PDA

View Full Version : bench mounted priming tool

curiousgeorge
10-12-2019, 04:41 PM
I've seen this discussed before, but as I've gotten older I also feel the pain in my hand when using a squeeze type hand priming tool. I do have a Lyman ram prime die but have been thinking about a bench mounted priming tool.

All that to get to my question. Any recommendations for the rcbs or lee? Who else makes them and what are your thoughts on them?

Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks

jaguarxk120
10-12-2019, 04:49 PM
I use the RCBS APS bench mounted priming system. Just feed the strips
into the unit and keep priming. The only time I have to deal with loose primers is when I'm
loading the strips, and that goes fast.
I always liked bench mounted or press mounted priming, the hand tools
you can spill primers all over if you make a mistake.

Winger Ed.
10-12-2019, 04:57 PM
I had a RCBS that had the old style tube back before I thought I was done with reloading.

I really liked it, and it was sort of hypnotic to see the tube rocking back and forth as it worked.

JimB..
10-12-2019, 05:23 PM
RCBS
And if you have any doubts,
RCBS
I don’t use the strips, pretty used to loading tubes.

jaguarxk120
10-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Actually I have both, just haven't had the time to mount the older primer system yet.
Found it at a estate sale some missing parts but RCBS helped out.

OS OK
10-12-2019, 06:18 PM
That's the ole 'Mediocre-Good-Better-Best' comparison.
Red is on the left and Green is on the right.

KenT7021
10-12-2019, 06:18 PM
The RCBS bench priming tool is probably the best available.Never used the Lee.

Geezer in NH
10-12-2019, 06:50 PM
RCBS
And if you have any doubts,
RCBS
I don’t use the strips, pretty used to loading tubes.

Same for me

Gus Youmans
10-12-2019, 06:54 PM
curiousgeorge,

The RCBS bench priming system (tube version) is a great tool. I have used various hand priming tools and press mounted priming systems but nothing works as well as the RCBS bench mounted tool. Once you get into a rhythm you can prime cases as fast as you can put then into and take them out of the shell holder. You would think that having such a long lever would make it difficult to feel the primers being properly seated but it is actually the most sensitive priming tool I have used. When I was shooting competitive high power rifle it was all I used to prime .223 and .308 cases, usually 400-500 at a time. Another benefit is that it uses standard shell holders. RCBS has had a number of different primer tubes designs over the last 40 years and some of the tubes worked better than others. I found that the Dillon primer tubes will work with the RCBS bench mounted tool and are easier to load than most iterations of the RCBS designs.

The primer cup is screwed onto a rod/ram that fits through the hole in the shell holder and, if not kept tight, can cause primer misfeeds. I just got into the habit of checking it before each session and never had any problems. Blue Loctite would have fixed that but I was not smart enough to think of it until just now.

I have not used the Lee bench mounted tool and cannot comment.

Gus Youmans

onelight
10-12-2019, 08:42 PM
I find the Lee primer trays quick and easy to fill the tubes are kinda slow to fill I have not used Lee's bench mount and probably never will my 30 year old rcbs bench primer will out last me ,
I do most priming on my presses I shoot mainly handguns these days.
If I bought now I would probably try the Lee but the RCBS is a great tool.

JBinMN
10-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Back when I first started reloading I used a RCBS Ram Prime die that screwed into my RCBS Single Stage RS-3 like a regular reloading die. It came with both large & small primer shaft & cups, and it worked very well for me until I got some turret presses that had either the tube style or the arm style primer seating methods. I even have a couple of hand type ones, but I know that I will always be able to go back to using the RCBS Ram Prime if I ever run into the issues you are dealing with now.

