PDA

View Full Version : you know what torques me off

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Shooters and casters who run to all the tire shops and radiator shops and pick up all the lead and tin they can then turn around and sell it!! Youd think if a shooter and caster got the crap for free and didnt want it anymore hed just pass it on to a fellow shooter. Theres no way id sell something to you that i got for free. I can see the price of shipping but give me a break. Ebays full of people selling and you cant tell me its hasnt sparked the interest in even none shooters to hunt it down to sell it. It gets to the point that chaseing wws is about like chaseing a good lookin women. Even when you find one you cant afford it!

jack19512
11-04-2008, 05:51 PM
"you know what torques me off "

Is the people that will have something lying around that you know they will never do anything with it and won't sell or trade it to somebody that can use it. You know, the kind of people that have so much money they want to show it off any way they can. :-x

jhrosier
11-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I would have to agree, Lloyd, but I would hope that a large amount of the lead and tin is being saved from recyclers who would simply ship it overseas.
I grab what I can and share with some of the local guys, but I don't sell, I will trade for either lead or brass when I need something.

Jack

montana_charlie
11-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I would hope that a large amount of the lead and tin is being saved from recyclers who would simply ship it overseas.
Are they shipping out the good lookin' women, TOO ?!?

JeffinNZ
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Thing is you can only sell something that another soul wants to buy so that makes the buyers as bad as the sellers in my eyes.

jhrosier
11-04-2008, 08:08 PM

No, but they are mostly young enough to land us in divorce court and jail.:holysheep

Just go and cast some boolits, then you won't notice geting all hot and bothered.:-P

Jack

leftiye
11-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Are they shipping out the good lookin' women, TOO ?!? CM

Only the nice ones. The nasty B word types won't sell anywhere but here! As Jeff said, you can only sell something that someone wants to buy.

Lloyd Smale
11-05-2008, 07:48 AM
They shipped them out of this area 25 years ago! Any straglers are gone by the age of 18

largom
11-05-2008, 08:32 AM

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, Never make a pretty woman your wife.

copdills
11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
I agree Mr Smale, but it happens all the time , but I feel lucky that I have been able to find a few pounds to cast with and have bought a few pounds from fellow casters :castmine:

ForneyRider
11-05-2008, 03:07 PM
If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, Never make a pretty woman your wife.

Vindictive, malignant and deceitful isn't particular on looks.

KCSO
11-05-2008, 05:03 PM
you know what torques me off

A large torque wrench?
Sorry

I have given lead to the needy but I have never sold lead that I got for free. Trouble is I haven't gotten any free lead for quite a while. There's folks who will make money off anything given the opportunity.

dukers65
11-05-2008, 06:07 PM
my wife use to sharpen knives with lorena bobbitt,and jeffrey dahmer was her partner in
biology class when they disected frogs.

smokemjoe
11-05-2008, 06:20 PM
I got lead from a place for a long time. Metal prices went up and now some junker picks it up everday. I have to get mine now from 100 miles away from a few shops and trade pop?? for the wts. Joe

ez4545
11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I finally gave up looking for free wheel weights a couple of years ago. They aren't to be found around here.

Bill

doghawg
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey Lloyd

I just picked up 120 lbs. of Linotype that came from your neck of the woods and the guy says his dad has more in his garage.....but I ain't tellin' EXACTLY where. [smilie=1: I won't be reselling it though........

JIMinPHX
11-05-2008, 08:52 PM
The going price of lead on ebay still seems to be around a buck a pound. Meanwhile, the spot price of lead is down to a third of what it was.

fallout4x4
11-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Just a heads up, I paid ten cents a pound at my local scrap yard.

Tom Herman
11-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi Lloyd,

I understand your frustration, but you also have to take into consideration the time involved in preparing something so it's salable.
Time is money. To expect someone you don't know to go to the trouble of finding, picking up, and processing wheel weights and scrap lead into ingots and then giving them to you is unreasonable.
Thank God I have a good job! I literally can't afford to let my labor after hours go for anything less than $50/hour.
These guys are investing their time and efforts, and are allowed to make a profit on their labors (at least for the time being. I'm sure BO will try his best to stop individual initiative).
Sure, there are some things I have to be mercenary on as well. But, like you, I look out for my friends almost to a fault.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Shooters and casters who run to all the tire shops and radiator shops and pick up all the lead and tin they can then turn around and sell it!! Youd think if a shooter and caster got the crap for free and didnt want it anymore hed just pass it on to a fellow shooter. Theres no way id sell something to you that i got for free. I can see the price of shipping but give me a break. Ebays full of people selling and you cant tell me its hasnt sparked the interest in even none shooters to hunt it down to sell it. It gets to the point that chaseing wws is about like chaseing a good lookin women. Even when you find one you cant afford it!

KCSO
11-06-2008, 10:25 AM
As long as we are on lead I stopped at the local welding shop last night and he handed me 10 pounds of bars marked Kester sn96. He said he fouund them in the trunk of a car they were scrapping and did I want them. Thank you very much!

dakotashooter2
11-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Of course if this is happening locally one could make the "suppliers" aware that the recipients are reselling it. The supplier may decide it has some value and start charging for it making it less apealing to the recipient. Or the cost to everyone could go up.