PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum gas checks vs copper or (gilding metal)

Shuz
09-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Do aluminum gas checks work as well as copper gas checks? Is one harder on bbl life than the other?

Jniedbalski
09-30-2019, 10:18 AM
I would like to know the answer also. I have tried both and to me it seems they work the same. But I haven’t tested for accuracy between the two. Just shot and never compared them side by side

Tom W.
09-30-2019, 11:12 AM
My check maker is for .45 caliber rifle or pistol, depending on the punch, and a doubled over Pepsi can makes great checks. I haven't found any difference between the copper or aluminum checks. I have found that I can use the aluminum checks in my .44 if I'm careful about centering the boolit when I lube and size them.

Dragonheart
09-30-2019, 04:51 PM
When I make checks I usually use aluminum. If the check in installed parallel, completely flat and won't come off I haven't found any difference. Since I powder coat the check is riding on the coating anyway, so no difference to the barrel.

Rich/WIS
10-04-2019, 11:19 PM
Never tested for accuracy but did notice that the aluminum checks tended to come off in flight, would find them scattered along the flight path, 5-10 per hundred rounds. Copper, either Hornady or Gator did not. If this is true of all aluminum checks I don't know, these were 30 cal in 06 and 30/40 AI. I only had 1K of them and decided to stick with copper. FWIW the Lyman copper checks also came off, might find one or two in a hundred rounds.

Valornor
10-05-2019, 01:21 AM
I have heard that Aluminum gas checks tend to fly off too, maybe a dab of adhesive would help them stay on? I’m interested in making them, so I have an excuse for my drinking habit...

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Dragonheart
10-05-2019, 09:44 AM
A good reason to think about powder coating.
I double coat rifle bullets to create a polymer jacket for the alloy. After the first coat I set the check, the second coat creates a bond so the check is there to stay and will be found with the bullet. This is a photo of a 7mm the first coat was blue and second coat was a clear.

762sultan
10-05-2019, 11:27 AM
That's a great idea to powder coat a bullet twice. I'm going to try that.

Retumbo
10-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Installed correctly my gas checks came off after going through 1/2" plywood.

https://i.imgur.com/NfMoZoM.jpg

Tripplebeards
10-06-2019, 09:11 AM
A good reason to think about powder coating.
I double coat rifle bullets to create a polymer jacket for the alloy. After the first coat I set the check, the second coat creates a bond so the check is there to stay and will be found with the bullet. This is a photo of a 7mm the first coat was blue and second coat was a clear.

I put two tumble coats on my boolits and I cracked my laminate top bench trying to size them in my lee sizing die. It took an act of god to size them. I had to hit the lever with my hand to pound them through. One coat not an issue. I bought an cheap lee press for a spare to mount to my metal bench out in the garage for future sizing tasks.