PDA

View Full Version : Alliant MZ Powder

Theditchman
10-26-2019, 02:46 PM
I have been trying out some of the Alliant MZ powder out at the range...At first sight I thought it was very coarse n ext to 777 and pyrodex select and I had a problem feeding it through my dispenser....but I soon found the answer was to shake the dispenser a few times with my finger over the spout and the button depressed and that worked good..It fired up every time and after shooting it all morning in my inline and sidelock with reasonable results I decided I liked it and for $9.99 a pound I thought it was a great deal....I decided to buy another 10 lbs but found that Sportsmans Wherehouse online store has sold out...but....some of their stores still have some....of course here in N.FL there are no stores but I did find a store in Phoenix and they put 10 lbs on will pick up for me..and yes I just happen to be going there in two weeks so I will ship it back to myself..I think I will buy a cpl of extra pounds for LAG's to try...so if you like reasonable cheap powder and can find some in a store close to you...better get some quick

brewer12345
10-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Oh well. We knew it was just a matter of time. I have been buying a pound here and there at sportsman's, but I must have been burning it almost as fast as i was buying since I only have 3 pounds on hand.

LAGS
10-26-2019, 09:04 PM
That is good to know.
I have a Sportsman's Warehouse just five miles from my house.
The other is clear on the north side of Phoenix.
But I did see another one when I went to Flagstaff last weekend.
I am up for trying new powders , since I can't seem to find the time to make more of my own BP.
But I am working on that.

Theditchman
10-26-2019, 10:36 PM
I knew you were a kindred spirit

AntiqueSledMan
10-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Hey Guys,

Just a heads up, Alliant Black MZ is being discontinued.
When stock piles are gone, it's gone.
Seems the $9.99 a pound are a thing of the past.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/alliant-black-mz.33429/

AntiqueSledMan.

Theditchman
10-27-2019, 08:00 AM
You are right...It has been discontinued...I bought 10 lbs last month @ $9.99 a lb mail order....but the only powder left is whats in stores...I found a store and bought another 10 lbs...this will last me a long time

rodwha
10-27-2019, 08:15 AM
You are right...It has been discontinued...I bought 10 lbs last month @ $9.99 a lb mail order....but the only powder left is whats in stores...I found a store and bought another 10 lbs...this will last me a long time

A long time? Then you aren’t doing it right! :kidding:

LAGS
10-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Powders being Discontinued, or just hard to get, is the reason I want to make 90% of my own BP.
That way , I can control what I have, and it seems that finding the Raw Materials to make my own powder is Easier and cheaper than testing some product, work up a good load, then to have it be discontinued.
I knew how much powder I was using a month over the past years, But now that I am retired, I expect that amount to go up considerably once I get things settled into my new life.
Plus having a moderate stockpile of Raw Materials, Is WAY Safer than storing a bunch of BP.
I am not Current on the Local Laws,
But I think out here, You can Legally only have 7 lbs of BP in your Home without a Permit from the Fire Department.
But then again, that may be a carry over from what I remember from California.
I will have to Look Into the current laws just to be safe.

Fly
10-27-2019, 03:38 PM
I,m with Lags on making my own. People do not shoot as much BP as they once did. Why would they make it if there is just not that much market? Besides I don't care
because I only shoot real BP. I make my own for under $3 a Lb & enjoy the fun of shooting real BP.

Fly

super6
10-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Don't Forget the fire workers.

Fly
10-28-2019, 02:16 PM
I,m a fire worker or once was. No one in fireworks I have ever met use substitutes. Most all make there own. Making
fireworks is very expensive. That is why I don't do it as I once did.

Fly

LAGS
10-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Fireworks making is Expensive.
That is why they Sparkle

brewer12345
10-30-2019, 04:00 PM
There is some listed on gunbroker at a reasonable price, although you would have to want several pounds to overcome the hazmat: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842524535

Theditchman
10-30-2019, 05:01 PM
$35 Hazmat fee ???.....That must be his profit as well

brewer12345
10-30-2019, 06:20 PM
$35 Hazmat fee ???.....That must be his profit as well

Yeah. OTOH, try and find the stuff anywhere else.

