PDA

View Full Version : A little too fast...perhaps, for a .50.

BK7saum
10-22-2019, 09:37 PM
I have worked up a load in my .50RB that might be a little too fast for the alloy and style of bullet, a big ole hollowpoint. I plan to cast a cup point or WFN bullet the next casting session and they will be powder coated as well. Velocity is right around 2000 fps, with a wide es of about 170 fps. Still need to work that out. I'm using a water dropped range lead alloy.

The 465 grain checked and powder coated boolit looked like a thick nickel after recovery from a dense damp clay berm. It did weigh 150 grains, more or less, I can't remember the exact weight. It is an MP 512-640 style boolit mold. I'll post a pic or two when I get a chance.

I plan don't want to shoot a deer through the shoulders, but a double lung shouldn't be too bad. I'd really like to shoot a big boar and see his reaction to the shot. Probably wouldn't be able to with the recoil, it's not too bad but a pretty big push. I will probably check the wound track and see the destruction.

The rifle weighs around 12 lbs, I'm guessing, I haven't weighed it yet. It has a 26" barrel with a 0.950 muzzle, Remington 700 long action. This is my first big bore bolt action, I've had a ruger no.1 45-70 and Marlin 1895 before, but neither really suited me. Figured I'd just go all in with a .50 and be able to shoot surplus bmg bullets. I do have an M8API load that'll run around 1500fps. They do flash on hard targets down to 1000 or 1100 fps, too. Just a fun range toy at the moment, but I definitely want to take some game with it.

Valornor
10-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Sounds like a fun little thumper. What is the 50RB based on?

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

BK7saum
10-22-2019, 09:56 PM
50 razorback, 300 RUM cut to 2.375". basically a 50 alaskan plus 0.275"

Oops, cant get any photos to upload. I dont host them anymore and probably too big to load to CB site.