PDA

View Full Version : Tru-Line JR

44magLeo
10-25-2019, 01:24 PM
I didn't start out using Lyman's 310 or Tru-Line JR. I came to them late in my loading. I find using these tools to be a very pleasurable way to load. They let me link up with those who used these tools before.
I have used more modern presses with more strength and power and I like them. They just don't have ?? something these older tools do.
I have gotten 310 sets for everything I load for as well as a few I don't.
A few years ago I picked up a Tru-Line JR. It came with die sets for 30-06 and 270. These are Tru-Line specific dies.
Just recently I learned this press was a Gen l.
I found a Gen ll at a price I thought was good. Not great but good. It came with the box, instructions and a sheet that listed a lot of places that sold Lyman products.
This sheet was dated 1959. So I assume this press was made around then too.
When I got it out of the box I was impressed. It was a better deal than I thought. It was in very good shape. Paint is near perfect and very little of the bluing on the post shows wear.
I haven't gotten my "new" press set up yet, it will be mostly used for 44Mag. The other is set up for 38/357.
I will enjoy them for as long as I have them. After that I hope spmeone else can enjoy them as much as I have.
Leo

Green Frog
10-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Howdy Leo, it sounds like you and I have gotten to just about the same place by vastly different means. The first press my father and I loaded on was a late TL Jr hand-me-down from an uncle (Dad's brother-in-law) who had moved up to an All American. I've gone the route through various "full size" single stage and turret presses as well as a Dillon and a Star Progressive, but I still go back to my old TL Jr to load 32 S&W Longs because it "just seems so right." I'm to the point where I have a bunch of presses now, but that first TL Jr stays bolted to the corner of the bench as others come and go.

Regards,
Froggie

uscra112
10-25-2019, 09:43 PM
I inherited a Gen II Junior from my Dad. Despite having many hundreds of $$$ tied up in more modern and more powerful presses, I still do pistol loading on the Junior. Dad had had a shop chum open up his turret to take 7/8 dies, probably in the 1960s. He loaded .35 Remington on it for his deer rifle.* I subsequently bought a new turret from a guy in PA which takes six 7/8 dies, not four, so my setups for .38/.357 and 9mm never have to be disturbed.

Below is the self-contained reloading station I built when I was living in an apartment, with the Junior mounted inside. That was over 20 years ago. Still using it.

The tong tool is one of many that I have acquired and use. Mostly for decapping, but my entire setup for loading .32 Long Colt is based on a tong tool.

*The deer rifle was a Marlin 336. He wasn't a wealthy man, and Mother begrudged him every dime he spent on hunting gear. I still feel the connection when using his Junior, even though he left us in 1995.

44magLeo
10-26-2019, 04:33 PM
I didn't know any one that reloaded when I was young. I was introduced to loading when I was in the Air Force.
A friend loaded his own for a Ruger Security Six. I bought a Ruger SBH. I bought a set of Redding dies and a shell holder and he showed me how he loaded. Some of his ways of doing things just didn't seem right.
I very soon bought an RCBS Rockchucker press and a Lyman manual. This was in 78.
After reading the book I realized that my friend was not so bright. The way he did things was kinda scary.
Anyway I survived, and as far as I know so did he.
Over the years I have used that RCBS press with several brands of dies with great success.
I had collected several other press and other tooling. and lost them in moving around.
Now I'm settled in one place and have collected up much of what I lost. Some things I didn't replace. Things I found I didn't like.
Mostly older stuff. I have found good stuff at local gun shows and auctions. I found a Redding press kit that I would have bought for $170 but a friend did so he could get a good start.
the kit had the press, scale, primer flipper, powder funnel. a RCBS loading guide. The only thing it didn't have was a measure. I loaned him one of mine.
Leo

uscra112
10-26-2019, 04:38 PM
Nice list, but no Tru-Line Junior?

