PDA

View Full Version : Starline hope

zymguy
10-15-2019, 06:29 PM
I see star line has started making 3006. I’m hopeful that will lead to my beloved 280 rem . I would think 35 Whalen 270win and 25 06. Am I overly optimistic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walks
10-15-2019, 11:43 PM
What's wrong with REM, WIN, FED, Hornady and Norma.

Norma makes the Best Brass there is.

dkf
10-16-2019, 09:49 PM

Also at some of the highest prices there is.

Walks
10-17-2019, 03:00 AM
You GET what You pay for.

Hickory
10-17-2019, 05:35 AM
You GET what You pay for.

Yes, and the quality of Starline brass is well known.
Starline wouldn't be making it if there was no demand.

dkf
10-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Yes, and the quality of Starline brass is well known.
Starline wouldn't be making it if there was no demand.

I agree. I have always been happy with Starline brass. One cartridge I shoot, Starline is the only company making brass for it. There is a reason Starline has been expanding their operations and product line. As far as I am concerned the more companies making quality brass the better.

am44mag
10-17-2019, 07:45 PM
I'm excited about Starline moving into the rifle brass market, especially since they make very high quality brass and sell it at a price that is hard to argue with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gpidaho
10-17-2019, 07:58 PM
zymguy: Easy to convert 30-06 brass to the calibers you mention. Gp

Walks
10-18-2019, 02:45 AM
Starline is popular because It's cheaper then everyone else's.

They don't Anneal it as the last step the way other manufacturers do. That's what makes it cheaper.

badgeredd
10-18-2019, 01:07 PM
I would REALLY like to see Starline start making 25-20 Single Shot Basic. Being a bit of an odd duck, it seems like there should be a reasonable market for the Basic configuration to supply the old 25-20 SS rifles as well as the R2 Lovell and other wildcats based on the case. Jamison had some good brass but are no long in business and it appears Captech isn't going to continue making it.

Starline has made a few cases that were sorely needed and may branch out to the 06 based cartridges, but IMHO I would prefer they resurrect some of the basic brass for obsolete cartridges.

Elkins45
10-18-2019, 01:07 PM
My experience is that Starline provides equal or better quality at a lower price. I have never found their brass to be inferior to other brands, and in many cases it is better.

am44mag
10-18-2019, 01:24 PM
My experience is that Starline provides equal or better quality at a lower price. I have never found their brass to be inferior to other brands, and in many cases it is better.I would happily buy Starline over any other brand. Out of the thousands and thousands of pieces of Starline brass I've bought over the years, I can't recall having a single issue with them whatsoever. It seems like it lasts forever too.

gpidaho
10-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Starline brass has always worked well for me. Gp

redhawk0
10-18-2019, 04:39 PM
I buy both 44 Mag and 45-70 Starline....it's good brass. Even if they don't anneal it as the last step....either do it yourself...or get your 10-15 shots out of it and buy more. Only the really hard stuff to find needs to be "babied" to get 25-30 shots out of a piece of brass.

I'm pretty happy with the stuff I've purchased from them. If they now have 30-06...I'll likely buy some of that too.

redhawk

dkf
10-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Apparently some people do not know most manufacturers tumble brass before bagging to make it look pretty. Which removes discoloration from the annealing process.

Texas by God
10-18-2019, 05:54 PM
The 25 - 06 will find out how good that brass is LOL.
Federal brass is good for about 3 Full Tilt loadings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

am44mag
10-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Starline makes some of the best brass out there. I don't know if they do a final annealing on their rifle brass or not, and really I don't care. The stuff lasts a long time as is, and can be had for a bargain price. If I was that concerned about it, I'd do it myself. Starline 6.5 Creedmoor brass is $0.47 a piece. Norma is $1.40 a piece. Guess which one I'm going to pick.

I have no doubt that Norma brass is extremely good brass, but I and most others are not F class shooters with multi-thousand dollar rifles shooting at 1000+ yards. Overly well made and precise brass is not something I'm going to really benefit from. My little $300-$500 rifles shoot great and put meat on the table, but I'm not pushing them to shoot sub MOA at 1000 yards. I don't even have the skill to do that. Even if the brass somehow lasts twice as long (I'm doubtful it would, but it would be an interesting test to see how they actually compare) you are paying over three times as much for it. To each their own, but but for my needs, Starline fits the bill far better. I cannot justify the extra cost of Norma brass, as I am unsure that I would see any noticable improvement over Starline brass in my rifles.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191018/443757e591a1a1cd3db4112c2103dc56.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191018/4a5a18c57a33a3722bc5738e5df90984.jpg

Here is how Starline brass is made (at least, how their handgun brass is made).

https://youtu.be/74ssMmD_tXE

Come to think of it, a comparison test between Starline and Norma would be very interesting and would probably be a fun experience. We might have to look into doing that at some point.

