PDA

View Full Version : Bullet wt vs powder charge

fn1889m
10-28-2019, 12:46 AM
I am a very new caster. Cast some, lubed, and now loading. The sized wt for 44 spl dropped at 253 gn. The mould is supposed to drop at 240 gn after sizing. I get that different alloys come out at different wts. Can I extrapolate a Unique powder charge using the Lyman manual between 240 gn and 255 gn bullets? Using 6.7 gn. I want to stay under 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
10-28-2019, 12:56 AM
I'd just use the 255 data, the OAL for the mold, & take the normal precautions.
You're less than 1% off.
If you start with 700-ish loads and tinker around, staying below either's max. or 800 speeds,
you should end up where you want to be, safely, and have something quite accurate.

Bear in mind, your speeds may be a little up or down
unless you're using exactly the same alloy and firearm they did in developing the data.

bmortell
10-28-2019, 01:11 AM
when your talking about handgun cartridges the seating depth on the bullet design, like how far up the seating grove is on the particular design will make the bullet take up different amount of case capacity and that might matter more than +/- 5% of bullet weight because a bullet don't have to be seated much deeper to take up 5% of the case capacity in pistols. so id pick the bullet within 10gr that has the seating grove in the most similar spot, if that makes sense

Petrol & Powder
10-28-2019, 06:31 AM
The deviation in weight is relatively minor. I'm with bmortell, the location of the base of the seated bullet in relation to the case is a bigger factor.

Larry Gibson
10-28-2019, 09:56 AM
As mentioned, such minor weight variation is of considerably less concern than is seating depth. I have proven this several times in different handgun cartridges (including the 44 SPL/Magnums). Use the data for that particular bullet to extrapolate a velocity. However, the use of a chronograph and working up the load to the safe velocity level is always best.

BTW; 4.5 - 5 gr Bullseye will get you what you want with that weight cast bullet and is a proven 44 SPL load.

fn1889m
10-28-2019, 06:37 PM
when your talking about handgun cartridges the seating depth on the bullet design, like how far up the seating grove is on the particular design will make the bullet take up different amount of case capacity and that might matter more than +/- 5% of bullet weight...

That makes sense. There’s less bullet before the crimp groove, and more bullet ahead of the crimp groove, than my normal commercial cast bullets.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191028/2f137828f7134332ac845e9d49381d7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Gibson
10-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Another example; the RCBS 44-250-K on the right was the heaviest by weight of the four bullets. It was seated the least and given the same powder charge in all four gave the less psi as actually measured (Oehler M43 PBL).

centershot
10-29-2019, 08:57 AM
IMO, Bullseye is one of the most overlooked pistol powders, especially for loads such as this. Swapping out the Unique for Bullseye will give you the ballistics you want with a cleaner gun and save you a grain or two of powder per charge. I have a friend who insists on using Unique for all his reduced rifle loads and most of his pistol loads, "just for economics", he says. Well, he's burning 5.0 gr. of Unique with a 158 gr. SWC in his .357 carbine, 3.5 to 4.0 of Bullseye would do the same AND save him TWENTY PERCENT on his powder! But, "just for economics", he sticks with Unique......[smilie=b:

fn1889m
11-03-2019, 12:27 AM
I know it’s a small thing to those of you who have been casting for decades. But today I shot my first cast bullets, pictured above. .44 special, 453 gn 429421 Lyman, sized to .430 with the Lee sizing die. Mostly clip on wheel weights. The lube was LLA and a little JPW. I had two loads, Unique 6.7 gn and Unique 7.0 gn. They shot at least as well as my commercial cast bullets. (I ain’t no Wyatt Earp.)

The revolvers were a Ruger New Vaquero 4+5/8 and a NMB Flattop 4+5/8 barrels. The Vaquero was POA/POI with 7 gn Unique based on my Mild Bunch shooting skills. ;-)

Both loads feel very substantial but the trigger guard did not whack my middle finger. That’s the load I want in most cases.

And there was virtually no leading in barrels. A little in the SS NMB and none in the blued NMV.

Thanks all.

Wayne Smith
11-03-2019, 09:49 AM
WAH HOO! Congratulations!

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-03-2019, 11:00 AM
It is NOT a small thing, when you shoot your first cast boolits.
You made them, it is a big deal.
It's even a bigger deal that those first shots were successful...not everyone can say the same.
Good luck on your future batches.

sharps4590
11-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Congratulations sir, and welcome to the slippery slope most of us have been sliding down for years.....:grin:

fn1889m
11-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Now I have to figure out what to do with all the store-bought bullets I have stock piled.

What surprises me is how many usable bullets I had cast in a short period of time with a two-cavity used eBay mould and a ten pound pot outdoors in my driveway. I have another 75 to load. I have a very manual reloading process. Recently moved from a SS press to a turret press for pistol. I am not really interested in a progressive. The entire breadth of the process is satisfying and fascinating. I have acquired better dies and some LE Wilson hand tools. I think casting is consistent with this comparatively slower process. I am retiring in less than a year and look forward to devoting much more time to reloading/casting, shooting, fly fishing and hiking.

JBinMN
11-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Now I have to figure out what to do with all the store-bought bullets I have stock piled.

Shoot em up,
:Fire: :2gunsfiring_v1: :guntootsmiley:

& stick to casting your own to shoot from now on.
;)

Welcome to the CB.GL forum & the Galena Silver Stream!
:)