Green Frog
10-26-2019, 04:44 PM
While we're wandering down memory lane Leo, I'll mention that I had early exposure to the big old Herter's catalog which of course had the best of everything in it, didn't it" [smilie=1: Anyway, it warped my thinking to the point where I look first to Lyman, next to Herter's (even though long out of business) for my reloading equipment unless it's something I know is proprietary to a certain manufacturer. I'm still buying "obsolete" stuff just because it has more character, IMHO. I also enjoy loading in ways nobody does now but others used to in the past. I guess I'm either old school or just weird! [smilie=w:

Froggie

Wayne Smith
10-27-2019, 12:43 PM
I grew up on the Herter's catalog, too, Froggie. Didn't let it warp me though. It has only been recently that I got addicted to the TruLine Jr. and Bair products!

Green Frog
10-27-2019, 01:05 PM
I grew up on the Herter's catalog, too, Froggie. Didn't let it warp me though. It has only been recently that I got addicted to the TruLine Jr. and Bair products!

Wayne, don't get me started on how many other rabbit holes I'be gone down, with Pacific/Bair powder measures being a prime example. I'm still hoping to tool up and make some rotors for them some day if I can only "get a round tuit." Have you got any duplicate rotors to swap yet? I think I have one or two now. There was a really nice measure with two rotors on flea Bay lately, I noticed.

Froggie

Pressman
10-27-2019, 02:40 PM
I got my reloading start with a 310 and upgraded to the Try-Line Jr within a year. I really wanted an All American but an 18 year old could only afford so much back then. I had no one in my family that was a shooter or reloader so everything I knew about reloading came from Guns and Guns & Ammo magazines.
By 1989 I was in need of modernizing my reloading tools when I was introduced to Herter's and was given a Model 3 and a 1964 catalog, I have been chasing rabbits down holes ever since.

Ken

Wayne Smith
10-27-2019, 08:44 PM
Wayne, don't get me started on how many other rabbit holes I'be gone down, with Pacific/Bair powder measures being a prime example. I'm still hoping to tool up and make some rotors for them some day if I can only "get a round tuit." Have you got any duplicate rotors to swap yet? I think I have one or two now. There was a really nice measure with two rotors on flea Bay lately, I noticed.

Froggie

Not only did I get some, I also have several blanks - undrilled! I believe you have a couple of those, too?

Green Frog
10-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Not only did I get some, I also have several blanks - undrilled! I believe you have a couple of those, too?

Yep, you sent me one (or two maybe?) but life got in the way and I haven't even thought about getting it/them drilled. I did notice that at least one that I fooled with a little seemed a bit loose in the measure body. I'm still looking for a 2.0 BE to use for loading 32 S&W L, but the 2.5 may be OK for that... or I may split the difference and make a 2.25 BE for myself out of one of those blanks. Just thinking out loud now, but I'd still love to have a complete set of factory rotors since I have sets for the Little Dandy and the Accumeasure.

Froggie

Wayne Smith
10-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Yep, you sent me one (or two maybe?) but life got in the way and I haven't even thought about getting it/them drilled. I did notice that at least one that I fooled with a little seemed a bit loose in the measure body. I'm still looking for a 2.0 BE to use for loading 32 S&W L, but the 2.5 may be OK for that... or I may split the difference and make a 2.25 BE for myself out of one of those blanks. Just thinking out loud now, but I'd still love to have a complete set of factory rotors since I have sets for the Little Dandy and the Accumeasure.

Froggie

Now you're just being greedy, greenie!

Green Frog
10-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Now you're just being greedy, greenie!

Actually, not so much Wayne. I've looked at various copies of instruction sheets for listings of the available rotors, and I don't think there are more than about 10-12 different ones at most... less than Lyman and far less than RCBS. I'm about halfway there now. :coffee:

Froggie

LHitchcox
10-28-2019, 06:11 PM
A local pawn shop had a TL jr with .38 spl. dies for $30 just a couple of weeks ago. Looking back, I wish I had bought it.

Green Frog
10-29-2019, 10:00 AM
A local pawn shop had a TL jr with .38 spl. dies for $30 just a couple of weeks ago. Looking back, I wish I had bought it.

Two contrasting replies come to mind;

1) You can’t have it all... if you did where would you put it?
2). I regret the things I didn’t do much more than those I did.