Tom W.
10-18-2019, 11:32 PM
I prefer Starline brass. Never had any problems with it. As it is, I have an abundance of other brass for my 30-06 a.i. so I won't be getting any unless it's range pick up..... I believe most of my .45 Colt brass is Starline, and I know all of my .454 brass was.

HATCH
10-19-2019, 08:19 AM
if you shoot a lot of starline rifle brass, you can always just buy a automated anneal machine for under $300.
Heck, find a few friends and go in together on a machine.
You can ship it between friends or just ship your brass to the person with the machine and get it done.

I would have one of those machines but I don't do a lot of rifle reloading besides 300 BO, and I just buy my brass from VS Casting Machine on here.

alamogunr
10-19-2019, 10:26 AM
I see a lot of posts that wish that Starline would make this or that brass. I don't know how much existing machinery or tooling can be utilized for some of these "wishes", but it has to figure into the decision to make a new cartridge brass. Machines and hard tooling cost big dollars. Just because we love a particular cartridge doesn't mean that a whole lot of others do also. Twenty people here posting that they would love to see XX cartridge brass produced doesn't necessarily equate to a lasting demand, no matter how much we wish it were so.

Although, I've been surprised at the brass Starline has brought out. Just goes to show that something that I thought was out of favor is not necessarily so. Also, I'm not aware of how some of the new products mesh with existing production.

Littlewolf
10-19-2019, 08:52 PM
im just glad that they make 32S&W and 44S&W russian.
but 9.3x74Rimmed basic would be outstanding

rbuck351
10-20-2019, 01:56 AM
I'm surprised they don't make 25/20. Lots of folks seem to be looking for it and they already make 32/20 on occasion. Shouldn't take much to change over. And they used to make 25/20.

square butte
10-20-2019, 08:31 AM
I'd like to see 50-95 Win , Now that Jamison is belly up

quasi
10-20-2019, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see 50-95 Win , Now that Jamison is belly up

me too.

GONRA
10-20-2019, 05:07 PM
GONRA wants Starline to make 7.62x45mm Czech and .455 Webley & Scott Auto brass.

Blazenet
10-20-2019, 05:13 PM
+1 for Starline

Starline Brass
10-21-2019, 11:53 AM

They don't Anneal it as the last step the way other manufacturers do. That's what makes it cheaper.

Hello all - I don't frequent this board, but a friend clued me into the discussion and thought I should step in and make a correction here - Starline DOES indeed anneal it's bottle necked cases. It would be almost impossible to make otherwise. As others have pointed out, we simply choose to polish the anneal marks out during the final wash where we also apply the protectant to the cases. We like our cases shiny when they leave here. While skipping this step could be seen as saving cost - the scrap rate would then go through the roof and actually cost us more to make. Not to mention the poor performance of the brass once it got into your hands.

Sorry to intrude, we feel forums are for shooters - not for us supplier to clog up, but I did want to set the record straight on that single issue.

Carry on and happy shooting!

Matt
Starline Brass

ShooterAZ
10-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification Matt, and welcome to Cast Boolits! Glad to have you here.

zymguy
10-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Hello all - I don't frequent this board, but a friend clued me into the discussion and thought I should step in and make a correction here - Starline DOES indeed anneal it's bottle necked cases. It would be almost impossible to make otherwise. As others have pointed out, we simply choose to polish the anneal marks out during the final wash where we also apply the protectant to the cases. We like our cases shiny when they leave here. While skipping this step could be seen as saving cost - the scrap rate would then go through the roof and actually cost us more to make. Not to mention the poor performance of the brass once it got into your hands.

Sorry to intrude, we feel forums are for shooters - not for us supplier to clog up, but I did want to set the record straight on that single issue.

Carry on and happy shooting!

