PDA

View Full Version : Pulled real bone head move, think I did any damage?

Patrick L
10-22-2019, 08:19 PM
I did a real stupid thing tonight cleaning a rifle.

On my cast guns, part of my cleaning regimen is at the end of the brushing cycle, I run a stainless steel bore brush for ONE pass through the bore. While cleaning my .223 Howa 1500, I somehow got confused an put the .25 cal stainless brush on the rod. Of course it got stuck, and there was no way I could reverse it to pull it out. I ended up taking a mallet, and with light taps was able to run it all the way from breech to muzzle.

My question, do you think that one single pass of a stainless .25 cal bor brush up a .22 bore would have damaged anything?

tomme boy
10-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Scratched it. I only use the SS brushes on old milsurp barrels when I first get them.

jeffugreene
10-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Shoot it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richhodg66
10-22-2019, 08:31 PM
Shoot it

Yep. You'll probably find it didn't do anything.

jeffugreene
10-22-2019, 08:35 PM
Think about it. If you were in the trenches and the enemy were charging, you dropped your last round in the mud and your didn’t have to clean it. Send it! It’ll be fine, over thinking it

JWFilips
10-22-2019, 08:51 PM
You're fine! Don't worry about it!

JBinMN
10-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Learned from it. Don't repeat it.
;)

You & the firearm will be just fine.
:)

GhostHawk
10-22-2019, 09:03 PM
No SS brushes in my house, and the copper ones very rarely get used.

Only for extreme cases of leading, And even then I got more lead out faster with ATF and a very tight patch followed by a tight dry patch, repeat as needed.

But everyone does things their own way.

Shoot it, chances are all will be ok.

nicholst55
10-22-2019, 09:10 PM
I would throw the stainless steel brushes in the trash, personally. There are too many alternatives to them available that have less potential to damage your bore.

Winger Ed.
10-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Should be fine.

SS brushes are way more aggressive than I want to use in a bore.
I keep a couple to clean inside case necks, but have gone to the nylon ones for barrels.

country gent
10-22-2019, 09:42 PM
With the added force to get it thru the smaller bore and with the small dia rod for a 22 I would be more concerned with rod damage from the rod springing. But here I would also shoot it and see. Use a known load and test to see if it groups the same as before

largom
10-22-2019, 09:58 PM
Probably no harm done. Shoot to see if it groups same as before, If no, then shoot a few "fire-lap" boolits thru it.
Get rid of stainless bore brushes!
Larry

Bazoo
10-22-2019, 10:18 PM
I vote, keep your SS brushes, but stop using them unless needed for a neglected bore. I doubt you did any damage, less so if you were using solvent. The bristles would have layed so the tips would be less likely to scratch.

Texas by God
10-22-2019, 11:11 PM
If it is scratched it will soon be smooth again courtesy of those 3000+ fps 55gr polishers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Traffer
10-22-2019, 11:16 PM
You are good. Don't worry about that kind of stuff.

Patrick L
10-23-2019, 07:22 AM
I agree, SS literally only gets used for ONE pass at the end of the cleaning cycle. Otherwise it's normal (copper?) brushes, and even those sparingly.

Yes the bore was wet with solvent.

I won't get around to shooting it till spring probably. It's my Highpower rifle, and that season has wrapped up. From your feedback, I'm feeling this will be OK, just a lesson learned!

Thank you for all the replies!

cwlongshot
10-23-2019, 07:39 AM
I would throw the stainless steel brushes in the trash, personally. There are too many alternatives to them available that have less potential to damage your bore.

^^^ THIS^^^

NO STAINLESS STEEL EVER NEEDED HERE!!!

Leading removes multiple other methods that wont damage rifling. So what it it requires multi strokes with a bronze brush!?!?!

The gun isnt ruined, even if likely deeply scratched. But it sure will foul quicker and you added many thousands of rounds of wear and shortened its life span. Simply not worth a simple mistake that ANY AND ALL will/have made. Live and learn.

CW

Petrol & Powder
10-23-2019, 07:44 AM
Patrick L - I wouldn't even use a stainless steel bush for that single pass through the barrel. It's just not needed and there are far better alternatives. Toss those SS brushes out.

