PDA

View Full Version : Casting indoors?

kmw1954
10-04-2019, 12:38 AM
Winter is coming of course and casting outside in the snow just doesn't appeal to me.

My reloading room is in an upstairs room with a double hung window that I could set up and use as an exhaust means. So my thinking is a bench in front of the window for the electric pot and building a powered vented hood to go over the pot. Is this possible? I can fit a plywood panel in the top opening of the window with either solid or flexible ducting with a fan to pull the air out.

Thought, ideas, suggestions?

rbt5050
10-04-2019, 12:45 AM
as long as you have a good venting system. I would want to make sure all the fumes are going out the window.

bmortell
10-04-2019, 01:22 AM
it probably try to do it like they do in chemistry with a vent hood, they do very toxic reactions indoors safely. basically make a rectangle box that's open on the front face enough that you can reach and see in, then the warmer toxic air rises in the box and get pulled out ventilation in the top.

idk if that's what you were describing but that could work ya. you would want it to be enclosed apart from where you reach in or I wouldn't trust it.

bmortell
10-04-2019, 01:26 AM
also make sure the pot is fixed down, 10 pounds of liquid lead spilling in the house could be the end of the house

dikman
10-04-2019, 01:35 AM
That should work fine. Assuming your ingots are clean (which is all you should use in a pot) then the only fumes you need to worry about are if you flux the pot.

kmw1954
10-04-2019, 03:13 AM
What I am picturing is a pyramid shaped hood covering larger than the work surface with enough clearance over the top of the pot to be able to watch the pot and add material when needed and use a ladle. I imagine a fan would be needed to add enough draw to pull the fumes and smoke up into the hood where it can be exhausted to the exterior of the house.

Something along the lines and design of a small fireplace to contain the pot.

Rcmaveric
10-04-2019, 04:07 AM
There are ways to cast safely indoors. You can cast in the fire place. I honestly haven't noticed much of any fumes coming drom a clean pot. So I just cast next tona cracked window. Fluxing is when the vent is needed. I steel the wifes smell good candles to prevent conflict when fluxing indoors. Borax works well as a fume and smoke free flux.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ickisrulz
10-04-2019, 07:37 AM
Airborne lead should not be a concern. Melted lead doesn't produce fumes until it's over 900 degrees Fahrenheit. Smoke produced by fluxing should be removed, of course.

I cast in a shed and have no problems getting rid of the fluxing smoke by opening a door for a couple minutes.

The big problem with lead is eating the stuff. Therefore, do not eat, drink or smoke in the casting area. Wash your hands after a session and change your clothes.

dverna
10-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Get an old stove hood and modify it as needed. They have a small fan to vent. Make a panel you can put in the open window with a hole and piping for the vent pipe.

Good warning from bmortell about making sure the pot cannot overturn and spill hot lead. I would still have a decent sized fire extinguisher handy. It will not do much on the lead but addresses stuff that starts burring. Maybe have a 5 gallon pail of water to pour on lead if it gets away from you.

Bazoo
10-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Here is my setup, except I don't have the riser now and use a lee magnum melter instead of the 10 pound bottom dripper.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356527-I-set-up-my-casting-station-in-my-shop

https://i.imgur.com/bn9t2aK.jpg

HeavyMetal
10-04-2019, 10:19 AM
The guys have all mentioned good points but one: your going to have an "open" window in snowy cold winter, it will get real cold in that room so you might want a secondary heater just for that room. Central heat will be OK for the rest of the house but making the casting room comfortable might get the rest of the home sweltering hot which might get SWAMBO on your back, something to be avoided at all times!

Unless your single then all ben are off.

HM

SSGOldfart
10-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Here is my setup, except I don't have the riser now and use a lee magnum melter instead of the 10 pound bottom dripper.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356527-I-set-up-my-casting-station-in-my-shop

https://i.imgur.com/bn9t2aK.jpg
Wow we think alike. I cast in my den for 20 years,before somebody told me I should have a fan set-up,so out came a box window fan. After Retiring I built a shop for loading and moved my casting into the garage/ I still enjoy casting on my deck when the weather is nice. So yes casting inside is okay in my book.

MOA
10-04-2019, 10:40 AM
My summer casting location. Inside.

https://i.postimg.cc/nh1ds27y/20190906_115707.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4YmvqzWP)

My winter location. Outside.

https://i.postimg.cc/FRRXDg1t/20141023_154329.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4Kr03czw)

https://i.postimg.cc/5NNBLnnN/Photo0459.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Bazoo
10-04-2019, 10:52 AM
I did forget to mention, I have a wood stove for heat.

