PDA

View Full Version : Question(s) on lead mixing

Duckhunter
10-27-2019, 08:15 PM
I've got lead from several sources and I don't know how to make Lyman #2 with what I have. For starters, I have several pounds of smelted wheel weights, labeled as such and stacked. I've got a few pieces of linotype in pig iron pours, 50 to 100 pounds total. I've got a couple of card board boxes of linotype in typeset form (letters etc.). I have a few pounds of stick-on wheel weights, and finally, I've got some ballast from a friends racing car days that he attest was all wheel weights. I've also got several pieces of pewter (stamped as such) to work with. I have made boolits out of straight wheel weights and wheel weights with a small amount of linotype. However, none of my efforts are repeatable and I would like to figure out how to blend this stuff in a repeatable manner. Is there a place that will analyzise a sample for lead, tin, antimony and arsenic content for a reasonable price? I've thought about melting most of this stuff together into one large melt and have that analyzed but I'm afraid that I may ruin my hoard if I do this. Any suggestions from the group?

JBinMN
10-27-2019, 08:23 PM
Linotype 2 lbs + COWW 5 lbs should equal about 1.5% tin 6.3% antimony 92.2% lead which is close to Lyman #2 BHN/hardness

COWW 9 lbs + Bar Solder 1 lb should equal about 5% tin 3% antimony 92% lead, which is close to the Lyman#2 alloy

COWW 9 lbs + Linotype 2 lbs +Virgin bar tin 7 ounces equals about 4.9 tin 4.5% antimony 90.65% lead, which is a duplicate of Lyman#2

Source of those "alloy recipes" is: http://www.lasc.us/castbulletalloy.htm#UNS

and there is a lot more reading & info there to look at & I suggest taking a look. I can provide even More links for reading about alloys if you like. Just ask.
:)

G'Luck!
:)

RickinTN
10-27-2019, 08:24 PM
Recent wheel weights I've dealt with are about 97% lead, 2.5% antimony and .5% tin. Linotype is 12% antimony, 4% tin, and 84% lead. Lymnan #2 is 90% lead, 5% antimony and 5% tin. You could get there with wheel weights and Linotype. I wouldn't mix it all together and then find out what you have because you wouldn't have anything left to "adjust" your alloy with.
There is a member here, BNE? I believe who can analyze your samples very reasonably I thought. You might contact him.
The most mixing I would do before assay would be to melt all of what you believe to be the same for consistency and have them tested, then you would know exactly how much of each you need to get to where you want it to be.
Good Luck,
Rick

BNE
10-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Don't Mix it all together!! As tempting as that is, you have what sounds like a good collection or Sb and Sn "rich" alloys. Used sparingly, your Linotype and pewter can last you for years.

BNE can analyze what you have and help you KNOW what to mix with what to get to the alloy you want. Oh yeah, that's me. Shoot me a PM if interested.

BNE

poppy42
10-27-2019, 09:12 PM
If you have a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook4th edition ( if you don’t you should have ) it has Alloy Formulas starting on page 297. Or if you do a little searching on this forum there exists in Excel
spreadsheet alloy calculator. If you don’t have a copy of Microsoft office, Google open Open office .org. It’s freeware that’s available online that allows you to create and edit pretty much all Microsoft office documents. I highly recommend that you have both, The cast bullet handbook any alloy calculator .

semtav
10-27-2019, 09:37 PM
BNE can analyze what you have and help you KNOW what to mix with what to get to the alloy you want. Oh yeah, that's me. Shoot me a PM if interested.

BNE

That's nice to know !!! I have an unknown alloy I've been using for my daughters 40-65 that shoots well that I'm gonna run out of next summer. I'll save a few pieces and have them tested !!