I doubt you did much damage but if there was damage, it's done now. Let it go.

Even when I'm trying to clean old, neglected military surplus rifles with ugly bores, I avoid SS brushes.

swheeler
10-23-2019, 10:02 AM
I doubt you did any real damage but wouldn't use any SS brush unless it is Tornado style. The plastic brushes just seem to last longer than the phosphor bronze ones even with ED's Red, if you use Sweets or another copper remover plastic is the only way to go.

Green Frog
10-23-2019, 10:09 AM
I agree, SS literally only gets used for ONE pass at the end of the cleaning cycle. Otherwise it's normal (copper?) brushes, and even those sparingly.

Yes the bore was wet with solvent.

I won't get around to shooting it till spring probably. It's my Highpower rifle, and that season has wrapped up. From your feedback, I'm feeling this will be OK, just a lesson learned!

Thank you for all the replies!

I’d say you have an excuse to look for a nice day and get thee out to the range to try it out again. Take a good rest and plenty of ammo so you can make a day of it and test your rifle thoroughly. You will then have reassured yourself (or found out you need to install a new barrel during the off season :( ) so either way, you’ll know for sure. Also you’ll have a day at the range, where even a bad day is better than a good day at work!). Just a guess, but the bore will probably be OK, so it will be a win-win! When you get it home, clean properly without the stainless brush!

Froggie

mdi
10-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Did you look in the bore? Rifle barrels are not perfectly finished and many have machining, or forging marks in the bore. If you can see gouges, rather than just light scratches, mebbe a lapping would be called for...

WILCO
10-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Reminds me of the time I got a lead boolit stuck in the bore........

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-23-2019, 12:17 PM
I did a real stupid thing tonight cleaning a rifle.

On my cast guns, part of my cleaning regimen is at the end of the brushing cycle, I run a stainless steel bore brush for ONE pass through the bore. While cleaning my .223 Howa 1500, I somehow got confused an put the .25 cal stainless brush on the rod. Of course it got stuck, and there was no way I could reverse it to pull it out. I ended up taking a mallet, and with light taps was able to run it all the way from breech to muzzle.

My question, do you think that one single pass of a stainless .25 cal bor brush up a .22 bore would have damaged anything?

just curious, what is the purpose of this?

Victor N TN
10-23-2019, 12:53 PM
Learned from it. Don't repeat it.
;)

You & the firearm will be just fine.
:)

Everything is fine, I'm sure. But I'll almost bet you don't have any leading now.

leadhead
10-23-2019, 12:58 PM
It's almost impossible to reverse any bore brush once it's started through the bore.
I've used ss brushes in most of my rifles and handguns over the years and have
had no problems with "scratching the bore" in any of them.... and I'm talking guns
I used in competition. I didn't make a habit out of it but never had one damage a
bore.
Denny

Dimner
10-23-2019, 02:12 PM
throw the SS brushes away and pick up a couple of these. Get a used, worn out bronze 22 cal brush and add some of the copper 'fibers' from the chore boy and use that on your last pass if you feel the need.

Chore Boy 100% copper. Other brands might be plated. Use a magnet to determine if they are plated.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51UsFceAlUL._SX466_.jpg

swheeler
10-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't you think they would make the brushes out of stainless that is softer than 416 stainless, which is softer than 4140-50 chrome moly anyway? Or are you thinking they just don't care if you ruin a barrel, just doesn't sound right to me?

Patrick L
10-23-2019, 03:01 PM
My thinking was that that one pass would just give the final little"scrub" to any especially tough bit of leading. Remember in the original post I said Ido this in my cast boolit rifles.

I guess, judging by the consensus here, I'm really not accomplishing anything and possibly hurting something.

Smoke4320
10-23-2019, 03:21 PM
No worries mate.... my Australian cultural appropriation for the day :)
I don't think one pass thru did any lasting damage. Of course all is answered with paper, powder and bullets and fun!!
Oil it up... bring it out when you can and shoot a couple groups

redhawk0
10-23-2019, 03:58 PM
You're fine...the SS is likely softer than your barrel. But I agree with the others...get rid of the SS brushes...get Bronse/Copper from now on.

redhawk