PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot- 2006

BruceB
11-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Funny to actually see "2006" in print. It seems the turn of the millennium was just a month or two back.

However, it's time to start thinking about the 2006 Shoot.....the SEVENTH time around for this event. Deputy Al, Curmudgeon, and myself had some conversation about it during our trip to Alberta, and from our experience with the weather at the 2005 Shoot, perhaps we may want to push the date back a little later in May to get a better chance at good weather.

The Shoot will be held in Winnemucca NV, spanning a three-day weekend with the Friday devoted to minor preparation and socializing, and Saturday-Sunday for shooting. Please note that ANYONE who uses cast bullets is welcome. If you buy your boolits, come anyway. Even if you can't bring guns along, come anyway....there'll be untold numbers of guns to shoot and oodles of ammo for your enjoyment.

Again, repeating what we say each time the event comes around, this is a FUN shoot. Although there is some moderately-serious competition, that is the least of the attractions, the main one being the social, conversational and "look at this!" aspects.

The "Rools" are few, and simple:

1. Act safely

2. Have fun

3. No whining!

I work shifts, and two weekends out of four on my 4-week schedule will find me at work here at the mine. To hold the Shoot on one of my work-scheduled weekends means burning a good part of my annual vacation time, so if we move the Shoot later in May, it will likely be fully two weeks "deeper" into the month. At that point, I'd have to take one day's vacation, but that's no great hardship. My schedule for 2006 isn't out yet, but I don't expect a change in the rotation so I'll just have to sit down with a calendar and figure it out...and I don't yet have one for 2006.

As soon as I get it lined out, I'll post the two possible weekends which best agree with the shift schedule., and then we can talk about it.

It sure would be nice to see some new faces at the Shoot, along with the previous attendees. Assuming (yeah, I know) that we all love to cast, handload and shoot, this is one of the premier Good Times of the year!

onceabull
11-20-2005, 04:57 PM
BruceB: unless the health gods rule otherwise, Joy and I will be there for lunch Friday the whatevereth... Onceabull

Gunload Master
11-20-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm going to do everything I can to be able to show up to this event. Sounds like great fun. We got a few big gun shows around here so I can stock up on supplies. I suppose I will just haul up a 24 footer to camp in? Probably the best option I suppose.

jballs918
11-21-2005, 03:41 PM
im stationed in las vegas and i would love to try to make it out there, i have to figure out where that is first lol

BruceB
11-21-2005, 03:57 PM
jballs918;

Look straight north to Interstate-80, and Winnemucca stands at the junction of I-80 and Highway 95 (to Boise).

Drive up either through Tonopah or Austin to I-80, perhaps making a real tour of it by coming north on one route and going back home on the other. Also, you could travel via Ely-Wells-Elko-Winnemucca if you don't mind the extra mileage.

We hope you can make it.

NVcurmudgeon
11-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Warning: The NCBS is addicting, it is amazing how many people who have never been to one, and finally make the trip, become frequent fliers. It is very gratifying to see some new blood expressing interest. Looking forward to seeing you there!

9.3X62AL
11-22-2005, 02:47 AM
NCBS is a definite "DO NOT MISS" for me. Seven straight days of rain in 2004 (including the Rat Zap in Modoc) didn't dampen my enthusiasm a bit.

And, NO Buckshot--no VW Cabrio this year, either. Leave the chartreuse ascot at home, PLEASE.

NVcurmudgeon
11-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Bruce, Moving the NCBS to a later date in May may have more than one benefit. The weather might be better, but there are also the points to be earned by moving the NCBS away from Mother's Day.

45nut
11-22-2005, 10:29 PM
You do realize this will make us endure a longer wait,,already seems like it's two years inbetween shoots for me. I may just show up "on-time" anyway just because. My internal clock is centered on NCBS now,are we like the Roman's,adjusting the schedules and the months and days of the year ? <grin>

jballs918
11-23-2005, 03:00 PM
well things have gone south in the last 2 days i looks like i may me in iraq during this tmie frame more to come on that one

ammohead
11-29-2005, 12:09 AM
D Al,

Made my mind up to make it to Cedarville come hell or high water this year. But will there still be good shooting late in May? No doubt they will still be there, but if the fields grow too fast we won't be able to see them. Guess we'll just shoot the tall ones. Or maybe coyotes in the Sheldon.

BruceB,
One thing to remember. If you really want to guarantee good weather in NV you have to move it out to end of June. It is all a matter of bad luck. Most often it is sunny here, but from Sept to July you can have some weather. Last year I woke up to snow on the ground first week of June in Battle Mountain. Seen snow on the ground for the Air Races in Reno 3rd weekend in Sept. I will go with the crowd, but 2 weeks doesn't guarantee much. Rain or shine I haven't had a bad time yet.

ammohead

45nut
11-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Rain or shine I haven't had a bad time yet.

ammohead
:redneck: Thats the real jewel,,being there.

Gunload Master
11-30-2005, 09:49 PM
I've got a few boys to bring up.. Is it alright if I don't shoot cast? Please don't smite me. :)

jballs918
11-30-2005, 10:05 PM
ok update im not going to iraq, you got to love the good old military. anyway if im still in the country i will try to make it.

9.3X62AL
12-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Cartuche Cabeza--

PM sent, senor.

GM--

I have fired some of the red-coated pretenders to accuracy my own self from an assortment of peestols, revolters, and rifles at the NCBS meetings. Consider it a sort of "alibi" firing sequence. You will, however, be required to fire castings from an eclectic assortment of fusils and handgonnes at some point(s) during the event. We would allow you to use them jacketed things for competition shooting, but you would be placed at a considerable disadvantage to do so--way too big a handicap, methinks--and unfair to a first-time attendee. :-)

PatMarlin
12-05-2005, 03:12 AM
I sure would like to come out.

As the crow flies due east it's not all that far from me, but it doesn't look like much of a way to get through that Black Rock High Desert Canyon area.

Gotta look at a better map.

ammohead
12-06-2005, 11:31 PM
I sure would like to come out.

As the crow flies due east it's not all that far from me, but it doesn't look like much of a way to get through that Black Rock High Desert Canyon area.

Gotta look at a better map.

Due west of the Black Rock? Where you at? Our very own former Senator Richard Bryan (no doubt encouraged by Harry Reid) sewed up the High Canyon area and made it a wilderness area some years back. No vehicle travel period. Some really beautiful country too. Making wilderness areas sounds good, but really, was there any danger of someone building condos in that country. We have a ton of empty in NV. One of the nicest things about the state. But if you ban vehicle travel you are limited to horses or foot travel, and most of this type of country is too damn big for either.

ammohead

PatMarlin
12-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Ammohead,

I'm in N. California- just above the 40th parallel. I would come out east from Susanville.

What would be the fastest way to get there. I wouldn't have to go all the way down to Reno would I?

bdoyle
12-07-2005, 03:08 PM
It would probably be the fastest to go to Reno. Once you get past Fernly on I80 to speed limit is up to 75. Not the shortest but faster. You would have to deal with a lot of two lane and possibly dirt roads otherwise.

Brian

7s&8s
12-10-2005, 08:30 PM
BruceB,
Either weekend works, but I'd loose fewer points with the misses if the NCBS didn't conflict with Mother's Day....

MarlinLover,
Agree 395 to Reno then 80 would be simplist and quickest.

Depending on weather, your feelings about driving dirt roads, reliability of vehicle (pickup or 4wd, not the sedan), good set of tires (w/ good spare or two), time availability, good map in hand, and need to see different road(s), there's a couple of other options... Cell phone would be good to have...

If adventurous, you might consider Cedarville, S. (to Eagleville) on to Gerlach, then east 100 miles on dirt on the south end of the Black Rock to Winnemucca...

If more adventurous, 395 S to Doyle, ??? Crossing to Flannigan (N of Pyramid Lake), then north and east along the Smoke Creek desert to Gerlach, then east 100 miles to Winnemucca (same as above). All in, probably 180miles worth of gravel roads...

If I have the time, I'd rather drive the dirt... and ruin a tire once in a while....

For some, overdose of lead may be the least of worries...

Looking forward to the NCBS in May!

Regards, Tom

ammohead
12-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Ammohead,

I'm in N. California- just above the 40th parallel. I would come out east from Susanville.

What would be the fastest way to get there. I wouldn't have to go all the way down to Reno would I?

Another option depending on how far north you are is north to Lakeview OR and east on 140 to Denio and south on 95 to Winnemucca.

ammohead

9.3X62AL
12-12-2005, 02:33 PM
That's the route Buckshot and I have taken from Cedarville. It's positively gorgeous country. Despite its dry-looking aspect, we can testify under oath that it can and does rain there, and a fine and comprehensive job of it too.

PatMarlin
12-12-2005, 03:49 PM
I think I'll look at that route, but I do have a childhood freind in Reno, and I haven't even seen his kids yet.

Al- you going to Cedarville this year?

PatMarlin
12-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Was wondering what happens at the shoot?

What type of competitions?

What do you need to bring?

What are appropriate firearms to compete with?

How long and what type of accommodations? Bring your own RV?

-I'm thinkin' maybe less fishin' this year, and more shootin'.. :mrgreen:

onceabull
12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I'd go with Lakeview to Winnemucca via Fields & Denio,if only because everyone needs to do it once..Plus you go right past the junc.to French Glen and Burns, Pack the fly rod,and do a side trip to fish the Blitzen R. Onceabull

NVcurmudgeon
12-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Pat, In answer to your questions, and one not asked. Rule No. 1 no whining! Rule No. 2, the rangemaster is in command.

Competition is low key, involving group and offhand score events. Generally a shooter will notfy somebody nearby something like, "I'm going to shoot my
50 yd. bench group, now." He will then shoot his target and turn it in for measurement or scoring. The current leader in each event will have his score or group on the leader board, and the previous leader will be erased. Shooting and shooting with the same rifle in the same event until a target is "good enough" is not too cool, but there is nothing wrong with reentry with a different gun. Even a gun borrowed from another shooter is OK, just ask how often my .35 Whelen has won in other hands, or how often my stepson Jaremy has committed lese majeste by tying me! Typical events are:

Iron sight rifle group, five shots bench at 50 yd.
Iron sight rifle score, five shots offhand at 50 yd.
Scope sight rifle group, five shots bench at 100 yd.
Scope sight rifle score, five shots offhand at 100 yd.
Iron sight pistol group, five shots bench at 25 or 50 yd. depending on ROOLS COMMITTY mood
Iron sight pistol score, usually bowling pins at 50 yd. or so
Scoped sight pistol group five shots bench at 50 yd.
Long range IRON SIGHT rifle offhand, five shots on a gong at whatever distance the range affords and the ROOLS COMMITTY determines. Shootoffs in this event are common.
Pistol team match. Clays, balloons, stakes, etc. at 50 yd. or so as the ROOLS COMMITTY determines.
Rifle team match. Just like the pistol team match.

