PDA

View Full Version : Patch Size

GregLaROCHE
10-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Is there a chart that gives patch size according to caliber. I’m interested in .69 cal, but it would be interesting to have information for other sizes for future reference.
Thanks

dave951
10-08-2019, 07:27 AM
I don't patch 69cal and no issues in shooting

GregLaROCHE
10-08-2019, 07:42 AM
I’ve tried both ways, patched and unpatched. I decided to go with patched and ordered a mold of the appropriate size. Some people do well in competition here with unpatched, but most patch.

The other day when I pulled out the ramrod after loading, the patch and ball came out with it. I think I need smaller patches. I’m making them myself, that’s why I am asking about appropriate size.

C.F.Plinker
10-08-2019, 08:07 AM
The minimum patch size is about 1.6 times the diameter. For 0.69 this works out to be 1.1 inches. Try cutting a strip of 1-1/8 inches or 1-1/4 inches and see how they work cutting at the muzzle.

RU shooter
10-08-2019, 08:13 AM
The other day when I pulled out the ramrod after loading, the patch and ball came out with it. I think I need smaller patches. I’m making them myself, that’s why I am asking about appropriate size.

Or a smaller dia. rod tip . I don't know of any chart I cut square patches and sorta just wrap the ball mark and measure I error on the side of bigger to compensate for having the patch slightly off center when I lay it on the muzzle and set the ball on it .