tank. Dried of course then sprayed the bags with camp dry silicone.

Jjed
11-24-2019, 11:48 AM
If you know anyone who works in a hospital and has access to empty IV bags. ( they through them away) they make great sand bags. this one I made 25 years ago and it has held up well. I don't leave it in the sun light. I put two small nails into the edge of my work bench to hang the bag from and used a small funnel to fill it with sand, took some time. i would fill the funnel with sand then work on something else, coming back from time to time to refill the funnel. then fill the tube with caulking.251730

RedHawk357Mag
01-27-2020, 12:13 PM
What I do, legs of old denim jeans, bag of kid play sand, Paracord. Turn legs of denim inside out, cut denim at approximately Daisey Duke level. Roll cuff tightly length wise, tie a Constrictor knot next to pant leg cuff. Constrictor knot is a variation of the Clove Hitch, You Tube it. Turn pant leg back out to the right side with knot inside bag. Fill pant leg bag with your desired level of sand for your application. Tighten to your desired level of firmness, tie second Constrictor knot leaving tails some what long for adjustment at later dates. Firm bags are always firm, loose bags are adjustable firmness. Bags should probably be stored in a Lowe's bucket with lid when not in use due to spiders and scorpions absolute admiration for the perfect nest. Buckets keep bags clean, and dry reducing rot of material as well as your vehicle while transporting. Also it's possible to double the material thickness if your bags if pant legs are long enough and fill is small enough. If left outside in elements bags will last only a few months if exposed to direct sunlight. Also will become homes for stinging variety of bugs. Friends will also find ways to cut bags with muzzle blast or barrel cylinder gap location. Just rebag with another pant leg.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

375RUGER
01-28-2020, 11:58 PM
I've been using the legs of my worn out jeans and carhartts for a long time. I don't remember when I made my first denim sandbag. Instead of sand though, I've switched to popcorn. Yeees, unpopped. Those dollar stores where everything is a buck, is a cheap source sometimes.
good thing about denim jean legs, you can make them into custom shapes like "store bought" bags.

Walks
01-29-2020, 12:13 AM
Shot bags, filled with cat litter and sewn closed with harness thread. I sharpened the needles on a grinder.
They are a Lot lighter then the sand filled ones My Dad made me lug around when I was a Kid.
Leather sleeve to slip over top bag for Revolver use.

GregLaROCHE
01-29-2020, 12:42 AM
My club has several made from canvas(not very thick) with three sides sewn. The fourth is tied with wire or cord. Within six months they are leaking from the closure and fines are coming through the fabric. Hi hate getting that stuff on my guns. The idea of a plastic bag inside makes a lot of sense and I think they should be sewn shut too.

alamogunr
01-29-2020, 01:29 AM
I love all the suggestions. The ones about using plastic bread bags inside really struck a chord. I only eat whole wheat bread and the local grocery stocks a whole wheat loaf that has a particularly heavy bag compared to other brands. I've save up several and may double them.

Also liked the suggestion to use either soy beans or pop corn. I missed the soybean harvest so going for the popcorn. I'm curious about the longevity of the popcorn. Also liked the suggestions on methods to close the bags. I think a combination of sealing with hot glue and sewing should work well for one end and the other end secured with plastic zip ties. Would make it easy to open and adjust filling.

GregLaROCHE
01-29-2020, 01:50 AM
I think something like aquarium gravel would be more stable than popcorn.

alamogunr
01-29-2020, 09:38 AM
We'll see.

Herb in Pa
01-29-2020, 11:19 AM
I use shot bags filled with crushed walnut shell, the kind used in sand blasters and brass tumblers. Light weight and cleaner than sand.

Go to the pet store and get Lizard Litter, it's made from finely crushed walnut shells and a lot cheaper then the tumbling media. It's also great in the tumbler as the size of the crushed material won't get stuck in the cartridge flash holes.

country gent
01-29-2020, 11:31 AM
Popcorn soybeans wheat and other Grains / seeds if not "killed" first may sprout if the bags get wet. I have seen macaroni used but when they got wet the macaroni swelled and burst the bag.

When we put the bread bags in we filled then pulled the bag down rolled the top of the bread bag and taped ( the wide clear book binding tape works good here) it to seal, Plastic may not seal around the thread and leak. we then sewed the bags shut with a fine monofiliment fishing line.

40-82 hiker
01-29-2020, 11:47 AM
Going back into the late 60s I always made my "sand bags" with shot bags and pinto beans or other dried beans as I had on hand or bought outright for the "sand bags". They were handy at the range and to take into the field shooting gophers, marmots, and prairie dogs, as they were very light. Just took one so I could pad my rifle on a rock, etc.

sniper
01-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Regular size jeans legs, what ever they may be...Men's, women's kids' double stitch the bottom, then 3/4 of the top. Get some Kitty Litter..non-clumping, and it is lighter, fill thru the unsewn part, hand sew the remainder, and go shooting!

GregLaROCHE
01-29-2020, 09:51 PM
A good strong thread to sew with is dental floss. Many of my sled dogs have been stitched up with it aft a fight.

Wolfer
01-31-2020, 08:23 PM
I generally use artificial sinew I get from Tandy leather. I keep a 1000’ spool on hand for leather work.
+1 on the dental floss for strong sutures. 10 lb or stronger fishing line is also good. A hair out of a horses tail will work if nothing else is available. Livestock can be rough on sutures.
Whoops, I didn’t mean to get off topic, sorry.

richhodg66
01-31-2020, 10:02 PM
A good strong thread to sew with is dental floss. Many of my sled dogs have been stitched up with it aft a fight.

I used some of that Spider Wire fishing line to do the stitching on an old motorcycle seat a recovered. That is some seriously strong stuff.

Old Coot
02-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Cut the legs off of old Levis, or cut the arms off of heavy work shirts, and sew them up fill with sand.

samari46
02-04-2020, 02:48 AM
Go to Good Will,Salvation Army or any other place that has older jeans for sale. ten bucks should get you enough material to make up your sand bags. And find a few of the contractor trash bags which are slightly thicker than your standard trash bags. stick your sand in them first tape closed and insert them in the bags before sewing them shut. I had some old bank coin bags sitting around and a buddy wanted something cheap to make sand bags. Gave him the bags and off he went. Frank

Tazlaw
02-04-2020, 04:37 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvxqtc8thRg

How to sew basic stitches. You can use wallyworld bags as interior bag.

35isit
02-11-2020, 03:12 PM
Didn't read all the replies. Did anyone suggest spent primers? Shotgun primers work well. Don't have any. but a buddy does and I've used them.

Dapaki
02-11-2020, 03:22 PM
I use Silica Cat Litter Crystals in the legs of old canvas trousers or camo printed canvas. It's a desiccant and keeps guns rust free in the safe. Just throw them into the oven at the WARM setting for a few hours to dry them out. Heavy but overly so, no powder to leak out and holds it's shape well.

alamogunr
02-11-2020, 09:43 PM
I use Silica Cat Litter Crystals in the legs of old canvas trousers or camo printed canvas. It's a desiccant and keeps guns rust free in the safe. Just throw them into the oven at the WARM setting for a few hours to dry them out. Heavy but overly so, no powder to leak out and holds it's shape well.

Thanks for this suggestion. I've got a big bucket of the stuff. Found it on sale a few years ago. I should be able to get a couple of "sandbags" out of what is left from using it as a desiccant. I've got several quart cans of regular desiccant, the kind that turns pink when it is time to rejuvenate it so this would be a good use for the cat litter.

nvbirdman
02-23-2020, 10:40 PM
I use cut-off jeans for my sandbags and fill them with used tumbling media.