Ickisrulz
10-04-2019, 01:06 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/FRRXDg1t/20141023_154329.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4Kr03czw)

https://i.postimg.cc/5NNBLnnN/Photo0459.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I wouldn't recommend casting in an area where food is prepared.

kmw1954
10-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. I tried using Paint to draw a visual picture of what I'm thinking but scrapped it as my drawing skills leave much to be desired!

Understand the spill threat and a metal catch pan is planed for under the pot. What I envision is a three sided enclosure with a hood that has a power, fan vented duct. The window can be opened from the top as can the storm window and then fitted with an insulated wood panel and then sealed. The upstairs is zone heated and mostly turned off or way down during the winter and the room I use has a door to close it off and yes I do keep an oil filled radiator heater in there that warms the room quickly. It is actually more efficient than trying to keep the whole upstairs heated.

The smoke from fluxing is my biggest concern.

Bazoo
10-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Keep in mind flux bursts into flames, my fan has soot from flux flames. Just my box fan on medium is enough draft. I was unsure if it would sufficient and had thought about making a hood out of cardboard and using an exhaust fan I have. The box fan gets used elsewhere in the shop when I'm not casting.

kmw1954
10-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Believe I will give this more thought and work on dimensions as right now I'm still looking at electric furnaces, whether a bottom pour or a ladle pot will alter measurements.

Tom W.
10-04-2019, 07:01 PM
When I lived in Eufaula I had a dedicated room for my computer and my handloading. When I wanted to cast I put a box fan in the window similar to what Bazoo did, but I cast on my loading bench and the window was a few feet to my left. The fan still drew the smell and any smoke and stuff outside. My current shed has a portable floor model a/c that draws out the hot air and cools the building
( but not so well in the last two months! ) and if I need to I'll open the window behind the pot.

georgerkahn
10-04-2019, 07:28 PM
For several years I cast indoors, under a kitchen range hood vented through the wall, supplemented by a floor box fan, with me between box fan and range hood. I experienced no problems. (Had we not "remodeled", with my "disgusting habits" (including the smelly pot) being delegated to garage... I'd probably still be using it. The range hood was a garage-sale Sears', with its only "problem" being its color -- avocado -- which the lady from whence it came no longer cared for.
geo

ulav8r
10-04-2019, 10:51 PM
What I am picturing is a pyramid shaped hood covering larger than the work surface with enough clearance over the top of the pot to be able to watch the pot and add material when needed and use a ladle. I imagine a fan would be needed to add enough draw to pull the fumes and smoke up into the hood where it can be exhausted to the exterior of the house.

Something along the lines and design of a small fireplace to contain the pot.

In the window opening put a block off panel with two cutouts, one with the exhaust fan ducted to it, the other with a duct to bring in fresh air with its outlet in front of the bench. This will direct the flow across your lead pot, carrying the fumes to the fan with a minimum exchange of room air.

Winger Ed.
10-04-2019, 11:08 PM

[img]https:/ (https://postimg.cc/4Kr03czw)

If you're married,,,,,,,,,,,,, you may have the best wife in the history of the Universe.

If I tried that, the neighbors would probably find my head on a stick.

Winger Ed.
10-04-2019, 11:26 PM
building a powered vented hood to go over the pot. Is this possible? I can fit a plywood panel in the top opening of the window with either solid or flexible ducting with a fan to pull the air out.

The hood venting out the top, with the window open at the bottom enough to pull air in,
then the hood could finish the loop to pull any fumes/smoke back out.

You may need to make a plywood board with top & bottom holes to put in the fully opened window.
With a piece of dryer vent flex hose, it should get ya where you want to go.

That should work fine, and maybe with the room door closed, it wouldn't suck all the heat out of the house either.

kmw1954
10-04-2019, 11:36 PM
So tell me if I am getting the wrong impression here, that with clean lead and at casting temps of around 700* the major concern is for fluxing smoke and not as much toxic fumes?

I know many range hoods have metallic filters in them to retain cooking smoke, is that sufficient enough do you think if just casting? I ask because I really do not know the answer so if someone could educate me. Something such as that could very easily be added to my second bench.

Winger Ed.
10-04-2019, 11:41 PM
So tell me if I am getting the wrong impression here, that with clean lead and at casting temps of around 700* the major concern is for fluxing smoke and not as much toxic fumes?

I know many range hoods have metallic filters in them to retain cooking smoke, is that sufficient enough do you think if just casting? I ask because I really do not know the answer so if someone could educate me. Something such as that could very easily be added to my second bench.