Take your choice and be reassured to stand pat or encouraged to keep buying. BTW, both apply to me, FWIW! :wink:

Froggie

Pressman
10-29-2019, 12:09 PM
I wish I could find a deal like that, it's 50% of current value. I don't need another Tl Jr but why not if the price is right.

firebyprolong
10-30-2019, 12:56 PM
I bought my first truline for the complete set of 4 30-30 310 dies that where in it, at a pawn shop for 25 or 30$ out the door with a 357 and a 30-06 j shell holder zip tied to it. Pretty sure someone was selling out " grandpas gun stuff" and just stuck dies where they fit and sold it. Kinda sad, but at least it found a good home. It houses my 4 most common case mouth expanding dies now which it just so happens are all covered by the shell holders that came with the press.

Pressman
10-31-2019, 12:36 PM

This for the Green Frog, just to warm his heart.

Walks
10-31-2019, 12:56 PM
Every time I get on Cast Boolits it takes me back in time.
My Dad had Tru-Line Jr, All-American and Comet presses. And A Giant RCBS A-Frame press. Loaded on all of them.

When I started My own reloading set up I could afford a Lyman Spartan. Got an old 310 tool and .270, .30-06 & .300Sav die sets.
Haven't used them in years, but I will keep them forever. One of the few links to My Family.

Hamish
10-31-2019, 06:26 PM

This for the Green Frog, just to warm his heart.

And here I thought I had gone over to the dark side,,,,,,,[smilie=1:

Green Frog
10-31-2019, 07:07 PM
Be still my racing froggie heart! All those Red Heads are mind boggling. I really don't understand there being the huge disparity between the relatively rare RH presses and what should be expected to more common, the TL Jr(??) :?

BTW, I just got in touch once again with CC Johnson's grandson Jerry who has promised to help me track down some of the less known info about the production of the Red Head. We've got a thread going over on the ARTCA Forum about it, but I'll try to keep the Boolit Guys abreast with any good developments on that as well. :coffeecom

Froggie

usmc69
11-11-2019, 05:25 PM
I do own a Tru-Line Jr., but do not use it. It was given to me earlier this summer and is on display in my reloading/gun room. I did start out on a 310 Tool loading .38/357 and .45 ACP. When I got my .44 Mag, I graduated to a Lyman Spar-T. I used that for about a dozen years then picked up a Dillon Square Deal B. I have since gone back to the Lyman fold with the Turret Press with changeable heads.

I my gun library I have many catalogs. One of which is a Herters, when I buy what I think is collectable stuff, I look to see if it is in there first.

Pressman
11-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Everything Herter's is collectible, it's the best, none better.

usmc69
11-11-2019, 06:19 PM
Everything Herter's is collectible, it's the best, none better.

I have two rooms of collectible stuff that are firearms related. Just starting to make room for other things. Just sold a Star reloading press complete with three sets of dies.

Pressman
11-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Should you ever get the opportunity to visit the land of Herter's, stop by and you will see what it really means to have two rooms full of collectible stuff. I have 99.8% of every reloading tool Herter's made.

Ken

rbuck351
11-12-2019, 12:36 AM
I like a lot of the older loading tools and have picked up a few presses just because they were cheap and vintage. I found 2 of the TL jrs for $10 each at a Restore Store. Also picked up several partial dies sets but not sure if I have a complete set of anything yet. Other presses I have managed to get are a Star in 38spl, an old Texan progressive in 12 ga, a CH three die press and a Lyman AA. Today I just bought a Bonanza Co Ax. Some of the older presses are way over engineered and it's fun to use some of these.

Green Frog
11-12-2019, 02:11 PM
I like a lot of the older loading tools and have picked up a few presses just because they were cheap and vintage. I found 2 of the TL jrs for $10 each at a Restore Store. Also picked up several partial dies sets but not sure if I have a complete set of anything yet. Other presses I have managed to get are a Star in 38spl, an old Texan progressive in 12 ga, a CH three die press and a Lyman AA. Today I just bought a Bonanza Co Ax. Some of the older presses are way over engineered and it's fun to use some of these.

