PDA

View Full Version : Yote Management With AR Platform, Fav Barrel Length And Caliber?

DougGuy
09-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Thinking of assembling an AR for managing yotes on a local farm, probably use PSA stuff whatever they have on sale. Haven't seen the farm yet, it's small at 6 acres so won't have any 350yd shots, I imagine 150-200 might be the most distance.

What would you choose for caliber and barrel length? It doesn't have to be MOA, it can be a pistol length 10.5" with a can and get the job done.

My first thoughts are to use the one I already have in 300 AAC, and shoot 150gr supersonic, saving my 220gr subs for a different type of adversary..

Once we figure it out, might assist the land owner in assembling her own AR I don't think she has one. Yet.

cattleskinner
09-24-2019, 09:38 AM
If it were me, and it isn't going to be a all the time rifle, I would just pick up a bag of 110 or 125 gr. bullets and load them for a slightly extended range.

Buzz Krumhunger
09-24-2019, 09:52 AM
I’d probably look at Palmetto State Armory’s “Daily Deals” and find a 16” upper in .223 that called out to me, and use it on the lower I already have. Although they do have some bodacious deals on lowers as well.

I haven’t lost a ‘yote I’ve shot with the .223

dk17hmr
09-24-2019, 10:12 AM
I have a 40 S&W ar with a 10.5" Faxon on it that is pretty impressive out to 150 yards. No reason a supersonic 300blk wouldn't work well though.

white eagle
09-24-2019, 10:24 AM
for me and the same application its a
224 Valkyrie with a 18" JP barrel
it will handle all ranges I care to shoot plus I can shoot heavier
22 cal bullets for a higher bc
while shooting next to my son with his
16"barreled 223 I find the extra 2" to be not as loud
not that that makes a difference while hunting

Texas by God
09-24-2019, 12:13 PM
5.56/.223 with 16" handy barrel and 55gr sp will do nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

John McCorkle
09-24-2019, 12:46 PM
At your ranges, you'd be fine with nearly any caliber you choose. If you shoot 300 blk (which I highly highly recommend...more on that later) be sure and use supersonic to keep your margin of error on range estimation easier....556 shoots flatter but 300 blk carries the pain. If you want to use 300 blk subsonic... absolutely doable even to the distance you think is farthest but range estimation becomes an issue and off by just a few yards and you'll shoot high/low.

I say 300 blk is the most versatile...I have killed a pile of deer with it... fantastic whitetail round. Easy to reload for....easy to cast for...the most versatile caliber out there for the AR platform hands down. It's no hot rod, it's no slouch. It is like the Ford f150 pickup truck....just good at pretty much anything except for Indy 500 and car shows.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

ikarus1
09-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Combat Armory has an 18" 224 Valkyrie Valkyrie freefloat rifle length gas upper for under $200 with code TAKE15

Get you a good toolcraft BCG and you're set.

Everything I've gotten from CA has been on par or better than PSA stuff

osteodoc08
09-24-2019, 02:47 PM
If you have 300 BLK already and don’t care to keep hides, get some 110gr Vmax or Varmageddons. Load with 296 and hit them out to 200 with ease. I hit a 6” plate at 50, 100, 200 with ease with my 16” BLK.

Otherwise any 223 with normal barrel and 50-55gr class varmint bullets

dverna
09-24-2019, 05:29 PM
5.56/.223 with 16" handy barrel and 55gr sp will do nicely.

Agree. KISS.

Less chance of a ricochet and good to 250 yards+

Ammunition is cheap if your friend does not reload. Brass is cheap so policing brass is unnecessary if you must take multiple shots at a running coyote.

popper
09-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Vmax,sst, cast 125-150 gr. is plenty. Friend hit yote with 223 but ran off. Maybe dead?

M-Tecs
09-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Especially with the limited acreage I would select something that has almost zero chance for a ricochet. In a .223 that would be a 40 to 55 grain V-Max or Ballistic Tip in a 9 twist barrel. Since yotes tend to be a pack animal fast second or more shots may be required. In the .223 barrels shorter than 20" get a lot louder if that is an issue. My primary yote/prairie dog AR has a 28" barrel but my secondary yote rifle is a 16" with carbine butt stock. In ND rifles are not required to be cased and are considered to be unloaded as long as the chamber is empty. It makes a outstanding truck gun for yotes.

For a 100% yote rifle for all distances it's tough to beat the 204 Ruger. I will be setting one of those up for myself this winter.

