PDA

View Full Version : H&R trapdoors, where are the markings located?

edp2k
10-24-2019, 11:43 PM
Hi :)

At a gun show a few months ago I was looking at a trapdoor carbine which appeared to be a modern reproduction
and was in like new condition.

However neither I nor the vendor at the table (an old friend and knowledgeable individual)
could find a makers mark.

So my (probably dumb) question is, where on a H&R trapdoor are the maker's marks located?
Are they in an obvious location?
What about for a Pedersoli or Uberti trapdoor?

if those three makers have their markings in an obvious spot,
does anyone have any idea of what maker's trapdoor I was looking at?

Thanks,
edp2k :)

Kraschenbirn
10-25-2019, 08:25 PM
Pulled my H&R carbine out of the safe; Barrel is marked "H&R...etc." on the right-hand side, right below the read sight dovetail...or, in the case of my gun, right below the genuine 1879 "C" sight.

Left-hand side of receiver is marked "Cavalry Model" in script.

No idea about "maker's marks" on Uberti or Pedersoli trapdoors; have never actually handled either. However, my Pedersoli RB is marked "David Pedersoli & Co. Gardone, Italy" on the left-hand side of the barrel, just forward of the receiver.

Bill

Note: Other than the "Officer's Model', H&Rs came from the factory with a Mickey Mouse Marble rear sight. From the catalogue pics, Pedersolis have a reproduction of the 1879 sight and Ubertis carry a repro of the original 1873 sight.

koger
10-25-2019, 10:14 PM
H & R's also had a Little Bighorn model. This model had nice walnut stock, only a tang Vernier sight. It featured beautiful case hardening on all the furniture, the breech block, and the lock, all had great case and engraving on all the furniture. I know because I have one that I recently acquired. I can send pics if someone wants to post them for me. The Vernier sight moves up and down, right to left, by unscrewing the eyepiece a turn, and then moving the sight to where you need it. Mine has no markings on the sight, but it is tight and moves very little at a time. Like all the furniture, the whole sight is casehardened also. I was recently shooting a load of 15 grs of Unique powder with a 350gr Lyman/Gould HP I cast. The first shots were about 8" low and pretty well centered. I loosened the eyepiece and moved it up what I thought was the correct amount. I aimed at the black 2" center of a 10"clanger circle I have hung over there. It hit dead center, just at the top of the 2"black, and dead on between 150-175yds. This would be a great deer hunting load, in fact I plan on filling my last doe tag, with said load and a original trapdoor made in 1884.

edp2k
10-26-2019, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the feedback :)