Matt
Starline Brass

Thanks for chiming in. Sooo about 280 rem. Will it happen [emoji3]

Starline Brass
10-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Thanks for chiming in. Sooo about 280 rem. Will it happen [emoji3]

Will it happen?!?!?!? Probably. WHEN will it happen?!?!?! Not so easy to answer. Not a caliber we are actively working on - I can say that for sure. Sorry!

zymguy
10-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Will it happen?!?!?!? Probably. WHEN will it happen?!?!?! Not so easy to answer. Not a caliber we are actively working on - I can say that for sure. Sorry!

Fair enough! Keep up the good work

Chill Wills
10-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Thanks to Starline Brass there are some old BP rifles as well as newer reproductions making smoke. I sure wish they could expand their line too. But, I am grateful for the brass they make that fills the empty space where almost no other brass could be made or found. Just two examples that filled the need for me is 50-90 Sharps and the 45- 2-6/10" (45-100) cases. Many others too!... And the quality is high. I am hoping for 40-70 Sharps straight myself.

Also, you will see Starline Brass generously supporting shooting matches with gift certificates. They give a lot away. American made and worth my support.
I shoot 25-20 WCF and it took a bit of a learning curve for me to make it from Starline 32-20 WCF but I have it down now with a very low failure rate. It keeps my two 1892's and my 16 year old son plinking with me! Good stuff!

Gewehr-Guy
10-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Now that we have Matt's attention, I would like to thank him for making 50-70,45-90, 32-20, and a couple more calibers. If things ever slow down for them, maybe a run of 25-20 Win and 25-20SS, 30-40 Krag, 25 and 30Rem, and .41 Swiss CF. Hey, it don't cost too ask ! Anyway, thank you guys for making us great affordable brass for some great old guns.

quasi
10-21-2019, 04:51 PM
by the way, the reason you see annealing colors on milsurp ammo is because it is milspec to not polish off the annealing colors.

RogerDat
10-21-2019, 05:23 PM
by the way, the reason you see annealing colors on milsurp ammo is because it is milspec to not polish off the annealing colors.
I have also heard that. The military brass they want visual proof that the annealing was done. I could see where an unscrupulous contractor could skip that step or it could be skipped accidentally and create some fragile brass due to forming the case necks from harder brass that hadn't been annealed.

FISH4BUGS
10-22-2019, 04:01 PM
I'm surprised they don't make 25/20. Lots of folks seem to be looking for it and they already make 32/20 on occasion. Shouldn't take much to change over. And they used to make 25/20.

agreed. I have scrounged 300 25-20 brass over the years....some bought here from the late Grumpa.

TNsailorman
10-22-2019, 04:08 PM
I wanted Starline to make .43 Spanish brass and wrote them a letter requesting them to do so. At least they were kind enough to write me back and say that they had no plans now or in the future to make .43 Spanish. I know that Bertram make the .43 but I have not had very good luck with their Spanish brass. james

AntiqueSledMan
10-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Hello TNsailorman,

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/233/1/CASE-43-SPANISH

Hope this helps, AntiqueSledMan.

rbuck351
10-23-2019, 01:44 AM
Fish4bugs
I have been on the lookout for 25/20 since I bought a 92 Win in 25/20 several years ago. I have managed to get 5 or 6 hundred but they seem to have completely dried up in the last couple of years. I would get another 500 if Starline would make a run. It's about the neatest small game rifle and cartridge I have seen.

Peregrine
10-23-2019, 02:04 AM
Neat to see Starline on here, i've been working with a bunch of their 444 recently and i'm quite happy with it. Don't stop making that one. :)

FISH4BUGS
10-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Fish4bugs
I have been on the lookout for 25/20 since I bought a 92 Win in 25/20 several years ago. I have managed to get 5 or 6 hundred but they seem to have completely dried up in the last couple of years. I would get another 500 if Starline would make a run. It's about the neatest small game rifle and cartridge I have seen.
I was gifted a 1924 made pristine Savage Sporter in 25-20. I scrounged an original magazine, moulds, bullets and brass for it. I bought a bunch of brass here from the late Grumpa, who made them from 32-20 brass. Somehow he figured out how to make them without much failure in production.
I will scope the rifle eventually. It DOES make a very nice 100 yard chuck gun. I am the neighborhood woodchuck assassin for a couple of farms next door and that sporter does the trick quite well.
You are right - 25-20 IS neat small game round.

