PDA

View Full Version : Another reason for sizing bullets

Froogal
10-05-2019, 09:07 AM
I've been casting for my .357 and also for my .45 Colt for a couple of years now. I bought the sizing die for the .357, and used it on a few, but decided it was not needed so I stopped sizing them. Recently ran into issues with those cartridges not wanting to chamber in my Rossi R92. Long story short, the UNsized bullets were bulging the brass just enough that they could not pass through the cartridge guides, which caused much grief and frustration. Learned an important lesson. I will be using that sizing die from now on.

rancher1913
10-05-2019, 09:10 AM
or a factory crimp die

ShooterAZ
10-05-2019, 09:16 AM
While sometimes it's not really necessary, I size them anyway just for consistency.

Petrol & Powder
10-05-2019, 09:25 AM
I can see the attraction to loading bullets "as cast", particularly when dealing with large volumes of cartridges. The Sticky that covers 75,000 wadcutters in a Model 27 is a prime example.

However, for me, the advantages of sizing out weigh the annoyance of the additional work. The uniformity of the bullets is a big advantage. Another opportunity to examine the bullet before it makes it to the loading press is an advantage. For those of us that don't tumble lube or powder coat - a Lubersizer is just part of the process of reloading.

mdi
10-05-2019, 11:29 AM
The only reason I size bullets is to make sure the fit the gun they are intended for...

Outpost75
10-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Key is to have a mold which drops bullets of correct diameter without sizing!

gpidaho
10-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Froogal: You could use the Lee bulge buster to size the ones already loaded. It doesn't seem like a good idea at first but I've used it with no problems. That is what the system is designed to do. Gp

Petrol & Powder
10-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Key is to have a mold which drops bullets of correct diameter without sizing!
If you're tumble lubing but if you have to run it through a lubersizer anyway .......?

Froogal
10-05-2019, 01:54 PM
or a factory crimp die

The factory crimp die will not correct the bulge. I tried it. Made them better, but not good enough.

mdi
10-05-2019, 09:30 PM
The factory crimp die will not correct the bulge. I tried it. Made them better, but not good enough. Yes. The post seating sizing die; the Lee FCD for handguns does not fix anything, it just covers up a reloading problem. Getting a cartridge to chamber correctly is not a mystery. If a cartridge does not fit in a chamber there is a problem, many time a bulge from excess crimping, failure to remove a flare, and occasionally an extra large bullet in a "tight" chamber. I have reloaded semi-auto cartridges that fit chambers properly since '88, using swaged, cast (up to .004" over) and jacketed bullets and have no need for any after seating sizing...