PDA

View Full Version : Powder containers

blackthorn
09-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Is there any downside to using clear or white plastic containers to store excess powder? I have been gifted several one pound containers of smokeless gunpowder. Several of the containers are in poor to really bad shape but the powder appears to be fine. I would like to transfer the contents of the damaged containers into something else but I am unsure of what might be appropriate.

smoked turkey
09-29-2019, 08:18 PM
blackthorn I seem to recall that the containers need to be opaque such that light cannot get to the powder since that can degrade it. I think that is why powder containers are usually in black. I save my old canisters when I empty one and re-purpose it. You might put out an inquiry on here and I'll say you might be able to come up with some if you don't have anything suitable. Would probably cost your some postage though.

RedlegEd
09-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Hi. I've noticed that powder containers are almost always opaque, so I'm wondering if there's a light sensitivity to powder (like with beer.) I'd say the white containers should be okay, but would probably not use the clear. Ed

high standard 40
09-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Some plastics can be damaged by smokeless powder. I don't know what kind of container to suggest except what the powder manufactures use.

cwlongshot
09-29-2019, 08:49 PM
The plastic gas cans use is safe. Not sure whatbthat is... but ill bet it has a number.

Maybe start there, or
Maybe the smallest gasoline container would work..

Cw

Walks
09-29-2019, 08:56 PM
I use the old metal Winchester 1lb( the big ones) cans to store my pistol powders. Such as TiteGroup and Clays. I tear off the old label, then cut the top and bottom of the 1lb plastic "cans" and slide them over the Win cans. Tape them on, and I'm jake.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-29-2019, 09:27 PM
Be sure to label them well !

While I re-use previously emptied smokeless powder containers for such a task, if I didn't have any available or know any other reloaders who are hoarders, LOL :-P
I would look for dark colored plastic "HDPE" containers that won't let in light.
Examples of such include:
Thoroughly degreased motor oil bottles.
Thoroughly washed and dry Bleach bottles...also hydrogen peroxide bottles.
If you don't have any of these lying around and you have a recycling center near you, any you don't mind dumpster diving...you might find a treasure trove of them there.

Lastly, you might be able to buy some light blocking HDPE containers at the dollar store...or a office supply store

Bazoo
09-29-2019, 10:16 PM
I've used plastic bags before when I bought from a store that was parting up a jug. Keep it in a cardboard box to keep the light off. Those are PETE I think.

I've also used a mayonnaise jar when I wanted to carry some powder with a lee loader kit. And I've used a water bottle for substitute black powder. Both are PETE.

Gas cans are generally HDPE, and HDPE is food and fuel safe. The symbol for HDPE is 2 in a triangle. All the factory powder containers I have are marked as such. Folgers and maxwell house plastic coffee cans are HDPE, so those should work well.

nvbirdman
09-29-2019, 11:07 PM
Right after WW11, Bruce Hodgdon bought tons of surplus powder and started selling it to reloaders. Believe it or not, some of that powder was actually sold in paper bags. I think two or three bags in each cardboard box, and keep the boxes separated would work.

dale2242
09-30-2019, 07:14 AM
I have empty powder containers that you can have for shipping.
Let me know which powders you need new cans for and I will send them to you....dale

bob208
09-30-2019, 08:04 AM
black powder comes in a plastic bag. that bag is in a cardboard box. keeps out moisture and light.

Rich/WIS
09-30-2019, 08:49 AM
I had to store powder when several of the old cardboard drums showed signs of water damage. Used zip lock bags inside the blue plastic jugs Maxwell House coffee comes in. Used the sealed bag as a liner as I did not trust the can seal to be air tight. Stored that way for years and was fine.

375supermag
09-30-2019, 08:56 AM
Hi...
I save the empty one pound powder bottles and when I open up a 4 or 8lb container I transfer a pound over to the 1lb container.
I have quite a few empty 1lb bottles of various powders like 2400, Unique, Blue Dot and Bullseye which are my most used powders.
Good idea to write the lot number on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the repurposed 1lb container.

3006guns
09-30-2019, 11:20 AM
I either use empty powder bottles, relabeled, or........

.......my wife saves empty Argo corn starch containers for me. They're yellow in color and prevent light from entering. On top of that, they each hold just over a pound of powder. I fill them from an 8lb. keg, then transfer them to my bench.

SSGOldfart
09-30-2019, 12:06 PM
I use black powder bottles when I have them empty,and Folger coffee plastic cans,they are red so it blocks light and they are HDPE #2,I have some in use that are over 10years old ,Mark them well with as sharpys marker.
You can find used containers on this site,but postage is going to take a bit out of your pocket. Good luck.

blackthorn
09-30-2019, 12:10 PM
dale2242---Thank you for the kind offer. I do have some empty cans, just not for the same powder. I will likely wind up repurposing some of them. Also shipping anything to do with powder from the US to Canada just might cause one or both of us to be hassled by the border people. So I will pass, with many thanks, on your offer.

blackthorn
09-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Thanks to all who replied and for the suggestions on what might work. I do have some empty cans, just not for the same powder. I will likely wind up repurposing some of them. I will look around for unmarked containers using the information you all have given. Thanks again.