Chill Wills
10-23-2019, 10:27 AM
I was gifted a 1924 made pristine Savage Sporter in 25-20. I scrounged an original magazine, moulds, bullets and brass for it. I bought a bunch of brass here from the late Grumpa, who made them from 32-20 brass. Somehow he figured out how to make them without much failure in production.
I will scope the rifle eventually. It DOES make a very nice 100 yard chuck gun. I am the neighborhood woodchuck assassin for a couple of farms next door and that sporter does the trick quite well.
You are right - 25-20 IS neat small game round.

The key to making the 25-20 WCF from Starline 32-20 is to get a good anneal on them before you start to do anything else. I started out making them with out annealing and while you can do it, the failure rate is much higher even when being real careful and going slow. If that is not bad enough, then the ones you have crack after two or three firings.
For sure anneal to start and really, anneal again after forming into 25-20. Then how often after that may be based on how heavy you load them.

For what ever reason, some of the Starline brass I have is harder than woodpecker lips.
I don't know if it is all that way or if it is due to the brass alloy they use. No clue. BUT, once you get it annealed the first time it is outstanding!

Not to hijack this thread
In a different thread I can describe what I do to form them (25-20WCF) with next to no loss, if there is interest. Someone else can start that thread tho... It is elk hunting season. I will have more time next month.

DDriller
10-23-2019, 01:10 PM
I use 4 different calibers of brass from Starline. 3 are used as they come from Starline, the other I reform to another caliber. Nothing but the highest quality in my opinion. Never had problems with any of their brass.

FISH4BUGS
10-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Not to hijack this thread
In a different thread I can describe what I do to form them (25-20WCF) with next to no loss if there is interest. Someone else can start that thread tho... It is elk hunting season. I will have more time next month.
This would be most interesting. The late Grumpa had a TON of stuff on forming 25-20 but the search feature does not bring up anything in this thread. Somehow i think the mods may have deleted it after he passed away.
After you get your elk in the freezer, please DO post your experience and technique.

dverna
10-23-2019, 06:04 PM
I am another supporter of Starline.

I got a good deal on Norma .308 Match ammunition and will be seeing if I can tell the difference with reloads when I get around to it.

midnight
12-03-2019, 03:10 PM
I might as well add a case to the Starline wish list. About all my brass is Starline if it's one they make. I would like to see 30-30 brass with a small primer pocket like the 30 American Federal made a run of back in the 80s. The few of us who make and shoot 219 Don Wasps would appreciate it. The Wasp doesn't need a large rifle primer, small would be just fine. Years ago someone made a small liner you could press into the large pocket to convert it to small but I havn't heard much about that for years. It wouldn't be too big a change to make since there is no change to the dimensions of the case, just a smaller punch when the case is headed.

Bob

zymguy
12-10-2019, 12:32 PM
I see they’ve added 270

Cheeto303
02-25-2020, 03:26 PM
I use the contact feature at Starline and send them my wishlist every so often. 303 Savage, 300 Savage and 35 Remington. They brought out 375 Winchester and 41 Special which used to be on my wishlist for years. They even introduced 7.65 French Long which blind sided me. I can't figure out why unless somebody is planning on making a reproduction Pederson device for M1903 Mark I's. I'd buy one. My theory is write them with wishlists and if they get enough requests they just might make it.

murf205
02-25-2020, 03:37 PM
Matt, thanks to you guys at Starline, I now have kicked the "range pick up habit" and no longer have to be constantly adjusting my crimp die when seating and crimping due to the MANY different length of different brands of brass.

GregLaROCHE
02-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Starline has provided a great service to all hand loaders. Reasonable priced brass of good quality. Most of all they have made it for calibers that weren’t available elsewhere. I hope they keep up their good reputation and the company continues to operate successfully.

megasupermagnum
02-25-2020, 11:12 PM

I shoot Starline because it is the ONLY option currently out there for brand new 327 federal brass. I also have a handful of other cartridges like 357 magnum, 41 magnum, 44 magnum, and 45 acp. I'm not going to say it's bad, but Starline makes fair brass for a fair price. Nothing more. It beats range pickup generic brass, but it is not on the level of Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc. I have more problems with Starline brass annealing than any other brand. That reminds me. I recently bought 444 marlin brass to form 309 JDJ. Brand new brass that couldn't be sized down at all. I ended up annealing every case. Most pistol shooters probably couldn't care less, but when you can feel by hand that a bullet seats easy in one case, and hard in the next, that kind of discrepancy shows up on target.

