PDA

View Full Version : 13 year old arrested for finger gun

marek313
10-11-2019, 02:36 PM
This is really crazy stuff. What happened to let kids be kids. Now we are arresting them for pointing a finger at someone ???? Crazy world we live in. To top it off I read somewhere else that apparently in the same school district students who brought real guns to school didnt even get a felony charge so go figure.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kansas-13-year-old-girl-who-pointed-finger-gun-classmates-n1064991

jmorris
10-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Well, you can’t spank a kid who’s acting up so why not arrest them when they point a finger....on 2nd thought that is nuts.

I suppose now they will be “red flagged” for lifetime, so all they will ever have is a finger to point...

osteodoc08
10-11-2019, 02:59 PM
And my 5 and 6 year olds were playing at a small ecotourism farm yesterday with other similar age kids using “stick guns” and I joined in on the fun. Great fun had by all and worst injury was the twisted ankle off the end of the slide for about 5 seconds.

Froogal
10-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Homeschool if at all possible.

rkrcpa
10-11-2019, 03:09 PM
This issue came up in Pennsylvania recently and resulted in a conviction.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/459423-pennsylvania-appeals-court-rules-finger-gun-pointing-a-crime?fbclid=IwAR2OiumQTrtS1_mxLOl2WsDdU1dOnh4bjld NiHaeLdEgjS_2O-_mJHkWWAE

MT Gianni
10-11-2019, 03:38 PM
This issue came up in Pennsylvania recently and resulted in a conviction.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/459423-pennsylvania-appeals-court-rules-finger-gun-pointing-a-crime?fbclid=IwAR2OiumQTrtS1_mxLOl2WsDdU1dOnh4bjld NiHaeLdEgjS_2O-_mJHkWWAE

The conviction was for misdemeanor criminal activity. This 13 year old is being charged with a felony. If it were up to me the County Attorney would be looking for employment. One could argue that the finger was to be used for a sex act and it would be ignored but in todays climate, to imitate a gun will get you to trial. Crazy times we live in.

dangitgriff
10-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Government schools are the disease.
Homeschooling is the remedy.
—Griff

marek313
10-11-2019, 04:46 PM
There are many things wrong with this unfortunate incident. Going beyond the felony issue. How do you handcuff 13 year old for that and arrest them is beyond me. Even if I was that LEO and I HAD to arrest that child in order to keep my job, you have to have no heart at all to handcuff that poor girl and walk her out of school like that for all other students to see. Thats horrible. What kind of an example do we set as adults.

Now do you think that fixed anything or did that just create endless perpetual cycle of weekly shrink visits for that child? I feel bad for her and her parents.

JBinMN
10-11-2019, 08:14 PM
Osteodoc08,

I don't know why, but your post #3 posted at 1:59 PM CST is the same as your post #9 at 4:05 PM CST.

JBinMN
10-11-2019, 08:23 PM
I read both articles. I am very disappointed about some conclusions I have from reading these articles.

One is that I think too many people are wimps.

Another is that I still think that gestures are a form of Freedom of Speech & are protected by our US Constitutions 1st Amendment. If burning a flag is considered to be Freedom of Speech, then these hand gestures certainly ought to be considered as such.

Lastly, regarding the case in Kansas, they better hire better attorneys than the others did in Penn & the other instances mention in the Penn. article.

Good grief! America is going to hell in a handbasket, with all these panty waist woosies complaining about such things, along with the judges who find such things to be illegal....

bedbugbilly
10-11-2019, 09:03 PM
I think you are all looking at this the wrong way . . . we should be filing complaints at all of this on the Left who always finger point at us for being "deplorable" . . . . "lock 'em up".

osteodoc08
10-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Osteodoc08,

I don't know why, but your post #3 posted at 1:59 PM CST is the same as your post #9 at 4:05 PM CST.

I see that. Weird. I deleted the double tap

JBinMN
10-11-2019, 09:36 PM
I see that. Weird. I deleted the double tap

:drinks:

abunaitoo
10-11-2019, 10:26 PM
I read about this.
I think the school made a huge mistake.
They will be sued.
If the school is so concerned about the well being of the students, isn't she one of the students?????
Imagine how much this is affecting her.
The cops should have known better also.

mule1
10-11-2019, 10:31 PM
I absolutely agree on the homeschooling. “Fixing” the system by putting your kids through it doesn’t work.