Group events may be fired on any target you want to bring. Score targets must be fired on the (provided) 50 yd. NRA pistol target CENTERS in the interest of uniformity. The prestigious Golden Wheelweight trophy will be awarded to winners of individualo events. Again, competition is low key, but that is not to say that it isn't close, it is just that nobody thinks it the end of the world.

Generally some of us meet for Friday lunch, then go out ot the range and set up for Saturday and Sunday. After a nap, the ROOLS COMMITTY meets for dinner at a local eatery and watering hole. All who show up comprise the ROOLS COMMITTY.

Saturday, we go out to the range and shoot, BS, swap stories and sometimes toys, try out each other's guns, and most important, socialize. Saturday dinner can either be an out-to, or the recently traditional barbecue (bring your own meat and booze.).

Sunday is very much like Saturday. At the close of shooting, all hands clean up for dinner at Ormachea's, a fine Basque restaurant, for a huge dinner and trophy presentation.

IMO, the order of importance is socializing, admiring each other's guns and ammo, food and drink, (after the guns are put away) and competition.

NVcurmudgeon
12-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Pat, Bring any cast boolit shooter you want to shoot in competition and/or show off. I will be bringing the following:

Springfield NRA Sporter, Ruger 77 rebarreled in .35 Whelen, Marlin 1894 Cowboy .44 Magnum, (rifle team event) 1898 Krag sporterized Carbine, No. 4
Enfield rifle, maybe 1948 Yugo Mauser, Colt Gold Cup, S&W 629 .44 Magnum 8 3/8", and maybe one or two more pistols.

For accomodations Winnemucca is full of motels, and there is an RV park. Ammohead can tell you more about that.

One more optional event is the Duke's room party. After the Ormachea's Sunday night dinner all are invited to Duke's (or mine in the absence of Duke) motel room, for a final socializing.

I think that pretty well covers it, but post any other questions you may have.

PatMarlin
12-12-2005, 11:13 PM
I imagine you have to pick you're best firearm per shoot? Or, do you get a go with each one you bring?

Ifn' I'm making sence.. :roll:

Good news is, my wife and I will be there. Has a date been set?

NVcurmudgeon
12-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Pat, Watch this space for dates, it all depends on when BruceB can get off. Bring as many guns as you wish and try them all. Bring plenty of ammo, too, because there may be several test drivers wanting to try them. I've bought several rifles after trying an example at the NCBS!

jballs918
12-13-2005, 12:18 PM
just wondering what hotel you all normally stay in, i will have to hotel it from thursday night to monday morning. its atleast a ten hours drives from what i hear

9.3X62AL
12-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Winnemucca has lots of good motels--never had a problem getting a room, although I've reserved them a couple weeks ahead each time I've stayed there. It's an 11-hour drive for me--when I've gone direct to the meeting, I leave the PRC/Yucaipa Kommisariat at ~0600 hours, and get there in time to check into the room, drop stuff off, and make it to the Rules Committee Meeting right on time.

I've used the Santa Fe Inn for a lot of years, both for NCBS and as a stop point between my home and my sister's place in Bozeman. The Best Western is another favorite.

jballs918
12-13-2005, 01:47 PM
just wondering about the hotel becuase i would like to have one some what close to most of you so when we are getting plowed i dont have to drive, in the airforce we are told to plan ahead lol

NVcurmudgeon
12-13-2005, 04:42 PM
jballs, Winnemucca, located at the junction of a very major Interstate and an important US highway, has many motels. Most of them are within easy crawling distance of the swinging doors.

jballs918
12-13-2005, 04:59 PM
ok i got you. just wondering never been there before is all

David R
12-13-2005, 08:45 PM
You guys don't know how bad I would like to go. I live on the wrong coast!

David

powderburnerr
12-13-2005, 11:47 PM
David R
buy a ticket to Battle Mountain Nv. and I'll pick you up and take you down to Winnamucca . It should only be a 4 or 5 hr flight .... Dean

jballs918
12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
buy one to vegas, that is where im coming from

350mag
12-15-2005, 12:27 AM
David,
I just checked and you can get a roundtrip flight from Buffalo to Las Vegas in May for $311.
Ken

BruceB
12-15-2005, 02:11 AM
David;

In the event you do decide to fly out, do NOT worry about the hassles and inconvenience of hauling along a bunch of (gasp) nasty ol' guns with you, or consigning your beloved treasures to the maw of the baggage-crunching machines and/or TSA.

There will be MORE than enough guns and ammunition available for you to shoot! In fact, there'll be enough stuff to shoot to keep you going for a WEEK, never mind a week-end.

The most important ingredient in this event is the people, and the more the merrier. I'm certain that everyone who's attended the NCBS in the past will agree with that. Please, if at all possible, try to get here.

The neatest thing about such a happening is that we are NOT strangers, even if we've never met in person. You can walk into the room full of unfamiliar faces and pick up a conversation with any number of folks, just where we left-off the discussion in our latest posts here on the 'net. It's a VERY neat situation, and amazingly comfortable. We all share the same Board experiences...."Say, remember when we were talking about XXXX last month? Well, this is what I did....." - and the conversation is underway, and believe me it won't stop for the entire time!.

David R
12-15-2005, 10:21 PM
I doubt I could go, but you guys sure make me feel welcome. At my club, of the regulars I am the only cast boolit shooter. There are a few more but they don't compete. One is a member of this board and stopped by my work today. I hope to take him with me to the peestol match tomorrow if I can escape from work for an hour or so.

David

ammohead
12-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Was wondering what happens at the shoot?

What type of competitions?

What do you need to bring?

What are appropriate firearms to compete with?

How long and what type of accommodations? Bring your own RV?

-I'm thinkin' maybe less fishin' this year, and more shootin'.. :mrgreen:

Pat,

There are a couple of RV parks on the east end of town. I have used one a couple of times but the name eludes me at present. I never had problems getting a spot, and the rates were reasonable.

Any gun that shoots a cast boolit is good enough for this event. Shooting condom bullets just for fun might fly, but for the competitions cast is why we come. I penned the name Rools Commitee at the first event because it rhymes with Fools. Anyone attending Friday night dinner is on the rools committee and if you have a particular event in mind, that is the place to bring it up.

What happens more than anything else all weekend is gabbing. It is amazing the feeling that we have all known each other for a long time. In fact we have through the internet even though we haven't met. But I think that there is something about boolit casting that only attracts certain mindsets....attention to detail, rabid tinkeritis, and a twisted curiosity that makes us seem familiar to one another.

On the other hand it probably has more to do with the internet. Never before has it been so easy for people with niche hobbies to easily find one another and share information. Pretty strange that todays cutting edge technology is responsible for bringing together people engaged in 19th century handloading and ballistics.

See you all at the " flying pig"

ammohead

jballs918
12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
just wondering if a date has been set yet, i leave to put in for leave to make sure that i can make it there. the end of may is busy for us, so i was just wondering.

cobbmtmac
12-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Bruc B. & All

Just want you all to know Marlene, her & onceabull's mother, Marjorie, and I plan to be there. Later in May is better for us, but whenever is fine. So we will watch for you to etch the date in stone!
Can't waite, Mac

brian
12-18-2005, 11:08 PM
BruceB,
I guess I live a sheltered life. First I've heard of the Nevada CB shoot. Besides having fun and being safe about it, are there any kind of "rules" as to what kind of Pb slinger(s) to bring? What kind / style of competitions are there? Standard distance hipower silhouette? NRA conventional high power? 100/200 yard group/score? Palma 800/900/1000? Just making noise? Fruit shoots? Are attendees grouped into like firearms classes? (bolt guns/leverguns/SA/etc) or iron sight/scope sight or??? Please let me know when/where for 2006. It sounds like fun.
best regards,
brian (brianmeyer@qwest.net)

45nut
12-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Hey Brian,
NCBS is rather a informal shoot,25-50 100 yards is the norm ,,we had a range issue pop up last year that cut the longer stuff out. we have all flavors of lead propelling instruments to ponder on,shoot and even have a bit of fun with. Leverguns and boltguns are most common is the long gun categories,,and elsewhere. Revolvers and pistols abound,single shots are seen and shot. And
yes,,iron sights and scoped guns are classed differently for the paper targeting events. We have events including stake shoot's and such for the team stuff,and it all happens in Winnemucca NV.
May is the month,the exact weekend has not been set in stone for this year however,anytime now though.
Fun and comeraderie is the rule,sampling different guns and such is a pattern,bragging rights don't mean much except to the winners ....:D

BruceB
12-19-2005, 03:05 PM
After much contemplation, consulting of entrails, vissits to oracles and soothsayers, etc., etc., I now FORMALLY ANNOUNCE:

The 2006 Edition of the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot will be held here in Winnemucca NV...

....Ta-DAAAAAA....

on the weekend of May 19, 20, 21.

This should increase our chances of good weather (and warmer, so you'll see Yours Truly stewing in his own juices, on account of a personal thermostat jammed on the 'Arctic Circle' setting). It also moves us away from Mothers' Day and avoids the Memorial Day weekend as well.

Let the planning commence!

I'd suggest that all posts about this Shoot henceforth be made on THIS thread, so that nothing gets lost by oversight. Would this be a reasonable excuse for closing the other threads to further posts???

NVcurmudgeon
12-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Bruce, Maybe the NCBS secret agent, code name "Ken" can consolidate the threads. Interesting how much early interest in NCBS there has been this year. The new poster names are especially gratifying. Hope they all show up! If they attend once, they will be addicted.

45nut
12-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Threads are indeed now merged,,,

9.3X62AL
01-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Call me "slow on the uptake", but I just now read the established dates for NCBS 2006. Cool deal.