Here is what I am talking about if you are not familiar with them:
https://www.rcbs.com/priming/bench-mounted/16-9165.html
https://www.rcbs.com/dw/image/v2/BDBJ_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-rcbs-master-catalog/default/dw6d865b4c/images/large/rc_09165-ramprimingunit.jpg?sw=800&sh=800&sm=fit

They are listed at about $31.00 at RCBS but a little less expensive at Grafs, Midway & other folks that sell such things around $25-28.00 if you are interested in one.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to do!
:)

Conditor22
10-12-2019, 09:12 PM
I have both the RCBS and the Lee bench to primmer.
RCBS is a nice solid machine BUT you have to depress the handle once to load the primer then again to prime. Yes, the primer tube flops like something alive if you get in a hurry, I built a padded tower to stop that but it's twice the work.
I bought the lee since I already have a loadmaster and a bunch of priming trays. You need to make sure the handle returns to feed the next primer but it's much faster and easier to use. With the Lee you need to get their proprietory 1/2 shell holders to go with it.

375supermag
10-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Hi...
I have used the RCBS APS bench mounted priming tool for years.
Tens if thousands of rounds primed.
It finally started acting up this last week after all these years. I took it apart three times and couldn't find the problem.
On my fourth attempt I noticed that the primer actuating arm retaining screw had gotten loose.
Tightened it up and it is back to it's boring dependable self.
Note to self...every 10-20 years, I guess I should check that retaining screw is tight.

country gent
10-12-2019, 11:04 PM
I have an rcbs bench tool and like it a lot its quick and simple. I also made a bench tool with rack and pinon gear drive. It has a great feel but no primer feed. Both do a great job and run problem free. They have great feel and plenty of power. The rcbs is one of the simplest mechanic there is. a simple lever, pivot and punch.

Winger Ed.
10-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Hi...Note to self...every 10-20 years, I guess I should check that retaining screw is tight.

That explains it!
Mine did that after about 3 years.
But I never thought that it being several years old, and very well used before I got it could have been a contributing factor.

cat-mechanic
10-13-2019, 12:18 AM
I picked up a Forster Co Ax bench primer. Just ordered the extra parts to get it running. It is the old Bonanza brown, Before Forster bough out Bonanza. Looks pretty straight forward. Load the primers, put it in the priming tool. Then place case and push down on lever.

Just another option for you to look at.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product-category/case-priming/primer-seating/co-ax-primer-seater/

engineer401
10-13-2019, 12:31 AM
I have the RCBS bench prime with the tubes. It works very well. It’s easy on the hands and it’s reliable. I never had a problem. It works flawlessly.

winelover
10-13-2019, 07:07 AM
RCBS, hands down...............your not going to beat their warranty or customer service. I have the one that uses tubes.

Winelover

Pressman
10-13-2019, 07:43 AM
I picked up a Forster Co Ax bench primer. Just ordered the extra parts to get it running. It is the old Bonanza brown, Before Forster bough out Bonanza. Looks pretty straight forward. Load the primers, put it in the priming tool. Then place case and push down on lever.

Just another option for you to look at.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product-category/case-priming/primer-seating/co-ax-primer-seater/

Forster has a distressing habit of turning primers sideways if you try for any speed. Slow and steady they are OK. The RCBS is hands down the best for reliability, speed, easy operation.

For small, deliberate jobs I prefer the old Lachmiller. It's not fast, just one primer hand fed at a time which is OK with me for some rifle calibers.

Green Frog
10-13-2019, 07:48 AM
If you want to look around, both SAECO & the late, lamented Herter’s made bench priming tools of cast iron, so heavy they didn’t even need to be bolted down. My Herter’s unit is designed for some type of primer feed, but that portion is missing so I single feed primers manually... no fuss and no flopping tubes or trays. Just another possibility for you to consider. :coffeecom

For the record, I have a RCBS unit that uses the primer strips... it was a gift and it’s never been out of the box since I got it. To be fair, the Herter’s unit doesn’t see a lot of use either, though. I prefer various single feed hand tools like the old Lee and Lyman units and my special fave, the Simmons copy of the “Pope style” tool. :cool:

Froggie

Dan Cash
10-13-2019, 07:59 AM
Bonanza Co-Ax hands down. If you do not set the case jaws up properly, you will have sideways primers but a little attention to detail enables trouble free priming. If any one has the Co-Ax device and does not want it/like it, I would take one more off your hands.

