PDA

View Full Version : .314-90 swc- let's hear your favorite loads!!

John McCorkle
10-07-2019, 10:51 PM
Ok I have to admit that of all my casting and shooting and tinkering the most fun I am having lately is with this blasted 314-90 swc Lee makes in all my 30 cal rifles. No kidding they are just spectacular fun!

303 Brit? Yup, giggled like a kid in a candy store

30 06? Absolutely...poa for my hunting load too

300 blk? Prob my favorite cartridge to stuff it in, absolute blast.

I use 3.2 gr of Tite group in my 300 blk load and it's stoopid accurate...spend time cutting saplings down and pegging pine cones on the ground from 30-50 yards.

I use what scrap unknown alloy I have lying around that is relatively soft (mostly range scrap) and powder coat because I'm on that kick...but

What are you guys using? What is your favorite load, cartridge, and most specifically what is a favorite use for these little bunny fart load pills? Let's hear the stories... because if you are like me you just shootem by the hundreds...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Jniedbalski
10-08-2019, 12:18 AM
The lee swc or the 100 gr rn sized .311 in a axis 308 with 3.0 gr of bullseye can’t load enuf. The kids love them and every body that tries them. Like a big 22lr very accurate just like a good 22 rifle

Bookworm
10-08-2019, 07:58 AM
I use those little things in 30/30 and 7.62x54r. I found an opened bottle of Clays from the 1980s that I had forgotten about, and use 3-4 grains in either.

The 30\30 l size to .311, the 54r gets em straight from the mould. Tumble lube and go. Range scrap lead.

25 to 50 yds, it's a ball. Surprisingly accurate, I shoot however many I bring out, so I have to ration them.

Larry Gibson
10-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Been using the Lee TL314-90-SWC in numerous cartridges for years.

In 32 S&WL for use in my S&W M30 I load it over 2.9 gr Bullseye seating to and crimping in the 2nd lube groove. Bullets are sized .314 and lubed with BAC. In the 32 H&R magnum for use in my original run Ruger SS I load them over 3.2 gr Bullseye and seat/crimp in the 1st lube groove.

I 30/31 cal rifles I use the .314 sized bullets in the 31 cal rifles and run the .314 sized and lubed bullets through a .311 Lee sizer for use in my 30 cal rifles.

With either caliber in cases with case capacity of the 7.62x39 up through the 300 Savage I simply use 2.9 gr Bullseye. In cases with case capacity of the 308W up through the 30-06 I use 3.2 gr Bullseye. Those combinations always work.

Sometimes I also lube the TL bullets with LLA (as per the instructions), let thoroughly dry before any sizing or use.

GhostHawk
10-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Well I have shot my .314 90 gr tc in every .30 cal rifle I have, yes that includes the Mosin's and the SKS. Did just fine. Rocks in the .30-30 with 4-6 grains of Red Dot. And it is easy to tell by feel alone the difference between the .314 90 gr and the .312 185 gr. So you can have a low powered rabbit/grouse load and a higher powered deer load and tell them apart.

But if I'm honest, I'm having the most fun with them in pistols.

.32sw long with 2 grains of Red Dot shoots awesome in my little H&R Snubbie. And shoots like lasers in the Ruger New Model Single Six in .32H&R mag.

And the same bullet and same load also works just fine in my Beretta 81 in .32acp.

In fact, I have yet to find a .30 caliber anything that won't shoot this bullet with great accuracy with a few grains of Red Dot behind it.

Of all my molds, 2 cavity, 6 cavity this one is my all around favourite. It gets shot in more calibers with varying amounts of powder and it excells at them all. Cast fairly soft, roughly 50% COWW and 50% pure lead or range scrap, with maybe 1% tin/pewter added. Sized down if needed. Lubed with 2 or 3 very light coats of BLL. This bullet just plain loves to shoot.

I only wish it came in a 6 cavity mold.

Green Frog
10-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Not to overstate the obvious, but that bullet is just about perfect for the 32 S&W Long. Mine get 2.5 grains of Bullseye and a standard Winchester Small Pistol Primer. Could it be that this was their original purpose?? :mrgreen:
:Fire:

Froggie

John McCorkle
10-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Well I have shot my .314 90 gr tc in every .30 cal rifle I have, yes that includes the Mosin's and the SKS. Did just fine. Rocks in the .30-30 with 4-6 grains of Red Dot. And it is easy to tell by feel alone the difference between the .314 90 gr and the .312 185 gr. So you can have a low powered rabbit/grouse load and a higher powered deer load and tell them apart.

But if I'm honest, I'm having the most fun with them in pistols.

.32sw long with 2 grains of Red Dot shoots awesome in my little H&R Snubbie. And shoots like lasers in the Ruger New Model Single Six in .32H&R mag.

And the same bullet and same load also works just fine in my Beretta 81 in .32acp.

In fact, I have yet to find a .30 caliber anything that won't shoot this bullet with great accuracy with a few grains of Red Dot behind it.

Of all my molds, 2 cavity, 6 cavity this one is my all around favourite. It gets shot in more calibers with varying amounts of powder and it excells at them all. Cast fairly soft, roughly 50% COWW and 50% pure lead or range scrap, with maybe 1% tin/pewter added. Sized down if needed. Lubed with 2 or 3 very light coats of BLL. This bullet just plain loves to shoot.

I only wish it came in a 6 cavity mold.Wish it come in a 6 gang mold too....but it teaches me patience I guess

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk