PDA

View Full Version : Rhineland Barrel Questions

brstevns
10-16-2019, 11:51 AM
I ordered a Rhineland Arms 45 acp kit with Military Barrel. When installing the barrel on a Mexican 1910 small ring 98 action I still have barrel threads showing. Barrel is already hitting inside receiver stop collar so it cannot go any farther, is this normal with their conversions? See picture.

waksupi
10-16-2019, 12:25 PM
It needs to be properly fit and re-chambered.

405grain
10-16-2019, 02:24 PM
The important thing here is if your getting the proper head space. A barrel that sets headspace with a lock collar is different than a standard Mauser barrel that screws up tight against the "C" ring. The quick fix for your situation is to adjust your barrel for the proper head space and then snug up the lock ring. Then measure the gap between the locking ring and the shoulder of the barrel. Then have a spacer made up that's the same diameter as the lock ring, and is the right thickness to take up the gap. Once everything's in place the barrel should look OK. However, if you are able to screw in the barrel until it butts against the C ring, and it's still not in far enough for the cartridge to headspace properly, then you've got a major headache that may require machine work & re-chambering.

brstevns
10-16-2019, 02:59 PM
The important thing here is if your getting the proper head space. A barrel that sets headspace with a lock collar is different than a standard Mauser barrel that screws up tight against the "C" ring. The quick fix for your situation is to adjust your barrel for the proper head space and then snug up the lock ring. Then measure the gap between the locking ring and the shoulder of the barrel. Then have a spacer made up that's the same diameter as the lock ring, and is the right thickness to take up the gap. Once everything's in place the barrel should look OK. However, if you are able to screw in the barrel until it butts against the C ring, and it's still not in far enough for the cartridge to headspace properly, then you've got a major headache that may require machine work & re-chambering.

I was thinking the same.

M-Tecs
10-16-2019, 03:35 PM
Rhineland Arms uses the same barrel nut system as Savage. http://www.troupsystems.com/product/mauser-45-acp-military-barrel/

What you are seeing is normal for that system.

brstevns
10-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Rhineland Arms uses the same barrel nut system as Savage. http://www.troupsystems.com/product/mauser-45-acp-military-barrel/

What you are seeing is normal for that system.

You mean there should be 2 or 3 threads showing after the nut is tightened down? That is what I am getting.

roverboy
10-16-2019, 07:44 PM
You mean there should be 2 or 3 threads showing after the nut is tightened down? That is what I am getting.

Yes its possible that happens sometimes even after good headspacing. With the Savage rifles there will be several threads a lot of times showing after the barrel is headspaced but, the lock nut that Savage makes covers it. Like 405grain said, have a spacer made that fits snug.

roverboy
10-16-2019, 07:45 PM
A Rhineland is gonna be my next project. I need to ask a friend about an action though.

Ajohns
10-17-2019, 07:53 AM
Not gonna say you get what you pay for, but? I bought their 35 Rem barrel and although it didn't have threads showing when installed on an 1895 Chilean, the chamber was cut less than good. If 35 brass is harder to come by, reaming mine out proper saved that. Head area bulged and the neck had chatter. Needed to go about .015 deeper to fix it. But man, one of these 45 conversions is so tempting.

Remiel
10-17-2019, 08:18 AM
This is not giving me confidence in doing my 35rem project .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Larry Gibson
10-17-2019, 09:41 AM
The Rhineland barrel shanks are threaded long enough to fit into the deeper threaded M93 - M96 actions. Your M98 SR action is not threaded as deep because of it's internal collar as mentioned. Thus the excess threading sticks out.

A simple washer could easily be made. Make it the width, or a tudge wider, of the excess threads showing and place it between receiver and nut. You could shorten and rechamber the barrel but be cognoscente of the barrel oal....don't want it shorter than 16".

brstevns
10-17-2019, 12:19 PM
Headspace is fine. just gong to cover the threads. It did have me worried there for a moment