Jeffreytooker
01-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Ammohead,

Pat:

I am 30 Mi east of Red Bluff on 36, starting Mid February when I retire. Where are you? I plan to go to Winnamucca in May. I have to look at a map. If I remember correctly there is a more direct route than Reno and Hwy 80.

Jeffrey

Jeffreytooker
01-04-2006, 11:49 PM
[
The 2006 Edition of the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot will be held here in Winnemucca NV...
on the weekend of May 19, 20, 21.

Bruce, NV, Et Al:

I am new to this list. I am adicted to lead and gunpowder. I have been shooting Cast Boolits for a number if years. Short of death I will be there 19 may. I am about 80 Mi West of Susanville.

You were talking shift at the mine. I worked an open pit in Globe Az. from 80 to 86. It was a copper mine but we pulled a little precious metal too.

At the match will informal groups compete, say like every body bring your Mosin Nagant we are going to shoot whatever the preferred course of fire is? Is there RV power (120v) at the range or do we have to go to the RV park?

You said long range shooting distance is determined by the Rools comittee. In general how much pai allar is this? Over or under 300 yds? And is this in groups like the shorter stuff.

More later.

Jeffrey

Gunload Master
01-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Can someone edit this map to add a star at almost the exact location of the event?

I am going to try and get a web page setup talking about the NCBS with some driving instructions and maybe some Q and A.

Gunload Master
01-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Also, can someone write up some articles about NCBS 2006, maybe about what's planned, where to meet, what to bring, anything and everything someone would want to know about it. Just so I can add them to the webpage to make things a bit easier for people.
Just Private Message them to me.
Thanks

NVcurmudgeon
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Willly, As you will be heading south on 95 to get to Winnemucca, look for the jet fighter and helicopter mounted on poles on the right (west) side of the road, about one mile before you get to the center of downtown. These two aircraft mark the location of the National Guard. Turn in as if you were going to the Guard, but make an immediate right onto a dirt road that parallels 95 and has you heading north. After about 1/4 mile you will see a sign pointing to the range. As for what to expect, read all of this thread. The shooting part of the NCBS has been spelled out in detail.

NVcurmudgeon
01-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Jeff, there is no RV power at the range. The long range match is fired on gongs, offhand with iron sights. Usually the first relay is five shots. Inevitably there are ties which require shoot-offs. Because of range restrictions in recent years "long range" has been 100 yd. with the gong size greatly reduced to compensate. Rather than "everybody bring your M-N," it's more like everybody bring your whatever. All rifles compete equally, as long as sights are equal, iron vs. iron. scope vs. scope. It is unbelieveably informal. Some one will say so others can hear, "I'm going to shoot my iron sight rifle group, now." That insures that all targets entered are witnessed, and usually somebody will volunteer to spot. After an individual has shot his target, the witness will sign it. If it's better than the current leader, it becomes the new leader, and the previous leader is erased from the board.

Buckshot
01-23-2006, 07:24 AM
..............Well DAMN IT!!!!!!!!! I am sorry to say I won't be able to attend this year. I had just told Deputy AL that I would be able to go. I didn't know the date had been changed until just now reading this thread. I was able to get the traditional dates in May for myself, as the vacation times were being posted by all us here in the office. I have the first weekend in May off, sheesh!

Major issue is that personel wise here at work there is NO slack. If someone calls in sick, that means someone stays an extra 6 hours and someone else has to start 6 hours early to cover. The terminal manager is the 'fill' guy during vacations. So when us 2 weekend guys have vacation, poor Bill works his week, my weekend, his next week and then the other guys schedule.

It would be too tedious and complicated trying to explain why I just can't ask the other guy about swapping, as there is a weekday guy also involved during the new shoot dates. Crap! That shoots rat blasting in Cedarville in the head too.

To any of you new guys, or people that have never been, you really REALLY NEED to go. It's not that you should go, it's you NEED to go. It really is one big family deal, and I mean that literally.

It was Ammohead back in 1999 who brought up the whole idea to begin with. There were several active posters on the Shooters.Com BB, cast bullets board who lived within a reasonable distance of each other to make a get together not unthinkable. As the months past the concept firmed up to the point that a place (Topaz Lake, NV) and time was agreed upon.

Now this comprised several fully grown adult males who had been communicating via the net and the board for a couple years. One thing we forgot was each other's real names or pictures of what we looked like 8). So we showed up. I remember being somewhat uncomfortable standing there at the desk of the motel, wife at my side, and trying to figure out some halfway intelligent way to ask the nice lady there if any other guys had shown up, who liked to shoot cast lead from guns.

Donna turned and said, "You don't even know anyone's name?" Ah, no was the somewhat sheepish reply. However as it turned out we all somehow seemed to clan up and gravitate together. I remember that night as the entire 1st annual Cast Lead Bullet fellowship sat around 2 tables pushed together in the upstairs bar. That first Rooles Kommittee meeting consisted of drinking and screaming at each other back and forth over the table, as the band was like ten feet away and you couldnt hear crap.

Donna had won $100 on the slots so for dinner we had prime rib and all the BS with a couple others.

The next morning we were going to caravan to the shooting spot. Problem was there were 2 seperate parking lots we were split between. Each group thought they were supposed to wait for the other group. It's just luck that we're not still sitting there waiting. We eventually did get it all ironed out and we moved on out.

You can go to www.castpics.net and then 'Events' and click on Topaz 2000 to see the original cast and crew and a few other photos of the event. For a rough and ready hasty put together, it was a real blast. We had targets out to 600 yards. I would also like to say we were shooting in a hurricane, which the locals call a mere zephyer of a breeze. When you shoot a golfball cannon and the golf ball only goes 30 yards, and then makes a sharp 90 degree left turn and heads for Idaho it's a bit more then a breeze.

My one major triumph was to hit the steel plate at 600 yards with a 1871 Mauser shooting a 475gr boolit. I think I held about 8' into the 'breeze' to do it. As has become the rule, so far as shooting went it everyone saying, "Here, try this, or here, shoot this and see what you think".

In the years since it has remained the same. When the group stake shoots were first put on, a couple shooters were short ammo for guns they'd brought (shooting is fast and furious) there was no problem in finding a rifle or pistol loaner to compete with. A word here is that in anticipation of these 2 group events (one rifle and one pistol) that you make sure you have sufficient ammo for one of each event!

Originally the stake shoots were just that. Each team at the 'GO" signal tried to shoot a board in half. Winning team was that with the shortest time. At the first such rifle event the rifle boolits were zipping right through without making much of an impression. As it turned out it was called at 6 minutes and bullet holes were counted. I remember Curmudgeon's Springfield barrel was smoking. After that the boards were particle board and since changed to ballons. Yet peestols with their fat lumbering slugs still do a number on the wood.

One year it was clay birds on nails stuck into celotex ceiling panels. It was tough hitting those birds. However BruceB's wife Karen came up with a novel answer. She merely hit rocks in front with the 404 Jeffery and the resultant shrapnel literally ground sluiced the birds off! Speaking of Karen, a previous year during the team rifle shoot she'd run out of ammo for the 30-06 (I think she was shooting). She grabbed up the 416 Rigby and unleashed a shot that flatly rocked her back on her heels! She hurridly laid that one down and hunted up something else.

I think the first year Powderburner came he was all loaded up with blackpowder. During the pistol team shoot not only did he do a good job of obscuring the team's target, he also did a bangup job of pretty well gassing them into submission. Lesson here is to shoot upwind of those afflicted with BP :-) BruceB's capable daugher Kim was banging away in a team pistol event when she discovered daddy had ill supplied her with ammo. There was a heated father/daughter conversation of where additional ammo might be located.

While such things are fun, they are NOT taken lightly, believe you me!

A suggestion here. For the team pistol event: Use a pistol with a swingout cylinder. Shoot wadcutters. If it's a stake, aim for the black stripe! Once well perforated aim for the top of the board to snap it off!

For the team rifle event: Use a rifle that either feeds very well or that you can just drop a round into, lockup and shoot. Trust me here, a Trapdoor Springfield is just about tits! Assign areas of the target to each member.

I don't know how the Rooles Komittee will treat those firearms with box or detacheable magazines this year.

Buckshot
01-23-2006, 07:25 AM
...........................Speaking of the Rooles Kommittee. Watch them VERY closely. A more heathenish bunch of near do wells you're more likely to never meet again in one place. They can be twisty slithery devils and hard to pin down. Working with them is like herding ferrets.

Ammohead may offer you money for points on the long range off hand shoot. Don't do it. He's so far behind me he'll do anything to catch up.

They're all great, every single one. Idabull, Mac, TimB, Urny, their wives and all the rest, or whoever else new comes, you'll have a blast. Seems like last time the shooting got off to a little slower start then usual. In fact it was remarked upon and the answer was that we were all more interested in talking and catching up then shooting at first. The family reunion deal I guess?

I'll sure miss it! Maybe something will happen and I can come. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

......................Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
01-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Rick, I hate the idea of your not being at NCBS VII almost as much as I do most CA politicians. Ammohead really started something, including a whole bunch of friendships. Have no fear, the party of "the long range match will be fired offhand with iron sights as God intended," will be a powerful voting bloc on the Rools Committy. Thanks for bringing up some of the great memories of NCBS past.

onceabull
01-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Buckshot: the "pits" for news re:your missing NCBS '06 and the Modoc rat shoot..I've been putting by all manner of arcane bit/pieces with the hope of laying something off on ya in trade for some of the fine machine work you've been putting up !! looking at the price Meacham needs for their push-through sizers, I'd speculate you could easily find a part-time retirement niche !! still hoping to see you there.....Onceabull

ammohead
01-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Ammohead may offer you money for points on the long range off hand shoot. Don't do it. He's so far behind me he'll do anything to catch up.
......................Buckshot[/QUOTE]

Sad news indeed. I knew this chase of fair weather would be costly.

But really...."so far behind me he'll do anything to catch up". I left before the last round year before last and still tied with y'all. But not having the competition is sure to throw my game off. Likely I'll have to pay someone to cough and blow cigarette smoke at me while I shoot to get me in the groove. Could someone bring a loud hawiian shirt!

Aw, this ain't right!

No chance of an early "digger" shoot as D Al and I talked about a while back, say a April fools soiree?

Bad news indeed.

ammohead

ammohead
01-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Can someone edit this map to add a star at almost the exact location of the event?

