PDA

View Full Version : Scoped Hawken Dilemma

Theditchman
10-22-2019, 10:20 PM
I have a cpl of T/C Hawken barrels with scope mounts but when I have installed several different scopes the scope eye piece is still six inches from my eye making it quite useless.
Is there something I am missing??...or is this just the way it is and the makers expected me to have an 15 inch long neck?..Does anyone else have this problem??? or is there a fix and I just dont know it??...Do you think a pistol scope would work??

country gent
10-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Several things you might try. A different scope long eye relief or Intermediate eye relief. I have had a low power handgun scope mounted on my renegade, I believe its a 2 1/2X. This is a smaller more compact svope that avtually looks better and more "scaled" to the rifle. It also mounted lower working better with the existing comb

oldracer
10-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Due to the breech plug, hammers assembly, and trigger the area to mount a scope is far more forward than normal. That is why you see the long range shooters, I.E. slug gun shooters use Unertl scopes as they have a lot of the scope tube aft of the rear mount. If you can't find a Unertl, try a copy as they are easily available.
John

Themoose
10-23-2019, 10:40 AM
TC used to make a detachable mount that gave you normal positioning of the scope. I had one years ago and worked well. Sold it with rifle and new owner loved the combo

Buzzard II
10-23-2019, 12:20 PM
There are several scope mounts for the Thompson Center. Without pictures it is hard to say, but from your description you have the forward style mount which would take a long eye relief handgun scope. T/C did in fact make a 3 piece scope mount wherein you could remove the scope for cleaning. It's no longer available new and online prices are usually steep. I would look for a good used long eye relief pistol scope. Good luck.
Bob

pietro
10-23-2019, 04:05 PM

FYI - "IER" = Intermediate Eye Relief; "LER" = Long Eye Relief.

Check online for the eye-relief specs of any prospective scope for one that will fit YOUR specific needs.

Before doing that, however - have someone measure the distance from your shooting eye to any mounted scope while you hold the rifle in shooting position.

That should give you pretty good idea of how much eye relief you'll need. :drinks:

While most scopes list an eye relief DISTANCE (3", 3-1/2", 4", 5" 7", etc), handgun scopes will have an eye relief WINDOW (9"-17" or 11"-21").

Also, there are "Scout" scopes that have an eye relief distance in the 7-/12" to 9" range (depending upon maker).

I've used a longer eye relief (handgun and/or scout) scope on several different rifles, and can tell you that a fixed/low power scope works better than a higher power or variable scope.

FWIW, I learned the hard way about this issue - buying/trying then selling scopes until I hit the right scope for me, before I figured out the measuring/eye relief specs before buying thing. [smilie=b:

Theditchman
10-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the info