PDA

View Full Version : Update On my scale issues

poppy42
10-18-2019, 10:07 PM
First off I want to thank everyone that responded to my previous post with suggestions on a new digital scale. Well on the advice of a friend I called Lyman to ask if there was a way to possibly reset the scale back to factory defaults. Well much to my Surprise the technician asked for a four digit code on the back of the scale. when I read it back to him he asked for my name and address so they could ship me a new scale free of charge ! Ain’t Lyman customer service great ! I was so surprised that I asked the tech to repeat himself twice you’ve got to do what? I said. Anyway this is the reason I don’t buy offbrand items, or just about anything for that matter, on fleabay. Anyway guys, thanks again for all the responses. they would all greatly appreciated!

Tom W.
10-18-2019, 11:35 PM
I never heard of Lyman being so generous. Maybe they read the reviews?

poppy42
10-18-2019, 11:53 PM
I never heard of Lyman being so generous. Maybe they read the reviews?

I don’t know what it was. I was shocked. I expected them to say it’s broke you need to buy a new one. But nope, I quote “ we’ll send you a new one” . I’m certainly not complaining, maybe it was my charming personality on the phone LOL

TNsailorman
10-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Back in the 60's, Lyman sold great equipment and stood behind what they sold. I hope that your experience means they are going back to their better days. james

mdi
10-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Never had any problems with the Lyman tools/equipment I used, but the tech asking for the code makes me think there was a problem with a series/model of scale and they were replacing them. Good customer service.

oldhenry
10-19-2019, 01:46 PM
I've never had any problems with Lyman products. In 1960 I bought a Comet press, .38-40 dies, Ideal 1 cav. .38-40 mold, cast iron 10 lb. pot, their cast iron heat deflecting ring, dipper & a used #45 lube-sizer & I was in hog heaven. Later on a friend gave me a Lyman 10 lb. bottom pour pot that had a bad heat element & 2 2-cav. Lyman molds #358432 & #358156. I replaced that heat element & was sure enough in hog heaven then. Later I added molds (all Lyman). I gave the Lyman bottom pour to my son when I was given a RCBS Pro melt.....it's still going.

I now have molds from most of the manufacturers. I have 5 Lyman 4 cav. molds now & they work just as well as my 4 SAECO 4 cav. molds (the SAECOs are lighter & easier to use since my hand strength isn't what it once was). I still use the cast iron pot, the cast iron heat deflecting ring & the dipper when I smelt (that heat deflecting ring...….is it manufactured by anyone now?).

Lyman help me get into this crazy hobby as a young man (boy?) & for this I'm thankful.

I realize that some have had issues, but I have no complaints.

Henry