PDA

View Full Version : Hit a snag with the Blackhawk Bisley

Hrfunk
10-15-2019, 07:16 AM
Well, as I said in my previous thread, I ordered the .44 Special BH Bisley. Yesterday, I got the call informing me that it had arrived. So, after work, I made my way to the shop and sure enough my new blued steel beauty was there. Unfortunately, she was under the weather. While examining the revolver, I cocked the action and noted a distinct "catch" about half way from the hammer's rested position and its fully cocked position. At first, I thought maybe the cylinder was binding as it rotated, but after removing the cylinder, the catch in the action was still there. Then I thought, "well, it's brand new. It might just have to be cocked a few times to smooth it out." So dutifully I cocked it briskly a few times to see if it started to feel smoother. Not only did it remain the same, but there were several times where the hammer/action "locked" and I could not cock it. When that happened, I had to release the pressure on the hammer and start the cocking stroke again. So, in the end, I asked the store's owner to return that one to Lipsey's and have them ship me a different one.

So, while I'm waiting, I was hoping some of you might share your favorite .44 Special loads. I'm a big fan of the Skeeter load with 7.5 grains of Unique behind a Keith bullet. I shoot more of that than any others in .44 Special, and it's a great general purpose load. Still, I thought some of you might have some good ones I can try out when my replacement revolver arrives.

Howard

txbirdman
10-15-2019, 09:05 AM
My 3rd generation Colt likes 8.1 gr of 4756 with the Keith 240 gr.

rkrcpa
10-15-2019, 04:20 PM
My Bisley 44spl acted the same way just before the pawl broke. Twice.

DGV
10-15-2019, 04:33 PM
8.3 grains power pistol with a 250 grain SWC. 429421, H&G 503 etc . Warm load. Does 950fps out of a 4 5/8 Inch Bisley 44 special I have

Bazoo
10-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Sorry you had this disappointment. Sounds like the plunger on the bottom of the hammer was binding. Likely just debris in the hole. It's a common issue for Rugers and solved by cleaning out the hole well and polishing with some fine sandpaper. I've had it happen twice, once to a blackhawk 357 and once to a single six. It'll flat lock the gun up if it rusts or the spring breaks.

Thumbcocker
10-16-2019, 09:28 AM
I had to replace a plunger spring on one Ruger.

Hrfunk
10-19-2019, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys! I’ve been out of town all weekend. I’m hoping the replacement is in by the time I get back home.

Howard