I don't mean this to rip on the company, but Starline has to get their annealing act in order. The second I can get my hands on a few thousand Federal brand cases of 327 federal, all my Starline cases are going down the road.

megasupermagnum
02-25-2020, 11:17 PM
Speak of the devil. Midway has both Hornady and Federal brand brass in 327 federal! And for great prices too!

M-Tecs
02-26-2020, 12:14 AM
Starline anneals the same as every other manufacturer with the exception of some of the straight walled original blackpowder cartridges that are often loaded to well above SAAMI specs. Starline recommends that the user anneal for BP usage to prevent blow-back.

https://www.ammoland.com/2009/11/starline-brass-ammunition-production/#axzz6F1vclzdi

megasupermagnum
02-26-2020, 12:32 AM
I don't know about the method, but Starline is the bottom rung with annealing consistency. Their brass is thicker and tougher than most brands, which some people might like. I never measured, but Starline brass is visibly thicker than any other brand I've seen. This thickness makes it horrible to use with NOE expander plugs, they stick like crazy. My biggest problem though is inconsistent neck tension. As I've said, I can feel which bullets seat hard, and which would practically slip in by hand. Even after being expanded with a NOE expander.

I just bought 2000 Federal brand cases, I won't miss the Starline.

M-Tecs
02-26-2020, 12:44 AM
What caliber? I have 2K of 45-70 and 8K of 45 Colt that I am very happy with. I also have some 348 and 375 Win Brass but i haven't loaded any of those so no comment. I did load 5K of 380 Auto for a buddy years ago with no issues but I have never loader any 380 except for new Starline brass. I have a bunch of 44-40 Starline but that was ones or twice fired so other than I've had zero issues with it I have no comment.

I am a huge Lapua fan. Normally it is the only brass I purchase for competition or serious accuracy requirements but years ago I purchased some .223 that was well under Lapua normal standards. Frankly is was junk.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Comparison_of_Remington_Winchester_and_Starline_Br ass.html

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/06/15/best-reloading-brass-comparison-of-manufacturer-uniformity/

Before 6.5x284 was standard I used Winchester brass to form. Two buddies and myself ordered a barrel. That was 5,700 cases if I remember correctly. That was the worst brass I have ever encountered. The neck and case walls were way out of concentric. It's wasn't suitable for competition.

GregLaROCHE
02-26-2020, 04:02 PM
I don't know about the method, but Starline is the bottom rung with annealing consistency. Their brass is thicker and tougher than most brands, which some people might like. I never measured, but Starline brass is visibly thicker than any other brand I've seen. This thickness makes it horrible to use with NOE expander plugs, they stick like crazy. My biggest problem though is inconsistent neck tension. As I've said, I can feel which bullets seat hard, and which would practically slip in by hand. Even after being expanded with a NOE expander.

I just bought 2000 Federal brand cases, I won't miss the Starline.

I have no problem using NOE expanding plugs for my .45-70 brass. I do anneal it as they say to, because I am loading BP into them. I think I like the idea of them being thicker and tougher. I would have thought the opposite owing to their reasonable price.

megasupermagnum
02-26-2020, 04:11 PM
I've used all the calibers I listed in post #51. I have not done too much with the 357 magnum or 45 acp brass, ond only tried 444 marlin once. I have used it quite a bit in 41 and 44 magnum. The caliber I've used the most by far is 327 federal.

327 federal I've gone to sorting the brass based on how hard it expands, it is quite a problem. While it does last, it does not perform. The thickness is not a problem in this caliber. The 444 marlin I tried to form into 309 JDJ, which was a disaster. The stuff doesn't size down at all. I ended up having to anneal every single piece of brass, then sizing down in steps. Remington brass, which was stupid expensive, you can size down in one step, with no annealing. Now I know why it costs more. I honestly have not had any problems in 41 magnum. That batch seems to be good. 44 magnum seems consistent, but WOW does it size and expand hard. The first time I used a NOE expander in them without lube, it is a miracle I didn't rip the rim off.

I won't pretend like everything else is all roses. I can't make the claim for long range rifles, but for handguns, I have had NONE of these problems with Winchester, Federal, or Hornady brass. I've had nothing but great luck with Remington too, and some people hate that stuff. I'd say Starline is likely right in there with the generic brands, S&B, Magtech, etc.

