PDA

View Full Version : Flux

super6
10-27-2019, 03:13 PM
I think I found the perfect media to flux anything lead, or alloyed materials. Was intending to flux some printer type and realized I did not have the sawdust I use to flux with, In a panic I IMPROVISED.Pine needles.Dry and full of resin
Never had a better flux.

Froogal
10-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Key word being "DRY". Any moisture at all could be disastrous.

Budzilla 19
10-27-2019, 03:38 PM
We had thousands of gallons of pure, refined pine rosin at the company I used to work at. Never going to have to buy fluxing material ever again!!! And it works wonderful and , boy, does it smell good while working outside!

super6
10-27-2019, 03:48 PM
The needles are so easy to push under the melt. Just feels right.When they float up and cleared off, theirs a mirror.

gwpercle
10-27-2019, 05:26 PM
I think I found the perfect media to flux anything lead, or alloyed materials. Was intending to flux some printer type and realized I did not have the sawdust I use to flux with, In a panic I IMPROVISED.Pine needles.Dry and full of resin
Never had a better flux.

Another substitute for sawdust is the shavings from a pencil sharpener .
The wood is cedar and the little bit of powdered graphite doesn't hurt a thing .
I don't have pine trees buy we have several pencil sharpeners and I save the shavings for fluxing .
Gary

Oily
10-28-2019, 01:13 AM
thanks gwpercle! Have 3 grandkids living with me now and will start saving the shavings.