PDA

View Full Version : Smokeless Powder and Paint

Ickisrulz
10-26-2019, 07:14 PM
I am experienced with the effects of powder on plastic and learned not to leave a powder measure full.

There is a guy offering Pyrex hopper cylinders that are not effected by powder. But if I leave powder in a measure for a couple days will it damage the paint inside the measure's bottom? I am specifically talking about a Redding powder measure.

stubshaft
10-27-2019, 03:07 AM
I've left powder in my Reddings for weeks and have not had any problems with the paint in the measure deteriorating.

cwlongshot
10-27-2019, 09:38 AM
Same here. As a rule I dont leave it in there. But i have a X15 and a RCBS side by each and no problems leaving powder in them for a week or so. I do cover them with a rag and the room stays dark unless I am in there.

My hopper in my Dillon 550’s stay loaded with powder (and covered) for months upon months with zero effect.

CW

15meter
10-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Now I have to go look at my Redding powder measures-- 3BR and BR-30, they're in the shed and I'm in the house, I thought the inside of the hopper was bare metal.

Got me wondering.

And I've never worried about leaving powder in a measure over night or for a few days. An empty shot bag is the perfect measure cover.

Ickisrulz
10-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Now I have to go look at my Redding powder measures-- 3BR and BR-30, they're in the shed and I'm in the house, I thought the inside of the hopper was bare metal.

Got me wondering.

And I've never worried about leaving powder in a measure over night or for a few days. An empty shot bag is the perfect measure cover.

I am embarrassed to say I didn't look inside the measure before I posted. I assumed it had a coating. It does not, just bare metal.

15meter
10-28-2019, 09:58 PM
I am embarrassed to say I didn't look inside the measure before I posted. I assumed it had a coating. It does not, just bare metal.

Glad you looked, I've been in and out of the shed a half-dozen times since yesterday morning and forgot to look every time.