PDA

View Full Version : SKS Finally Scoped

StarMetal
12-12-2005, 03:51 PM
All, I finally got the SKS scoped. I chose a mini-compact 3x9 scope with a military recticle. You know these SKS mounts are short, but boy this scope was shorter then I thought it would be, 7.5 inches. I had to cut a Weaver base mount slot to the the front ring back. This mount is by Choate and it's 4130 Steel has four 8/40 screws to mount it on the left receiver wall. With this scope mount you can still use your iron sight (that is the last picture posted here) and still remove the receiver cover , bolt and bolt carrier. ATI has a similar mount, but you can't use your iron sights and you can't tear the rifle down without taking the mount off too, not good. I'm going to see what this Yugo SKS can really do since it shot so well with iron sights.

Joe

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385SKS1.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385SKS2.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/7385SKS3.JPG

sundog
12-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Cool, Joe. I've been thinking of scout scoping (low power) a K98. sundog

Scrounger
12-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Joe, I expect one-hole groups or better.... [smilie=l:

StarMetal
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Art,

I haven't officially shot it with the scope yet except a 1/2 gal paper milk carton at about 80 yards to see how close I mounted the scope. Pretty close I hit it. When the weather gets alittle better I'll wring her out.

Joe

StarMetal
12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Cool, Joe. I've been thinking of scout scoping (low power) a K98. sundog

sundog

Thanks. I thought along while about scoping mine too. I figured I wanted a strong non moveable mount and went with this Choate mount rather then a receiver cover mount.

Joe

versifier
12-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Joe, I think you made a great mount choice. My friend put one on his after someone bubba'd the front sight. I talked him into a red dot sight and he happily makes the soda cans dance out to 150yds with it. He doesn't hunt, but I popped a woodchuck with it at about 80yds with a head shot (we have a friend who likes to eat them, there generally isn't anything left of them but small pieces when I use my usual varminting rig). I wouldn't hesitate to take a deer with it - light, handy, quick on target, accurate. There are too many of my own guns waiting in line ahead of it, though.

StarMetal
12-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Versifier

I agree with you except on one thing...a Yugo SKS isn't light by any means. I'll have to weight mine. I believe it's over 10 pounds easy. They also aren't that short. They are a great rifle though. We'll see what this thing does with my cast soon.

Hey wouldn't it be something if it shot along side the CZ bolt rifle in that caliber? I'm dreaming I'm dreaming.

Joe

Toney
12-17-2005, 03:15 PM
looks good

StarMetal
12-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks Toney

Joe

Hang Fire
12-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Nice looking set up Joe, one of the better ones I have seen to date.

I have a Chicom type 56 I bought back in the 80's from a guy, got it and 2400 rds of ammo for $120.00. Have never regretted it, the coyote ugly beast can shoot, and never had a malfunction

StarMetal
12-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Hang Fire

Thanks for your kind words. The SKS are one of the most reliable semi autos out there. My only criticism of them are for what they are, they are gawd awful heavy. By the way I weighed my Yugo SKS with the scope and all and full magazine of ammo, plus sling....10 lbs on the buttom. Remember now..I removed the bayonet, the grenade launcher sights, and some other metal. So I'm sure it would go 11 lbs easy. That's dang heavy. They also are long. Other then that, really fine rifle.

Joe

Hang Fire
12-17-2005, 11:21 PM
StarMetal

That weight may be one of the reasons they are so accurate, and steel & wood don't come light.

StarMetal
12-18-2005, 06:08 PM
All,

I've been spending the past few days fiddling aroudn shooting my scoped SKS. I had a hard time getting it zeroed in. Then I was getting shotgun groups. I'm using two powder both surplus...844 and 4895. It was pretty cold yesterday and I reloaded today and got out again today as it was a really nice day. I adjusted both loads and finally got just slightly over an inch group with the 4895 with three almost touching one another definately in an inch. I'm closing in on it. The rifle is very hard to shoot with that mini-compact 3x9, not an excuse, but the truth. By the way I have the gasvalve in the off position and I hand cycle it. Personally I don't think the last group I got was too shabby concidering this a military Yugo SKS rifle definately not made for competing with the likes of those bolt action 7.62x39's some of you have out there. I told Maven that I had decided to try a scope on my SKS before forking out some big bucks for a CZ 7.62x39 bolt rifle. Kind of glad I didn't although I wouldn't mine have any new CZ bolt rifle. Oh the bullet is the Lee 312-155. Brass is Win and primers are CCI. The old load were 23 grs of surplus 844 and 25 grs of surplus 4895. I won't say what the new loads are because I think they may be hot for other's rifles.

Joe

Maven
12-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Joe, If you have WC 820, try 14-15gr. with the Lee CB: Very accurate, but not very fast. Btw, I also use Win. brass usually with Win. LR primers and no fillers of any kind.

versifier
12-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Joe, my friend's is Chinese. I didn't realize there's that much weight difference. It is heavier than a Win94, but still much too light for weight training. Is the Yugo machined out of a solid chunk? The one he has is stamped.

StarMetal
12-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes, the Yugo is totally machined. This particular model is alittle heavier because it incorporates a grenade launcher. Barrel is threaded in too. Everything milled including the trigger guard.

Joe

C A Plater
12-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Them Yugo SKSs are rugged beasties. I restocked mine, shortened the barrel to just behind the front sight and installed a Millet base in the rear sight. I have a spare 2x Burris pistol scope I tried on it first and am now playing with a Tasco dot. It handles much better for me now. I'm looking in to lowering the mount to bring the sight down closer to the bore and maybe using a reflex type sight. The barrel is about 17.5" so still plenty legal. I've got a picture here: http://tcbunch.com/kiosk/sks002.jpg for the next 30 days.

Crowkiller
12-25-2005, 05:29 PM
How hard is the receiver to drill and tap? I've always wanted to do one of these , but never have gotten around to it....

StarMetal
12-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Well it's easy. For one thing it's perfectly flat. Just a matter of positioning the mount where you want it and center punching the holes, then drilling out with proper size bit for the tap. My mount used 8-40 screws which are pretty big. Metal wasn't hard at all.

Joe

Blackwater
12-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Re scoping the SKS, I think mine are Romanians with screwed in barrels, and the rear action covers fit really tight. I found a weaver style mount for the M-1100 Rem. shotgun fit it good, so had it drilled and tapped for that. So far, has worked like a charm. It's wearing a red dot scope now, and sitting in a Choate lightwt. plastic stock. Now if I could just get that darn TRIGGER to let go a mite easier!

Herb in Pa
12-26-2005, 11:40 AM
I've got a mid 50's vintage Izzy SKS that I didn't want to alter. I found an extra rear cover and used some of the Brownell's scope mounting blocks. It cuurrently wears a red dot scope,. The receiver cover is a snug enough fit that it retains zero pretty well. Williams also had a replacement rear sight with a peep that's also handy for older eyes.