Pressman
10-13-2019, 02:04 PM
Mr. Frog Person Sir: Herter's never made a primer tool.
Are you perhaps thinking of the Lachmiller?

Zingger
10-13-2019, 02:19 PM
I can pipe up for the RCBS. First rate service if you ever break a primer tube......[smilie=1:
The sensitivity is something else, you can feel the primer "bottom out" on each round. The only thing I haven't liked on mine is that the least bit of dirtiness of your shellholder tends to delay the primer assembly movement down. Keep 'er clean and runs awesome. It will take your reloading hobby to another level of precision.

Shawlerbrook
10-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Another vote for the RCBS bench tool with tubes. Works like a charm and has a rhythm to it.

Green Frog
10-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Mr. Frog Person Sir: Herter's never made a primer tool.
Are you perhaps thinking of the Lachmiller?

Somewhere down in the bowels of my basement is a loading tool that uses Herter’s Shell Holders... would that be a Lachmiller unit? I thought it had a Herter’s name tag affixed to it, but you know how notoriously poor amphibian memory is. :roll:

Froggie

Eddie Southgate
10-13-2019, 06:30 PM
I have an old Lachmiller . Works for me when not priming on the press or using the 310 tool . Lachmiller may have been a source of tools for Herters .

Rebel Dave
10-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Ram Primes for me. I have the RCBS, and the lee. Not real fast, but you get a real good feel using them. You know when the primers are seated.
Dave

curiousgeorge
10-14-2019, 06:22 AM
Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments. I was leaning towards the rcbs unit but it never hurts to ask the people who are actually using the tools.
Thanks again. Steve

44magLeo
10-14-2019, 07:10 PM
The only bench priming tool I have used Is the Lee. I like it. Not hard to use. Just have to let the arm spring back up on it's own. This gives just enough vibration to feed the next primer.
The feel is very good.
I like the fact you just dump primers out of the box into the tray, Put tray in toll and prime away.
I started reloading in about 1978 with an RCBS Rocker Press and primed on the press. It didn't take long to switch to a Lee hand prime tool. Filling those tubes was slow and not hard to spill primers. One oops with the rube and primers go all over.
Used the Lee tool for many years and found it was starting to bother my hands. Switched to Lee's Ergo Prime. Much better. Still was tiring.
I started to read about the Lee bench prime and some of the issues people were having. I waited a few years before I bought one. Found that most of the issues people had were operator error.
It did take a few tries to get things figured out. Now I can prime all day with no hand issues.
If you live near other reloaders perhaps you can find people that have both the RCBS and Lee units you can try. Actual use tells you more than a few opinions.
Leo

Three44s
10-14-2019, 08:16 PM
My bench unit is what RCBS called their Standard model. It is made like the Lachmyer with a cam that pushes the priming rod to seat the primer. It uses standard shell holders and has no provision for feeding primers. It has been out of production for many years.

I use the RCBS hand tool that has a priming tray and also uses regular shell holders for my main priming chores.

The cases that have what I deem to be a high primer get a treatment on the Lachmyer style tool.

I have a Forester coax priming seater. I don’t like it much!

I have a Lee Ram Prime and it works fine but it does tie up a press.

Three44s

15meter
10-14-2019, 09:27 PM
I've use the primer arms on single/turret presses, loading a single primer in each time. I've used the Lee ram prime, both the Lee handheld and the RCBS handheld with the primer tray.

I ended up with an RCBS bench prime unit with a bunch of dead guy stuff, was going to sell it, but I set it up just to try it out and see how it works. Glad I did.

For me it is the most consistent priming tool I've used. Sold all the other ones.