It works, it's cheap, but I'd rather have something else.

GregLaROCHE
02-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Why do most consider Lapua to be the best brass today? What happened to Norma? You don’t hear much about it today. Did the quality go down?

M-Tecs
02-26-2020, 04:19 PM
Why do most consider Lapua to be the best brass today? What happened to Norma? You don’t hear much about it today. Did the quality go down?

Norma is great brass also. The rep. on Norma is the head is softer so primer pockets loosen sooner. For me in 6mm BR that has been true.

mike69
02-27-2020, 02:23 AM
I've used all the calibers I listed in post #51. I have not done too much with the 357 magnum or 45 acp brass, ond only tried 444 marlin once. I have used it quite a bit in 41 and 44 magnum. The caliber I've used the most by far is 327 federal.

327 federal I've gone to sorting the brass based on how hard it expands, it is quite a problem. While it does last, it does not perform. The thickness is not a problem in this caliber. The 444 marlin I tried to form into 309 JDJ, which was a disaster. The stuff doesn't size down at all. I ended up having to anneal every single piece of brass, then sizing down in steps. Remington brass, which was stupid expensive, you can size down in one step, with no annealing. Now I know why it costs more. I honestly have not had any problems in 41 magnum. That batch seems to be good. 44 magnum seems consistent, but WOW does it size and expand hard. The first time I used a NOE expander in them without lube, it is a miracle I didn't rip the rim off.

I won't pretend like everything else is all roses. I can't make the claim for long range rifles, but for handguns, I have had NONE of these problems with Winchester, Federal, or Hornady brass. I've had nothing but great luck with Remington too, and some people hate that stuff. I'd say Starline is likely right in there with the generic brands, S&B, Magtech, etc.

It works, it's cheap, but I'd rather have something else.

I make my 375jdj from starline 444 bras in one step with no problems . Been thinking of getting a 309jdj . Wonder how it would work out doing it in steps to get to the 309jdj

AntiqueSledMan
02-27-2020, 06:54 AM
Hello All,

I guess I'd like to see Starline make the 25-20 WCF.
Also the 25-20 SS Basic, one could form a lot of different cases from that one.

AntiqueSledMan.

midnight
02-27-2020, 09:11 AM
I was happy to see Starline making 360 Dan Wesson brass. I just finished making 256 Winchester from them. I made 500 of them and only lost 12, none of the losses due to the brass, just errors on my part. All cases were annealed first, reduced to 30 cal in a 30 Mauser die and then run into the 256 Winchester fl sizing die and trimmed to 1.281. I lost the very first case I ran into the 30 Mauser die by not aligning it properly & crushing the mouth. The other 11 I "lost" were just lube dents in the shoulder. I will load those and shoot them & the dents will probably come out. 357 Mag cases sometimes come out a little short so the slightly longer Dan Wesson brass gives the extra length. They tell me the web of the DW cases is stronger also. Thanks to Starline for making it available.

Bob

megasupermagnum
02-27-2020, 06:59 PM
I make my 375jdj from starline 444 bras in one step with no problems . Been thinking of getting a 309jdj . Wonder how it would work out doing it in steps to get to the 309jdj

To make 309 JDJ brass. First you have to anneal the 444 marlin cases. It won't work without this. Next I ran cases into a 44 magnum die to square up the mouths. Then I ran into a 358 Winchester sizing die. Finally I ran them into a 308 Winchester die until they just chamber. This was followed by a second annealing, which I am not sure was necessary. Fire form, anneal again, and size in 309 JDJ dies.

Remington brass is twice the price, but I'd pay that knowing what I know now. That you just size in 308 win die, fire form, anneal once, and you are good to go. When I first started with 309 JDJ, I could not even size down in a 41 magnum die. Just that small amount would split the case right open. I'm surprised you were able to get to 375.

Any chance you are interested in a 309 JDJ contender pistol? Comes with 60 cases of fireformed and prepped brass!

NObamain2012
03-12-2020, 08:20 PM
I'll be glad if they make .223 and 30-06 "basic" brass.

GONRA
03-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Again, GONRA wants STARLINE to make 7.62x45mm Czech Brass. (7mm Nambu would be Really Nice too!)

BK7saum
03-14-2020, 06:28 PM
I'll be glad if they make .223 and 30-06 "basic" brass.

