PDA

View Full Version : potassium chrorate

cjensen
10-08-2019, 06:31 PM
I am looking for a reasonably priced source of potassium chlorate. need to make percussion caps.

rancher1913
10-08-2019, 07:51 PM
might try firework component suppliers like skylighter.

FLINTNFIRE
10-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Why chlorate and not perchlorate , both have been used in percussion caps , in looking at it I believe the potassium perchlorate would be my choice , I usually buy stuff from phils general store also known as ihaveadotcom have bought sulfur and potassium nitrate from him .

Mr_Sheesh
10-09-2019, 12:43 AM
I'd think Perchlorate formulae are safer than Chlorate ones, based on my experience from many moons ago.

Castaway
10-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Try https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound. I ordered the kit and make primers with beer cans using a punch die for caps. Easily done. The kit has four compounds (KCLO4, sulphur, talcum/ ground glass and something else (bat wings?)and appropriate dippers to get right proportions. After firing, a reddish orange deposit is left behind but comes off with soap and water

cjensen
10-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks to all. I have the sharpshooter kit and was looking for more of the compound. The formula I was looking at required pot chlorate. Looks like the perchlorate will also work.

oldred
10-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Either Potassium Chlorate or Potassium Perchlorate is going to be hard to buy, it's not illegal (Yet!!!!) but most places won't sell it to just anyone, go to sklighter's site and read their policy and most others are the same.

The good news is the Potassium Chlorate is easy and cheap to make at home, all you need is some good Chlorine bleach (Chlorox not the cheap stuff) and some potassium chloride (salt substitute from WalMart, etc.). I won't go into the how-to because it would be too long but it's not at all hard to do and instructions for making it are very easily found on the 'net, dozens of sites go into detail and even Youtube has videos.

waksupi
10-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Be careful with it, it is highly explosive itself, and can go off with the slightest impact. I had some around and gave it to a fireworks maker, as I was afraid to even have the stuff around the shop. I don't scare easy.

FLINTNFIRE
10-10-2019, 12:29 PM
The perchlorate is not hard to buy , yes skylighters policy is about people who want to make flash powder , phils general store is easy to do business with and he sells the perchlorate more stable stuff , like any chemical use safety caution and sense , storing or using , and I would go the perchlorate route for what you are wanting to make , please post some pictures and your progress and success , and good luck

Surculus
10-31-2019, 07:43 PM
I am looking for a reasonably priced source of potassium chlorate. need to make percussion caps.

Is there any particular reason you're hot to make your own corrosive-primed caps? Just as an exercise in independence ["I'll be ready if the govt. ever shuts off access"] or because you think you'll save $ vs getting store-bought caps? I've heard small pistol primers in a section of 1/4" nylon hose works a treat for reducing costs [3c/primer vs. 10c/cap. IDK how much the piece of nylon hose adds to the cost...] As others have said, use the perchlorate, it's much safer to work with. From what I've read, just mixing dry sulfur powder and chlorate results in spontaneous combustion; obviously a lot more sensitive for ignition, and you'd never mix them dry, but why risk it? Perchlorate is supposed to work well enough [look up FA17? primer formula...]

Tom Herman
11-02-2019, 12:10 PM
From what I've read, just mixing dry sulfur powder and chlorate results in spontaneous combustion; obviously a lot more sensitive for ignition, and you'd never mix them dry, but why risk it?

I can tell you from personal experience that mixing dry Potassium Chlorate and Sulfur is not generally a good idea...The mixture is HIGHLY sensitive to shock... I never had it spontaneously combust, but it is a definite possibility.
Generally, mixing and grinding certain compounds together wet decreases the likelihood of an accident happening, but extreme care is still warranted.
Best bet would be to grind small amounts (less than a gram!) of wet Potassium Chlorate and Sulfur separately from each other, then combine and mix thoroughly (a paste).
Best of Luck, be CAREFUL!!! I shattered a 3/8"" thick mortar when I wasn't as careful as I should have been...

-Tom

Kraschenbirn
11-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Dry-mixing pure Potassium Chlorate with anything is DANGEROUS!! Don't ask how I know because I'd have to show you the burn scars from high school Chemistry...and I graduated from HS in 1963.

Bill

Mr_Sheesh
11-03-2019, 03:11 AM
I'd wet it to a slurry, make SURE it's all wet, and only then mix things. Old caps used KClO3, S, and Red Phosphorous, among other things; Mostly those. Once it dries again it's back to very sensitive to impact / friction (or even nasty looks IMO.)