I am going to try and get a web page setup talking about the NCBS with some driving instructions and maybe some Q and A.

We already have a webpage for this event. We're reading it.

Go north out of Winnemucca on hwy 95. Turn left just past the tank and helicopter then an immediate right. Them what can't find it from there sure ain't gonna find no webpage. As founder and number 1 fan of this event I would hate to see it promoted beyond those who found these pages through their own curiosity and love for cast bullets. I hope to see all of you there.

ammohead

NVcurmudgeon
01-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Don't worry about competition, ammohead. Even without Buckshot, you will still have to contend with Jaremy, who adds insult to injury by not EVER practicing, and the deadly Deputy Al who can make smallbores speak his language.

mike in co
01-24-2006, 01:20 AM
hmmmmm well no commitment...but i'm trying to fit this in this year.
i have another mauser 7.62 parker/hale bbl rifle( 45 you listening).....the 44 rem mag, and who knows what else,,,,,one or both of the ar10's , a couple cz pistols.....some nice mil surp rifles....

9.3X62AL
01-25-2006, 12:08 PM
That would be SOME smallbores, Curmudgeon. If I had 10% of the wizardry you assign me, I should be able to wrest better accuracy from the 25-20 WCF than I have so far.

I have no clue what I'll bring this year. Some of the things I plan on messing with this year are the M-73 x 44-40, the 9.3 x 62 with the better scope now aboard, and the Broomhandle needs to have the cobwebs blown out of its bore for sure. The first and last examples have been laid aside for a while, and need a warm-up at least.

jballs918
01-25-2006, 01:23 PM
just a quick question we are allowd to bring non casted, i got a ruger 10/22 i want to shoot i love that gun

ammohead
01-26-2006, 09:30 AM
just a quick question we are allowd to bring non casted, i got a ruger 10/22 i want to shoot i love that gun

J

Swaged is close enought to cast to qualify for general shooting. For our rigidly structured competition however you will be limited to cast projectiles only.

ammohead

9.3X62AL
01-26-2006, 11:22 PM
"........rigidly structured competition......". OH, RIGHT!

ammohead
01-27-2006, 12:38 AM
"........rigidly structured competition......". OH, RIGHT!

25-35s shooting alongside 577/450 martinis. Hey we run a tight ship.

ammohead

Buckshot
01-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Aw, this ain't right!

No chance of an early "digger" shoot as D Al and I talked about a while back, say a April fools soiree?

Bad news indeed.

ammohead

..............I'm afraid not. Being as I work for a company that has to show a profit, we're lot exactly overloaded with people. In fact if someone calls in sick we're screwed. I hate the idea of missing the whole entire week. It would start about 2100 Monday night as we depart So. Calif, 0800 arrive Cedarville have breakfast after checking in and commence strafing ground squirrels for the next couple days. A nice scenic ride over to Winnemucca looking forward to good company, good shooting and more good food.

Al has been talking about a closer varmint hunt for one of my 4 day off stretches. Hopefully the word gets out to Tim and the other Denio crowd, and those from Fallon and etc about the date change.

................Buckshot

ammohead
02-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Got my vacation request approved. I have Friday and Monday off. Should be in Winnemucca Friday for breakfast at the Griddle at the latest, but most likely dinner at the Martin Hotel Thursday night.

ammohead

PatMarlin
02-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Winds up I'll be so busy this year that I could prolly break away and attend the meet, but I've got no time to work up any loads to enter.. :violin:

9.3X62AL
02-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Pat--

There will be no end of choices, don't worry as to that.

NVcurmudgeon
02-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Pat, show up, you can shoot my guns, including my .35 Whelen that various somebodies have been beating me with almost every NCBS since 2000.

PatMarlin
02-22-2006, 01:59 AM
.. well that's a lock, win win, no brainer NV. :mrgreen:

I appreciate that, and sure would like to meet you guys in person.

TimB
03-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Lori and I are definitely getting read to see everyone again. We will miss not having Buckshot. I already have been loading 50 armys for the rolling block pistol, 45/70's for the Lee and Hotchkiss and maybe a borchardt in that caliber. I have a couple of .30 caliber moulds coming so I should get the Krag and Springfields ready by May. I finally have been doing the loading and case prep that I planned to do all winter going the last few weeks. Can't wait for May

See you all then

TimB

onceabull
03-15-2006, 02:42 PM
TimB: Good to see you/Lori again: On that Lee,enjoyed handling/shooting yours so did not pass when one went by me, got a 30/30 too, so the 30/40 has company on either side... see you soon...Onceabull (and Mrs. Joy)

ammohead
03-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Can't wait for May

See you all then

TimB

Tim,

I was wondering if maybe you would opt for Dead Eye Dick's shoot that same weekend here in Smith. I have been looking forward to the gong shoot, and then realized that it and NCBS are on the same weekend. I am looking forward to seeing you and Lori in Winnemucca, along with everyone, veteran and newbie alike.

ammohead

TimB
03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Ammohead,
It was a hard choice but we had to go to Winnemucca orver the Dick's gong shoot. It will be nice for Lori as Fiday morning is the last day for her school year. We have already decided to bring two vehicles so I won't miss the noon lunch. My only problem is the Doc says my liquid refreshments can't have caffeine or alcohol. This of course after we have gotten in home brews of the micro brew style. I will bring some for the Saturday night get together so anyone brave enough can see what can be done with your own hand.

TimB

ammohead
03-17-2006, 12:33 AM
My only problem is the Doc says my liquid refreshments can't have caffeine or alcohol. This of course after we have gotten in home brews of the micro brew style. I will bring some for the Saturday night get together so anyone brave enough can see what can be done with your own hand.

TimB

Don't feel like the lone ranger. I have been nearly alcohol free since August. I have gout, and beer is the worse thing for it. But for a taste of your home brew I just may have to make an exception. In moderation of course. I am looking forward to another go at cowboy action shooting. I had a great time last year.

ammohead

TimB
04-08-2006, 12:29 PM
The weather is hinting that it wants me to go out and shoot, but then it rains. I'm getting cabin fever. Come on, guys, let's see some more on this thread!
TimB

onceabull
04-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Spent past Tuesday Evening & Wednesday AM in Winnemucca,woke to maybe 2" white groundcover and more coming,snowed all the way north to Orygun Stateline, Humboldt R. as high as this oldtimer has ever seen it,but understand that it is still rising,,Water standing in roadway and farmyards where Jordan Cr. flows west , suburban J.V.Orygun.May need the extra time this year to dry things up a tad. Probably 102-104 d. wkend of 5/20. Onceabull [smilie=1:

Buckshot
04-16-2006, 03:20 AM
The weather is hinting that it wants me to go out and shoot, but then it rains. I'm getting cabin fever. Come on, guys, let's see some more on this thread!
TimB

I don't wanna post anything because it just reminds me I won't be there, and I'll miss whupping up on Ammohead in the long range rifle match. Guess I'll just leave that to Jeremy to take care of my light work :-) He's a fine young man and I'll miss seeing him right along with everyone else.

So far as shooting goes I'm going to miss the rifle and team pistol matches the most. Of course I'm getting a bit tired of my peestol team mates chasing me around afterwards with sticks and calling me bad names.

But then again I'll miss the Rooles Kommittee meeting (those cretins) the Saturday BBQ, and Sunday at Ormachea's with everyone else in the resturant wondering, "Who ARE those people?".

If you can go and you don't, then shame on you for what you missed.

.....................Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
04-16-2006, 10:29 AM
We'll all miss you, too, Buckshot. Especially your advocacy of "shooting offhand, with iron sights as God intended." Now that's two votes for Jaremy as a "fine young man." The other is from Deputy Al. Dunno if I'll tell him, he's arrogant enough over the long range match wins! Worse, I count myself lucky if i can get him out to the range for practice once a year. I keep telling him one must suffer and struggle to achieve skill, but he pays no attention.

9.3X62AL
04-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, looking forward to NCBS my own self--gonna miss old Bucksnort, though. I might have to stop in the Sierras on the trip up or the trip back to snag a trout or 2, also.

BruceB
04-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Time rushes onward, and I'd like to have an inkling of just how many folks intend to be here for the 2006 Shoot (May 19-21, remember).

Please include any additional people you intend bringing, shooters or not, so we can calculate restaurant seating, etc for everyone. I reckon you might as well post your intentions here, as I still have glitches in my e-mail and other computer-oriented stuff.

I had an inquiry re: shooting positions, so thought I'd answer here for everyone's benefit. We will have heavy folding tables and chairs which have served well enough in years past for shooting (with your own sandbags or rests etc.). As noted MANY times, this is not a big-league "match" on a formal range. In fact, it's anything BUT formal.

The Saturday Night Blowout, held at my place for several years now, is currently getting some serious re-consideration by my home front, with perhaps a new idea or three. It might even be a secret until the famished horde arrives that night, but I can promise that you won't leave hungry, no matter what!

Using all the previous Shoots as reference, I can also promise that we will have one heck of a good time! If at all possible, try to get here, even if you can't bring any personally-owned artillery. You WILL do a lot of shooting, believe me....

Gunload Master
04-27-2006, 08:02 PM
I did end up getting a different job which is going to work me Mon-Fri, and I doubt if I can get that Friday off. So my plans have changed somewhat, but I will be leaving saturday morning (say 3 A.M.) so I can arrive at the range around 9ish. I was really hoping to come Friday and mingle some more, but... what do you do.

I've been trying to work up some cast loads for my weatherby.. Hopfully it will be shooting good enough to take some of you on :)

Count me in for sure Bruce!

onceabull
04-27-2006, 08:39 PM
BruceB: We( himself, mrs.oncebull, CobbMtMac &Wife ,and Mom) expect to meet you/all at The Griddle noon 5/19.. unless otherwise advised. I will bring accumulated "treasures" that I carried down earlier this month,and found no one is residence during the short time we had available.. Fear not, the prices will be the same..:twisted: !! Onceabull :twisted:

9.3X62AL
04-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Bruce--

Traveling solo, would like to be in town in time for the Friday noon meet at the Griddle--that's a little iffy right now. Will be at the Rules Committee meeting for sure--izzat going to be at the Flying Pig? Should also attend all other following events.

Onceabull--

I'll do my darnedest to remember all rents, molds, and other obligations this year.

