PDA

View Full Version : Sabots in a slow twist results

RU shooter
10-15-2019, 09:17 PM
A few months ago I asked about sabots using short cast bullets in my 50 cal flinter with a 56 twist . The sabots were the crush rib type a member here sent me to try, bullet were the Lee 200 gr flat nose in 45 cal . These are shorter than the 200 gr Lee reals I tried before in a 45 cal with the same 56 twist so I had some hope . I loaded these with my normal round ball 70 gr of 3F load

The good were they cut nice round holes at 50 yd so they were stable and not keyholing . The bad is accuracy was poor I fired 3 rds with a group in the 1 foot range . The Lee reals never shot great for me but always better than that !

kens
10-15-2019, 09:23 PM
I did some experimenting with my .45 slow twist percussion, 1:66 twist.
I had 45 cal sabots with .40 cal pistol bullets, it was just OK, but a light bullet.
I got surprising results when I used a full bore soft lead pistol bullet, like a .45 Lee flat nose, or Lee truncated cone.
since you mention .50 cal, I say try .50 cal soft lead pistol bullets. like .500 S&W or similar pistol boolit.
and yes, with slow twist the shorter the bullet the better (usually)

roverboy
10-16-2019, 07:48 PM
My uncle had an Investarms .54 Hawken that was supposed to have a 1-66" twist. For some reason it shot conicals good and sabots good. I know that's not supposed to happen but, it did.

RU shooter
10-17-2019, 06:35 AM
My uncle had an Investarms .54 Hawken that was supposed to have a 1-66" twist. For some reason it shot conicals good and sabots good. I know that's not supposed to happen but, it did.
Indeed it can , like I said wanted to give it a try just to see what happened if it would worked I'd have options but I'm happy with round ball , it was worth a shot pun intended .