PDA

View Full Version : Dual (or more) Caliber Gold Cup

Green Frog
10-26-2019, 05:05 PM
Many years ago I had a Colt Ace that wasn't seeing much use so I bought a complete Gold Cup upper assembly and had a friend who was a retired Navy pistol smith build me a fitted Gold Cup 45 (70 Series.) Somewhat earlier I put a blued 38 Super upper on an electroless nickel Combat Commander in 45 ACP. By a twist in manufacture, the pinned in ejector for the Commander worked equally well for both calibers so I was able to just field strip and reassemble.

On the 70 Series at least, this was not possible with the full size O frame without changing the ejector, but I am wondering whether anyone is aware of an ejector that would work for both 45 ACP and 9 mm Parabellum. Although I have a dedicated 9 mm (a near perfect Model 39-2 S&W) I would like to go with a modular approach here and have a single lower that would take 22 RF, 9 mm Para, and 45 ACP with a simple field strip and reassembly. Anybody out there have any idea whether there is a currently made ejector or an established modification that would work for this?

TIA ~ Froggie

Green Frog
10-27-2019, 09:25 PM
Seventy Six views and NO responses? I know it's been done, because I read an article in Shooting Times or Guns & Ammo or some such outlining how it was done... but I'm an old man and my memory won't fill in the blanks for me to tell me what I need. :coffeecom

Froggie

Dale53
10-27-2019, 11:27 PM
My father built a commercial Colt 1911 in three calibers when I was a kid (.22, .38 Super, and .45 ACP. However, he had three separate ejectors. He had a friend who was a pattern maker make a gorgeous black walnut fitted case lined with pool table felt. It was a beautiful set up and a real crowd pleaser. Later, it got traded off for something more desirable at the time.

FWIW,
Dale53

Bmi48219
10-28-2019, 09:57 AM
I was at a gunsmith (Steve Fisher) shop in Port St. Lucie Florida two years ago. He had a 3 caliber 1911 for sale. Pretty sure it was a set up for 45, 38 super & 9 mm. I got the impression he had built it. You could try looking him up.

DougGuy
10-28-2019, 10:37 AM
If it was easy and or practical, you'd see these falling out of the trees. The reason you don't is because you pretty much have to change the extractor each time you want to change caliber. If you're willing to do that, there's nothing to it.

Currently Trump hasn't rescinded Osammy's EO changing this from simple gunsmithing to manufacturing so unless you find a smith willing to pay the $2,200.00 annual "fee" to perform such work, you are not likely to have one done even if you walked in with all the parts.

charlie b
10-31-2019, 10:14 AM
The last time I looked (1980's) at this the only change in the frame was the ejector. IIRC, some folks used the .38 super ejector with the .45 but not sure of how reliable that is. I'd just try it and see. Fairly easy to change and cheap to buy.

Green Frog
10-31-2019, 07:25 PM
I know you can use a 45 ejector with 38 Stupor in a Combat Commander (Been there, done that!) but I hate to start buying parts for something that won't work (don't ask how I got to that point!) so I asked here. The shorter stroke of the Commander requires that little projection on the front and both slides have the same ejector groove and call for the same ejector. I'm wondering whether the 38 ejector for the full length Gov't Model frame will pass through the groove in the 45 slide (as well as the 22) and as charlie b asked, will it be reliable? :?::?:

Froggie

bobthenailer
11-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Layne Simpson has a book "The custom government model pistol "on the 1911 that covers switch top guns and many other things ! IMO a must have for the 1911 NUT.
Wolf publishing co