PDA

View Full Version : Need advise how to clean mould

gcollins
11-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I have never had this happen, and i don't know what caused it, I think I do!
I have moulded bullets for a long time, allways using W.W. ,Now I have got involded in long range Black Powder shooting. I have never used pure lead, I tried pure lead, they were bad! But I tried to shoot them with no luck! So I told to add tin, 1/20, 1/30, so I did, that solved the problem, and I have good bullets.
But I had to quit pouring because my mould, got real nasty brown crust inside nd out, and it was causing the mould not to close perfect. I have soaked in gasoline for 24 hours, scrubed it with brass brush not muck luck! The only thing I can think of was, I re melted the bad bullets, I melted the lube out of the grooves.
I would be very great full, if some one can tell me how to clean this mess up
This is a Lee 2 cavity mould 500gr

Thanks Greg

docone31
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I would get some brake cleaner, or carb cleaner, spray the dickens out of the mold. Let it soak in.
My technique is to then light the mold.
From that point, I crank up my pot and stick the mold on the melt untill the lead does not stick to the mold. I then cast.
I end up tossing the first few back, but, from that point, they come out goo.
That is a large casting. It is going to keep the mold hot.
It really sounds like you have lube browned onto the mold. I get that once in a while. Rather than lube, it is oil for me.
It will cook out.

mooman76
11-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I would try lamenting!

BUFFALOW RED
11-04-2008, 09:07 PM
i use brake clean on my lee mold

gcollins
11-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Guys, I am great full, i thought gasoline would remove anything, but I am wrong! I have some Carb cleaner, i will try that, and then if that doesn't work i will move to the next mentioned!
Thanks so much!
Greg

454PB
11-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm guessing the "nasty brown crust" was caused by lubing the mould. No matter how careful you are, that lube creeps into the cavities and causes the problems you're having. I quit lubing my Lee moulds years ago.

Brake cleaner and a stiff tooth brush should clean it up.

gcollins
11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I hand a can of carb cleaner, and i have worked on that mould of and on all day, and I still is not clean enough! It does close all the way now! Shouldn't leave any mould lines. And there won't be any lubeing the mould any more!
Thanks Guys!
Greg

cabezaverde
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Any tips on cleaning the lead off of the faces of aluminum Lee blocks?

John Boy
11-27-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=432456&postcount=7