PDA

View Full Version : My 10mm Idea

harley45
11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
What would some of he more experienced casters think of this idea?

.40 caliber 200 grains Keith style 73% meplant with a gas check base for my new Wilson CQB?

I got the idea from Glen's write up on the .401 powermag. I'm adding the gas check for the higher velocity of my 10mm. I think if I cast from a 50/50 mix of lino and wheelweight I'd have a prety good wild boar load.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Eric

AlaskaMike
11-06-2008, 06:39 PM
If the bullet's sized right, you shouldn't need a gas check. I push plain based bullets at over 1300 fps from my revolvers all the time with no leading, so it shouldn't be any different in your 10mm.

Mike

Glen
11-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Sounds like a good recipe for pork to me!

harley45
11-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm still up in the air about the gas check, but from my experience with my 452423 mold in .45 super I'd kinda like the extra insurance I think. I'm considering sing Blue Dot any thoughts on my powder choice?

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2008, 03:30 PM
ive seen pigs killed very handily with simular loads in a 610 smith so your gun out to work great.

yondering
11-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Blue Dot would be a fine choice; I personally prefer Power Pistol, which is also an excellent choice for 10mm, and meters easier.

I agree with AlaskaMike on the gas check. No need for a gas check on a boolit that will never see the top side of 1300fps.

I'm also not a big fan of Keith boolits in semi-autos. I've had a number of cases in my own guns where the front driving band shoulder causes a mis-feed. Your particular gun may or may not have a problem with it, but what if you get another gun that does? You can use basically the same boolit, with the same meplat size, but in a WFN style instead of a Keith, and it should have less feeding issues. This boolit is available from Beartooth Bullets if you wanted to try some, and is available in loaded ammo from Double Tap. (here: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=105&osCsid=b247402f89db5ad4d94781d7fc0b27cf)

BTW I really like my 10mm, and like the idea of a heavy .40 cal boolit, so I think you are on the right track, just consider the potential feeding issue.

Bret4207
11-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Will it feed? Thats the limiting factor IMO.

crabo
11-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm also not a big fan of Keith boolits in semi-autos. I've had a number of cases in my own guns where the front driving band shoulder causes a mis-feed. Your particular gun may or may not have a problem with it, but what if you get another gun that does? You can use basically the same boolit, with the same meplat size, but in a WFN style instead of a Keith, and it should have less feeding issues. .

I'm doing the same thing with my 38 Super. I'm not hunting anything with it, but I wanted a boolit that would feed, but yet offer some smackdown on small game if the opportunity presented itself.

I'm using the Lee 125 CB boolit at about 1250 fps. It has a 68% meplat if I am measuring right. I'm still working up accuracy loads, but it is showing some promise. If I was going to hunt, I would try to find a heavier boolit. Actually I would use a different gun, but this shows promise for what it is.

harley45
11-08-2008, 08:54 AM
On the Mountain Molds site, what is the WFN bullet shape called?

crabo
11-08-2008, 10:59 AM
TAN, but you would need to add in your meplat size to get a good picture

C A Plater
11-08-2008, 11:19 AM
All of these feed well in my Razorback. The one on the left is a 200 grain WFN Beartooth loaded to real 10mm levels from Double Tap (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php).
http://tcbunch.com/kiosk/doubletap_10mm_small.jpg

akraven
11-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Has anybody tries this one from NEI?
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/404-210-gc.jpg

missionary5155
11-24-2008, 05:05 AM
What would some of he more experienced casters think of this idea?

.40 caliber 200 grains Keith style 73% meplant with a gas check base for my new Wilson CQB?

I got the idea from Glen's write up on the .401 powermag. I'm adding the gas check for the higher velocity of my 10mm. I think if I cast from a 50/50 mix of lino and wheelweight I'd have a prety good wild boar load.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Eric
Good morning The basic idea sounds GREAT and all I would say is for PIGS I would be sure to go with the heaviest possible boolit... I shoot 41 magnum as my HUNTING caliber and everyday plinker. For Whitetail.. I would say a 200 grain is fine.. BUT a pigs can have that nasty habit of deciding you the shooter are gonna get chomped on before said porker expires. An old hunter told me years ago.. " Figure 1 grain of lead per pound of critter moving as fast as possible.." So I would suggest for pigs use the heaviest boolit practicle. In 41 magnum or 375 Supermag I use 250 grains + and those extra grains DO make a difference especially if you need to smash through the shoulder or the skull .