Years ago I spotted 6 yotes chasing a medium sized Whitetail Buck in deep snow. I was shooting a bolt gun that held 6 rounds. I killed 5 of the 6. That is not common but running shots at running yotes with multiple targets is fairly common.

If saving hides is goal some to the less explosive 55 to 62 grain bullets may be a better option. If the exit the V-Max and BT's make big holes.

If you use your 300 AAC I use 125 bullets.

missionary5155
09-24-2019, 07:19 PM
Good evening
We bought a 24 inch free floated upper flattop for a scope 1/8 twist 10 years back and have had a lot of fun with 55-65 grain soft point slugs from whoever has them on sale. Have a 4-12 power scope on it.
Sitting behind cross sticks it is a very stable rig.
Mike in LLama Land

WebMonkey
09-24-2019, 07:34 PM
Hey DougGuy,

Another vote for 55gn soft pointed .223.

I use them in a handi rifle at the ranges you specify.
Steel cased cheapies have put them down quick so far.

pmer
09-24-2019, 07:47 PM
I would go with the 300 blackout and the 125 grain bullets. If you want you could spend the money on a day night scope or thermal just my humble opinion.
I had a new ATN day night scope for a 20 caliber AR but I sent it back because it would lock up, it sure was nice though or the idea of it anyways. It was big and heavy but the screen would lock up.

Rick Hodges
09-24-2019, 08:05 PM
I have used a bolt action .223Rem with 55gr. Sierra HPBT's at about 3100 fps. for coyote for some years. My buddy uses his .223 Colt HBar with Black Hills 55gr. sp's. They are death on coyotes to 350 yds. and not overly hard on pelts if you are saving them. There is no need for heavy bullets nor uber fast twist barrels.
To hear some folks talk they think coyotes are bullet proof. They are just 25-55lb. dogs and a 22cal. centerfire rifle slug in the boiler room kills them just fine.

Texas by God
09-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Plus one on the ricochet concerns; especially on 6 acre farms. I would even go with .17 Rem or .204 Ruger before the BO. And I love the BO. Popper- a friend hit a deer with a .308; it ran off and we never found it. No ones going to say the .308 is not a deer gun. Your friend hit that coyote poorly at best or used the wrong bullet. I’m no champion of the .223 but it works.(22-250 for me, if you please) and if the OP builds one for the landowner; 5.56 will do for game up to deer at 6 acre ranges.

M-Tecs
09-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Rick you're 100 correct. Back in the early 70's pelt hunting was very profitable. I started actively yote hunting at 12 years old with a 30-06 off my 1971 Ski-Doo Olympique 335. It was hard on the pelts. I much preferred to run them with the sled and take them with Dad's High Standard H-D Military 22 pistol. In two years I made enough to purchase a Browning Sako L579 in 243. That rifle killed a lot of yotes but I ever did find a bullet I was totally happy with. I would lose too many using FMJ's or with most other bullets pelt damage was costing me money. With the proper bullet yotes are easy to kill with a proper hit. Wish I had a 17 HMR with 20 grain bullets back than.

The bullet proof yotes seem to be making a come back not because of yotes got tougher but people using bullets that act as FMJ's primarily out of 7 twist AR's. Since the 224 Valkyrie has came on the scene lots of folks are losing a lot of yotes due to lack of expansion of the 77 and 88 grain bullet the 224 Valkyrie crowd tends to want to use. Once they switch to the 55 to 62 grain bullets their loss issues tend to go away.

9.3X62AL
09-25-2019, 01:53 AM
I built a bench rifle AR-15 for song dogs and field diggers a few years ago. 24" truck-axle barrel, 1-8" twist, 12x Leup up top. 55 grain BalTips @ 3300 FPS, for the win on coyotes. I have used all manner of rifles and handguns on coyotes, from 22 LR in a Colt OMM x 6" (head shot) to 45/70 rifle, and many stops between those 2 extremes. I fur-hunted to supplement my meager income in college and after I went to work at the SD and for about 12 years after that, until the fur market collapsed with the "Fur Is Dead" fauna fascists' pining and moaning.

That market seems to be returning of late, but I won't be competing in it. I am more than happy to send them to The Great HowlFest Beyond just on general principles these days. They kill a lot of the birds and animals I like to hunt, so as long as it remains legal to do so I will let drive on every one of them I can get a safe shot at. Love their music--don't like their voracious depredations. They are in no danger of having their numbers depleted, to be sure.

