PDA

View Full Version : That felt good

brewer12345
10-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Haven't had time to cast since the spring. Was out of 45 acp boolits and needed to cast some 9mm pills. Sat down and banged out 52 pounds of keepers. I have more casting to do before winter closes in, but it sure was nice to get things going again.

Valornor
10-22-2019, 08:01 PM
I envy you, I’d pay to be able to pull my casting stuff from storage and cast up a lot. One day I’ll have the space....

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Treetop
10-22-2019, 09:02 PM
My smelting and casting calendar is just the opposite from yours, down here in central Texas, Brewer. Due to the summer heat, I try to do all of my casting, etc. between December and March every year.

Like you, I mis-calculated my 9mm and .45 ACP needs this summer so I had to cast 400-500 of each in July! It wasn't real bad because I cast from about midnight to 3 AM to avoid the worst of the heat. Semper Fi, TreeTop

brewer12345
10-22-2019, 09:13 PM
It isn't so much the weather keeping me from casting in the summer as it is schedule. The kids are out of school and have to be entertained, my business travel is basically April through September, etc. I tend to not have time for much in the summer and this year I prioritized range time with muzzleloaders because I was trying to learn how to shoot them well enough for deer season.

tankgunner59
10-23-2019, 07:28 PM
I was just talking to my wife about a ladle on the wall of a local restaurant and she asked about my casting. I told her that I need to get back into casting some pills up. I deal better with colder weather than hot. So I'll be casting for the next couple of days.

Green Frog
10-23-2019, 08:30 PM
I had to get ready for the N-SSA Fall Nationals, so I cast up about 100 each Minnie balls for my musket and .515 gr bullets for my carbine. Then last weekend I ran a very short run of two different 25 caliber Schützen bullets to have a friend use making inserts for my lube pump. :cbpour:

Each time I finished one of these tasks I felt good and thought to myself, “I’ve got to get back to doing some serious casting... more Minies and and carbine bullets, more schuetzen bullets in 25 and 32, and a bunch more pistol bullets in 32 and 38. I now have two Lee pots (20#) and an old 10# Lyman so I can keep different alloys in pots and ready to heat up and go. :)

Hanzy4200
10-25-2019, 03:32 PM
This is my favorite time of your for casting. Nice and cool. Cast now, then load through the cold, dark winter months. Come spring I've got a few 5-6K of loaded ammo. I cast if needed all year, but you need to be extra careful in summer. 85+F and a hot pot leads to sweat. One drop at the wrong moment and you're visiting the tinsel fairy.

Walter Laich
10-25-2019, 04:16 PM
another Texan that started back a couple of weeks ago. Cast over 120 lbs in three days. Got them powder coated and sized and am feeling much better

now to settle into a more relaxed casting routine a couple of times a week

Froogal
10-25-2019, 05:05 PM
I did some casting the last 2 days. Even tried out a brand new mold for making wadcutters. It made perfect bullets right from the start. Now I need more lead.