Sounds like you are well and truly hooked, rbuck351. Next you’ll be buying die sets for guns you don’t have “yet” and all sorts of neat accessories. Then “just one more” press because of its special features or history, and then, and then... Better run away if you still can! [smilie=w:

Froggie

rbuck351
11-13-2019, 03:45 AM
It's too late, I already have dies with no gun "yet", more powder throwers, scales, presses and other loading equipment than makes any sense. Today I picked up the Bonanza CO AX from the auction place that came with two scales, two powder measures and a few other bits and pieces for $40. I am hooked and just can't resist a good deal.

Green Frog
11-13-2019, 08:44 AM
It's too late, I already have dies with no gun "yet", more powder throwers, scales, presses and other loading equipment than makes any sense. Today I picked up the Bonanza CO AX from the auction place that came with two scales, two powder measures and a few other bits and pieces for $40. I am hooked and just can't resist a good deal.

Welcome to the club! :mrgreen:

Froggie

44magLeo
11-23-2019, 01:13 PM
On the Tru Line JR they made full length size dies. Are they marked as such.
I ask because I have seen a lot of 310 dies the ads call full length size dies. A lot or for bottle neck rifle dies. Some for straight wall pistol cases.
I looked at one for a 38/357. In one pic it showed the top of the dies. It wasn't threaded. I could see some writing on the die. I couldn't really see it well but could make an FL at the end.
I assume this one may be advertised right. Just wanted to check with the experts on this.
I have a 310 set for 38/357. adding the FL die is an interesting idea.
There is also a .358 bullet size die advertised. I think they want too much for that.
I also saw an old Lyman Shell Trimmer. This is interesting too. I may buy this.
Does it work well. It looks simple to use.
Leo

Green Frog
11-23-2019, 07:38 PM
Full length case sizing dies were only made for some straight sided cases (mostly pistol calibers) and will be marked FL in all cases I have seen. Don't let some yo yo sell you a bullet sizing die as a full length case sizing die! Also, it is not a good idea to try to FL size with 310 handles... not enough leverage.

Froggie

PS AFAIK, Lyman didn't make FL TL Jr sizing dies for bottle neck cases... if they did, they were very rare!

kootne
11-23-2019, 08:57 PM
Full length case sizing dies were only made for some straight sided cases (mostly pistol calibers) and will be marked FL in all cases I have seen. Don't let some yo yo sell you a bullet sizing die as a full length case sizing die! Also, it is not a good idea to try to FL size with 310 handles... not enough leverage.

Froggie

PS AFAIK, Lyman didn't make FL TL Jr sizing dies for bottle neck cases... if they did, they were very rare!

Froggie, I am holding in my hot little non amphibian hands, a die marked, "LYMAN 25/20 SS FL. Appears unused.
Other stuff in the Black and Gray Lyman box; #6 Truline shell holder, #49 310 priming die, 25/20 RPTR seating die, #12 bushing, .257 310 neck expander, (2) decappers for the FL die, one w/o an expander ball and one with a .257 expander ball.
Hope this does not make you even greener.

Green Frog
11-24-2019, 08:55 AM
No, but it does remind me that with all things Lyman, “never say never!” I’m wondering, though, what the heck was Lyman doing selling a “set” for 25-20 SS in the black and grey box era??? I wonder whether they threw together stuff that would work for a special order or whether the contents of the box are just what somebody put together for themselves. BTW, the PC for that SS should be a #19. Could that be what you have? I’ve never hear of a PC numbered over 30.

As I’ve been typing, I recall seeing reference in some of the old catalogs to the availability of a “limited number” of FL sizers for some small rifle cartridges. Since the 25-20 SS is tapered rather than bottle necked, it would be a good candidate. Your FL sizing die is definitely a rare item though.

Froggie

kootne
11-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Froggie, I think the primer may be a #19. The numbers are very small and the serif on the 1 is comparatively quite large, thus my mistaken eyewitness account.
None of the markings on the box are stamped but the end is written 25/20SS and the top is written 3 lines in a different hand, FL, 25/20SS tong & jr, JR S. HOLDER
I got them not long ago on the Swap and Sell of this site for about $45.