Ramjet-SS
09-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Yup .223 5.56 with 55 grain BT are fantastic like the hammer of Thor I like a heavy barrel 16” with tight pins and high quality bolt. Makes for great prairie dog gun too. Run two let one cool between sets.

popper
09-25-2019, 11:40 AM
OP said the farm is 6 ACRES! Buildings on property? 200yd square! Roads? 100 - 150 is a different scenerio. So you use a 223 and shoot over the property line OK? Ricochet is NOT what I'd worry about but shooting another's property or animals. Or if you got free range chickens or something. Plenty of AAC ammo available now, 125& 150 gr. about 1800 fps. BO should be good but short barrel pistol is harder to shoot without a brace ( I like the 10" pistol), I figure 50 yds max. Can & SBR is a long wait and $$. 3x RD sight on either BO carbine or good PCC 9mm work better (& would be good for hogs too)? Or a simple 22lr/177 autoloader rifle with 3x scope & stingers. Yotes typically aren't aggressive, any hits on a PEST may keep them away even if not a kill.
Other statement. Ever see a yote standing still? Big nasty dog that is running or trotting. Even a farm dog doesn't stay still unless 'resting'. 2 shots at most for a hit. Yes, 223 can get them but remember, shoulder shot on any dog is iffy as they have a very muscular neck and chest. Gut shot and they just run off. Yes, no doubt 223 will do the job if you get a good shot.
BO would also be legal for deer sized animals.
edit:IIRC Tx restricts shooting to land > 10 acres.

one-eyed fat man
09-25-2019, 12:15 PM
...The bullet proof yotes seem to be making a come back not because of yotes got tougher but people using bullets that act as FMJ's primarily out of 7 twist AR's. Since the 224 Valkyrie has came on the scene lots of folks are losing a lot of yotes due to lack of expansion of the 77 and 80 grain bullet the 224 Valkyrie crowd tends to want to use. Once they switch to the 55 to 62 grain bullets their loss issues tend to go away.

Funny you should mention fast twist AR's, M193 ball out of a 20 inch M16A1 1 in 12 twist barrel still kills them as handily as it did 40 years ago.

Larry Gibson
09-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Funny you should mention fast twist AR's, M193 ball out of a 20 inch M16A1 1 in 12 twist barrel still kills them as handily as it did 40 years ago.

That's what I use also. Like to keep it simple. If not M193 then Speer 52 gr HP over 26.5 H335 does the trick.

M-Tecs
09-25-2019, 03:54 PM

I have never shot a coyote with M193 out of slow 12 twist so no comment just questions. Do they punch straight through or do they tumble?

I have shot them with various calibers with various FMJ's. Killing them has never been a problem but recovering them has if the FMJ's just punched through. I have double lunged them with a 243 using FMJ's and watched them go 200 or 300 hundred yards before piling up. In the open that usually not a problem in heavy cover that may be lost dollars. In the 70's and 80's when pelt prices were high I tried lots of combinations and I ultimately gave up on FMJ's.

Primarily due to China demand the pelt price for prime western coyotes is around $125 at the Canadian auction. This has brought a resurgence of pelt hunting for profit. I have friends in ND that are shooting and trapping 300 to 400 yotes a season. Most of the shooting is done at night with night vision scopes. As always it's a balance between pelt damage and an unacceptable loss rate. The 224 Valkyrie heavy bullets haven't work well for them. The 60 grain factory puts them down but pelt damage can be an issue. This is just second hand info but the .204 Ruger seems to be working very well for pelt hunting yotes. If not selling the pelts most anything works.

white eagle
09-25-2019, 05:31 PM
just aint possible not to get pelt damage with any gun period
bullets make holes the only way around it is a trap

one-eyed fat man
09-25-2019, 08:20 PM
I have never shot a coyote with M193 out of slow 12 twist so no comment just questions. Do they punch straight through or do they tumble?

They tended to tumble and generally fracture at the cannelure. Hitting bone sometimes caused a fair amount of pelt damage, but I was not as much interested in hides. They are not easy skin quickly and still have a nice hide. Leastwise, I never got the knack. For pest control, it was good ammo and GI issue was easy to come by.