They do make 223 basic brass
https://www.starlinebrass.com/223-basic

They dont list 30-06, but do also have 6.8 basic and 6.5 grendel basic brass.

Cheeto303
03-14-2020, 10:47 PM
Hi Matt, If you are still monitoring this thread how about 300 Savage,303 Savage,35 Rem,577/450 MH,577 Snider & 7.7 Japanese. I am also curious as to why your 348 Win is so pricey?

AntiqueSledMan
03-15-2020, 06:51 AM
I'm sure prices are partially based on sales.
44 Colt are $116 per 500 and 41 Colt are $306 per 500.

AntiqueSledMan.

midnight
03-15-2020, 07:17 AM
I would like to see them make 256 Winchester but as long as they continue making 360 Dan Wesson I will happily make my 256s from them.

Bob

DonMountain
03-15-2020, 01:32 PM
I'm sure prices are partially based on sales.
44 Colt are $116 per 500 and 41 Colt are $306 per 500.

AntiqueSledMan.

My guess is their prices are actually based on their raw material costs and how many operations it takes to form a particular casing, including what waste is included in material costs. I looked through prices of their products and after consideration of actual cost to produce they all seem reasonable and comparable. A magnum belted rifle case is going to cost more than a 38 S&W case. But I am waiting for something that can be easily formed into 43 Spanish, or the finished 43 Spanish case itself.

Earl Brasse
03-20-2020, 11:30 PM
Yes, it would be great if Starline would make a run of 25-20 SS.
It's great that they make many old calibers, .41 LC, .32-20 Win., 38-55 Win etc.

M-Tecs
03-20-2020, 11:43 PM
My guess is their prices are actually based on their raw material costs and how many operations it takes to form a particular casing, including what waste is included in material costs. I looked through prices of their products and after consideration of actual cost to produce they all seem reasonable and comparable. A magnum belted rifle case is going to cost more than a 38 S&W case. But I am waiting for something that can be easily formed into 43 Spanish, or the finished 43 Spanish case itself.

Setup time comes into play also. Cost per part is significantly less if you run 10 million parts verse 10,000.

kenton
03-20-2020, 11:56 PM
In a capitalist system you don't charge only what it costs to make plus some percentage for profit, you charge what the market will bear. Lots of other options means a lower price.

NObamain2012
03-23-2020, 06:58 PM
They do make 223 basic brass
https://www.starlinebrass.com/223-basic

They dont list 30-06, but do also have 6.8 basic and 6.5 grendel basic brass.

Thanks, 30 TCU here I come!

rockrat
03-23-2020, 11:12 PM
Would love some 6mm br and some 405 win!!

Duckhunter
04-07-2020, 08:55 PM
NObamain2012, Starline does (or did in recent memory) make 223 Basic brass, I have a couple of hundred. Used it to make the 357 Max AR.

Baja_Traveler
04-07-2020, 09:21 PM
Years ago a whole bunch of us wrote to Starline asking they start making 25-20, .218 Bee and 32-40 brass. We all got the brush off...

nikonuser
04-07-2020, 09:38 PM
well I DO know that they only made the 45 cowboy, ie 45 colt with a 45acp case length, BECAUSE the person who wanted it was willing to purchase a minimum order of 50,000 cases.

SO take that into consideration. And heres about bullet making, ran into a so called custom bullet company last year. they make a cannelured 250 grain bullet for 45 colt. I asked about the possibility of a 250 or 260 grain fmj round nose version. They were willing to, IF I would pay 5,000$ to have them make the changes to equipment, and funny thing is, they said they could do it with existing equipment. Plus I needed to order at least 10,000 bullets

45workhorse
04-07-2020, 10:22 PM
The only Lapua brass I own is for my 7mm BR. (6mm BR necked up to 7mm BR.) Otherwise, I am happy with all Starline brass!

DDriller
04-08-2020, 11:38 PM
Would love some 6mm br and some 405 win!!

Would love some 6mm br also

skeettx
04-08-2020, 11:46 PM
All I could find was

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/brass/rifle-brass/6mm-br-norma-brass-case-prod105680.aspx

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/76514

richhodg66
04-09-2020, 08:48 AM
How about .351 Winchester Self Loading? Sure does seem like there are a lot of 1907 owners out there trying to figure out how to shoot theirs.

toot
04-09-2020, 09:26 AM
there pistol brass is unsurpassed! just simply the best,and in a lot of obsolete calibers. CAS, seem to like there brass?

seetrout
04-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Years ago a whole bunch of us wrote to Starline asking they start making 25-20, .218 Bee and 32-40 brass. We all got the brush off...