Green Frog
11-24-2019, 05:36 PM
“Curiouser and curiouser.” A great find for a 25-20 SS shooter or a collector of Lyman esoterica. Congrats!

Froggie

Pressman
11-24-2019, 06:20 PM
Ideal/Lyman is probably the most intruiging tools to collect as there seems to be no end to the odd variations and one off's that yield no rational explanation for why?? As in an un-numbered for caliber tong tool. We may never solve that puzzle.

44magLeo
11-25-2019, 01:33 PM
From what I understand about how firearms and related equipment manufacturers did things back then you could order almost anything.
So with that in mind a lot of the odd stuff that comes up would explain the "why". Lots of people think they have an idea that is better than what the factories make. Wildcats as they are called now. Manufactures would build equipment for those ideas.
Back then companies were run by gun people and would do these things. Now they are run by bean counters that won't.
There are specialized companies out there that will help you build your dream. If you can afford it.
Leo

44magLeo
12-03-2019, 02:03 PM
I did buy the Ideal Shell trimmer. It is interesting. It really fits well with the 310 and Tru Line Jr tools.
You can rough adjust for length with the screw that holds the pieces together. The cutter slips in from one end.
On the other end from the cutter is a small knob with a hole through the middle. A bit smaller than a small primer. You set an unprimed down over this knob.
The cutter has interchangeable pilots. The pilots have what looks like a decapping pin on the end. I assume this pin slips through the primer hole, then through the knob in the primer hole.
This will help keep the case straight when cutting.
The one pilot I have fits inside of a 22 caliber case. I tried it on some range pick up 223 cases. Seems to cut just fine.
The pilots are a slip fit up into the cutter head and a set screw holds them in place. It wouldn't be hard to make them. I might try that. Drilling the hole for the pin won't be hard. Turning down the end that goes up into the cutter will be tough.
I have the pilots for the Lee trimmer, I'll have to see if they fit.
Ah, Yes they will. The threaded portion of the Lee pilot just fits into the cutter, and is long enough to reach the set screw. I don't have to make any.
with the Lee trimmer you can't easily adjust the trim length. The case holder prevents that. Using the Lee pilots in this trimmer the pin has nothing to stop against. The adjustments on the frame and the cutter allow you to trim to the length you need.
On the cutter is a threaded lock ring to fine tune the length.
Holding it in your hand works. You have to hold the case in place. The tool has no way to lock the cases in place. This is a bit awkward, you can hold the tool in a vise. This will make it pretty much like a bench mounted trimmer.
I guess I ought to get some pics to post.
Leo

Wayne Smith
12-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Yes, pics please. That sounds intriguing.

Pressman
12-04-2019, 09:00 PM
I really think everyone with a 310 or Tru-Line Jr should have one of the old Ideal trimmers. They are complimentary to each other.

Ken

44magLeo
12-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Here are some pics.
#1 is the parts. #1 is the handle to turn the cutter head. #2 is the Pilot. #3 is the cutter head. #4 is the frame. The knurled knob on the bottom is for the coarse adjustment.
#2 is parts 1,2,3 put together.
#3 shows the hole the cutter goers into.
#4 shows the knob the primer pocket sets over.
#5 shows the fine adjustment nut.
#6 shows with the case in place as you would when trimming.
Holding everything in place by hand to trim is possible but much easier if once adjusted you mout the frame in a vise. This way you only have to hold the case.
Leo

uscra112
12-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Thanks for that. I didn't even know that tool existed.

Wayne Smith
12-08-2019, 03:36 PM
Nor did I. I don't remember seeing it in any of my old catalogues either.

Pressman
12-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Wayne, if you have 310's you need one.

richhodg66
12-08-2019, 10:07 PM
I have a True Line Jr that is in great shape and came to me with heads to use standard dies and the 310 dies. I have never used it.

The plan was to set up my Lee four die set for .22 Hornet and leave it set up. I've kind of let loading for the Hornet slip, still using ammo I loaded a long time ago, but I will get this press set up. Recently got into the .218 Bee and .25-20 so may need to set up dies for those too.