I use, Dillon primer tubes and follower instead of the RCBS tubes. They seem to work better, I had to drill a second hole further up the tube for the hairpin clip to hold the primers in until I was ready to load.

The follower makes it feed the last two or three primers much more consistently. I was having the occasional primer being spit out when the tube was almost empty.

salpal48
10-14-2019, 09:43 PM
RCbS currently is one of the best on the market . that was not always the case. I have and still use on a Regular basis . " The Gun Clinic. . big , Bulky and flawless.

fast ronnie
10-14-2019, 09:44 PM
I've use the primer arms on single/turret presses, loading a single primer in each time. I've used the Lee ram prime, both the Lee handheld and the RCBS handheld with the primer tray.

I ended up with an RCBS bench prime unit with a bunch of dead guy stuff, was going to sell it, but I set it up just to try it out and see how it works. Glad I did.

For me it is the most consistent priming tool I've used. Sold all the other ones.

I use, Dillon primer tubes and follower instead of the RCBS tubes. They seem to work better, I had to drill a second hole further up the tube for the hairpin clip to hold the primers in until I was ready to load.

The follower makes it feed the last two or three primers much more consistently. I was having the occasional primer being spit out when the tube was almost empty.

I really like my rcbs bench primer, but have had the same thing happen when down to the last primer or two. Next time, I think I will reach over to the dillon for the follower and give it a try. Thanks for a great idea.
Ron

Winger Ed.
10-14-2019, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=fast ronnie;4745155] Next time, I think I will reach over to the dillon for the follower and give it a try.

Hornady got with the program and sends a thin plastic rod as a follower for the tube on their AP--
same tube for their other primer tools and fit RCBS too.

Before that, I made my own.
One was a piece of Plumber's/Hardware store Silver Solder I'd scrounged.
Another was a solid piece of #12 home wiring Copper Wire I laboriously straightened out.
A piece 1/8th inch Brass brazing rod should work too, but being heavy, I wouldn't put it down the tube until it started getting low.

15meter
10-15-2019, 10:13 AM
RCbS currently is one of the best on the market . that was not always the case. I have and still use on a Regular basis . " The Gun Clinic. . big , Bulky and flawless.

I've got one of the gun clinic ones, picked it up used with out primer tubes, started to make tubes for it and got the RCBS, that back burnered the Gun Clinic unit. I forgot I had it until this thread and photo popped up. In the 'tween season, the crappy weather between shooting/motorcycle riding and iceboating weather, I'll have to get it out and see if I can get it working. It's a very cool piece of hardware.

Ed in North Texas
10-16-2019, 10:22 PM
Bonanza Co-Ax hands down. If you do not set the case jaws up properly, you will have sideways primers but a little attention to detail enables trouble free priming. If any one has the Co-Ax device and does not want it/like it, I would take one more off your hands.

That has been my experience, though I have to say that the Forster jaw adjustment design change makes the setup easier for me (I have both a brown and red).

Cut the edge of an RCBS square primer flipper so I can load the tubes easier.

luv45acp
10-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Wow dude. All that and if you would have read his post he said he has a “Lyman Ram Prime Die” He’s asking about bench top priming systems. smh

Back when I first started reloading I used a RCBS Ram Prime die that screwed into my RCBS Single Stage RS-3 like a regular reloading die. It came with both large & small primer shaft & cups, and it worked very well for me until I got some turret presses that had either the tube style or the arm style primer seating methods. I even have a couple of hand type ones, but I know that I will always be able to go back to using the RCBS Ram Prime if I ever run into the issues you are dealing with now.