Tripplebeards
09-25-2019, 08:57 PM
I put together a 243 AR10 for $650 between a complete upper and complete lower that’s even cheaper to put together right now. It shoots sub MOA with nosler 55 grain ballistic tips loaded a hair over 4000 FPS. Here the link with groups. My upper is a AR stoner I paid $450 for which is a rebranded bear creek Arsenal upper that you can buy direct from Bear Creek for $329. The lower i used is a complete Aero precision lower you can pick up for $249.00 direct. There is absolutely nothing in an AR configuration that will shoot faster or flatter...other than a 17 Remington which I’ve had and passed on. The link below shows the first group testings at 100 yards with it. I had six different loads that shot sub MOA. Haven’t tried them on a yote yet but can tell you the same in 70 grainers at 3650 FPS out of my VLS will literally cut a coyote in half of bone is hit. 90 grainers aren’t much better. If no bone is hit on the way in or out, including ribs, expect a bullet sized entry and exit hole...which is rare. I don’t save pelts ant more and like to see yotes slam to the ground like they’ve been hit with Thor’s hammer...and that’s what the 243 dose to them.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=341957&Number=3209599#Post3209599

I own a 5.56, POF P415 14.5” barrel that is responsible for the 100 yard group in my avatar and shoots .3” at 200 yards consistently with 25 grains of benchmark and a 60 grain Vmax. I can’t tell where the bullet ever enters with this load but if it exits it leaves anywhere from a bullet sized to a fifty cent sized exit hole. Every yote I connected accept for one (my fault, I hit it high across it back and skinned it) DRT’d...dead right there...slammed to the ground and never moved. All were harvested under 200 yards.

I also loaded up some 40 grain nosler ballistic tips for my Remington LTR 223. It chronies right around 3800 FPS with my fast twist. I can shoot .3” groups with it at 200 yards with the load as well. I haven’t tried them on yotes yet but it shoots like a laser past 250 yards. I’ve seen dozens apron dozens of yotes piled up on photos over on predator masters forums by a few shooters who swear that little light bullet out of a 223/5.56 drops them like lightning.

To be honest I take my shotgun solo when calling 99.9% of the time loaded with 12 gauge, 3”, 1 7/8oz lead BB’s. I dropped yotes in their tracks out to 65 plus yards with it. Two years ago I shot at yote with Remington HD BB’s at 106 yards! Broke both it’s rear legs and paralyzed it from the middle of its back down. Needless to say my partner had to finish it off with his AR10 308.

M-Tecs
09-25-2019, 09:55 PM
They are not easy skin quickly and still have a nice hide. Leastwise, I never got the knack.

I have friends that have the knack but they skin several hundred per year. I don't do enough to stay proficient but when selling properly skinning verse carcass can be the difference between $15 or $125. I cheat and use compressed air. I use a needle on my air nozzle but this video gives you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=268&v=akJ01FhlnC8

I have native friends that love M193 Ball in 12 twists for Caribou, Elk and Moose. Two or three quick shots to the lungs does the trick for them.

one-eyed fat man
09-26-2019, 01:10 AM
I have friends that have the knack but they skin several hundred per year. I don't do enough to stay proficient but when selling properly skinning verse carcass can be the difference between $15 or $125. I cheat and use compressed air. I use a needle on my air nozzle but this video gives you an idea.

That air skinning business is all new to me. First I have heard of the technique. Looks like something I wish I had known about years ago.

M-Tecs
09-26-2019, 01:24 AM
I also loaded up some 40 grain nosler ballistic tips for my Remington LTR 223. It chronies right around 3800 FPS with my fast twist. I can shoot .3” groups with it at 200 yards with the load as well. I haven’t tried them on yotes yet but it shoots like a laser past 250 yards. I’ve seen dozens apron dozens of yotes piled up on photos over on predator masters forums by a few shooters who swear that little light bullet out of a 223/5.56 drops them like lightning.

My favorite prairie dog load is a Hexagonal Boron Nitride (HBN) coated 40 gain V-Max or Ballistic Tip over 28 grains of H335. I have only shot about a couple dozen coyotes with this load I remember only one or two exit holes. Normally I use a 28" 9 twist Krieger on an AR. Those little bullets are way over spun but easily hold 3/8 MOA at 200 yards on demand. I've shot a bunch of 1/4 MOA groups with them in the Krieger barreled AR but I can not do it on demand.

If calling yotes that is my preferred load since I don't call when its windy and multiple targets are common. The speed helps for lead on running shots. On a side note I set a buddy up with a Krieger 12 twist in a 24" barrel. I have 4" more barrel and a 9 twist. On prairie dogs you can see a difference. Both are explosive but mine is more explosive.