Green Frog
12-08-2019, 10:31 PM
I have a True Line Jr that is in great shape and came to me with heads to use standard dies and the 310 dies. I have never used it.

The plan was to set up my Lee four die set for .22 Hornet and leave it set up. I've kind of let loading for the Hornet slip, still using ammo I loaded a long time ago, but I will get this press set up. Recently got into the .218 Bee and .25-20 so may need to set up dies for those too.

Fortunately, neither of those calibers is all that hard to find on flea Bay, etc. BTW, since they are usually neck size only, I know of folks who have loaded both 25-20 SS and WCS with the same dies. If you start with a set of WCF dies, I can just about guarantee it will work for both.

Froggie

richhodg66
12-08-2019, 10:47 PM
Fortunately, neither of those calibers is all that hard to find on flea Bay, etc. BTW, since they are usually neck size only, I know of folks who have loaded both 25-20 SS and WCS with the same dies. If you start with a set of WCF dies, I can just about guarantee it will work for both.

Froggie

My plan is to use the tool head that uses standard dies. I do have a 310 set for .22 Hornet, and somewhere in my Dad's stuff is a .310 set for .25-20 Single shot, which I didn't inherit a rifle so chambered (though he had several at one time), I'm gonna hold on to those.

I only neck size Hornet and will likely do the same for the Bee and .25-20. Seems like that little press ought to be perfect for those little cartridges.

Wayne Smith
12-09-2019, 10:10 AM
I have 310's and a couple of TrueLine Jr's - I'll keep looking! That's why I asked for pics.

44magLeo
12-10-2019, 08:22 PM
I have a Lyman 46th manual. In there is a chapter on the Lyman history. Not complete of course but covers a lot of their tooling.
I think reading that book when I first got started was where I saw this trimmer. They also used to market quite a few tools they don't now.
Leo

Green Frog
12-10-2019, 10:41 PM
I’ve read everything about Lyman and Ideal history I have been able to get my hands on, and this is my first hint about this tool. It could have made it by me if it was in a borrowed book I read fast, but I doubt it. I don’t think it had a very long run. :|

Froggie

Pressman
12-10-2019, 10:48 PM
It's written up in one of the Journals you have. Bentramrod did a nice article about it and how it works.

Green Frog
12-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Thanks, pressman. I obviously haven’t thoroughly been through all of them yet. Can you tell me the approximate time frame of production of this unit? How about numbers produced? I can’t believe it has totally eluded me all these years... as you know, I thrive on weird! [smilie=l:

Froggie

44magLeo
12-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Green Frog, do you have access to a Lyman 46th loading manual? It's in there, honest.
This isn't the first one I've seen on Ebay. After getting as much Ideal.Lyman 310/ Tru Line JR stuff over the last couple years this item seemed like a good adition to the collection.
I'm adding 310/Tru Line JR bullet size dies and shell size dies for the calibers I load for.
Leo

Pressman
12-11-2019, 01:03 PM
I have not tried to narrow it down to years produced, other than the 1950's/60's. I am sure production ceased with the Leisure Products take over in '69.

Green Frog
12-12-2019, 08:56 AM
It's written up in one of the Journals you have. Bentramrod did a nice article about it and how it works.

Thanks, Ken. I found the article in the Oct 2015 issue that I assume you are referring to. I don’t have a clue how I’ve missed this item all these years, but that’s why I keep coming back! :coffeecom

After having studied the article closely, I’ve decided that it would look good on my shelf to display, but as I’ve said before, I work hardest to get tools I can actually see myself using, and if said tools are classic or at least sort of old, so much the better. This one looks a little too tedious to use compared to the lathe-type like a Forster. :mrgreen:

Froggie

Pressman
12-12-2019, 11:43 AM
You still need one, just because it is so eccentric.

Green Frog
12-12-2019, 08:27 PM
You still need one, just because it is so eccentric.

I resemble that remark! :bigsmyl2:

Green Frog
12-13-2019, 12:35 PM
I must admit that trimming cases to length is not one of the tasks I perform frequently... maybe having that unit sitting on the shelf available to trim cases at a moment's notice would reduce the frequency to none! This could be a good thing. :bigsmyl2:

Froggie