PDA

View Full Version : C stock forend wood addition

samari46
10-20-2019, 01:00 AM
Have a C stock that someone cut back on the front of the forend and I have some well dried rosewood that I can use. Roughtly 2"x2" thick and just outside of just epoxy glueing it in place. I figured there has ti be a better way of installing the rosewood. Dowels maybe?.I've have a clamp made up pf two pieces 3/8" all thread and two pieces of 2x4 about 10" long with holes for all thread.nut and lock washer on the bottom of the two pieces of all thread insert 1st set the stock an stick the second 2x4 and it sits on the forend tighten real tight and forget about it for about a week. I usually hang it from the ceiling in my garage to let the epoxy to cure. Tell me about the dowels. I gave 1/4",3/8" dowels. Thanks Frank And how long should the piece be thats the forend tip be, I was thinking 2"
I have locktite marine two part epoxy.Frank

georgerkahn
10-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Good luck with your project! I had a 1903 a few years back, where bubba had cut off the "other end". I found a comparable stock, did what I thought was a stellar job of cutting to hopefully make an almost invisible glue line, and was faced with a similar challenge as yours. I had an inspiration with some 1/4" aluminum machine bolts I had in junk box, which I cut the heads off and trimmed to (I think?) about an inch and one-half each. I put dowel centres in rifle part, ever so carefully placed my add-on, and whacked it with a mallet to have centres for drilling mating piece. Knowing there's NO way I could drill all four holes to precisely same angle, I believe -- after drilling 1/8" pilot holes -- I increased to 9/32". Many years before Gorilla glue, etc., were thought of, I used Dev-Con 5 minute epoxy, and used my awesome clamp system: A half-dozen rubber bands to hold it together. (Put a C-clamp an inch or so on rifle; stretch the rubber bands from one side, over new piece, and back to C-clamp; you might be able to do similar on your nose-piece repair). I just stood now-glued rifle on an old towel, and left it overnight. It held great, and my only regret was not keeping ahead of a smidgeon of epoxy which squished out and was a challenge to remove -- so, I recommend if you go this route, keep wiping glue joint with fresh paper towels before it hardens. (This rifle was traded... I no longer have it... in retrospect, I know no reason why it may not still be OK)
geo

samari46
10-21-2019, 01:45 AM
My clamp is a home made affair. two 3' lenghts of 3/8 threaded screw stock with a bunch of nuts and washers. and two short lengths of 2"x4" with two holes drilled all the way through for the threaded rod.Stick the threaded rod through one 2x4 and use the nuts and washers to keep one bottom 2x3 in plaice. the stock on the bottom 2x4.Then slide the remaining 2x4 over the stock and start tightening the washers and nuts. Don't be afraid of over tightening the nuts this is where the clamping pressure comes from.I've used this home made press or clamp when adding wood where someone has trimmed back the buttstock. So I'm sure it will still work in this case. All I need is the instructions is for the installation of the nose piece.I was going to start with a 2x2" piece but if you think its too long let me know. Thanks Frank