PDA

View Full Version : M-P Molds 452423 HP - has anyone used this boolit?

Hardcast
10-06-2019, 11:57 AM
I know there have been threads about this but my search did not provide the needed info. I believe I have a 2 cavity brass mold from Miha for this boolit, but have never used it. Recently I bought some commercially cast 225 grain boolits that look like they came from MP Molds 452423 HP mold. Have not loaded any yet but I wonder if any of you have used this boolit and what can you tell me about it? How has it performed in actual use? Thanks.

Bigslug
10-06-2019, 11:10 PM
I can't tell you about the MP version, but if it's only 225 grains, it's probably either not a 452423 clone or they cast them out of something lighter than our common lead mixes. I went through a phase with this bullet a few years back and acquired both a 2-C rounded lube groove Lyman and a 5-C NOE that seems much closer to a copy of Keith's original. The listed Lyman spec back in the day was 238 grains. As I recall, both of mine were closer to 250, maybe even 255. I've moved on to other things, but it is a wicked little short range thumper. Nothing subtle about it at all.:mrgreen:

Hardcast
10-06-2019, 11:17 PM
I can't tell you about the MP version, but if it's only 225 grains, it's probably either not a 452423 clone or they cast them out of something lighter than our common lead mixes. I went through a phase with this bullet a few years back and acquired both a 2-C rounded lube groove Lyman and a 5-C NOE that seems much closer to a copy of Keith's original. The listed Lyman spec back in the day was 238 grains. As I recall, both of mine were closer to 250, maybe even 255. I've moved on to other things, but it is a wicked little short range thumper. Nothing subtle about it at all.:mrgreen:

You do understand that hollow points will cast a little lighter than the same boolit in flat nose, right?