When road hunting I switch to 55 grain V-Max or BT's with CFE223 since they buck the wind better. With these I normally get an exit hole.

M-Tecs
09-26-2019, 01:34 AM
That air skinning business is all new to me. First I have heard of the technique. Looks like something I wish I had known about years ago.

Me too. Most of the coyotes I killed where between the early 70's to mid 80's. A friend of a friend showed be air skinning in the mid 80's. Since the mid 80's I normally only shoot 2 to 4 per year but last year with the fur price I killed 11 and sold 9. Two had the mange so bad I left them lay.

I plan on building and using a .204 Ruger this year.

Greg S
09-26-2019, 04:47 AM
That small of an area I would be concerned with overpenatration and richochet. For 223 I'd go with 40z-50, 20 or 17 HMR. As stated repeatably, shot placement is King as anything will put a doggie down.

pmer
09-26-2019, 08:12 AM
Is Doug going to hunt over bait maybe that way the bullets can be controlled as to where they end up.

What people using for optics? I'm thinking about saving up for a thermal scope. Can't go high end though.

Tripplebeards
09-26-2019, 08:21 AM
I’ve read 40 grain vmax pushed to the max in 223/5.56 stay inside of yotes 99.9% of the time but also have read that the 40 grain nosler ballistic tips anchor them better...and also stay inside of them most the time....all reading of course. I’ve only shot them with heavier bullets but have some 40 grain nosler sks loaded up to try. I had the 60 grain vmax not exit a few in my LTR when shooting them straight on aiming in the chest or between the eyes at distances at approximately 125 yards. The 60 grainers I have loaded up at 2850 FPS out of my POF and 2975 FPS out of my LTR. I was told the the 2850/2900 FPS was the magic velocity for saving pelts using a 60 grain vmax. I can tell you it works for me. All tipped right over where they stood or sat when shot. The hornady vmax do not have a sealed copper bottom like the noslers do so they are more fragile and have a better chance of not exiting when pushed at higher speeds. I have found that I get tighter groups with the noslers in most cases with less load development for some reason. I really have to put my time in with ALOT of load tests to find one that shoots tight with a vmax...and settle on it as they never seem to cloverleaf like a good nosler load dose for me.

Larry Gibson
09-26-2019, 10:22 AM
Doug

Here's what's really needed these days to fit in with the local AR zombie apocalypse "blasters"...........

But I keep it simple so I'm not with the AR "in crowd".......LMT Lower, 20" milspec 12" twist 5.56 M16A1 barrel, Milspec Eotech milspec sight co-axial with iron sights. Ammo for "vermin or varmints" is as previously mentioned.

M-Tecs
09-26-2019, 03:57 PM
I have found that I get tighter groups with the noslers in most cases with less load development fro some reason. I really have to put my time in with ALOT of load tests to find one that shoots tight with a vmax...and settle on it as they never seem to cloverleaf like a good nosler load dose for me.

No comment on the other bullet weights but I have tested the 40 grain Nosler BT verse the 40 grain Hornady V-Max verse the 40 grain Hornady Z-Max (no longer made, shame way cheaper in 500 round boxes) for accuracy I and I have found no difference. Powder has been H335 at 27.5 for bare bullets and 28 for coated (haven't found a rifle yet that doesn't shoot these really well - closest I have ever found to being a magic load). I shoot between 2,500 and 6,000 per year on Prairie Dogs so cost savings add up. This is subjective but I haven't noticed any difference in their explosiveness.

I also shoot a lot of A-Max's. This is just a general comment. Ten years ago Hornady match bullets never performed as well for me as Berger's or Sierra. For the last serval years they are second to none. If I remember correctly it was 5 or 6 years ago when Hornady started a big push to get a bigger market share of match shooters so I am guessing QC will have improved across the line.

Tripplebeards
09-26-2019, 10:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=268&v=akJ01FhlnC8

I have native friends that love M193 Ball in 12 twists for Caribou, Elk and Moose. Two or three quick shots to the lungs does the trick for them.

