PDA

View Full Version : ring on boolits

Celto
09-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Hi all loading my first 50-70 ie straight walled cases....... for 50-70 conversion carbine.... i slugged the bore and came out with .5075 so went with starline brass and lyman dies and lyman .512 mold ,060 wad and 65gr goex fff iexpanded the neck to accept boolit as first one shaved off lead....now im getting a quite deep ring when seating the boolit i removed the seater and the edges are very sharp almost knife like and it doesnt fit this slug well should i run the expander lower modify the seater or shoot and fire form and finger seat thanks all

mdi
09-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Most of the time a ring on a bullet is from a seating stem. Did you size your bullets? Is the .5075" the groove diameter or the bore diameter? If the bullets are .005" over groove diameter, they may also be a bit too large for the cases, even if flared.

The ring probably wont hurt anything as far as functioning or accuracy, just doesn't look good. You could remove the stem and round off the edges with some emery cloth/paper to reduce the ring, or use epoxy to form a bettering bullet/stem seat. I have smoothed seating stems on occasion. I just took some medium course emery cloth, and pushed it against the stem cavity with my finger (soft finger/cloth pushes into the cavity) and twist until all sharp edged are rounded off...

country gent
09-25-2019, 03:56 PM
You can modify the seater to a perfect match to the bullet.
Materials you will need are masking tape, JB weld epoxy, and paste wax

1) cut a length of tape long enough to make 4-5 wraps around seater.
2) cut a second piece long enough to make 1+ wrap around seater and stick on end of long length sticky sides together.
3) Wrap this snuggly around seater forming a tube
4) slide forward and coat tape with 2 coats of wax
5) coat bullet with 2 coats of wax also.
6) mix epoxy as per instructions and make sure its well mixed.
7) dribble enough into tube and seater stem to reform the nose section
8) slide bullet into tube and press into epoxy with a gentle twisting motion. Clamp in place and let cure. a small c clamp vise or rubber bands work.
9) when cured remove tape and bullet clean up epoxy with a file around outside of seater stem and square end back up.
10) if you want a little toothpaste on a bullet and polish the inside of the seater with the bullets nose.
11) Last is to just break the sharp edge in the seater.

Bazoo
09-25-2019, 04:26 PM
If it's just the seat plug's inside edge cutting the bullet, first thing I'd try is removing that sharp edge. Chuck the plug in a drill and sand the inside edge with some 100 grit and finish with 400/600. It might not fit perfect, but it likely will work acceptably.

Celto
09-25-2019, 04:32 PM
Thanks all and that 5075 was a bore diameter i have a 6 groove barrel

Celto
09-25-2019, 06:45 PM
hi all heres what i tried as this is a blunt nose boolit i used my expander and very lightly pressed down felt it go a grease grove at a time quite easily !!! checked length and it measured 2.60 we used to load our match rounds a bit long to prevent jump is this too long?comments

Wayne Smith
09-26-2019, 07:59 AM
"too long" depends on your rifle's throat. If you can chamber them it's not too long, and seating depth is one variable with which to experiment. Change one thing at a time.

Celto
09-27-2019, 09:04 AM
Hi all heres what i have run into i got this carbine a long time ago and had always thought someone had reamed out the chamber for a 28 gauge shotshell or something i had a gunsmith look at it one familiar with these and was told the chamber lining was missing from the conversion so a new liner was made to fit starline brass which would not fit until i full sized it after slugging the bore i decided to use .512 diameter casts however to start them i needed to expand the cases to get them to seat now they dont chamber well or stick...poked around some for a .510 mold but didnt find one any thoughts thanks