PDA

View Full Version : looking for .321 round nose for old Remington 14 .32 Rem

Adam Lee
10-13-2019, 06:21 AM
Well, good morning folks. I'm a newbie and have a grand total of 5 posts at this point, wow. LOL

So here's something I as a newbie to reloading as well as cast boolits have a problem with: a lack of .321 sized round-nose boolits to load for my old Remington 14 pump rifle. Occasionally Buffalo Arms sells a short run of their "new" brass .32 with RN profile soft points, but I seem to miss the boat on that every year.

They usually keep the 170 grain flat points in stock longer - of course, that's since Remington 8's and 81's can shoot both .32 bullet profiles with no troubles. Unlike my Model 14 pump.

Would any one of you fine folks wish to help me learn where or how to locate some correct round-nose cast or jacketed pills for my reloading projects? I appreciate any ideas guys. Thank you so much!

Adam

Adam Lee
10-13-2019, 06:24 AM
By the way, I forgot to label the photos I added. The plastic bucket of ammo is a portion of some of the vintage .32 Rem RN I bought a few years back on GB. I hope to be able to anneal a bunch of the cases I disassembled a while ago, so I can reload them with fresh primers/powder and boolits.

Green Frog
10-13-2019, 07:29 AM
Adam Lee, perhaps you could make some “Mexican Match” reloads while you are looking for a mould... we used to break down military ammo of dubious history or provenance, saving the brass and bullets.. With fresh primer and powder of known quality we then had a sort of “semi-match” round we knew would be safe and reliable. :grin:

As for the mould you are looking for, have you searched auction sites (especially e-Bay) thoroughly? I see that style of mould listed periodically as I look for 319XXX moulds for 32-40s. :coffeecom

Froggie

leadhead
10-13-2019, 09:41 AM
I killed my first buck with .32 Remington 14. I think they were 170 gr jacketed soft points.
Great rifles.....wish I still had it.
Denny

Markopolo
10-13-2019, 09:51 AM
seems like the same boolit I use in my 32 win special should work fine.. drops 323 at 160ish grains. what you really need is the correct sizer. how do you know the gun wants .321 boolits?? i think a flat point would be way better unless you have feeding issues.

also, do you have the means to size boolits and lube them? gas checks?

RU shooter
10-13-2019, 10:36 AM
The Speer 170 fn should work it's designed for the 32 spl and it is .321 . There's also the Lee 175 that can be sized down it's RN design

gwpercle
10-13-2019, 12:07 PM
NOE has at least 12 mould designs , maybe a few more , for 32 cal. rifles , RN and FP .
A 2 cavity mould is $79.00 , 3 cavity cost $86.00 and 4 cavity run $92.00 ...you can usually find a 10% off Sale for any holiday. Sweet moulds and they sell their own sizer for whatever size you want/need . Made in the USA and Al "Swede" Nelson is good people .
Buy a mould and sizer and never worry about your boolit supply again .
Check them out www.noebulletmolds.com
Gary

Rich/WIS
10-13-2019, 12:15 PM
Hornady also makes a .321 dia RNFP for 32 WS, Mid South shows them in stock.

Harter66
10-13-2019, 10:21 PM
I've used the 323-175 Lee in the one I load .
They shot well with the mould dropping at .325 and sized .323 . The barrel is .321×.316 as I recall . I used 32 WS data and I 4350 , the start load for the 170 gr Speer RNSP delivered just over the max load MV . I'm thinking 2160 fps but it's been a while .
I did a plain base on that mould so that was also unchecked .

Hick
10-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Look at places like gunbroker for Ideal 321427. Its an old mold but a good one for 32-20, 32 Rem, 32 Win special, etc. When someone here first told me about it I went to gunbroker and found one right away-- and it didn't cost much ($40 including the mold handles, as I recall). Its a sweet little round nose, gas checked bullet.

Adam Lee
10-14-2019, 06:02 AM
Adam Lee, perhaps you could make some “Mexican Match” reloads while you are looking for a mould... we used to break down military ammo of dubious history or provenance, saving the brass and bullets.. With fresh primer and powder of known quality we then had a sort of “semi-match” round we knew would be safe and reliable. :grin:

As for the mould you are looking for, have you searched auction sites (especially e-Bay) thoroughly? I see that style of mould listed periodically as I look for 319XXX moulds for 32-40s. :coffeecom

Froggie

thanks for the thoughts, Froggie. "Mexican match" bullet remanufacturing is exactly what I'm doing now - wow! It has a name!