Theditchman
10-30-2019, 07:00 PM
There is still plenty out there...look at the sportsmans wherehouse site and do a search for aliant mz and it will tell you all the stores that still have some in stock..if you dont mind a drive there is some in casper wy and there is still plenty in az...I am going to az next week and put 10 lbs on willcall in phoenix...I might get more and distribute it among my relatives until i need it..I love it...it gets a bit cruddy after about 15 shots but i just run a patch through and i'm good to go

LAGS
10-30-2019, 07:31 PM
I swab after every shot , except for when I am hunting.
So minor fouling , or a build up over many shots is not a problem.
All I expect from BP is Minute of Elk Accuracy.

brewer12345
10-30-2019, 08:48 PM
I could pay for a lot of hazmat instead of driving hundreds of miles.

Newtire
11-06-2019, 09:17 AM
I had real good luck with the stuff and wish you could still get it.

The big question for me is (all speculation aside): does anyone know the real reason why they quit making it?

Can we expect to see William Shatner or Henry Winkler advertising for Dewy Cheathem & Howe attorneys with an ad about some weird medical condition caused by the stuff and how to get compensated for just calling in ?

brewer12345
11-06-2019, 10:36 AM
I believe I read that the factory that made it burned down.

Froogal
11-06-2019, 11:29 AM
I believe I read that the factory that made it burned down.

About 2 years ago I was ready to give black powder a try. Went to a Bass Pro where I have seen Goex powder. I didn't see any, so I asked. The answer? "We can't get it because the factory burned down".

Theditchman
11-09-2019, 06:55 PM
I heard the same thing about the factory burning down...I think I read a news article about it too....oh well...I managed to snag 20 lbs of the stuff before it dried up and I like it

shdwlkr
11-10-2019, 11:51 AM
If you are looking for Black MZ a few of the sportsmans warehouse stores around the country have it still listed as in stock. Good luck

quilbilly
11-13-2019, 12:00 AM
I guess I better pick up another pound or two.

hylander
11-13-2019, 10:07 PM
I'll be picking up another #4

brewer12345
11-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Assume you are finding it at a Sportsmans that still has stock?

quilbilly
11-15-2019, 12:15 AM
I just checked the two Sportsman's Wharehouses closest to me and both were cleaned out of black MZ.

shdwlkr
11-15-2019, 12:08 PM
you need to look and see what stores in the USA still have it and then order it from them if they will ship to you or your store. Places like Sportsman's Warehouse | Moses Lake, WA, Sportsman's Warehouse | Wenatchee, WA. .Sportsman's Warehouse | Reno, NV , Sportsman's Warehouse | Rock Springs, WY are just a few that say they have black MZ in stock, you are going to have think if you still want some. Strange thing is my store says I can still order it.

brewer12345
11-15-2019, 01:10 PM
you need to look and see what stores in the USA still have it and then order it from them if they will ship to you or your store. Places like Sportsman's Warehouse | Moses Lake, WA, Sportsman's Warehouse | Wenatchee, WA. .Sportsman's Warehouse | Reno, NV , Sportsman's Warehouse | Rock Springs, WY are just a few that say they have black MZ in stock, you are going to have think if you still want some. Strange thing is my store says I can still order it.

Suddenly shows up as available for order on their website, either to me or the local store. Wild.

dondiego
11-15-2019, 01:52 PM
I just tried to order 6 pounds and they said I could only get one pound due to lack of supply. $29.99 to my door. I declined.

Theditchman
11-15-2019, 03:48 PM
I just picked up my 10 lbs in Phoenix...I asked if they had any more but they had none left on the shelf

hylander
11-16-2019, 01:22 AM
Just picked up another 4 lb. :bigsmyl2:

toot
11-16-2019, 09:43 AM
can it be used in a flintlock as a main charge with out 10 grains of 3fg black ahead if it to get it to fire? I guess that you will have to prime with black? just curious?thanks.

TheOutlawKid
11-22-2019, 11:54 AM
I called sportsmans...the website only allows 1 can to be ordered due to only having 2 cans in stock in their warehouse. Farewell blackmz...you will be missed. Anyone want to say some kind words?

shaune509
11-22-2019, 08:27 PM
Alliant still shows it on there web site, no mention of being discontinued. Has any one read of any factory statement as to availability? Or are we doing the rumor thing?
Shaune509

brewer12345
11-22-2019, 10:51 PM
It has pretty much disappeared from the marketplace. If you see it for sale somewhere, please let us know.