Handloader109
09-30-2019, 12:56 PM
no issue at all as long as you mark them well. I'd make sure to label with good marker then a paper label also..... don't want to mix up my powder

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gwpercle
09-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Thanks to all who replied and for the suggestions on what might work. I do have some empty cans, just not for the same powder. I will likely wind up repurposing some of them. I will look around for unmarked containers using the information you all have given. Thanks again.
All of my factory plastic powder bottles are marked HDPE . Stick with bottles so marked , some other plastics are affected by the solvents . My first plastic bottle I filled with Ed's Red Bore Cleaner started to dissolve from the inside . Those marked HDPE will resist solvents .
There are also places online and maybe local that sell metal cans with screw on lids , these make good powder containers when properly labeled .

Or take the old powder containers you have , soak off the old labels and print a new label for the powder going in it .
Gary

knifemaker
09-30-2019, 02:09 PM
My father in law stored surplus Hodgdon powder that he bought in the 60's in empty yellow plastic anti freeze one gallon containers. I have 20 pounds of that powder and it is still good.

wv109323
09-30-2019, 02:53 PM
A word of caution about re-purposing powder containers.
I buy Bullseye powder in 8 lb. Jugs. I pour out a lb. or so into a one pound jug and use out of that container. With extended use the seal in the lid will be cut and separate. This happens when the seal is mashed between the lid and jug. This seal was foam and not paper.
A sliver of the seal got into the powder. This sliver was large enough to block the powder measure on my Star reloader. The first time I thought it was the powder bridged and shut off the powder supply. I poured the powder through a powder funnel to see if I could see any lumps of powder. No lumps so I thought I was good to go. It happened a second time. This time I poured the powder through a fine sieve and found the part of the seal in the powder.
I had to pull several hundred bullets to correct the problem.
Also finding the problem caused some gray hair. I have loaded 30+ years on the Star without a problem. It was difficult to analyse when what you have been doing 30 years goes bad.

samari46
10-02-2019, 10:45 PM
I only use the plastic powder containers for storage of powders that I either only use frequently or have only a pound or so left. My last container of IMR 4350 was one of the metallic ones and after so many years didn't trust the seal on the lid. gave the metal one to a friend who collects them. Frank

lead-1
10-02-2019, 11:02 PM
I have WC-846 that is in what appears to be one gallon bleach jug, the jugs that size will hold 8 pounds of powder.

GONRA
10-05-2019, 07:08 PM
GONRA suggests wide mouth peanut butter jugs (believe its a good plastic? You'll have to check! I know they hold gasoline Just Fine!)
Metal 2 cycle gas jugs with screw on tops should be GREAT!

Thin Man
10-06-2019, 06:52 AM
I have had good luck with anti-freeze bottles. Clean the bottle thoroughly and make sure it is completely dry. Wrap 2-3 layers of masking tape around the bottle and brand both sides of it with the powder ID. These bottles stack nicely on a shelf and after 20+ years of storing powder in them I have never had an incident of powder going bad in them.

MT Gianni
10-07-2019, 08:16 PM
During the shortage of 93 a friend bought a 33 lb keg of powder. I bought 4 lbs off of him that he gave me in a 2 liter pop bottle. i kept it out of the light and in a constant temperature and it shot without any chronographed variations for a decade. H4831.

Geezer in NH
10-08-2019, 09:49 AM
I use cans from here

https://www.houseofcans.com/metal-containers/screw-cap-cans/oblong-cans?houseofcans=39v104r0te1j13r717mj37b9k5

I like the 1 pint and use the metal seal available for them. I spray the outside of them with paint first and then fill and seal. Just like the old time powder cans!

Screwbolts
10-09-2019, 08:35 AM
The very first pound of powder I bought was a pound Hodgdon 4831, that was sold in a paper coffee bag. I wish I had kept that coffee sack.

Ken

30calflash
10-09-2019, 08:55 AM
I used a smaller hydrogen peroxide bottle, relabeled, for some Titegroup powder I got from a bunch of puled down pistol ammo. Dark brown color.

blackthorn
10-09-2019, 02:05 PM
I continue to follow this thread and, again, thank all for the comments and suggestions. Leaving Friday and I will be away for a week or three hunting with my sons so will check again when I get back.

McFred
10-09-2019, 10:06 PM
I rarely can stomach buying just a pound of powder at the local gun store's $35/pound rate, so I've been using HDPE containers that contained "Country Time Lemonade" and related off-brand sugary drinks. They usually hold more than a pound of powder unless you're talking flake/shotgun powders.

The container mouth is a couple inches in diameter and somewhat flexible. There is no gasket or seal that can separate.

They've been in production for at least 15 years without any changes to the packaging, so any time I pick up a new powder there's another container a few beverages away...

https://i.postimg.cc/Kv0ZpcjT/HDPE-Container.jpg

I don't care that they're not opaque, I don't leave them in the sun or where the lights are on all the time. I usually use sharpie felt tip markers to label them. A little acetone and the marker can be removed and re-labeled. HDPE is virtually solvent-proof in my experience.

Winger Ed.
10-09-2019, 11:20 PM
If you're concerned about your containers being exposed to light, Just store them in a dark place.

I've put bulk powder for the .50BMG in a vacuum type freezer bag, then in a cardboard box I keep in the garage refrigerator.
3-4 years later, it seems fine.

alamogunr
10-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Several years ago, before his untimely passing, Junior Doughty posted an article where he mentioned re-purposing small pint milk bottles to hold smaller amounts of powder. He spray painted the milk bottles black. I use empty Ensure bottles for the same purpose. They are somewhat smaller than a pint but work for me. It does take a while to get the smell of Ensure out.

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/wc820.htm