Adam

Adam Lee
10-14-2019, 06:06 AM
seems like the same boolit I use in my 32 win special should work fine.. drops 323 at 160ish grains. what you really need is the correct sizer. how do you know the gun wants .321 boolits?? i think a flat point would be way better unless you have feeding issues.

also, do you have the means to size boolits and lube them? gas checks?

I appreciate your comments, Markopolo. You know you are correct - I have not slugged the bore, as I'm just getting into the DIY lead boolits thing and up to now am using pulled original jacketed RN pills. Also, the Model 14 pumps have an odd spiral-feeding tube design that is super-finicky with bullet profile. On most of these rifles, you get feed jams using anything other than pure round nose bullets. I have tried over and over with RNFP but they jam up and can't feed in my gun.

Adam

Adam Lee
10-14-2019, 06:07 AM
NOE has at least 12 mould designs , maybe a few more , for 32 cal. rifles , RN and FP .
A 2 cavity mould is $79.00 , 3 cavity cost $86.00 and 4 cavity run $92.00 ...you can usually find a 10% off Sale for any holiday. Sweet moulds and they sell their own sizer for whatever size you want/need . Made in the USA and Al "Swede" Nelson is good people .
Buy a mould and sizer and never worry about your boolit supply again .
Check them out www.noebulletmolds.com
Gary

Thanks Gary - I am now looking into NOE's offerings.
Adam

Adam Lee
10-14-2019, 06:09 AM
They shot well with the mould dropping at .325 and sized .323 . The barrel is .321×.316 as I recall . I used 32 WS data and I 4350 , the start load for the 170 gr Speer RNSP delivered just over the max load MV . I'm thinking 2160 fps but it's been a while .

Thanks Rich! You are June '39 vintage? Dad is June '41 model year, FWIW. Guess I'm just a 55 year old baby!

Adam

Adam Lee
10-14-2019, 06:10 AM
Look at places like gunbroker for Ideal 321427. Its an old mold but a good one for 32-20, 32 Rem, 32 Win special, etc. When someone here first told me about it I went to gunbroker and found one right away-- and it didn't cost much ($40 including the mold handles, as I recall). Its a sweet little round nose, gas checked bullet.

Thanks for the info, Hick! Appreciated!

Adam

Gewehr-Guy
10-14-2019, 07:01 AM
Adam, I found that seating depth and cartridge overall length had to watched to prevent jams with my .30Rem model 14. When I loaded a certain cast flat nose bullet, I had to seat it a bit deeper than the crimp groove, or it would hang up trying to raise up out of the magazine tube. Maybe you could try seating the .321 jacketed a bit deeper than the crimp cannelure, and see if they feed better. I think I have the Ideal RN mold, and could cast you some bullets, but would be later this winter, as we are waiting to start harvest, if it ever stops raining and snowing on us.

Adam Lee
10-15-2019, 06:05 AM
Adam, I found that seating depth and cartridge overall length had to watched to prevent jams with my .30Rem model 14. When I loaded a certain cast flat nose bullet, I had to seat it a bit deeper than the crimp groove, or it would hang up trying to raise up out of the magazine tube. Maybe you could try seating the .321 jacketed a bit deeper than the crimp cannelure, and see if they feed better. I think I have the Ideal RN mold, and could cast you some bullets, but would be later this winter, as we are waiting to start harvest, if it ever stops raining and snowing on us.

Gewehr-Guy,

I think your point about seating the bullet deeper has some good merit. Also wondered what your luck is with non-RN bullets in general with the Model 14 spiral tube mag for feeding, has the trouble jam-ups completely disappeared simply with the deeper seating?

thank you!

Adam

Gewehr-Guy
10-15-2019, 07:57 AM
Adam, while I have a M-14 in .32R, I have not shot it yet, but the .30 cal Lee FN bullet feeds OK in my .30 Rem 14 and 08. My only issues seem to be with an out of spec rim on my cases, as I make them out of 30-30 Win brass, and sometimes I cut one a little thick and it doesn't want to slide up the breech block properly, so when I have any troublesome case it gets discarded.