Fla.HP
04-14-2023, 07:11 AM
Forgive my newbie status but how do you wet Potassium percolate? With acetone, or water?

GregLaROCHE
04-14-2023, 03:07 PM
I’m getting interested in trying to make some caps (primers). What exactly do you need? Are there a lot of different recipes?

Fla.HP
04-14-2023, 08:11 PM
Forgive my newbie status but how do you wet Potassium percolate? With acetone, or water?

I am makin my own percussion caps, and am having limited success. I would rather make a paste. I just wanna do it right...

deces
04-15-2023, 03:33 AM
I’m getting interested in trying to make some caps (primers). What exactly do you need? Are there a lot of different recipes?

https://aardvarkreloading.com/index.html

jonp
04-15-2023, 04:35 AM
There are a number of recipes for making the stuff but read the tutorial on Skylighter. I read it some time ago but I think I remember their multiple cautions and to make sure it is wet and done outside.

Fla.HP
04-15-2023, 06:39 AM
https://aardvarkreloading.com/index.html

I thank you very much...the link and resulting information was enormous. Found all the info I needed, in spades. The history of percussion cap making was both entertaining as well as informative.

Y'all are awesome, THANX!

john.k
04-15-2023, 06:39 AM
What about bromate ?....years ago ,we came into posession of a cardboard keg of potassium bromate ,apparently used in hairdressing,or some such..........anyhoo,blew a cannon to numerous pieces with bromate and sugar ,and rusted anything steel in a half a mile .

Jungle Dave
04-19-2023, 12:15 AM
Be careful with it, it is highly explosive itself, and can go off with the slightest impact. I had some around and gave it to a fireworks maker, as I was afraid to even have the stuff around the shop. I don't scare easy.

Waksupi is right. Back in the early 80's, my grandmother told me not to be messing with it, and she was right. How she knew about Potassium Chlorate will forever be a mystery, but always listen to grandma. The stuff is not something to just have sitting around the house. And this coming from someone that does not scare easy either. I'm all for making our own caps, but there has to be a safer way.

Fla.HP
04-19-2023, 08:58 PM
When I make up a batch, it is VERYsmall, enought to do about 20 caps...and follow all the safety stuff. Still scares the bejesus outta me, keeps me "respectful"

john.k
04-20-2023, 04:10 AM
Chlorate was and is a common weedkiller with no lasting environmental effect .......its an old story about clothing saturated with chlorate exploding when dry.

Jungle Dave
04-20-2023, 09:10 AM
Well, I'll be! That has to be how she knew. She didn't want my clothes to explode!! To be honest, I don't want them exploding either. Thanks, John. I've always wondered, and now I know :D

elmacgyver0
04-20-2023, 04:05 PM
Why not just buy Prime-All from .22 reloader?

perotter
04-20-2023, 07:27 PM

It's cheap to buy from other sources if one loads a lot of them. But if one is going to load a small amount or just wants to try it, then Prime-All would be a reasonable thing to but.

Fla.HP
04-20-2023, 08:20 PM
Most places I checked were"back ordered" or "not currently available". But I will check out .22 Reloader.

Guess I'm afraid of not being able to get it later.

Fla.HP
04-20-2023, 08:59 PM

Thanks, elmacgyver0...Done deal.

perotter
04-21-2023, 03:28 AM
Looks like I'm a bit late, but PYRO CHEM SOURCE has it in stock for $8.00 per lbs. Enough for a for about 25,000 plus.

I've been buying from them for some time, FWIW.

Jungle Dave
04-21-2023, 05:03 AM
Looks like I'm a bit late, but PYRO CHEM SOURCE has it in stock for $8.00 per lbs. Enough for a for about 25,000 plus.

I've been buying from them for some time, FWIW.

Thanks for this link! I'm gonna order my sulfur and potassium nitrate for my ball mill from them. Good prices. And I guess I'll get the potassium chlorate for caps, but I don't know how to do those yet. So, I'm assuming you wet the powder and dab a small amount in the cap and let air dry and then glue a little paper disc over it? Or is it more complicated?

barnetmill
04-21-2023, 09:00 AM
Waksupi is right. Back in the early 80's, my grandmother told me not to be messing with it, and she was right. How she knew about Potassium Chlorate will forever be a mystery, but always listen to grandma. The stuff is not something to just have sitting around the house. And this coming from someone that does not scare easy either. I'm all for making our own caps, but there has to be a safer way.

