PDA

View Full Version : 32 HR mag cast bullet load?

barnabus
09-24-2019, 09:00 AM
I got a RCBS 100 grain SWC bullet mold. Looking at the Lyman 4th edition using Unique it has a starting load of 2.3 and a max load of 2.7 grains. These seem to be really weak. Online I see loads with cast using 3.0 plus charges. Anyone here got experience with the 32 HR Mag? Its a Ruger single six.Thanks

Hamish
09-24-2019, 09:23 AM
"single six 32 h&r load"

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=single+six+32+h%26r+mag+load&t=ipad&ia=web

Just like having a magic wand,,,,,[smilie=s:

mattw
09-24-2019, 09:39 AM
I really like 5.0 grains of HS6 with the 100 grain bullet.

Walks
09-24-2019, 02:22 PM
I don't use Unique for loads lighter then 4.5grs. Had a bad experience with light target loads in .38Spl a long time ago.

That's why I use TiteGroup or Bullseye.

I use the TiteGroup load from the Hodgdon Website.
Just one grain under Max gives excellent accuracy in my SSM 5.5" bbl'd Sixgun.

barnabus
09-24-2019, 03:31 PM
I don't use Unique for loads lighter then 4.5grs. Had a bad experience with light target loads in .38Spl a long time ago.

That's why I use TiteGroup or Bullseye.

I use the TiteGroup load from the Hodgdon Website.
Just one grain under Max gives excellent accuracy in my SSM 5.5" bbl'd Sixgun.

what bad experience with Unique?

Gus Youmans
09-24-2019, 05:04 PM
barnabus,

The .32 H&R Magnum section of the Lyman 4th Edition is curious in several ways. First, the starting loads for the 100 grain bullet are almost the same for both the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Magnum and, in the case of Bullseye and 231 powders, the starting loads for the .32 H&R Magnum are actually lower. Second, the CUP for the Lyman 75 grain bullet goes up to 20K while the CUP for the 100 grain bullet only goes up to 15K. I am not a ballistician and have no clue as to how this came about.

The only .32 H&R Magnum I have is an early SP101 and the loads I feed it are considerably warmer that what is listed in the Lyman 4th Edition but I suspect my gun is a little bit heavier built than the Single Six, so I will not opine on the wisdom of exceeding book loads in your gun. I don't use Unique in any of my .32s and have no clue as to its usefulness in those cases.

Gus Youmans

MT Gianni
09-25-2019, 09:17 PM
barnabus,

The .32 H&R Magnum section of the Lyman 4th Edition is curious in several ways. First, the starting loads for the 100 grain bullet are almost the same for both the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Magnum and, in the case of Bullseye and 231 powders, the starting loads for the .32 H&R Magnum are actually lower. Second, the CUP for the Lyman 75 grain bullet goes up to 20K while the CUP for the 100 grain bullet only goes up to 15K. I am not a ballistician and have no clue as to how this came about.

The only .32 H&R Magnum I have is an early SP101 and the loads I feed it are considerably warmer that what is listed in the Lyman 4th Edition but I suspect my gun is a little bit heavier built than the Single Six, so I will not opine on the wisdom of exceeding book loads in your gun. I don't use Unique in any of my .32s and have no clue as to its usefulness in those cases.

Gus Youmans

Turn the page to 327 Federal and a factory load rated at 42,000 PSI show cartridge loading maxing out at 22,000 psi. I have no idea what they were thinking and can find no other data that duplicates Lyman 4 cast manual.

Larry Gibson
09-26-2019, 11:48 AM
I got a RCBS 100 grain SWC bullet mold. Looking at the Lyman 4th edition using Unique it has a starting load of 2.3 and a max load of 2.7 grains. These seem to be really weak. Online I see loads with cast using 3.0 plus charges. Anyone here got experience with the 32 HR Mag? Its a Ruger single six.Thanks

I have lots of experience if 25+ years with the 32 H&R cartridge in a Ruger Single Six (6 1/2" barrel) and 10" Contender count. I also measure the pressure of loads using the Contender barrel via an Oehler M43 PBL. Currently there is little data available in published manuals (especially current ones like the #4 CBH) that utilizes the potential of the 32 H&R in strong revolvers such as the Rugers and S&Ws.

There currently is no SAAMI "standard" for the 32 H&R which is IMHO the reason most data is relegated to menial loads for use in the old alloy (some say "pot metal") framed H&R revolvers original made for the 32 H&R along with some replica SAAs being made for SASS competition. Original factory (Federal) with their 85 gr LSWC and 85 gr JHP "Magnum" loads produce 18,000 to 19,000 psi (measured). Given the most common use for the 32 H&R cartridge is in SASS cowboy action (I'm assuming that's what the manual makers are assuming.....) and a couple factories now make cowboy action loads that is the reason for the low end loads listed in current manuals.

A "search" of threads on the 32 S&&WL and the 32 H&R will find some data I have posted. I consider 5 gr of Unique to be a max load in the 32 H&R under 103 gr 313631 SWCs in my own Single Six. They run 27,200 psi in the Contender barrel. I consider 27 - 28,000 psi to be my own "max" psi level for use in my Single Six. For a standard load with Unique and that bullet I actually use 4.5 gr Unique which runs 1150 fps with excellent accuracy out of my Single Six. The Federal factory loads run 1050 fps out of my Single Six.

Here's the data from #3 CBH for my 313631

A test done by Ed Harris back in the day.........

Walks
09-26-2019, 12:23 PM
barnabus,

About 40 odd yrs ago, when the RCBS Little Dandy Powder Measure came out.
I used it to load about 1,000 .38Spl WC's. I was out of Bullseye at the time so I used a light charge of Unique.

Out of the 1,000 rds, I ended up with 3 bullets stuck in the bore of my old WW2 M&P.

I don't know if I made a mistake or not as I was Very Carefull.

Talked to My DAD about it. He said small charges of Unique in a Handgun were counter-productive. Which is why We used Bullseye When the Family loaded together.
My Dad started loading in the 1920's with a Lyman 310. So He was the Fount of all Reloading Knowledge as far as I was/am concerned.
I haven't come across anything yet to counter what He taught me.

Guess that doesn't really answer your question, but I haven't used small charges of Unique and haven't had a problem since.