I would think that now that they make the parent case .32-20, a run of .25-20 and .218 Bee would be easy.

Here's my vote for Starline to make a run of .25-20 and .218 Bee next time they make a run of .32-20's

BS2
04-18-2020, 10:59 AM
30-06 Basic would be nice for the 400 Whelen.

white eagle
04-19-2020, 12:34 PM

don't forget Laupa brass is excellent as well
I have had some bad brass from Starline for whatever reason
so I do not usually look to them first but will settle on them if thats all I can get

FLINTNFIRE
04-19-2020, 01:04 PM
All the brass I have got has been good , there was a 41 mag piece in with the 45 colt though once , about all the reviews on the website for 32-20 is begging for a run of 25-20 , so do not get your hopes up , I do not shoot 25-20 but I would like to see them make some for those that do , picked up more 45colt and 32-20 just because I want to load more , have a lot loaded but you know always fun to load more then cast more , I would like to see runs of brass with correct headstamps as I load a few wildcats , but then again as long as I can make it from something else I will just keep doing that.

444ttd
04-19-2020, 01:58 PM
30-06 Basic would be nice for the 400 Whelen.

x2 along with 20 vartarg(221 rem fireball), 30-40 krag and 8mm mauser basic brass too.

i have a 44 special, 500 linebaugh and 30-30 brass that are starline. i use the 30-30 brass and i neck it to 35/30-30. i have shot some 500 rounds(100pcs of starline brass) of 35/30-30 and i don't have a problem with the brass. the 44 spl rounds is around 1000x(100 pcs) i have fired it and the brass still goes strong. the 500L brass(100 pcs) is around 600-700x and i can't complain about it either. i have 150pcs(of each caliber) left of the 30-30, 44 spl and the 500L, that are sitting my drawer. i don't anneal them either.

i should have the 444 starline brass but i bought 500 remington cases before the 444 starline came out.

brian1
05-03-2020, 03:08 AM
I would REALLY like to see Starline start making 25-20 Single Shot Basic. Being a bit of an odd duck, it seems like there should be a reasonable market for the Basic configuration to supply the old 25-20 SS rifles as well as the R2 Lovell and other wildcats based on the case. Jamison had some good brass but are no long in business and it appears Captech isn't going to continue making it.

Starline has made a few cases that were sorely needed and may branch out to the 06 based cartridges, but IMHO I would prefer they resurrect some of the basic brass for obsolete cartridges.

Amen to that! I've written to them several times about it. All we can do is keep writing to them and asking for it. Hopefully, they will see enough demand and start making them again.

mozeppa
05-03-2020, 04:38 AM
before the horrible boating accident of 2016 ....i have .....er, HAD approximately 250 K , pieces of brass in 16 calibers all new.
starline makes great stuff!

i miss them.....292 feet deep and i don't dive.

ndnchf
05-03-2020, 08:29 AM
Amen to that! I've written to them several times about it. All we can do is keep writing to them and asking for it. Hopefully, they will see enough demand and start making them again.

I'd like that too. I use it to make 32 Ballard XL. But I doubt we'll see it anytime soon. In the mean time I've been buying all the used 25-20SS and R2 Lovell brass I can find to make my Ballard brass.

BS2
05-03-2020, 10:47 AM
"I would REALLY like to see Starline start making 25-20 Single Shot Basic. Being a bit of an odd duck, it seems like there should be a reasonable market for the Basic configuration to supply the old 25-20 SS rifles as well as the R2 Lovell and other wildcats based on the case. Jamison had some good brass but are no long in business and it appears Captech isn't going to continue making it."

This is one Kool little case! Would love to make a 17 cal out of it!

Bad Ass Wallace
05-06-2020, 06:02 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6AFUHJMm.jpg

25/20 and 218 Bee would be nice. In the meantime, I'll keep reforming 32/20.

A local gunstore is selling Winchester 25/20 @ $70 for 50 that's $AU1.40 per case

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/WSC2520U%2025-20%20Winchester%20Unprimed%20Brass%20(50)/3902

3leggedturtle
05-17-2020, 05:18 PM
.22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .22 Jet and 5.7mm Johnson Spitfire aka .22carbine Would be nice to be able to buy.