PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 311d..

NSP64
11-04-2008, 10:03 PM
saw one today for $225.00 . is this a good price?:holysheep

dk17hmr
11-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Depends on condition.

I bought a 311A 12 gauge for half that but the stock was a little beat up and had missing blueing. Now it looks like a classy old shotgun after I refinished it.

Doug Bowser
11-05-2008, 01:40 AM
I have a 12 ga Stevens 311. It was made prewar or just after the War. It has a Walnut stock, 26" Improved cylinder-Modified barrels and is the best pointing shotgun I have ever owned. My favorite thing is loading Black Powder shells for it. I use Federal paper shells, circle fly wads and 65 gr FFG GOEX BP.

I once went to Kansas to teach a class to 4H kids in air pistol shooting. We went to a trap field and shot our shotguns. I did not tell anyone I had BP shotgun shells. When I fired my first shot, everyone thought my gun blew up and ran off the field. After the round I hit 21 birds. The scorekeeper had to move to the left to be able to see the targets, too much smoke.

I paid $100 for the gun 2 years ago. The stock was shattered at the tang and slivers of wood were missing. I repaired the stock and I have a great gun for the money. My usual load is 1-1/8 ounce shot, WWA12 wad and 16.8 gr Red Dot.

Rick N Bama
11-05-2008, 05:17 PM
saw one today for $225.00 . is this a good price?:holysheep

If it's in good shooting condition I would grab it in a heartbeat. My wife once won a 20ga in a raffle that I used several years for Squirrel & Rabbit, then like an idiot, I traded it off. Many, many times I've regretted allowing it to get out of my pocession.

RNB

NSP64
11-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I was wondering if this gun would be O.K. to shoot steel loads from?

Harry O
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Condition means a lot, but it sounds like a good price if it is shootable.

There seems to be two types of 311's. The lower priced on has dull bluing and a plain blond wood. The higher priced one has brighter bluing, case hardening on the receiver, and has a walnut stock. I have an almost perfect one in 16ga that I love. It has full bluing on the barrels, full case hardening on the receiver, and good wood with only a few handling marks. It was made in 1958 and evidently was used little and stored carefully. I paid a fair amount over what you list to get it, but I am happy with the purchase.

dk17hmr
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Mine had the plain blond wood. Once you get it sanded down and the dents and scratches take out it will take a stain very well.

I "aged" mine but lightly burning small areas on the stock with a propane torch. Than I stained it with a dark rose wood stain/polyurathan gel, than went over it with 5-6 coats of Tru-Oil. I really like the way it turned out from what it was to start with, I'm not a fan of blond stocks anyways.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/Shotty.jpg

Mine shoots and points well for clays, but with the 30" barrels its a pain for rabbit and bird hunting. I would buy another one in a heart beat if I found a deal on it. Mine is only 2 3/4" shells, I would much rather have a 3"-26" barreled gun.