PDA

View Full Version : Nylon bore brush for 50 cal

RU shooter
10-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Does anyone make a 50 cal nylon(plastic ) borebrush for 50 cal with 10/32 threads all I can find is ones with 8/32 ,all my rods are the bigger thread size

LAGS
10-03-2019, 11:26 AM
I made an adapter to use the smaller threaded brush on my ram rod.
I took a 8/32 rod coupler.
Drilled out one half and tapped it for 10/32.
Then put a stud on it to fit my ram rod.
I have used threaded Rod Couplers to make adapters to fit things like Shotgun Brushed to fit larger Bore rifles that I have.
You can find lots of stuff you can Adapt at your local hardware store.
It doesn't take much skill to make parts you need.
And a lot cheaper than buying Custom adapters or Brushes.
But try Track of the Wolf for the brushes you need if you do not have the tools or skills , ( or time ) to make what you need.

ShooterAZ
10-03-2019, 11:38 AM
You can buy the adapters at most LGS. I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse.

LAGS
10-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Not all people have Access to LGS like Sportsman's like we Do.
And shipping exceeeds the cost of the parts.
But taking the bull by the horns , not only saves money.
, It improves ones confidence in your abilities to make what you Need.

Conditor22
10-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Muzzle-Loaders™ Nylon Bore Brushes - .50 Caliber with 10-32 Threading - 3 Pack $3.99 looks like free shipping
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/muzzle-loaders-nylon-bore-brushes-10-32-thread-3-pack-mz4105.html

they often have free shipping :)

curator
10-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Gentlemen,

Avoid having to remove a broken bore brush from your muzzle loading rifles by purchasing the correct kind of brush. The cheap-Chinese knock-offs that simply swage a threaded sleeve onto the shank will come apart leaving the bristle section lodged in your barrel--usually near the breech. The brush pictured here has the twisted shank actually go through the threaded portion preventing it from coming apart in your bore. OK, they do cost a little more but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The swaged bore brushes are adequate if only pushing the brush through from breech to muzzle. 249234

LAGS
10-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Good point about the Cheap Brushes

indian joe
10-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Good point about the Cheap Brushes

simple fix if they brass - just solder the swage joint

Buzzard II
10-04-2019, 03:27 PM
I prefer a Pro Shot Brass brush. They work.
Bob

bob208
10-05-2019, 07:40 AM
in 40 years of shooting and working on muzzleloaders I have never used a bore brush. I have removed quite a few stuck ones.

rfd
10-05-2019, 09:33 AM
IF you have some serious trad muzzy tube cleaning to do, forget nylon brushes, you want/Need bronze, along with chemicals.

with trad muzzys used only with black powder, and with at least a reasonable maintenance procedure, there is never a need for a bore brush of any kind. nylon brushes are for BP fouling control at best, bronze are mandatory if you've screwed up yer maintenance that now demands a buncha elbow grease and lotsa wasted time. with reasonable trad muzzy after-shoot maintenance, there is Never a need for bore brushing and cleaning is a Fast and Easy Breeze ... with WATER only. folks who don't understand this are just missing the trad muzzy boat.