Jeffreytooker
04-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Bruce B:

Like Al I will be there solo. Have made reservations in town. Will be there by noon Friday. Is the Griddle on the main drag? I will be shooting all rifle events no pistol. Will bring at least two rifles and plenty of ammo and stuff.

Jeffrey

NVcurmudgeon
04-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Bruce and y'all, I expect to make the scene at the Griddle at noon. Traveling with me will be my partner of recent years, stepson Jaremy. He promises to parctice this weekend, so when he beats me with my own rifle at least I won't suffer the humiliation of being beaten by a young smart alec who hasn't popped a cap since last year's NCBS. I will be bringing with me the traditional and prestigious Golden Wheelweight awards, and the usual 50 yd. pistol centers (8" black bull.) For uniformity, score events will use these targets. For group events, you may use these targets or bring whatever you want. Looking forward to seeing friends old and new.

Jeffreytooker
04-28-2006, 12:31 AM
NV:

What is the drive time (70MPH) from Reno to Winnemucca?

Jeffrey

Buckshot
04-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Bruce B:

Like Al I will be there solo. Have made reservations in town. Will be there by noon Friday. Is the Griddle on the main drag? I will be shooting all rifle events no pistol. Will bring at least two rifles and plenty of ammo and stuff.

Jeffrey

Jeff, trust me that there will be a pistol available for you to use, at least in the team pistol matches if no other!

Buckshot
04-28-2006, 03:03 AM
.............BruceB, you might seriously consider starting a thread on the Cast Boolits forum, and list the various matches and stuff. Probably be more visible there. Just a thought.

..................Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
04-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Jeff, 2.5 hours Reno to Winnemucca. Excellent freeway all the way. Construction in Reno, but no road closure, just slow to 50 for five miles or so.

NVcurmudgeon
04-28-2006, 02:24 PM
.............BruceB, you might seriously consider starting a thread on the Cast Boolits forum, and list the various matches and stuff. Probably be more visible there. Just a thought.

Buckshot, there is a run-down of events on page two of this thread, post #26. I just made reservations at the motel you and D.A. have stayed at in past years. I used your illustrious names as references. The lady who took my reservation said that you two did NOT shoot out the lights or bring in a horde of wild women. I told her, "yes it's sad to see good friends getting old and tame."

9.3X62AL
04-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Bill, yer just a panic at times.

If courtroom nonsense goes in orderly fashion, I'd like to be in town Thursday evening. If not, I'll leave at zero-dark-thirty on Friday morning from the People's Republic and likely get into town just in time to check in--unload--and get to the Pig for health food and ginger ale.

Right.

Jeffreytooker
04-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Jeff, 2.5 hours Reno to Winnemucca. Excellent freeway all the way. Construction in Reno, but no road closure, just slow to 50 for five miles or so.

NV:

Thanks for the info. I will probably leave my place around six. Should be there for lunch.

Jeffrey

Jeffreytooker
04-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Jeff, trust me that there will be a pistol available for you to use, at least in the team pistol matches if no other!

Buckshot:

I know this verges on heresy but I do not (yet) own a revolver which is not rim fire. I have a 9mm FEG (Copy of Browning HP) Which I have put about 20 rounds through and do not reload for. I am a bit shakey of hand and stick pretty much to rifles.

Jeffrey

TimB
05-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Bruce,
I plan on being at the Griddle at noon and Lori will be bringing my Dad and his wife and will be there in time for Friday night. I know you said you had computer problems so I wonder if you saw the private message for a couple of weeks ago?

TimB

ammohead
05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=Jeffreytooker]Buckshot:

I know this verges on heresy but I do not (yet) own a revolver

Jeff,

No need to apologize to buckshot for not being proficient with "Steenking Peestols". Years back he had us believing that he couldn't shoot one. Turns out he was sandbagging the whole time, waiting for the $$$ to show. Well we waited him out and soon enough he showed his hand. A regular Arnie Oakley he was. Second only to Skeeter Feldman and Elmo Kief. A leather slappin sixgunner if'n I ever saw one.

Just a warning to all of you out there. If a friendly enough looking gentleman in a straw hat and hawiian shirt want to shoot for money.....beware.

ammohead

Oh yeah, I should with any luck get to Winnemucca by myself Thursday night, and will hanging out either at "Players" or a high brow pub I heard of called the "Mine Shaft" or something like that. Wonder if I'll need a tie?

MT Gianni
05-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Wish I could be there, Ammohead will you be towing the Crapper? Gianni.

9.3X62AL
05-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Gianni--

Ammohead was promoted/transferred to another field of endeavor--the Casey Detail has been assumed by me for the past couple years. Now, if yer volunteering to accept the job........

Got the room reserved at the Santa Fe. Just a couple weeks to go!

Jeffreytooker
05-03-2006, 11:50 PM
<Just a warning to all of you out there. If a friendly enough looking gentleman in a straw hat and hawiian shirt want to shoot for money.....beware.

ammohead>

Unless there is a late change "El Pistolero con una camisa de Hawiia" will not be attending. So I am safe for this year. However it sounds like we will not be lacking for Pistoleros.

<or a high brow pub I heard of called the "Mine Shaft" or something like that. Wonder if I'll need a tie?>

If it takes more than jeans and a dungaree shirt they do not need my money. I should be in by noon Friday. Still tweaking rifle loads.

Jeffrey

NVcurmudgeon
05-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Ammohead, please don't wear a tie in Winnemucca! You'll get us all invited to the wrong kind of "necktie party."

BruceB
05-04-2006, 12:45 AM
"Oh yeah, I should with any luck get to Winnemucca by myself Thursday night, and will hanging out either at "Players" or a high brow pub I heard of called the "Mine Shaft" or something like that. Wonder if I'll need a tie?"

Ahem... I have it on good authority (meaning: I WAS NOT repeat NOT INVOLVED) that on a number of occasions, certain local wimminfolk have "pulled a train" on the bar at Players' in the late hours. If'n you don't understand the term, ask someone else, cuz I'm not going any further than that.

Compared to the Mineshaft, that activity is pretty-near Sunday-School-innocence. Some nights, it doesn't matter WHAT you're wearing; it becomes more a problem of RETAINING what you're wearing. In all seriousness, get your back in a chair against the wall and keep your eyes open...some very bad stuff has happened in that dive.

ammohead
05-04-2006, 08:59 AM
[In all seriousness, get your back in a chair against the wall and keep your eyes open...some very bad stuff has happened in that dive.[/QUOTE]

Just having some fun.

I have been at the Mine Shaft but never after dark. But I do like Players. Never had anything pulled there, but you can see the tracks from there.

When is "Run a Mucca" this year? That must be a good weekend for television and other stay at home activities!

ammohead

Urny
05-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I plan to be there for Saturday and Sunday, not too sure about Friday though. Herself is in Colorado attending to her father, who is 91 and in the hospital with pneumonia, but hopes to be back for the two days. I'll send you a PM, Bruce, about the lunch for Saturday.

Urny
Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Buckshot
05-05-2006, 12:50 AM
..............Ammohead, well I certainly do appreciate you lining me up with the likes of Scooter Feldman and Elmo Kief, but I assure you anything positive that I happen to do with a handgonne is pure luck and generally not repeatable with the next few thousand rounds. However, I WILL say that a nice well setup handgun is a pleasure to use. My K38 is proof that even a handgun nincompoop can get lucky on occassion.

BTW, were I still single I might have joined you at either fine establishment, although I'm astonished to hear that about Players. I spent several hours there in the very late and extremely early morning hours 2 years ago, not wanting to wake up the night clerk at the Santa Fe. I did see a rather inebriated X girlfriend light into her former boyfriend who was present with another female. But that was the only entertainment at the time.

MT Gianni, yup Deputy Al has been promoted to cy-bo transport. I understand that after Ammohead's stunt of pulling it down Winnemucca Blvd with it's door flapping open and long streamers of toilet paper gayly flapping in the breeze behind, the local Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center voiced their concern.

9.3X62AL
05-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Just a minute, just one minute.......we see again the serial and ongoing SCAM being run by Buckshot regarding his alleged lack of handgun skills. We Burrito Contingent members see and hear this drag pretty frequently, so we recognize it instinctively. The Panama hat and Hawaiian shirt are part and parcel of the con. See the Newman/Redford film "The Sting" for further confirmation of the methods used and results gained.

I should note FOR THE RECORD that Mr. Richard Buckshot is quite capable of wringing some right fine accuracy out of aging surplus S&W M&P's chambered to the humble 38 S&W, as well as some scary-accurate work with a Taurus 38 Super.

I ain't buyin' it, Richard--not one molecule of it.

ammohead
05-07-2006, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=Deputy Al]Just a minute, just one minute

Yeah, like you said.

And while we are on the subject of clearing things up....let me state with all certainty that I have never had anything "gayly" flapping in the breeze, and definately not in Winnemucca. That stream of toilet paper was as masculine a display as I have ever seen. Just because it was a pink porta-potty being pulled by a yellow chiffon wagoneer doesn't mean anything!

I'm not the one driving around in the desert in a cabriolet convertable wearing an ascot (whatever that is).

ammohead

flhroy
05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
ammohead run-a-mucca happens over memorial-day week-end. This year it will be the week-end of the 28th.

9.3X62AL
05-09-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm not the one driving around in the desert in a cabriolet convertable wearing an ascot (whatever that is).

Me neither. It's parked in the driveway, and I don't own an ascot.

ammohead
05-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Oops, sorry Al for some reason I thought the Volkswagen was buckshot's er Donna's. Just having some fun.

ammohead

Brazos
05-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi Bruce B! I plan on being at the Griddle Friday noon, and for all festivities until late Sunday night. I'll be alone - with only a half ton of iron this time.

sundog
05-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Pics for castpics folks. sundog

9.3X62AL
05-10-2006, 01:19 AM
I was tooling around today and this evening in the Cabrio, since having the clutch renewed several days ago. I filled the tank, and it got 34 MPG since the last fuel investment. Very tempting, that--it's about a 1200 mile round trip, and it contrasts well against the 14-17 MPG in the F-250 or Cherokee. I'll be sure to remove the RESTORE MONO LAKE license plate bracket, too. I might have a replacement made up--CHARLIE DON'T SURF........NEITHER DOES AL QUAEDA.