Here is what I am talking about if you are not familiar with them:
https://www.rcbs.com/priming/bench-mounted/16-9165.html
https://www.rcbs.com/dw/image/v2/BDBJ_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-rcbs-master-catalog/default/dw6d865b4c/images/large/rc_09165-ramprimingunit.jpg?sw=800&sh=800&sm=fit

They are listed at about $31.00 at RCBS but a little less expensive at Grafs, Midway & other folks that sell such things around $25-28.00 if you are interested in one.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to do!
:)

44magLeo
10-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Well, I guess you can call a ram prime a bench mounted priming tool. The press you put it in is mounted to a bench.
Leo

georgerkahn
10-18-2019, 11:51 AM
I have and use three of the RCBS bench mounted units. Darrel Holland -- https://www.hollandguns.com/32m7/parts-accessories/reloading-accessories.html -- has his Perfect Priming System which -- if not, is pretty durned close :). I bought his add-on's to make one from an existing RCBS unit. If nothing else, his spring which raises the handle is, imho, worth its weight in gold! 249897 If one is really OCD to get as close to 100% repeatable, accurate loads -- the Holland system is the way to go.
geo

country gent
10-19-2019, 10:50 PM
I have had and used the rcbs single prime tool with out the tubes. I made one that is a rack and pinion drive and used it a lot again a handloading of the primers. I do use the lee ram prime in my summit press also. Today at the local gun shoe I picked up the rcbs auto bench mounted tool used but clean and in good shape. It has brass primer tubes and they appear to be for 50 primers not 100. Not a big deal. came home and glued together 2 pieces of 2 x 4 to hold it in my vise. will mount it on them tomorrow

smoked turkey
10-19-2019, 11:45 PM
If I have to prime a lot of cases I usually use the RCBS bench priming tool. It is a great tool. I keep it bolted to my bench and remove the long operating handle and store it during times I don't use it. It does not get in my way and has earned a permanent place on my bench. The only problem I can see with it is if your need to remove the primer tube before it is empty, how do you do it without making a mess with loose primers? I think surely someone has figured out how to "stop the primer flow" in these situations. I sure would like to hear about it if you have come up with a solution.

44magLeo
10-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Munt it on a board so it can be removed from the bench. Hold the tube in place and turn the tool upside down so primers slide back up tube.
When you only plan to prime less cases than a tube holds only put in the amount you need.
Leo

44magLeo
10-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Munt it on a board so it can be removed from the bench. Hold the tube in place and turn the tool upside down so primers slide back up tube.
When you only plan to prime less cases than a tube holds only put in the amount you need.
Leo

country gent
10-20-2019, 05:52 PM
Got a nice angle block made today for it and finished, mounted the bench prime on it and have it clamped in the vise to try here shortly. I like the way t looks and feels so far. I could see a light spring and plunger under handle to hold it in the up position so all that was needed was a down push on it. And possibly a stop to limit down travel

Binky
10-21-2019, 02:03 AM
For anyone looking to buy a RCBS bench mount priming tool. You might check with Midway. They have a lot of stuff from RCBS on clearance.

GWS
10-25-2019, 04:14 PM
I have and use three of the RCBS bench mounted units. Darrel Holland -- https://www.hollandguns.com/32m7/parts-accessories/reloading-accessories.html -- has his Perfect Priming System which -- if not, is pretty durned close :). I bought his add-on's to make one from an existing RCBS unit. If nothing else, his spring which raises the handle is, imho, worth its weight in gold! 249897 If one is really OCD to get as close to 100% repeatable, accurate loads -- the Holland system is the way to go.
geo

Yes, I have heard a few complain about the lack of a spring on the RCBS tube model. The APS model with it's universal case feeder doesn't have that problem and is what I use and love. IMO it is a combination of best features of other systems.

1. A spring in the handle raises it to the starting position for the next primer and advances to the next operation.
2. The APS strips automatically advances one primer at a time, and primers are separate, so there is at most a chance of one or two primers to light up following a misfeed....instead of the possibility of a whole tube of primers lighting up at once.

Of course there is the necessary loading of primers into strips with an APS loader in 25 primers per strip. Strips daisy chain together....as one gets close to the end you just add another strip. Loading 100 primers into 4 strips takes about the same time as pecking a tube of 100 full....except that you can keep going and fill box after box of stripped primers and be able to store them as safely as primers in their factory boxes. (Nobody would advise buying and loading 10 tubes and storing them in that state.)