TheOutlawKid
11-22-2019, 11:20 PM
I called alliant and spoke to a rep. Said they discontinued it and have no plans on creating a replacement. I too thought it was rumor...so i called. A part of me hoped it was all rumor too.

brewer12345
11-22-2019, 11:26 PM
The no plans for a replacement is a bummer.

Theditchman
11-23-2019, 08:34 AM
After all said and done I managed to get 20 lbs....but I am constantly scouring the web for bargains and as soon as I find them I shall post for all....Try this one for wads..

https://www.castbullet.com/wads.htm

TheOutlawKid
11-23-2019, 07:06 PM
The ditchman...where did u get 20 pounds?

OverMax
11-24-2019, 01:26 AM
Making one's own Black is truly a Art. These days being a curmudgeon of sorts I typically don't advocate others to even try. Although I quietly sit here with a smile & a wink for those whom are persistent in their quest to not be dependent on powder producers. Last time I purchased a lb of 2-FFg its over the counter selling price was $5.50_"A price to high in my neck of the woods."

TheOutlawKid
11-24-2019, 09:39 AM
I too make my own black powdet but black mz was my favorite sub and only sub id ever use. Its really good stuff

dondiego
11-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Making one's own Black is truly a Art. These days being a curmudgeon of sorts I typically don't advocate others to even try. Although I quietly sit here with a smile & a wink for those whom are persistent in their quest to not be dependent on powder producers. Last time I purchased a lb of 2-FFg its over the counter selling price was $5.50_"A price to high in my neck of the woods."

It's not an art any more than boolit casting is. It requires following directions.

Markopolo
11-24-2019, 11:16 AM
don, I think what he meant was, that anybody can make powder that goes bang, just like anybody can cast a boolit. the difference is making what you want, how you want it to preform, burn rate granule size, and so forth.. like casting a boolit, there is a far cry from a wrinkled, out of round boolit and a beautiful wellformed, and accurate boolit that is repeatable.. making powder is an art, just as making great boolits is an art, or building a beautiful table is an art.. to be an art, it takes an artist! then it takes somebody to appreciate it... perhaps just yourself to appreciate it... its the effort that makes it art.

marko

LAGS
11-24-2019, 12:19 PM
The Ditchman took a trip to Arizona like he said earlier in the thread.
He had put the Black MZ on Will Call at Sportsman's and was able to pick it up while he was here.
He also got to swing by and meet up with me twice while he was in the state.
It is great to meet other members from the Forum and share our common interests.
We already are working on something that will benifit both of us.
It will allow him to get some of his rifles up and running to showcase the work he does , as well as showcase some of my work to others.
I will be letting him post the pictures when the guns are finished since they are his rifles..
But now he has plenty of powder to fire the rifles when he is finished.

TheOutlawKid
11-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Ah marko my good friend! You were right about the art comment. Making powder is quite the art form. I experimented with so many different chatcoal types before i settled on a couple i truely felt were the best (red alder and paulownia wood make my powder beat swiss performance and are a little cleaner). Everyone has their own technique or art form...and the end product truely is a work of art....that is if you have an eye for that sort of thing. Ive caught myself saying "wow...look at that grain size..so even and such rounded smooth edges...a work of art!"

dondiego
11-25-2019, 12:47 PM
don, I think what he meant was, that anybody can make powder that goes bang, just like anybody can cast a boolit. the difference is making what you want, how you want it to preform, burn rate granule size, and so forth.. like casting a boolit, there is a far cry from a wrinkled, out of round boolit and a beautiful wellformed, and accurate boolit that is repeatable.. making powder is an art, just as making great boolits is an art, or building a beautiful table is an art.. to be an art, it takes an artist! then it takes somebody to appreciate it... perhaps just yourself to appreciate it... its the effort that makes it art.

marko

OK, I'll buy that. I guess having great skill is considered an art.

n.h.schmidt
11-26-2019, 09:32 AM
I may be the only one to have had a problem with Black MZ. In shooting patched round ball from two of my sidelocks ,I get hard spots in the barrel. I can ram past the spots but accuracy is gone. Maybe a patch lube change will help. I currently use Mr flintlock patch lube. It's a lot like Lehigh of days gone by. Works fine with pyrodex p and I can shoot the whole outing or match with no problems. What do you guys use?
n.h.schmidt

Theditchman
11-27-2019, 07:48 AM
I too get hard spots...I get it with everything..sabots...ball...REAL..Maxi ball..Ect. and I have found a quick swab every 5 shots and a wire brush every 10 shots takes care of that issue