Please note the ensemble--ball cap, golf shirt, blue jeans, hiking boots. What IS an ascot, anyway? Is it one of those scarf things that the French wear with a beret?

wills
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I
Please note the ensemble--ball cap, golf shirt, blue jeans, hiking boots. What IS an ascot, anyway? Is it one of those scarf things that the French wear with a beret?

How about this

9.3X62AL
05-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Wills. So, it's sort of a limp-wristed Windsor knot kind of thing, then.

Regardless of vehicle, that sort of apparel won't be happening. Ever.

NVcurmudgeon
05-10-2006, 02:59 PM
When I outgrew my circa 1985 suit, about five years ago, I donated it and all ties (not an ascot in the bunch) to charity. Since them I have worn only work clothes or western clothes. Anything that requires fancier feathers can get by without me.

Gunload Master
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Holy cow!

NCBS is in about 1 week! I better get reloading.

ammohead
05-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Al,

Ascot or no ascot, the question is, does the cabrio have a hitch, or am I back to biffy towing detail? It just won't be the same without Ol'Yeller. At least the heart of the yellow wagoneer will live on. I am putting the 360 V8 with 4bbl in my CJ7. Then I too can cruize around in a convertible, no ascot please!

Spent all of my free time for the last 2 weeks casting, lubing and loading, then cleaning firearms. And I still have some loads to do this weekend. Gonna be alot of lead flying in Humbolt Co.

ammohead

BruceB
05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
As far as I now know, the following list includes all who have indicated their intentions (in no particular order):

Jaremy

Willy

Idabull (onceabull...grin) with Wife and Mom

CobbmtnMac and Wife

JeffreyTooker

TimB and Lori

Powderburner

Urny and Linda

Brazos

45nut

ammohead

Deputy Al

NV Curmudgeon

BruceB with Wife and Daughter

I'll be making final arrangements in the next few days. There seems to be considerable support for going to the Flying Pig on Friday....is okay, yes???? Ormachea's Dinner House on Sunday as per usual, since it's not only tradition now, but the food is so darned good! Saturday BBQ at our place, also as before.

That list above has only 21 folks on it. Nobody else??? We'd all sure like to meet more of y'all in person.

bdoyle
05-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Well,
I am planning on being there at some point. Don't know if I will drag out the trailer on friday eveing or just do a Saturday bonsi run. Too many things in the air right now but I will be there if only for a few hours on Sat.

Brian

9.3X62AL
05-11-2006, 07:02 PM
About an hour ago, my NCBS trip got a real schedule changer......an (expletives deleted) court appearance! Case starts May 16, and I'm hoping that the Court does its usual "no trials on Friday", so that I can do my 2003 deal all over again--haul a-- on Friday to get to the Rules Committee gig at The Pig, shoot on Saturday and attend the barbecue, then gotta go early Sunday morning to be back for Court on Monday.

If the Judge wants testimony on Friday, the trip is torpedoed completely. Right now, the trout fishing in the Sierras I wanted to do on the way to NCBS is history.

That was the bad news.......the GOOD news is that if I'm able to go, Marie will be coming with me. That will make for a quantum leap in class for the Deputy Al Contingent.

Some crossed fingers would be in order, methinks. One of these days, I might really get to retire.

Gunload Master
05-11-2006, 07:06 PM
can someone PM me a hotel's phone number up there? I better reserve a room just in case :)

Scrounger
05-11-2006, 08:11 PM
That was the bad news.......the GOOD news is that if I'm able to go, Marie will be coming with me. That will make for a quantum leap in class for the Deputy Al Contingent

That should really put that Buckshot character in his place....[smilie=l:

9.3X62AL
05-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Scrounger--

I was actually referring to my own profound lack of genteel manner--but I'll leave the matter alone at this juncture. :-)

NVcurmudgeon
05-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Bruce, Two who may be coming are Ken and Pat Marlin. Ominous silence from Nevada duke, I'll have to phone him. I have most of the team rifle target stuff rounded up, now for the drilling. I still have to pick up tyraps, but I plan to get those from the NAPA parts store, a parts man there has promised me a bucket of WW. Just another 400 rounds to load, dividends to cast for Onceabull, trophies to assemble, and last minute jobs for SWMBO!

PatMarlin
05-12-2006, 01:01 AM
As much as I'd like to attend Curmudgeon, I will have to pass this year.. :(

I just started a new business that maybe taking off, and I'm bustin' my butt to make it happen. I don't have any loads worked up, or boolits cast... well not what I want to work with. Haven't even been able to shoot.

I'd hate going empty handed with non of my shooters also, that would not be as fun.

Maybe next year I'll be rich so I can pay for gasoline.. :mrgreen:

BruceB
05-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Okay, here are times and places for get-togethers.

FRIDAY, May 19: Let's meet at The Griddle at ONE P.M., which will avoid most of the lunch crowd, OK??? ONE P.M., and I'll try to remember to wear my BruceB T-shirt so's at least I can be recognized by first-timers. Probably all we'll have to do is pick up tables and chairs, etc., so there'll be time for a good gab-fest.

FRIDAY, May 19: Rools Kommittee (That's ALL of us; we're all "on the Kommittee") will convene at the Flying Pig BBQ Restaurant at 6:30 pm. The Flying Pig is right on the main drag, across from the Model T hotel/casino, and shares a parking lot with Raley's Supermarket. Look for the pink neon pigs on the sign....hard to miss it! We'll be meeting in the back room, to the left of the bar.

SATURDAY, May 20: I reckon we'll probably start setting up at the range about 8 a.m. The range is just off Highway 95 at the north edge of Winnemucca. Turn in at the Veterans' Memorial Park (tanks, fieldpiece, Huey helicopter and F-86D Sabre fighter) and then IMMEDIATELY turn right onto the dirt road which parallels Hwy 95. A few hundred yards, and there are signs at the range gates. Urny and Linda have graciously offered to handle lunch arrangements for Saturday.

SATURDAY, May 20: Whenever the festivities wrap up at the range, we'll set a time for everyone to arrive for the shindig at the BruceB place. Directions will be forthcoming at the Shoot.

SUNDAY, May 21: Shooting will begin whenever enough (sober) participants can be rounded up to get the range set up. The closing dinner will be, as usual, at the wonderful Ormachea's Dinner House, commencing at 7 p.m. Bring your appetite!

45nut
05-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes..yes I will be there,just thought it was a given.

onceabull
05-13-2006, 02:04 PM
NvC & BruceB : I PM @ the Griddle is an improvement in my eyes,If I'm there first,I'll be the one with a goody bunch of ladies around me...AND at my stage of life,it's hard to beat DIVIDENDS for drawing power...!!.. Onceabull

BruceB
05-13-2006, 05:59 PM
The long-range weather forecast calls for low-80s and sunny through next weekend. Keep the ol' fingers crossed.

Buckshot
05-14-2006, 06:53 AM
That was the bad news.......the GOOD news is that if I'm able to go, Marie will be coming with me. That will make for a quantum leap in class for the Deputy Al Contingent

That should really put that Buckshot character in his place....[smilie=l:

..............HA! I don't care. Marie is definately NOT fat and hairy. Yup, she can even make Deputy Al look good so long as he is one step behind and one step to the right (sorry, couldn't hep ma'sef).

Maybe by next year I'll have made my big steady rest so I can bore my beercan morter out!? Not exactly field arty, but it should provide some entertainment for the little boy in all of us. Give us an excuse to generate some projectiles at BruceB's Saturday night, eh?

So if this works out weatherwise this year, does it look probable for the same next year?

TimB
05-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Bruce B,

My dad and his wife will also be attending NCBS this year, just to update your list.

TimB

7s&8s
05-16-2006, 09:53 PM
BruceB
See you there at the Griddle, presuming there's still space... been seriously distracted by rodent chasing of late... have to get busy with some loading.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Regards,
Tom

TimB
05-17-2006, 04:36 PM
If any one attending NCBS has a .25 cal mould they want to sell I am looking for something to try in a 25/20 single shot. The only one I have is a 87 grain Lyman gas check that so far hasn't worked with black powder for me.

TimB

45nut
05-17-2006, 05:08 PM
As long as yer mentioning such,,I will be looking for -06 and 308 brass. And I will have a few odd's and ends to trade as well as CB patches,a couple of bumper stickers and some 3x4 stickers.
I am almost ready......damn the torpedoes,full speed ahead for Winnemucca friday morning. Biggest question is ---------> "what will I forget?"

NVcurmudgeon
05-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Not to worry Ken, somebody will load you a rfle, and you'll probably beat him with it!

BruceB
05-18-2006, 12:09 AM
The time grows short!

We're eagerly anticipating seeing everyone on Friday (or Saturday, for later-arriving folks).

The weather forecast has gone slightly downhill, with Saturday's forecast calling for light rain, but Sunday's is just "considerable cloudiness". A great blessing for Yours Truly is that temps are expected to moderate, dropping from the 90s of the last few days, down to the low 70s. YES!!!!

If any of you have a tarp or two available, it might be good to bring 'em along. Last year, we had some great conversation under the tarpaulins during rain delays, so it's by no means a dead loss.

I hope someone who knows how to post photos here, brings his camera to record the goings-on. We need a LOT of photos! At some point too, the photos should be transferred from this site over to the Historical Annals at castpics.net.....I imagine sundog could manage that, once they're posted here.

Let the good times roll....

45nut
05-18-2006, 01:28 AM
I will be on camera duty as I can ,,I anticipate rolling a bunch of ammo through my guns if I can though....as well all do.
Laundry detail tommorrow as I have my arms and ammunition as ready as I can. I think...........

NVcurmudgeon
05-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Bruce, thanks for the reminder, I'll bring my 10' x 20' "Death to Yankee Imperialist Foreign Devils" model tarp.

Gunload Master
05-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm hoping to end up Saturday morning around 9 or 10 A.M. I'll bring a video camera and my digital camera for some stills. I didnt think I was going to make it this year (once again) due to money being tight and starting a new job. But I think everything is cleared up good enough to go....

45nut
05-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Excellent! You had been kinda quiet in the last few days and I was kinda wonderin'....
Gonna be a treat letting you burn some ammo thru some of my guns,I imagine you want to shoot the "Twins" some eh?
I am 98% packed and ready,,,,twas the might before ncbs....and a buncha guns were packed,,ammo in bags,ready to launch,,,headin for BruceB's country and gas aint gonna stop this trip.