If there is any flaw it would be the little plastic primer guide, that centers upcoming primers to the brass above. They can get lost or even wear out. When you go from large to small primers you change priming rod size an the guide size. I would recommend customers call RCBS and request a few extra guides....supplied at no charge.

Walter Laich
10-25-2019, 05:04 PM
I use mine, mounted on a board BTW, to fully seat primers.

After loading the ammo it goes in boxes bullet end down. That way I can run by finger and look at each primer. High ones go in the RCBS to get fully seated. Like the feel of the tool

jem102
10-26-2019, 06:02 PM
RCBS tube fed has worked great for many years now.

Three44s
10-26-2019, 06:51 PM
I use mine, mounted on a board BTW, to fully seat primers.

After loading the ammo it goes in boxes bullet end down. That way I can run by finger and look at each primer. High ones go in the RCBS to get fully seated. Like the feel of the tool

Ah, I never try to seat a primer deeper on a loaded round. If I miss a high primer once the bullet is seated I will pull the slug and dump the powder, seat that primer to my satisfaction and reinsert powder and reseat the bullet.

Three44s

mortyg
10-31-2019, 05:40 PM
I like the RCBS bench primer tool, that uses the regular primer tubes. I t has a great feel and strength.

mf79
07-11-2020, 02:14 PM
I have this one I got at flea market for $1.00, seller did not know what it was. I mounted spring on top
so handle returns up to make it easier to use

ioon44
07-12-2020, 09:15 AM
I would call that the buy of the year.

abunaitoo
07-14-2020, 03:20 AM
I started with the Lee hand prime (round tray), went to the RCBS bench prime, then to the RCBS APS hand prime, on to the RCBS press mount APS, now I'm back to the Lee hand prime(round tray).
The old RCBS bench prime had to be mounted on blocks, or at the edge of the bench.
Handle goes down below the base.
Did they change that on the new one???????
RCBS APS hand prime was a little hard to squeeze.
I like the universal shell holder on it.
RCBS APS press mounted works great.
I just wished it had the universal shell holder like the hand prime.
Still use it when at the bench.
Back to the Lee hand primer because it's the easiest to squeeze.

Land Owner
07-14-2020, 06:59 AM
The RCBS Automatic Priming Tool is a misnomer. There is only one aspect of the tool that approaches "automatic". Everything else is done MANUALLY.

In no way am I bashing this tool. I use it exclusively. It will outlast me. It's usefulness in my reloading regime is unquestioned. I offer the following with regard to "automation":

STEPS
1.) load the primer tube MANUALLY - up to 100x MANUAL loads for a full tube.
2.) load the primer tube onto the priming tool MANUALLY.
3.) remove the retainer clip from the primer tube MANUALLY.
4.) dispense from the primer tube to the primer plug:
......4a.) pull the handle up MANUALLY.
......4b.) push the handle down MANUALLY.
5.) set a case in the holder MANUALLY.
6.) seat a primer in the case:
......6a.) pull the handle up MANUALLY.
......6b.) push the handle down MANUALLY.
7.) change from large to small diameter primer (or vice versa) MANUALLY.
8.) adjust the primer plug for its depth of seating MANUALLY.

The unique "automation" in the out-of-the-box tool is the single primer delivery in step 4.) where cascade delivery is precluded by a spring and Stop Pin.

I modified the tool as an additional element of "automation" not provided by the Mfg. with a RETURN SPRING to raise the tool handle. This modification can be added in a number of different and - some more than others - complicated ways.

I also secured a piece of "softening" terry-cloth towel (multiple wraps) around the end of the handle as continuous pushing and pulling on the Mfg's hard rubber covering is tedious and sincerely VERY tiring against the hand. There is no loss of sensitivity from the towel, once you adjust to it - and adjust to it you will on your first 10 cases primed on your way to tens of thousands of primed cases.