PDA

View Full Version : About that "special" magazine spring and follower I have

Naphtali
10-26-2019, 07:17 PM
I have another Winchester Model 97 pump shotgun. I replaced its magazine spring and follower with a six-round conversion package made in U.S.A. by Wild Bodie Tom in Mesa, Arizona, apparently popular in the cowboy shooting sport. I have two related questions.

1. Kept fully loaded, how long will a replacement magazine spring for original five-shot magazines reliably feed all five shotshells - that is, how many years is the spring reliable when fully compressed?

2. Kept fully loaded, how long should I expect a Wild Bodie Tom six-round conversion package reliably feed all six shotshells - that is, how many years is the spring reliable when fully compressed?
I am aware of semiautomatic pistol magazines being left fully loaded for a decade and feeding reliably when used. I have been told of original Winchester Model 92 lever action carbine tubular magazines being left fully loaded for several years and feeding reliably when used. This information is indicative, but is not completely responsive.

I would much rather trust replies here than from web sites of which I have no experience. . . . Here, reliable; elsewhere, ???

Winger Ed.
10-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Not that particular one, but other mag. springs I've had seem to almost last forever.

I've got a handful of 1911, and M1A magazines of assorted GI and aftermarket ones that have been fully loaded since the 80's.
Years ago, I had a couple of M1 carbine mags that had been loaded the early 50's. They still worked in the 1990's.

The carbine is gone, but as of a couple weeks ago--- the 1911 & M1A ones still work fine.

Springs are tougher than most people think.
Look at all the antique lever guns, and surplus military rifles that still have all their original springs-
and they're still on the job.

I had a all original flintlock pistol from the early 1800's.
I never fired it, but the leaf spring driving the hammer still falls with definite 'authority'.

WebMonkey
10-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Spring under compression no big deal.
Spring repeatedly compressed and decompressed, there's your lifespan limiter.

Good luck!

Texas by God
10-26-2019, 08:43 PM
I owned a 97 of 1909 vintage for close to twenty years. It was loaded the entire time except when I took it out shooting about once a year. I would not worry about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rcslotcar
10-26-2019, 08:56 PM
My 1931, 1897 has been kept loaded for 37 years with no problems.

Ford SD
10-26-2019, 09:18 PM
i think that there is a gun range in Vegas... open to the public

replace recoil springs in there semi auto pistols every month