I used to have a customer that spent several years working at the old Dallas Lead plant.

I'd heard that lead doesn't 'gas off' or make fumes until it gets up around 900 degrees--
which is a little hotter than most of our electric mass produced pots will go up to.

He told me that the temp. to make pure lead fumes was really closer to 1200 degrees.

At any rate-- keep your face out of the fumes and everything is fine.
It the lead is going to gas, or make 'Lead steam'- you're out of its path.
You'll also want to stay out of the flight path for the other fumes/smoke.
Even if they didn't stink, there can't be anything in the smoke or fumes that is good for ya.

kmw1954
10-05-2019, 12:06 AM
Even if they didn't stink, there can't be anything in the smoke or fumes that is good for ya.

I WAS a lifetime pack a day smoker until about 2.5yrs. ago when I finally had a heart event that gave me a nice zipper scar. So you don't have to tell me about ingesting smoke and fumes. Funny thing is, I can be in a room full of smokers and it doesn't bother me. No cravings, no that smells awful.

Guess I'm just trying not to over think this like I do so many other times yet I still want it to be safe..

dikman
10-05-2019, 04:22 AM
As long as you're using clean lead ingots in your pot you shouldn't have a problem. The danger is if you use "old" lead that has oxidised or is contaminated with other gunk, then you may have issues.

randyrat
10-05-2019, 08:13 AM
If you look around, maybe appliance stores, ask for a used stove hood with an exhaust fan that works. Set the hood up near the window, exhaust it out the window and save your self tons of money..There are more used hoods than Carter has pills, for free

Shopdog
10-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Agree with above on freeby exhaust hoods.... find a guy who installs cabinets for sLowes. Not only will he have the hoodys and help you load it but,more than likely will have plenty of cabinets to go with it.

I used a "duct fan" bought new for use in a 6" round duct. Had a pretty nice setup in an unfinished BR upstairs for years. Crack an opposing window and have at it. Lost the space when finishing the room. That was probably the best casting setup I ever had.

Rich/WIS
10-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Wish I had taken a picture of it but used a discarded stove hood vented with flexible pipe to a basement window. Fabricated three panels to enclose the sides and back. When in use would open a different basement window so as to not recycle any fumes at the vent window and cast away. I hung the hood on chains and with the sides removed would hook the chains higher to clear the area over the old desk I used for casting/reloading. When I moved here use the storage room off my carport, has two windows and cast in front of one with a small box fan in the window as exhaust and crack the door opposite the window for air flow. Retired so can pick days when the outside temp is not low enough to make make temp in the room an issue. Winter in SE KY is not like winter in WI.

NOTE: Smelting is done outside and only smoke inside is from final fluxing of clean ingots.

kmw1954
10-05-2019, 10:09 AM
randyrat, Shopdog and RichWIS that is exactly what I was thinking for a setup just wasn't sure how well it would work. Time to go hunting, I'm sure I can scrounge an old hood.

popper
10-05-2019, 10:33 AM
I would never cast in a house!
1) it will stink up the room and get dust everywhere. vent hood doesn't matter. Paint won't even coverup the oder.
2) re-sale disclosure - lead? NO SALE. Hazmat cleanup?
3) spills, tinsel fairy, lube, flux, etc.

Outside, in garage, in a tent, whatever.

kmw1954
10-05-2019, 10:09 PM
I would never cast in a house!
1) it will stink up the room and get dust everywhere. vent hood doesn't matter. Paint won't even coverup the oder.
2) re-sale disclosure - lead? NO SALE. Hazmat cleanup?
3) spills, tinsel fairy, lube, flux, etc.

Outside, in garage, in a tent, whatever.

Interesting. So what would constitute a lead hazard? Is it the melting/casting of lead or just the mere presence of lead in the room? Would the lead dust from reloading shells and the handling of spent primers in the room constitute a lead hazard?

I think I have been in a few homes that have odors far worse then the smell of melting lead. Where does the dust come from? Not looking for an argument, just looking for you to elaborate on your thinking/reasoning.