The Hornady .321 170gr FN bullets have a rather wide flat nose {.175} , so they might give more problems than a true RN while chambering, but you will just have to try them in your rifle. If you would like I could send you a few, and some Lee .323 RN cast bullets, and you make up some dummy rounds and see how they feed, and try different seating depths ect.

Adam Lee
10-16-2019, 05:27 AM
Adam, while I have a M-14 in .32R, I have not shot it yet, but the .30 cal Lee FN bullet feeds OK in my .30 Rem 14 and 08. My only issues seem to be with an out of spec rim on my cases, as I make them out of 30-30 Win brass, and sometimes I cut one a little thick and it doesn't want to slide up the breech block properly, so when I have any troublesome case it gets discarded.

The Hornady .321 170gr FN bullets have a rather wide flat nose {.175} , so they might give more problems than a true RN while chambering, but you will just have to try them in your rifle. If you would like I could send you a few, and some Lee .323 RN cast bullets, and you make up some dummy rounds and see how they feed, and try different seating depths ect.

Gewehr-Guy,
I've tried .32 handloads with the very same Hornady 170 grain FN .321 bullets in this particular M-14. Never does feed properly, that spiral tube just doesn't do any good for feeding - every time they get jammed up. I don't see how seating depth will make that much of a positive difference, but I since I still have a few of these Hornady FN rounds unfired, I could pull the bullets and reload them deeper to see what happens.

Now, on the other hand, that is a very kind offer on your part with the Lee .323 RN cast bullets. If these are truly RN profile, I'd appreciate 3 or 4 to build up and experiment with. If you're game, I can PM you my mailing contact info.

thanks for your time!
Adam

Adam Lee
10-16-2019, 05:31 AM
Also was curious as to your method of cutting the .30-30 brass when you form to .30 Rem or .32 Rem. Are you spinning the cases on a lathe, and milling the rims off that way? After the rims are milled off, what sort of tool do you put to the brass in order to cut the extractor groove?

Wish I had more than 750 sq ft of a condo so I could have a shop area!

thanks for your time.
Adam

AntiqueSledMan
10-16-2019, 06:06 AM
Hello Adam,

For making brass from 30-30 or 32 Special you would have to trim rim to .422" and cut the extractor groove.
Yes, this would have to be done on a lathe. Why bother, Graf & Son's have .32 Remington Brass in stock.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/71103
As far as bullets, cheapest method would be a LEE C324-175-1R and size it to .321".
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010213717?pid=710529

AntiqueSledMan.

Adam Lee
10-17-2019, 05:40 AM

Thanks, Rich -

hey, I'm dumb - are the barrel specs you have listed on your .32 Rem rifle in the format: grooves .321/lands .316?

take care
Adam

Adam Lee
10-17-2019, 05:45 AM
Hello Adam,

For making brass from 30-30 or 32 Special you would have to trim rim to .422" and cut the extractor groove.
Yes, this would have to be done on a lathe. Why bother, Graf & Son's have .32 Remington Brass in stock.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/71103
As far as bullets, cheapest method would be a LEE C324-175-1R and size it to .321".
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010213717?pid=710529

AntiqueSledMan.

Thanks for the tips, I will check out those links.

You guys are all giving me great help in finding what I need to shoot with for my old Model 14!

Adam

Gewehr-Guy
10-20-2019, 07:16 AM
Adam,sorry for the late reply, was not able to log on for a few days.To make the brass,I used a lathe to turn off the rim, then ground a bit with the extractor groove profile,and cut it to the proper depth. That was before brass was easily avaliable. Now I would just buy some from Grafs as AntiqueSledMan said.

If you would like a few bullets send me a PM, as I found some Lee RN, and a few .323 Lyman 8mm RN #323470 that might work.

MostlyLeverGuns
10-20-2019, 08:36 AM
The Lee 8mm might work for you. The Speer 170 has a much narrower profile than the Hornady, so it might work. I have run various 8mm jacketed (.323) without issue through several Marlin 336's in .32 Special. I usually run .323 cast bullets through my .32 Specials and they are are .321 but the throat and chamber take the .323 with better accuracy, both Microgroove and standard(Ballard?) rifling. I would start with the Lee C324-175-1R, inexpensive and available. There is also Hawk bullets, a little pricey, but they have or will make what you want. If the .323 chamber, that is what I would use.