Buckshot
05-21-2006, 08:13 AM
......................WHAT!!!!!!!!!! No Saturday update??!!!!?????!!!!!???? Can't you guys get anything right?

PatMarlin
05-21-2006, 10:44 AM
They're havin' to much fun without us Rick.. :coffee:

It's been raining up here like cats and dogs the last three days......? :roll:

SharpsShooter
05-21-2006, 01:18 PM
I been slaving in the garden / yard all weekend and come in here expecting to see at the very least a "Hah Ha we're having a blast post" but nada.

BruceB
05-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Well!!!!

As a matter of strick facks, we WUZ having too much fun to report in!!!

So, anyway, there we were at ten thousand feet with nothing but a thin blonde between us and the hard, hard ground.....oops, sorry, that was the part we weren't supposed to tell about....

The weekend opened with the casual lunch at The Griddle on Friday, which took about two hours. After that we did a couple minor chores around town, and then some of the crew came out to my place, where we assembled some targets and drank beer (naturally).

We had a very enjoyable Rools Kommittee soiree at the Flying Pig BBQ restaurant (and bar) on Friday evening. The usual run of tall tales and general updating since our last get-together took place, and everyone had a heck of a good time. We decided to start range set-up at 0800 Saturday, and so it came to pass. Ammohead graciously consented to do the picking-up and dropping-off of that vital accessory, the Porta-John. There was a minor scheduling conflict for Saturday morning, as a local group had booked the rifle range for a reduced-range NRA Military Match (and I didn't know about it). We set up on the 50-yard pistol range and amused ourselves until the rifle range was free, at about 1100 hrs.

It was particularly comical and interesting, to me anyhow, that even after the range was declared "hot" for shooting, virtually everyone was in deep conversation (meaning, BS-ing) and it took considerable time before any lead was flying.

Saturday weather was delightful, with some thin cloud, gentle breezes, and temps in the low 70s. Today was another very pleasant day at the beginning, but deteriorated as time moved on toward noon. As the winds rose higher and higher, we decided we'd best shoot the so-called "long range match" in early afternoonbefore it got worse. Good thing!

Target was an 18"x 24" plate set at 130 yards, which is as far as we can stretch our range. All the shooters in the event lined up together, and fired one round in sequence from left to right of the firing line. ONE miss, and you were out unless everyone else missed, too. After the first complete rotation, three shooters remained...TimB, BruceB and cobbmtnMac. By this time the wiind was about 40 mph with higher gusts, and large raindrops were falling. For standing offhand shooting, these are not ideal conditions, as you know. Mac and TimB each missed on the next attempt, and BruceB made a solid hit to win the match (blush).

The weather was so foul that we simply cancelled theTeam Handgun Match today; it was to have been be a stake-cutting competition wherein the shortest time taken to chop down an 8-inch wide board would win the match. Team Rifle was fired yesterday afternoon with three teams (drawn from a hat) each firing offhand at an arrray of thirty clay targets hung on plastic garden mesh at 60 yards. Six shooters per team, all three teams shooting at the same time, and unlimited rounds, led to a fast-and-furious match. Since all teams competed side-by-side, no timing was necessary. Great fun. I fired 22 rounds in "helping" my team win the match (well, at least I hit a FEW of the little suckers!).

45nut had a danged good weekend! He won the scoped-handgun group event with his .45-70 HANDGUN, with a 25-yard five-shot group of 0.55", or yer basic one-hole group. He also impressed all the troops with his .75-caliber flintlock pistol, including one round which literally rocked him back from his kneeling position and put him on his butt. In addition, he won the 100-yard scoped-rifle grouping event, with a group that measured precisely one inch.....except he that lost count and fired SIX rounds instead of five, and still made the one-inch mark!

NVCurmudgeon fired a sterling iron-sight rifle group (50 yards) of just 1.1". Ammohead made an offhand iron-sight score of 46-2x at 50 yards, and Curmudgeon's son, Jaremy, won the 100-yard scope score event, also offhand, with a 32/50. On the 50-yard handgun scored event, it was ammohead once again winning out, with 47 out of a possible 50 points.

I'm tickled that my M1A performed rather well for everyone who tried it. The load is just marginal for pressure, but a grain or two more powder should clean up some of the unburned powder appearing in the action, and also should cure the occasional failure to eject cleanly which appeared. Accuracy was sufficient to satisfy everyone who tried the rifle, I believe. (That was quite a few people, too. It wasn't a tough market at all.)

TimB, his wife Lori, and Powderburner (Dean) had a cowboy-action stage set up, and all the needed guns to try it were provided by them, along with ammo of course.

Urny and Linda put on the lunch on Saturday, including fresh, hot cornbread BAKED RIGHT ON THE RANGE. It was a gooooood lunch!

Due mostly to weather conditions, plus obligations at home in some cases, some shooters have already left Winnemucca. This will make the closing dinner a bit smaller, but we'll still have the memories of wonderful shared times with all our pals who attended.

I trust some others who were here will chime in, too. Mac and 45nut took a number of photos, so we'll hope to see those here as well.

9.3X62AL
05-22-2006, 12:33 AM
got home in good order at a little after 8 P.M., departed at a few minutes before 10 A.M. after breakfast at The Griddle. 587 miles from the Santa Fe to our driveway. Pretty good rain from Walker Lake to Benton, thinned out after that. A quick lunch in Bishop, then under way again. Very little traffic until we got to I-15, and The Sunday Vegas Return Gridlock is back in full effect. 25-35 MPH from the summit to the I-215 break.

It sure was good to see everyone again, and we should be headed back that way for a longer and more leisurely stay in July. More to follow, after others check in.

wills
05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
......................WHAT!!!!!!!!!! No Saturday update??!!!!?????!!!!!???? Can't you guys get anything right?

You werent there to supervise, what do you expect? I wonder when we will get to see the pictures of the deliberations.

PatMarlin
05-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I was wondering if the storms were gonna work over that way. It's been raining heren and windy for 4 days now.

Sounds like everyone had fun. I'll be there next time around fo sho.. :drinks:

NVcurmudgeon
05-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Curmudgeon and Jaremy arrived safely home about 12N today. As usual, this was another installment of my favorite event, held in "the happiest place on earth," Winnemucca. If some of the scores seem a little low, it's because Sunday's wind conditions favored whoever entered a decent target early in the day. Usually, a good score or group will be entered, and then bettered by 0.10" or one point or X by somebody else, only to be trumped himself by another just smaller group or one point of score. Not this time, targets entered at the end of the tolerable wind held up for the rest of the day. As always, the socializing was the best part of the event, with fine dining running a close second. The gourmet feast began at the Rools Commity meeting at the Flying Pig Barbecue. It continued with Ernie and Linda's ham, cornbread, Beans (so good they must be capitalized) spread ON THE RANGE Saturday. Saturday night was the traditional gathering of the cavemen, barbecuing various choice meats in the B family's yard. Meanwhile KarenB presided over a kitchen that produced a rich variety of salads, side dishes, (a thoroughly inadequate phrase) and deserts. All the ladies participated in preparing these delights. I was especially taken with the Peruvian chicken recipe prepared by 7sand8s's wife Patty. Naturally, the wrap up dinner at Ormachea's was up to their very high standard, and this time Jaremey was able to enjoy the legendary Basque meat balls that he has been just to late to order for two previous years. While this year's company was somewhat diminished in numbers, there was no lack of enjoyment or enthusiasm. One event that did not occur was the after dinner party in "duke's room." After dinner we didn't have enough people left for this final event. I very much missed Buckshot's presence, and was very gratified by Deputy Al and Marie's sterling effort in coming from distant southern La-La land for Friday night and Saturday only. Here's hoping that the press of duties next year will allow all three of them to participate fully next year.

45nut
05-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Home safe and sound myself,arrived a lil bit ago and promptly got poured on as I was unloading my truck. Drenched is an apt description and I commenced cleaning and oiling guns. Ammo was also drenched,,again.
As usual I had a terrific time and words hardly describe it. I will get some pictures up soon and I hope sundog reads this,,please send me a pm with your mailing address so I can burn a CD and send it your way.
As has happended before I won the scoped rifle event with borrowed ammo and gun,this time courtesy of CobbMtnMac,he graciously allowed me use of a sporter springfield and after I had it set on my rest I fired off a few rounds,then waited for a cease fire. Most impressive,,first group was 5 @ 1.2",second was 6 @ 1"flat. I flat forgot how many rounds I had fired off so I just went ahead and slipped another inside the rest of the holes...quite simple with this gun....now mine. I purchased it sunday :)
The scoped pistol event was fired using a OTT Encore in 45-70,5 boolits grouped 1" outside to outside for a net .55 Most impressively this is also a borrowed barrel sent to me just for this event. Perry @ the Specialty Pistols board purchased a oct blank from me a couple of years ago and was I was pleased to give it a trial at NCBS 2006. It did quite well,topped with a Simmons 2-6 for this trip and fed some 405's over RL-7.

I have mucho plenty of stuff to catch up with right at the moment but will add some pics later.
Thanks again ever so much to BruceB and Karen and Kim for hosting,NVCurmudgeon for the winning plaques (again !),Urny and Linda for the fine chow provided at the range both days. And a special thanks to Powderburner and Brazos for the help in getting my 69cal flintlock pistol spitting fire and lead,,and nearly rolling me on my butt with a stout charge of BP and a PP boolit. More details on this later also.
Back later tonight.
45nut

Buckshot
05-22-2006, 09:12 PM
..................Good posts, and I can picture everyone and everyplace. I kid you not Bruce's wife Karen just flat knocks herself out making fixin's to complete the BBQ. And the sandwiches and stuff Urny and Linda provided last year were plenty good and just the ticket.

I sure did miss going, and that's a fact. I look forward to rat blasting in Cedarville as an appetizer to the main event in Winnemucca. Miss traveling with Deputy Al. Good company. Just driven' scratchin' and burpin'. And I guess since he had Marie, it just wasn't the same. :groner:

I guess the same thing happened this year as last. The range was open for bidness but everyone was too busy jawing and handling new additions since the previous meet to get right down to brass tacks.