44magLeo
10-07-2019, 04:20 PM
From what I have read the most hazard you get from lead is at your dry case tumbler. The lead from the primer compound gets into the dry media. The dust from that is where the lead is. This dust is easy to breathe in.
That's why I don't dry tumble my cases. I use a water soluble case lube and wash with a hot water, Dawn dish soap and vinegar mix. Rinse with hot water. Let dry.
This might not make cases as bright any shiny, but bright and shiny don't shoot any better.
It is much safer.
If you must dry tumble, do it outside. Wear a good dust mask when pouring the cases out of the tumbler.
Leave the dust outside.
Casting boolits won't hurt you or your house.
If your worried about the resale value of your house, build a shed out back and do your casting there. It won't take much of a shed. Even if you insulate and heat it.
Leo

Bama
10-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Going through the design process now for indoor casting and found a factor that. Should not be overlooked. Most houses today are built tight and as a result if powered exhaust is not accounted for, bad things can happen. If you rely on natural draft when bathroom vent or stove hood is turned on the air exhausted must be replaced which means that air will come in from any open windows, fireplace chimneys with dampers open. Serious design consideration should be only given to powered exhaust systems with positive shut off damper when unit is not in use.

bob208
10-07-2019, 06:33 PM
I have been casting I the house for over 40 years. no ill effects. even spilled some on the floor did not burn the house down.

kmw1954
10-07-2019, 08:12 PM
From what I have read the most hazard you get from lead is at your dry case tumbler. The lead from the primer compound gets into the dry media. The dust from that is where the lead is. This dust is easy to breathe in.
That's why I don't dry tumble my cases. I use a water soluble case lube and wash with a hot water, Dawn dish soap and vinegar mix. Rinse with hot water. Let dry.
Leo

Not sure what that has to do with lead casting bullets and lead dust. Then what about those that deprime their brass before they wet tumble or those that do not tumble at all, are the spent primers causing a health hazard that is going to need to be reported before a sale of the house?

Also the vibrator tumbler I use has a cover that seals the bowl and is not vented. I have run it for hours with corn cob and never find dust covering the bench.

Bama, my house was built about 1948 and it is not weather tight like todays homes are. When the wind blows hard from the north in Jan. it can get rather drafty

44magLeo
10-08-2019, 04:55 PM
I think the main reason the op was worrying about venting was to prevent possible lead poisoning.
popper said he won't cast inside due to lead contamination in the house and effecting resale value.
I wanted to reassure people that casting boolits won't hurt them or the house.
Primers contain lead. When they ignite they leave a lead residue in the primer pocket, as well as inside the case. Dry tumbling removes this from the case and holds it in the media.
When handling the media the dust contains lead. This is harmful.
Wet tumbling the lead is held by the liquid. No dust. Just don't drink it.
To help prevent lead poisoning dry tumble out side and try not to breathe the dust. Or clean cases another way.
Just wanted people to be aware of this source of lead.
Leo

popper
10-08-2019, 05:39 PM
No, my concern is you sign a paper about lead use and other 'contamnents' in the house. Like if you smoke in your car, get les on trade in. Flux smoke is bad too. Hard to hide, even primer won't cover it. Casting inside won't hurt you if you vent.

Geezer in NH
10-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Don't sign it DUH. I have NEVER been asked that in my life!

Bazoo
10-08-2019, 07:13 PM
A closed tumbler is not an issue when running, it's when you dump the media and cases through the sifter that you get a plume of dust. I run my tumbler on the porch, before that I took it out to sift it but ran it inside.

kmw1954
10-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Well here is my take and the reason behind the question. No I am not in fear of contamination from lead. There are much worse things floating in our environment than lead dust. Long ago there was a story I believe that was in Readers Digest about lead poisoning from the lead used in coloring old China Dinnerware. At the end of the story they finally told us that one would have to completely ingest a service of 8 complete dish sets once a day for a whole lifetime before you would consume enough lead to get lead poisoning.

My concern was just the general fumes of heating molten metals and whatever else is mixed in along with the smoke from wax fluxing. I know people that burn many more candles in their homes than the wax I will ever use in my pot. Heck I still know people that burn scented oil lamps. I am an ex-smoker and learned the hard way about breathing in smoke. Yet how many of you will go out and sit around a smoking fire pit?

Again I am having a hard time relating heating lead to a molten state to lead dust coming from gun shell cases. Whether that dust is coming from just the act of depriming and reloading or tumbling/polishing. I think we all know it is there. It still needs to be dealt with no matter what way you proceed.

Personally I wet wash all my brass in a hot soapy water and Lemishine solution which that water is dumped into a bucket reserved just for this purpose and is then flushed down the toilet where it is collected and treated at the sewage plant. After the water wash it is then run thru the corn cob to polish and dry before it is stored.

Rcmaveric
10-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Candle completely combust the gasses. Same for fires. Carbon dioxide results from a complete combustion. Its the half combustion or partial combustion that are dangerous and produce carbon monoxide. If you flux and it doesnt combust into flame then you are creating carbon monoxide.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk