PDA

View Full Version : Remington 788 bolt

Wild Bill 7
09-25-2019, 07:29 PM
I need to take the bolt apart on my 788. I watched a video about taking the bolt apart and I would like to know from you all that have the knowledge on such things. The Kleindorst bolt disassembly tool (midway part number 492351) and firing pin removal tool (midway part number 521936). Remington has the bolt disassembly tool but it is out of stock. Any help would be appreciated to the utmost. I think the bolt has never been apart and now the firing pin won't strike the primer. Thanks for any help again.
Bill

StuBach
09-25-2019, 07:38 PM
It’s been a long while since I pulled mine apart but I don’t seem to recall needing any special tools for pulling it apart.

porthos
09-25-2019, 07:42 PM
i have a 788 that i bought around 1990. had the bolt apart a long time ago. didn't know that there was a tool for doing it. just be careful

too many things
09-25-2019, 08:31 PM
To clean you don't need tool. to replace firing pin yes, but that is not for a novice so don't try that. if the pin is broke send to remingtion

James Wisner
09-25-2019, 11:55 PM
What caliber ?? the 44 mag and 30-30 have a rotating bolt head, while all the others have fixed bolt head.

To remove the rear plug and firing pin assemble, insert the bolt in the rifle and with a 1/16" punch insert the punch in the hole in the bolt plug on the Left side of a right hand rifle.
Once you open the bolt the punch will capitivate the firing pin and the entire bolt plug, firing pin unit can be unscrewed from the rear.

NOTE, right hands rifle have right hand threads and the left hand rifles have LEFT hand threads

That is as far as you need to take the bolt plug firing pin assembly down, trust me
If you are needing a firing pin replacement or a mainspring replaced, drop me a PM as I have the spare parts and have done many many of them

While you are cleaning also look at the inside of the trigger unit, as they get gunked up with old dried oil,
Be very careful punching out the trigger cross pin, and make sure the tension screw has been backed off before removing the cross pin.

J Wisner

buckdeer
09-26-2019, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=too many things;4733866]To clean you don't need tool. to replace firing pin yes, but that is not for a novice so don't try that. if the pin is broke send to remingtion[/QUOTE

I have heard if you send a 788 back to Remington for repair they will not return it. Instead they give u a coupon off a 700. Might want to call first and ask

StuBach
09-26-2019, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=too many things;4733866]
I have heard if you send a 788 back to Remington for repair they will not return it. Instead they give u a coupon off a 700. Might want to call first and ask

Now that caught my eye, if anyone can confirm this that would be good info to have.

30calflash
09-26-2019, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=too many things;4733866]To clean you don't need tool. to replace firing pin yes, but that is not for a novice so don't try that. if the pin is broke send to remingtion[/QUOTE

Most likely the case. The 788 hasn't been made in almost 40 years, they won't let a bad one get out of their hands if a safety issue with parts that are not available.

flounderman
09-26-2019, 11:47 AM
cleaning and some solvent might solve the problem. Probably some rust inside the bolt. some Kroil or other good penetrating oil would be my first attempt.

GBertolet
09-26-2019, 12:08 PM
I have a 788 also, along with the Remington service manual. Basic disassembly of the bolt looks pretty easy. Looks like just a pin is needed to go through the bolt shroud, for basic disassembly. This will allow you to at least inspect the firing pin and spring. Removal of the spring is more detailed, but doable. Might be copyright issues with posting the manual here, but if you wish, PM me, with your email address, and I can copy and send you, the appropriate pages of the manual.

StuBach
09-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Not to overstep previous poster but for those in need, I also have a pdf of the manual I found years ago. Send me a PM with your email and I’ll send your way.

Old School Big Bore
09-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Yep ditto on the 'they'll keep it'. They dropped it over a 'defective safety' issue to start with. They probably wish they could crush them all.

StuBach
09-26-2019, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=buckdeer;4734045]

Most likely the case. The 788 hasn't been made in almost 40 years, they won't let a bad one get out of their hands if a safety issue with parts that are not available.

I’ve heard of HK doing something similar where they will not return products unless they restore to factory original at your expense (even professional trigger jobs have to be reset). I would question the legality of that given that they are refusing to return your legally owned property. I don’t doubt it’s how they do it, just question why they are allowed to not return your property. If they can’t fix then return with disclaimer and let the owner deal with ramifications.

Texas by God
09-26-2019, 07:19 PM
If Remington would give me two model 700s for a 788, I might consider it. Maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

StuBach
09-26-2019, 08:08 PM
If Remington would give me two model 700s for a 788, I might consider it. Maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Given what I’ve heard on recent 700 quality you might be losing on that deal...

Note to self: never send 788 anywhere for work, love mine (223 Rem) too much

Wild Bill 7
09-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will try what James suggested before anything else. My 788 is a 223 also. It is also a tack driver.

too many things
09-27-2019, 06:56 PM
I am sorry the way I posted. I said NO special tools . that was miss leading need 1/16 drill to take the bolt apart to clean. anything other should not be done by a owner
James W is best to send to , be best in long run if it needs some TLC
sorry

Wild Bill 7
06-03-2020, 10:42 PM
Ended up buying a new trigger assembly and installed it. Works great. Got the bolt fixed also and with everyone's help it turned out to be easier than expected. I want to thank everyone for their help.
Wild Bill 7