KCSO
10-20-2019, 04:25 PM
I just size down the Lee rn for the Mauser, no problems.

rking22
10-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Adam, I do not have a 32 but my 30 Remington feeds 31141 and the 165 ranch dog perfectly, as long as they are less than the max COL spec for the 30 Rem. I am aware the acknowledged expert on these guns says only roundnose, just saying I have not experienced any issues with flat nose cast. Now, squeak just a fuzz above max COL and the jam is epic. Can you detail what your feeding issue is with the FP you have tried? Reason for asking is I am puzzled how the spiral mag affects feeding? Have Roy tried only one in the tube? In the 30/32 caliber I much prefer a FP for hunting, but never tried the roundnose, so there is that. I do love these guns, you need a 35 Remington too :)

Traffer
10-21-2019, 07:46 PM
I have a botched .310" swaging die. I could ream it out for a 32 Cal. I would need exact dimensions though (diameter and weight + hardness of lead desired.)
This is no guarantee that I will get it right. But if I do I would be glad to send you some.

Adam Lee
10-29-2019, 05:59 AM
Adam,sorry for the late reply, was not able to log on for a few days.To make the brass,I used a lathe to turn off the rim, then ground a bit with the extractor groove profile,and cut it to the proper depth. That was before brass was easily avaliable. Now I would just buy some from Grafs as AntiqueSledMan said.

If you would like a few bullets send me a PM, as I found some Lee RN, and a few .323 Lyman 8mm RN #323470 that might work.

Guess what? I came home from work yesterday to find your package of boolits waiting for me on my doorstep! Thanks a million. I will get to working those rounds up soon, and get back with a report. This is a perfect example why Cast Boolits is a great place for the reloading hobbyist - folks who share not only knowledge, but the boolits! LOL

Very appreciated

Adam

Adam Lee
10-29-2019, 06:00 AM
The Lee 8mm might work for you. The Speer 170 has a much narrower profile than the Hornady, so it might work. I have run various 8mm jacketed (.323) without issue through several Marlin 336's in .32 Special. I usually run .323 cast bullets through my .32 Specials and they are are .321 but the throat and chamber take the .323 with better accuracy, both Microgroove and standard(Ballard?) rifling. I would start with the Lee C324-175-1R, inexpensive and available. There is also Hawk bullets, a little pricey, but they have or will make what you want. If the .323 chamber, that is what I would use.

Thank you for your ideas - I appreciate them!

Adam

earlmck
10-29-2019, 11:35 AM
I have several of those 14's and while the spiral magazine tube keeps me from loading spitzers I have never had trouble with flat noses. In fact, that's all my rifles ever see -- boolits from an ancient Ohaus copy of the Lyman 31141 mold for the 30's, Lyman's 258312 for the 25's and Lee's copy of the RCBS 210 grain flat nose for the 35's. To my sorrow I still don't have a 32.

If you hold your mouth just right you can get the 35 ca. 180 grain Hornady spitzers loaded and that makes a dandy shooter when you need something with flatter trajectory.

Adam Lee
10-30-2019, 06:01 AM
Adam, I do not have a 32 but my 30 Remington feeds 31141 and the 165 ranch dog perfectly, as long as they are less than the max COL spec for the 30 Rem. I am aware the acknowledged expert on these guns says only roundnose, just saying I have not experienced any issues with flat nose cast. Now, squeak just a fuzz above max COL and the jam is epic. Can you detail what your feeding issue is with the FP you have tried? Reason for asking is I am puzzled how the spiral mag affects feeding? Have Roy tried only one in the tube? In the 30/32 caliber I much prefer a FP for hunting, but never tried the roundnose, so there is that. I do love these guns, you need a 35 Remington too :)

Thanks for offering your ideas, rking - you know I'm only going by one particular FN bullet that jams every time, and that's one that I did not load myself. I did not even consider seating depth and that is telling me I should go measure the rounds I have left, to see where the OAL is compared to my RN bullets that do work.

Might be just a seating depth issue, thanks for clueing me in.

Be well

Adam