Petrol & Powder
10-11-2019, 10:52 PM
You can't blame the police for this one, the school put the officer in a position where he could do nothing and suffer the consequences OR do something and suffer the consequences.

From the news story:
" ...the girl was having a discussion with a classmate who asked if she could kill five people in the room, who would they be. The girl responded by allegedly making a finger gun and pointing it at four students and then pointing it at herself..."

That kid wasn't arrested for "making a finger gun gesture", as the headline leads the reader to believe. The kid was arrested for making a threat to kill four people and herself. Thirty years ago the teacher would have just told the kid to knock it off and that would be the end of it. Now the liberal teachers call the police and force the police to deal with the perceived threat the teacher couldn't deal with. If the officer tells the liberal teacher that a finger gun gesture isn't a threat - the police officer will be chastised by the liberal twits for "not taking the threat seriously".

The only thing liberal academia produces is more liberals.

How much you want to bet that the teacher that couldn't handle the "finger gun" incident was some far left wing, radical, anti-gun liberal with a quivering lower lip and Obama 08, Obama 12 & I'm with Hilary bumper stickers on her Prius ?

NyFirefighter357
10-12-2019, 09:08 AM
How much you want to bet that the teacher that couldn't handle the "finger gun" incident was some far left wing, radical, anti-gun liberal with a quivering lower lip and Obama 08, Obama 12 & I'm with Hilary bumper stickers on her Prius ?

That describes just about every teacher, especially here!

white cloud
10-12-2019, 09:19 AM
I used to have some friends who taught in the public school system here. They kept saying that their kids got dumber every year. I explained that those who could home schooled or sent their kids to a private school. One way to fix this, is to allow parents to choose where their school tax dollars go. Public education is like the USPS. Why would anyone want to convert heathcare into something like the USPS?

popper
10-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Wouldn't be anyone left in school in my day and I did grow up in that Ks neighborhood. Courts are craazy as well as the educational system. School announced it was NOT their decision to have her arrested. CYA type talk!

koehn,jim
10-12-2019, 01:16 PM
And so many of you think all the fools are in California. This is nuts.

Petrol & Powder
10-12-2019, 02:38 PM
And so many of you think all the fools are in California. This is nuts.

Oh California has more than its share of fools but by no means a monopoly on idiocy.
Fools are distributed far and wide.

higgins
10-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Today Texas and Oklahoma played what for many decades was called the Red River Shootout; for the last several years it has been billed as the Red River Rivalry, I suppose after the PC idiots at the networks got together with the PC idiots at the schools and decided calling it a shootout might inspire gunplay with real guns. Oh, BTW, they have cannon fire and other explosions to celebrate touchdowns.

Walks
10-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Scares the bejeesus out of me.

What are these kids going to be like in 20yrs. Glad I'll be gone.

JBinMN
10-12-2019, 08:10 PM
The Political Correctness / "PC", of current times, is a bunch of Bovine Scat & is part of the ruination of this country...

marek313
10-14-2019, 04:38 PM
The Political Correctness / "PC", of current times, is a bunch of Bovine Scat & is part of the ruination of this country...

Good thing they arent reading our boards or we would need a "Safe Space" forum where they can all sit and complain about the rest of internet and talk about their frail feelings. I completely agree with you on this. Even seen one of those lefty teens get put behind a register as a first job ? Crying 2 mins later in the corner because everyone is mean lol Definitely a different world from when I was a kid.

bbs70
10-15-2019, 10:29 AM
I guess next you can be arrested when you fart, for a deadly gas attack on civilians

RegCom7
10-15-2019, 02:09 PM
I'm almost surprised that it's still legal to buy cap guns and squirt guns. Doesn't that promote violence? Isn't that child endangerment? :roll:

vtech26
10-24-2019, 08:31 AM
We now live in a different world than years years past. Kids are now bringing guns into schools and shooting up the place. That probably has something to do with it. Do we agree with the result. Heck no! I remember when I was in high school we would be able to make crossbows, knife, club for projects. I even brought my hunting rifle to school and the shop teacher helped me put final touches on a stock I made. Back then we didn't go in schools or places and shoot people. Different crazy times we live in. It believe it will get worse before it gets better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dh2
10-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Glad they didn't do that when I was growing up, we would have been doing life in prison before we got out of grade school.

Ed K
10-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Superintendent of the local school district home schools. That's a statement!