PDA

View Full Version : Walther P38

TheGunsmith
10-13-2019, 08:00 PM
The safety works as it should. It decocks the hammer as it should but when I flip it back to fire it doesn’t set it back to DA. Anyone have any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elmacgyver0
10-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Is this something that just started?
Have you dissembled it prior to this problem?
Sounds like it is not assembled properly or something broke.
If I had your handle I think I would have been too embarrassed to post this. Just kidding.:kidding:

TheGunsmith
10-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Lol. This is a first one for me. The customer said that it’s been this way. This is the first one I’ve had the privilege of working on. I’m not seeing anything obvious, or anything missing/broke.

elmacgyver0
10-13-2019, 09:29 PM
If the trigger does not return to it's full forward position it could be the problem.
I would take the grips off and look at the transfer bar on the right hand side of the pistol.
At the rear of the transfer bar there is a triangular shaped doodad with a roundish shaped hole that has a sharp little tooth sticking down from the top. A triangular shaped finger on the rear of the transfer bar engages this "tooth", this is an "always" engagement, the finger is always riding on that tooth throughout it's total travel.
There is also a thin delicate looking projection on the bottom of the hammer just to the right of the pin the hammer rotates on.
The camming surface on rear of the triangular doodad must be under this projection.
The camming surface pushing against this projection is what give you your double action.
Just take the grips off and watch how these parts interact with each other.
Good Luck!

Conditor22
10-13-2019, 09:54 PM
:bigsmyl2: Love the terminology :bigsmyl2: -- OK I have no room to talk, I understood what you said. If my Walther ever has that problem I'll know what to look for.

uscra112
10-13-2019, 11:02 PM
Something dragging on the transfer bar? The right grip itself maybe?

nicholst55
10-14-2019, 01:31 AM
There are a couple of disassembly/reassembly vids on Youtube. Perhaps one might be of some help:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=walther+p38+troubleshooting

TheGunsmith
10-20-2019, 04:32 PM
If the trigger does not return to it's full forward position it could be the problem.
I would take the grips off and look at the transfer bar on the right hand side of the pistol.
At the rear of the transfer bar there is a triangular shaped doodad with a roundish shaped hole that has a sharp little tooth sticking down from the top. A triangular shaped finger on the rear of the transfer bar engages this "tooth", this is an "always" engagement, the finger is always riding on that tooth throughout it's total travel.
There is also a thin delicate looking projection on the bottom of the hammer just to the right of the pin the hammer rotates on.
The camming surface on rear of the triangular doodad must be under this projection.
The camming surface pushing against this projection is what give you your double action.
Just take the grips off and watch how these parts interact with each other.
Good Luck!

That is exactly what’s happening.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191020/3dff4d43c9fb340114e0c49b2d30e3ef.jpg