I was told that farmers at one time used it to blow stumps and that may be the basis of Grandma's knowledge.
I have read of KClO3 when mixed with sulfur going off spontaneously. I read an account many years ago in the american rifleman of someone making fireworks and leaving it sit in a hot garage.
I think many, many years ago before they could get plastic explosives that the IRA used it for terrorism. But if caps do not start becoming more available I might just buy one of the kits to makes caps.
Elsewhere I have read that it should be mixed with buffering materials to counteract acids when mixed with sulfur. I just would not want to mess with it and I keep putting off getting a flintlock.

ofitg
04-21-2023, 10:10 AM
When I make up a batch, it is VERYsmall, enought to do about 20 caps...and follow all the safety stuff. Still scares the bejesus outta me, keeps me "respectful"

^^^^^
THIS is the first Safety Rule. Work with small quantities!

I have heard about two guys having mishaps with the “Prime-All” kit – both of those guys were trying to mix the ingredients by grinding them together with a mortar & pestle. Fortunately they were wearing eye protection and heavy gloves so they were not seriously hurt….. but their mortar bowls were demolished.
It is safe to grind the Sulfur and Antimony Sulfide together, but if you need to get clumps out of the Potassium Chlorate, it must be ground separately…. To avoid cross-contamination it is wise to clean/wash the mortar & pestle before you do this.

People who have tried the “Prime-All” kit generally agree that the binder (tan granules) included with the kit does not work well. People have reported good results with Duco (nitrocellulose) cement, and I have found that a few drops of my wife’s clear nail polish – diluted with acetone – also works well. More info in this thread -

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?453041-Prime-All-quot-Super-Duper-Secret-quot

perotter
04-21-2023, 12:29 PM
Thanks for this link! I'm gonna order my sulfur and potassium nitrate for my ball mill from them. Good prices. And I guess I'll get the potassium chlorate for caps, but I don't know how to do those yet. So, I'm assuming you wet the powder and dab a small amount in the cap and let air dry and then glue a little paper disc over it? Or is it more complicated?

Not really any more complicated than that. Or you can do them dry. I've done it both ways.

If doing it dry, fill the cap and then compress the mixture with a proper sized punch of some type. If nothing else, the blunt end of a a drill bit.

To be honest with you, I've typed up how to do it wet so many times I've lost track and seeing aardvark reloading has what you seek please go there. Him and Marshall did a lot of work doing that site in order that all can learn how to do it and are both great guys.

perotter
04-21-2023, 12:47 PM
I was told that farmers at one time used it to blow stumps and that may be the basis of Grandma's knowledge.
I have read of KClO3 when mixed with sulfur going off spontaneously. I read an account many years ago in the american rifleman of someone making fireworks and leaving it sit in a hot garage.
I think many, many years ago before they could get plastic explosives that the IRA used it for terrorism. But if caps do not start becoming more available I might just buy one of the kits to makes caps.
Elsewhere I have read that it should be mixed with buffering materials to counteract acids when mixed with sulfur. I just would not want to mess with it and I keep putting off getting a flintlock.

There supposedly has been cases of it going off spontaneously, but I've never found when or where it's happened. But that doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen.

Like anything reloading related if one isn't comfortable doing it, not doing it might be best as the stress would out weigh the sense of success.

super6
04-21-2023, 01:41 PM
There supposedly has been cases of it going off spontaneously, but I've never found when or where it's happened. But that doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen.

Like anything reloading related if one isn't comfortable doing it, not doing it might be best as the stress would out weigh the sense of success.

And there you have it. I have made at least 100 lbs of potassium chlorate using the electrolysis method, And tested the results using a 5 pound hammer and an and anvil. You will never see a reaction until acid ( sulfuric acid) is in the mix, Then it will spontaneous combust. It will not Defalgurate till you add fuel.

john.k
04-21-2023, 06:45 PM
One thing about chlorate that there is no disagreement about,is how corrosive it is .....the slightest trace of the dust on steel is bulk rust...........so keep your guns and reloading gear well away .

ofitg
04-22-2023, 10:50 AM
One thing about chlorate that there is no disagreement about,is how corrosive it is .....the slightest trace of the dust on steel is bulk rust...........so keep your guns and reloading gear well away .

AardvarkReloading.com also presents info on a non-corrosive primer composition (EPH20), for people who don't want to clean their guns.

Fla.HP
04-22-2023, 01:59 PM
What would be considered a safe delay time when a percussion cap does not fire in a black powder pistol that cannot be quickly ejected? What is the safest way to treat the situation?