Wonder if I could do that with a foot or bike pump? Don’t own a compressor. I do have a portable jump pack with a compressor to air up tires but I think I could blow up a coyote with a straw faster the way it airs up tires.

tommag
09-27-2019, 01:40 AM
Wonder if I could do that with a foot or bike pump? Don’t own a compressor. I do have a portable jump pack with a compressor to air up tires but I think I could blow up a coyote with a straw faster the way it airs up tires.
I used to sell lambs to some eastern orthodox church guys for St. George's day feast. They would cut a slit in the leg and use a tube to blow them up with their mouths to facilitate skinning.

fcvan
09-27-2019, 02:48 AM
Lots of great ideas for shooting coyotes, different guns/calibers. Many years ago, there was a coyote problem. 10 acre farm, 12 stall horse barn with a relatively flat roof made a great platform. My brother and I took turns on over-watch. We had chickens cooped in one of the stalls with chain link fencing on the exterior which acted like natural bait I guess. Started out using a Mini-14 which was loud. Neighbors were no closer than 300 yards in any direction and they knew the coyotes were passing through our property so get to theirs. We switched to a 22lr with a 26" barrel using shorts. That rifle was damn quiet and head shots were an instant success with the shorts. Heck, my Red Ryder made more noise. Anyway, cleaned out the coyote problem . . . but then later

We had a neighbor who were foster parents and several of the kids were special needs. They would not always close the gate for the dog so we started losing chickens. This dog figured out it could jump that stall door inside the barn and he got a taste for chicken. My brother and I had graduated and moved out so Dad lost his 'watchmen.' Dad had run the dog off a couple of times and talked with the neighbors. Anyway, one night Dad hears a ruckus coming from the barn so out the door he went. This time, the dog charged at my dad who shot the dog with his 41 magnum, but it wasn't a clean kill. The dog limped home and the neighbors put him down at sunrise. Later that day they brought by a bunch of chicks from the feed store to make amends for the 20+ lost chickens. That wasn't necessary but the apology and gesture were appreciated. Heck, we had banty hens that would set on anything so we were always setting leghorn and reds eggs under the banty hen. Their eggs were good too but it took 8 banty eggs to make a breakfast. Some of the bantys would sneak off and brood a clutch so Dad took to placing an add for free banty hens. A Viet Namese family would come out and round them up. How and the heck did I go from coyotes to chickens. Oh yah, I ramble sometimes :-)

cwlongshot
09-27-2019, 07:42 AM
248942Same deal here!

I havent used my 40AR on one (WILL SOON!) but my G23 got one last summer! But I have been using a 10mm carbine and 155 Lyman Devastators for closer shooting. It is devastating to say the least!!
Then a 223 Bolt for longer ranges. 60g Vmax opens nicely. Out as far as I have been able to connect.
Shots to the noodle are immediately effective...

Good luck!!

CW

Tripplebeards
09-27-2019, 09:19 AM
248942Same deal here!

I havent used my 40AR on one (WILL SOON!) but my G23 got one last summer! But I have been using a 10mm carbine and 155 Lyman Devastators for closer shooting. It is devastating to say the least!!
Then a 223 Bolt for longer ranges. 60g Vmax opens nicely. Out as far as I have been able to connect.
Shots to the noodle are immediately effective...

Good luck!!

CW

You almost scalped that one!

cwlongshot
09-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Its actually a EXIT! ;):p

popper
09-27-2019, 11:52 AM
40 carbine interests me, 10mm would be better. 10" BO is good but I am thinking of getting the brace (ATF rulings may be problem). I do have the XD so the 40 carbine upper slapped on it would be fun IF they work OK. And if they don't break the plastic lower.

cwlongshot
09-27-2019, 12:21 PM
My ballistics from the 40 surpass the heaviest 10mm loads from my 6” G20.

I’m working on re chambering a 9mm bbl to 357sig next! THAT will be a awesome lil carbine round!

Most all folks who down talk the 40, acknowledge the 10 as good/better. Well the 40 in a longer bbl will Surpass the vel number for same weight bullets.

Enjoy!

CW

WinchesterM1
09-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Well I did some load development on the 150 FN and I think we have a winner other then one flyer(which was called, the rifle slipped off the rest). This is at 100 yards, I’m starting to like this 1/12 twist

Texas by God
09-29-2019, 02:34 PM
Speaking of coyotes, this morning my wife and I went out to check on things the way we do every early Sunday morning. We were in our Mule and as soon as we left the house a beautiful coyote trotted across the pasture. I whistled him/her to a stop about 200 yards away. Then I waved at it because the only guns on board were a .22 revolver and a sawed off 12. We hear them most every night but we haven't seen one in a while( they avoid the house for good reason). Time to get the 22-250 or an AR 5.56 out!