I didn't see Ammohead's name amongst the long range participants? I figured this would have been a good time to close the gap a bit :takinWiz:

Said it before you guys, it's more like a family reunion then anything else. So what's the date for next year? :-)

................Buckshot

ammohead
05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
The 7th annual NCBS was a huge success for those who attended. My heartfelt thanks to BruceB, Karen and Kim for being such great hosts again this year. It is no small amount of work to make this event such a fun experience and we are all greatful for your effort. The sidedishes at Saturdays dinner were only outdone by the desert table.

Before and during the bbq cooking we took benches and made a semicircle around the front porch steps and just BS'd for about 3 hours. BruceB and family, TimB and Lori, DeputyAl and Marie, Brazos, bdoyle, NVCurmudgeon and Jaremy, 45Nut, Idabull and CobbMtMac and spouses, 7sand8s and family, Dean from Elko and myself. A finer set of miscreants has never been assembled. Stories were told, guns were passed around for admiring, and lots of cast boolit buddy bonding was done.

The shooting started off slow with stinking peestols only Saturday morning until the other shoot finished up. But most of us were standing around and gabbing anyway. Luckily the wind held off all day Saturday and we got lots of shooting in during the afternoon. Thanks to Urny and Linda for providing lunch both days. Spiral cut ham, chili beans, fresh baked corn bread and potato salad hit the spot. The group rifle shoot was held Saturday and was fun. Lots of lead flying for a few minutes. Clay pidgeons were tywrapped to a streched netting at about 75 yards. 30 to a section for 3 teams of 6 shooters each. We started with empty rifles and someone yelled GO and away we went until one section was devoid of clays. There were lots of gongs to shoot at both swinging and stationary with an effective range limit of about 150 yards.

Sunday started out good but the afternoon was breezy to put it mildly. At least no torrential downpours. Just the threat of clouds all day, which actually was a bit of a blessing after being in the sun all day Saturday. My hair must be thinning because I definately burned the top of my head. I need to get some of those custom ear plugs I see at gun shows so I can wear my cowboy hat for shade while I am shooting. There were some fine groups posted despite the wind, but offhand scoring did suffer towards the end of the day. I learned some years ago to get my offhand rifle shooting done early in the day to avoid the Nevada Zephyrs that kick up later, or my 46 2x would never had held up to the competition that was available.

I was glad to see 7sand8s brought his son and friend to the match. It was good to see kids at the event again. Missing were JTooker and GunloadsMaster. What happened guys? What ever came up, you should have seen though it and made it. It would have been worth the effort, guaranteed! Once you go, you won't want to miss it again, huh buckshot? Missed you buddy, see you next year.

ammohead

ammohead
05-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I didn't see Ammohead's name amongst the long range participants? ................Buckshot

By the time we got around to the long range shoot the wind had picked up quite a bit and we were discussing what kind of shoot to have. Unlike previous years quite a few people were interested in joining in, but I don't think that anyone wanted it to stretch out too long. I suggested that we pick the biggest gong and rotate through one shooter, one shot at a time, and if you miss you are out. Well guess who shot first, and guess who missed! Actually I think we had 9 or more shooters and only 3 made it through the first round. So I was in good company. But I did rue my choice of rules.

Next year, standing offhand 100 yards for score, and only the Xring counts, or at least that's what Dean tells me. Or maybe we can go to Costco and get some cheap frozen burritos and have a burrito shoot Nevada style. Scored for hits and judged on artistic splatter.

Kim picked up the slack for you this year. She didn't wear a hawiian shirt but she did have a funny straw hat.

ammohead

Urny
05-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Late report, as usual. We got home Sunday evening after a great weekend in Winnemucca, as was mentioned the fellowship was the high point of the two days we were there, with the food and shooting and buying following that up. I would like to thank Powderburner Dean for the use of his motor home, without which the cornbread and beans would have been baked in Elko and eaten cold in Winnemucca. I liked it better the way we had it. We start practising for next year Friday next, and look forward to seeing everyone and more next year, at NCBS '07. Thanks Bruce and Karen for another great event.

9.3X62AL
05-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Another fine time with fine people and fine food. Marie has been motivated by her participation in the team shoot to get a good-fitting scoped rifle to shoot cast boolits through, with a mind toward next year's event (and other venues). She and I both had a blast, and were very sorry to leave Winnemucca early--or, maybe, at all. We sure do like that town. We came home a couple molds richer and one shooting table fatter, too.

Just a great time, and thanks to all who made it possible--esp. the Bannisters!

NVcurmudgeon
05-24-2006, 07:21 PM
I heartily endorse ammohead's appreciation of the B family as hosts. Ammohead knows whereof he speaks, because the ammoheads were the hosts of the first ever NCBS, which was then called the Millenium Cast Bullet Shoot. For those who are newcomers to the board, that first shoot was held at Topaz Lake, NV. All of the subsequent get togethers date from the Topaz shoot, which drew six board members, plus wives, kids, and friends. The whole thing was from an idea of ammohead's. This year's shoot featured winds almost equal to the legendary winds of Topaz Lake 2000, which applied a ninety degree trajectory correction to Buckshot's golf ball cannon. The order of importance at NCBS seems to be (1) socializing, (2) food, and (3) low level competition. Jaremy and I thank the B family, ammohead, Mac the photographer, Ernie and Linda, the cowboy contingent, (Tim and Lori, Brazos, & Dean) and all those who have contributed to making NCBS what it is today, my favorite party. If I left anyone out, it's because of how successfully this event has grown. It's not too early to begin planning for the eighth annual NCBS, 2007.

cobbmtmac
05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
LET ME AD OUR APPRECIATION TO ALL, IT WAS A WONDERFUL TIME!!!

A special thanks to our HOSTS, Bruce, Karren and Kim for all their hard work and GREAT GREAT food. More special thanks to Urny and Linda, The lunches were fantastic and Linda that was gooood Cornbread.

We certainly felt the familey reunion atmosphere. Buckshot, you were missed. Deputy Al, glad you could be there even if your time had to be short. It was especially nice to meet Marie. I know if I keep naming names I will miss someone but not on purpose. NVcurmudgeon, my mentor and Jaremy, ammohead, Tim B & Lori, 45nut, Powderburner, Brazos, onceabull, Joy and Mom and I know there were more. You all made it happen. I don't even remember the foul weather or what my excuses were.

So thanks again to all of you. MM&M (Mac, Marlene & Mom)

cobbmtmac
05-26-2006, 01:08 PM
I knew it, I knew it, 7's & 8's Patty and son, all of the above to you.

MM&M

cobbmtmac
05-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Once more--

Congratulations to all the winners. Pictures will be forthcoming, probably not as soon as 45nut's but I'll try not to take to long. I will also send them to "Sundog".

MM&M

NVcurmudgeon
05-28-2006, 09:38 AM
One very enjoyable feature of NCBS is all the test driving and borrowing of guns and ammunition that goes on. I was fortunate to shoot 7sand8s' 8mm military Mauser with, IIRC, Saeco cast boolits. This Mauser featured an excellent trigger, issue sights that were dialed in perfectly for me, and a pleasant shooting, extremely accurate, load. He even sent me home with a sample package of his boolits! Next test shooting was with BruceBs beautiful Ruger No. 1 in .416 Rigby. It was a real pleasure to shoot at a gong with what appeared to be a .45/70 level load and have Bruce spotting for me "hit, hit, hit......." I also had the opportunity to run a magazine through Deputy Al's 10 mmm S&W pistol. Deputy Al, in a near-British understatement, suggested a two hand grip. He was right! Finally, I was able to shoot a group off the bench with Cobb Mtn. Mac's, er Marlene's, brand new Marlin 1894 half magazine .32/20. This rifle was right out of the box new, and even a little stiff, but made a five shot group at 50 yd. of not much bigger than one inch. Very good for a brand new rifle with the first experimental load! I had the opportunity to pay back, also. Two shooters borrowed my pet of all pets Springfield, luckily NOT quite out shooting me with it. Also, ammohead showed up with his "new" Krag, but didn't have time to load any ammunition. I was glad to loan him some of mine in gratitude that he saw my "new" Krag first and didn't buy it. It's an amazing thing to hear, "take my rifle and ammunition, please" all up and down the firing line.

Gunload Master
05-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Sorry everyone for not being able to show up. Started a new job after 9 years and it's rather stressful. I couldnt have gotten to bed until around 11:00 P.M friday night, have to leave around 3 or 4 A.M. sat morning to make it in reasonable time.. Also my finances arnt the best for a 300 dollar trip right now.. Enough excuses though, sorry I couldnt make it. I got lots of rounds for my .300 all done up too!

9.3X62AL
06-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't mean to imply that I've been busy since getting home from NCBS......but just last night I was able to drag the fired cases and leftover ammo out from the truck. I kid you not--the Ford has largely sat parked since rolling into the driveway that Sunday night, when I dragged out and stored the guns and left the rest for later. Well, "later" came last night while watching the Angel game in the garage.

I also fired the pot up, and cast some of those Rapine #460510's from Onceabull's leased mold--AKA, "The Loverin From Hell". 507 grains in Taracorp alloy, 1.240" long, 8 drive bands/7 grooves spanning .885" of boolit length, band diameter .462" from top to bottom. The nose is NOT a truncated come, but a secant ogive form that does not blend into the first drive band--it is rebated somewhat, measuring .448" at its juncture with the first band. Meplat is .320"......THA-WHOCK!

I'm thinking a seating depth of .775"-.800" will be required to get the nose and one of those skinny drive bands into the short throat of the Ruger. I'll have to get out the Sinclair tool to confirm that. The good news is that such a depth might enable use in Marlin 95's and Win 86's, although "how much powder space" remains a question, as does the case inside taper meshing with the boolit shank.

carpetman
06-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Would someone put names to the folks in the pictures? Thanks.

45nut
06-01-2006, 09:00 PM
I will try and get them labeled...wasn't even sure they were being viewed until now.

ammohead
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I haven't seen any. Where are they? The video of 45nut with the flintlock pistol turned out good. How are you going to post it?

ammohead

Gunload Master
06-01-2006, 11:04 PM
This was kinda quick but have a look see:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ncbs/2006

Buckshot
06-09-2006, 03:58 AM
This was kinda quick but have a look see:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ncbs/2006

...............Hey, that's pretty cool. Oughta post it on Cast Boolits!

............Buckshot