PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know What

jimkim
09-28-2019, 11:32 AM
I saw this on a FB group. The fellow is in Italy. He was asked what is that block on the Autodisk. He said, It is just a device to make the measure more accurate. I asked him if it worked like a drop tube, or if it vibrated. He hasn't answered. Now, I may have to build a spacer plate that works like a short drop tube, and vibrates. Why did I not think of this before? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190928/6ece39d2133442599646c2787a36c87f.jpg

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Daveco
09-28-2019, 04:19 PM
Interesting! Hopefully he'll get back to you with some more info. I thought that there was a lot to like about the Lee disc measure but have stopped using mine. I always meant to experiment with a vibrator to settle the powder better, but never got around to it. Please keep us posted if you hear back from him!

kevin c
10-01-2019, 01:28 PM
I have no idea what he's got mounted there, but I can at least tell you what I use when loading flake powders that don't meter well: a small aquarium aerator pump. The small version I picked up at Walmart, strapped to the side of the powder reservoir, vibrates the whole measure enough to prevent bridging, but isn't noisy.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Looks a lot like an RCBS die box.

Walter Laich
10-01-2019, 06:00 PM
I have no idea what he's got mounted there, but I can at least tell you what I use when loading flake powders that don't meter well: a small aquarium aerator pump. The small version I picked up at Walmart, strapped to the side of the powder reservoir, vibrates the whole measure enough to prevent bridging, but isn't noisy.

did the same thing on my Dillon measure. Since it's so quiet and I'll lost hearing I have it hooked into the lights. When I turn them off as I'm going out I know the pump is off

44magLeo
10-02-2019, 03:36 PM
I thought the way the measure moves as the cases operates the measure was enough vibration to prevent bridging as well as keep the powder settled in the hopper.
Is this not true?
I can see why the block will improve things a bit. The longer the drop between the hopper and measuring chamber helps fill the chamber more completely.
Same as using a long drop tube when your powder charge fills the case. The longer drop packs the powder in the case more so the bullet seats better.
Leo

jimkim
10-05-2019, 11:47 PM
Interesting! Hopefully he'll get back to you with some more info. I thought that there was a lot to like about the Lee disc measure but have stopped using mine. I always meant to experiment with a vibrator to settle the powder better, but never got around to it. Please keep us posted if you hear back from him!I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. It is a plate(phenolic spacer comes to mind) with a hole through it. It acts kinda like a drop tube. He says it improves the accuracy of the measure. I still think a plate like this with a place to put a lipstick vibrator would be just the thing to use.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Daveco
10-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Thanks for remembering jimkim! I'm thinking that this calls for some more experimentation. Like you, I'm thinking that using both an extra riser and some sort of vibrating attachment sounds like an even better idea.